New forum look & feel poll

Roland
Message added by Roland

This thread and the poll thread were accidentally merged. Credit goes to Boidster for this very witty poll. I did not make the poll. Go find Boidster in this thread and give him a rep because the poll is his. Sorry for the confusion!

Please choose the 7D2D metaphor which most closely matches your impression of the new forum look & feel  

58 members have voted

1. 1. How does the new forum make you feel, in 7D2D terms?

• No-scope headshot on a blinking Demolisher
    • Decent POI which could be upgraded into a solid base
    • On the one hand, two gun safes in the loot room, on the other hand neither safe has a gun you want
    • Cop spit destroyed critical relay, all blade traps and turrets are offline, but at least you have some ammo
    • Backpack fell through the world, lost several top-tier items
    • THEY TOOK AWAY LBD!!!

9 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

why is there no cancel when a person starts posting  but decides to back out?

only option as i had someone tell me is just the "Submit Reply" and that is true.

I've been resorting to hitting the refresh button. Didn't cross my mind to mention it though.

Edited by Fox (see edit history)

I reported this to Brains. Also for those who are now confused I tried moving Unholy Joe's feedback post to the feedback thread but instead accidentally merged the threads! Still a learning curve but now I know what to do...

As for this....well now we have feedback and poll merged together.

I rather like it compared to what you were using before, Layout is much better and it seems a hell of a ton faster than it used to. As for the pole I picked "Decent POI which could be upgraded into a solid base. " Its pretty well done just needs a few tweaks here and there that people have already mentioned to make it no-scope demo tier XD.

Edited by Scyris (see edit history)

Only thing I'm sure could be better is it needs higher-contrast text still, a darker background for the dark theme might do it.  Get somebody with old eyes in there, low-contrast text is great for advertising copy and other novelty/attention-seeking contexts but it sucks for older eyes.

Haven't found how to lose the avatar pics, when thread-reading, they suck up so much space you can't see more than three posts in a conversation.  ffs I could see more on a 1960's 3270 with a 24×80 text screen. If you really can't turn them off I'd say that's going to be my vote for worst feature ever.

Everything else looks like it's there just a matter of getting used to the new setup.  I like the expando toggles, could wish for checkbox selections for selective "mark read" ops and such but I know that's soaring pretty high up there in first-world-problems territory.

How do I go to private messages section? I can't see any option for that. Is it even there? This new look is killing me.

EDIT:

Nevermind, it's this little unintuitive icon... UqP0Bjn.png

We are on the discussion forum. Icon which shows two dialogue bubbles could mean all sorts of things. Private messages don't really come to my mind when looking at it. Just my opinion...

Edited by mr.devolver (see edit history)

20 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

why is there no cancel when a person starts posting  but decides to back out?

only option as i had someone tell me is just the "Submit Reply" and that is true.

Screenshot_2020-04-28 New forum look feel poll.png

I guess the devs decided a cancel button wasn't needed since if you decide not to make the post, just scroll away from it and continue reading or go to a new page.

sleek and fast. really did not like the interim forums, everything was very clunky.

one feature from the classic forum i miss very much: when a person is replied to using the quote function, as a reader you used to be able to click on the quote header somewhere to take you back to the original post the quote came from. cannae do that now /sadface.

edit: in classic internet fashion, after not seeing it for three days, i find the function to the side. suddenly, by magic!

Edited by sinda
aliens (see edit history)

Not a fan of the new dark color scheme. It looks washed out and pale. A darker black would be better for better contrast. The slow fade in when going to the next page is a bit annoying but other than those two things it seems to function quite well.

• Roland featured this topic

My dreams come true.^^

phF9bbW.png

Seriously, it's not intentional, right?

I'm missing some important formatting features, i.e. font settings and tables. ATM, I can't even select a monospace fonts to imitate tables. However, the general design looks good and is much more modern than the old one.

Edited by Pille (see edit history)

Like the general look of things.

Agree w @mr.devolver that the Private Messages icon doesn't seem right... I think the two thought 'balloons' should be side-by-side...:caked:

Question, is there a way to -delete- your own, recently posted, post?

The lack of a Cancel button in a Reply/Quote is really annoying. I often have to use the Quote option in order to view hyperlinks to content folks post (some pic sources & youtube vids, etc) since I use FF w NoScript.

Example, was trying to find the YT vid from this thread;

link wise all I can see is "" [video=youtube_share;n6XzyWVGss4] "" (the n6XzyWVGss4 portion isn't found via youtube search) even with youtube.com allowed in NoScript. And trying to see the full link by Quoting doesn't work w new forums. There's just a large empty box.

I voted for the gun safes. I much prefer the older system with the red and yellow theme. I'll refer to it as alpha 16 which I liked. The one prior to this one I'll call alpha 17, which I very much disliked. This version I'll call alpha 18, which is better than 17.