New forum look & feel poll

Roland
Message added by Roland

This thread and the poll thread were accidentally merged. Credit goes to Boidster for this very witty poll. I did not make the poll. Go find Boidster in this thread and give him a rep because the poll is his. Sorry for the confusion!

Please choose the 7D2D metaphor which most closely matches your impression of the new forum look & feel  

58 members have voted

1. 1. How does the new forum make you feel, in 7D2D terms?

• No-scope headshot on a blinking Demolisher
    • Decent POI which could be upgraded into a solid base
    • On the one hand, two gun safes in the loot room, on the other hand neither safe has a gun you want
    • Cop spit destroyed critical relay, all blade traps and turrets are offline, but at least you have some ammo
    • Backpack fell through the world, lost several top-tier items
    • THEY TOOK AWAY LBD!!!

Text spacing is weird when typing, layout feels too simplistic / boring, and I'm not sure I like the username placement or at least the separation between posts. And I think the "Report Post" and "Share This Post" are too close together, I guarantee a lot of ppl will click the wrong one by accident. Maybe The Share This Post icon could sit next to the heart icon instead? The "Unread Content" feature needs polish, but otherwise awesome.

I would be interested to know what kind of shiny new features the moderators might have now though, if any.

Edited by Fox (see edit history)

The Unread Content folder at the top is pretty cool, Fox. It lists all new posts you have not yet read and has a number of cool filters you can enable to tailor it according to what you want. For example, for those who just want to see new posts by Madmole and faatal they can enable the Ownership filter and whenever they check the unread folder it will only be the posts from those users.

image.thumb.png.2c556b886f3fdb5e8e294ada78c697b6.png

17 minutes ago, Roland said:

The Unread Content folder at the top is pretty cool, Fox. It lists all new posts you have not yet read and has a number of cool filters you can enable to tailor it according to what you want. For example, for those who just want to see new posts by Madmole and faatal they can enable the Ownership filter and whenever they check the unread folder it will only be the posts from those users.

Couldn't care less who posts what. I'd love to be able to filter out categories like console section, Mods section, Announcements, etc, so I don't see them anymore, but that doesn't seem to be available to me. Instead, it offers other features that serves no purpose for me at all.

Also, it asks for confirmation for the "Mark site read" which is annoying, but that's minor I guess. At least it's there.

I will say though, I do like the fact that we can FINALLY attach full size images here now instead of those useless blurry thumbnail pics that couldn't even be expanded. Though I wonder if it'd be better to have thumbnail view in post and you have to click on the image to see full view... so that it doesn't take up so much space in a post as I'm sure ppl who posts pics of their creations will often post several pics in a single post, and having that many full size images load up could be an issue for some in terms of bandwidth.

9 minutes ago, Fox said:

Couldn't care less who posts what. I'd love to be able to filter out categories like console section, Mods section, Announcements, etc, so I don't see them anymore, but that doesn't seem to be available to me.

Could you follow the forums you're interested in, then use the "content from areas I follow" option?

2 hours ago, Roland said:

I see five stars at the top of this page on the left hand side. Do you not see that?

<snip>

Yes, I do indeed see that, no idea how we can vote threads. How are the threads rated as it used to be a drop-down on the top right-hand side?

8 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Could you follow the forums you're interested in, then use the "content from areas I follow" option?

YES! You can. I was in the middle of typing how and saw you beat me to it.  Just follow the forums you want and then use the follow filter in the unread content folder so you get content only from those. 

9 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Took me a bit of time to figure out how to make it work and make it default, but thanks, this is so much better. I guess that's one issue solved.

6 minutes ago, SMiThaYe said:

Yes, I do indeed see that, no idea how we can vote threads. How are the threads rated as it used to be a drop-down on the top right-hand side?

I'm not sure. I think you just select the number of stars. I didn't ever rate threads before so I don't have a reference to compare.

14 minutes ago, Fox said:

Took me a bit of time to figure out how to make it work and make it default, but thanks, this is so much better. I guess that's one issue solved.

Check out my followup. There is actually a way you can select which forums to filter to (without having to follow them). If you prefer.

12 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Check out my followup. There is actually a way you can select which forums to filter to (without having to follow them). If you prefer.

Ya, I tried it out but so far it doesn't seem to work as well as the first way of doing it (by following categories). For now, I'll just stick to the following thing as it works well and that's all that matters to me. I'm glad I can filter out most of the categories as it used to take so long to sift through it all just to find the ones I cared about... and sometimes, I would miss out on the good ones due to poor topic title choice. This one feature feels like a game changer for me.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

I just tried Ctrl mouse wheel and it worked. Ctrl + and Ctrl - also work

Of course it works, please read again what I said. I'm looking for an option on the forum itself, not a workaround which works by resizing EVERY website you open in your browser, that's not what I'm asking for. Thanks for understanding!

I am liking it so far.  All the helpful things I relied on appear to be working.

• Unread Content link
  • Beginning, Last, and choose your own page of a thread
  • Quoting Feature
  • Easily readable on mobile
  • Enhanced profile features

The only thing on my wish list is a larger PM limit.  Did that improve by any chance? :p

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

Oh, I should probably mention this before I forget again... but I cannot edit a post and add a new quoted post to it, it instead overrides the previous post completely.

This would be nice to fix to prevent unnecessary multi-posting.

It would also be nice to have the option to limit how many posts load per page as it can get a little scroll crazy sometimes.

I also tried reporting a post (mainly for testing purposes) and found a few issues. Number 1, the screen flickers like crazy while listening to Youtube content in the background (mainly when Youtube auto-loads the next video)... no idea why it's related. Also, I'm not even sure the Report Post feature works at all cuz I got this message after reporting:

fhjkjkj.thumb.png.d8468d3056c7dd250ec2bbee1d5d132f.png

3 minutes ago, Roland said:

Life stinks and everyone is stinky and stinkiness is all I talk about! Also let me tell you about some time share properties using Korean:

당신이 즐길 콘도는 매우 아름답고 저렴합니다. 삶과 삶의 영광과 사랑입니다. 모든 작업을위한 간단하고 편리한 솔루션입니다. 이 콘도에서 생활하기 전에는 행복하지 않았습니다. 내 저렴한. 무이 코모도. 당신은 섹시한 짐승이 될 것입니다.

(Please try reporting this post--anyone)

Reported! 😛

7 minutes ago, Roland said:

Life stinks and everyone is stinky and stinkiness is all I talk about! Also let me tell you about some time share properties using Korean:

당신이 즐길 콘도는 매우 아름답고 저렴합니다. 삶과 삶의 영광과 사랑입니다. 모든 작업을위한 간단하고 편리한 솔루션입니다. 이 콘도에서 생활하기 전에는 행복하지 않았습니다. 내 저렴한. 무이 코모도. 당신은 섹시한 짐승이 될 것입니다.

(Please try reporting this post--anyone)

Hmm, reporting worked that time. Maybe I wasn't fast enough last time and you deleted the post before I could report it leaving an error instead?

also, lol on the Korean translation.

오류를보고하고 싶습니다. 
The contrast on new post titles is kinda weak - light grey text on a white background. 
Also, huh, using the Korean IME keyboard it actually posts in a different font even for English. I would not have expected that.

Also also, word-wrapping goes wonky in that Korean/English font so I had to use hard returns.

image.png.3150f30b8694c5b8961cf894a7e0c5b0.png

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)