Horde Night is DEAD

My group are currently playing with Blood Moons turned off, to see what difference it makes.

It's actually quite surprising how much better (in my opinion) it makes the game. As the primary builder for our group it makes a huge difference to me in that I'm not spending half my time trying to build/repair a horde-night structure (we wouldn't dream of spending horde night in our primary base) and I can devote more time to scavenging and questing with the others in the group.

We still need to make our primary base defensible against wandering hordes and screamer hordes, so it's not as if it takes that side of the game away completely, but it is very freeing and makes it much easier for us to take things at our own pace.

If you're the sort of player who must get as much XP as possible as quickly as possible then I can see that you might want to keep using horde night, but for the rest of us it's just a chore and I'd recommend switching it off like we've done. Unless there are major changes to the way the game works, we're unlikely to ever switch it back on in future games.

(Note: this isn't intended as a negative "horde night sucks" post - but a positive "having the option to switch off horde night if you don't enjoy it is great" post.)

But what's the purpose ? I've always felt like everything I do during the playthrough is a way to get prepared to facing increasingly difficult horde nights. If I throw this out of the window, I fail to see how the game gives me any meaningful challenge at all.

The OP seems based on the premise that levels / skill points (and thereby increased GS) is a goal.

When I play I try to avoid gaining XP in order to keep the GS low as I scavenge and improve my gear.

During horde night I also rely on traps as much as possible for the same reason.

This is the first time I've seen specifically not-levelling and avoiding gaining XP as a goal...

Sign of a badly designed underlying system IMO.

I think the main problem with HN is that there is no incentive for fighting (rewards are crap and XP makes the game harder) and if you fail, you lose a lot more than your pride. Death Penalty alongside destroyed base (because they had to come in to get you, unless you ran out), appearing somewhere you will surely die again (with lack of belt equipment, bag or all) and all those bullets/bolts/resources lost.

In earlier versions it was "I can't escape this so i will make the bets fight there is", additionally getting cool rewards from the corpses. I enjoyed making towers from which i was shooting at zombies, while they tried to get to their base level through the traps i laid out. Later i gathered loot, repaired and moved on. Hell, i even ran around with a machete a few times, but that got boring after a while too.

Having an actual reward with added difficulty to the HN would benefit it tons. This would solve the problem of people missing out on it, because people would fear not being prepared for it and the game would allow this to some extent. Many people though, will die trying and even more succeed for the sake of reward. Someone at some other topic said, "reward the player, not penalize".

EDIT: @DaVegaNL - This is mainly because zombies are not well balanced (also in AI terms as A17 is an experiment for testing it), quests are not yet fully fleshed out and progression is not fully balanced yet. If you had clear progression in killing zombies (not to steep, but hard later on or perhaps a different factor for calculating gamestage) then this wouldn't be a problem.

This is the first time I've seen specifically not-levelling and avoiding gaining XP as a goal...

Sign of a badly designed underlying system IMO.

I guess TFP haven't learned from the mistakes of Oblivion. In that game you were heavily incentivized to designate the actual skills you were planning to use the most as "minor" skills, because increasing "major" skills would actually level your character and likely escalate the game world's threats too quickly to keep up with. It was completely ass-backwards and I remember feeling so relieved when the OOO mod replaced this system with more static threats in the world, so I'd finally have an actual reason to develop my character.

With 7DTD A17, leveling up feels mostly necessary to reduce tedious grind, there's only a few perks that feel like they expand gameplay in a meaningful way (which I personally think should be the purpose of perks). Hopefully the reworked perks and magazines will improve on this in A18.

More on topic: I don't skip horde nights, since I feel they're meant to be the challenge that the rest of this game prepares you for, but I do agree it's currently not working very well. I pretty much always end up exploiting the AI's inability to deal with height differences, as more "realistic" base designs just get trashed way too easily (especially at higher gamestages). The zombie block smashing strength, coupled with their janky animations, means "active" defenses are just not very viable unless you remove their ability to reach you at all.

Someone at some other topic said, "reward the player, not penalize".

That is one of the most misguided concepts I've ever seen - it surely sounds like a great concept, until you actually think what reward is, where will it lead and why are you happy after getting that reward. Sometimes you can make "punishment" look like a reward, which is a good thing overall, but in the end it is a matter of perspective. There can't be positive in the long-term without the negative, because it slowly stops being perceived as positive - it's that simple and it applies to everyone.

So, think about it: you want "rewards" in order to make BM worthwhile without being penalized. Why do you want them? Which is the ultimate goal? Perks, items? What is the purpose of those in the first place? Survival? Do you want to get rewarded in a BM with those, so that you can survive the ...rest of the time that you are barely threatened? And what is that about "don't penalize"? What is survival, other than the positive state on one side of the coin?

Seriously, I know everyone loves reward, but a little common sense won't hurt. Reward must be cleverly, prudently placed not handed out like confetii, otherwise it's not much of a reward.

But what's the purpose ? I've always felt like everything I do during the playthrough is a way to get prepared to facing increasingly difficult horde nights. If I throw this out of the window, I fail to see how the game gives me any meaningful challenge at all.

Having fun exploring, looting, and generally surviving the zombie filled world is its own reward. It doesn't need to be serving a purpose.

Having fun exploring, looting, and generally surviving the zombie filled world is its own reward. It doesn't need to be serving a purpose.

Is this a survival game or is this minecraft?

Yes exploring CAN be its own reward. But it shouldnt be the only one in a SURVIVAL game.

PPL have different tastes. And if it was just about exploration, it wouldnt be a survival game.

I said it before:

everything in 7d2d is focused on getting ready for hordenight.

leveling up.

getting ressources.

looting.

doing quests.

Everything is there so you stand a chance against the hordenight you know will come.

It is like if you play WoW but there is no PvP at the end.

Yeah sure the journey is its own reward, but the majority of players (at least those that continue playing) are there for PvP and high level raids. There would be something missing without it.

Why do you want a legendary ultra weapon, when a normal one more than does the job against normal monsters?

1 You can safely ride around on a vehicle for the duration of horde night. - Don't like it ? don't do it.

2 you find yourself making expensive repairs afterward. - That my friend has been in the game from day one and is a core part of the game.

3 If you make a base that does cheese the AI, you are likely doing this to gain XP. - See No 1

4 but we are still left with the same problem of expensive repairs and little reward. - See No 2

5 set a base and defend a base just for the sake of doing so... because it is fun. - See No2... and yes it is fun.

6 A no-XP mod solves some of the problem. - NOPE. See No2... and yes this MAY be a problem for some so just Mod it in.

7 There are many reports of people in multi-player who simply log off the server when horde night comes. This is true but if they want to play that way, let them.

One of the main things i like about 7DTD is you can play the game the way you like... i hate games that make you play one way and lock you down to that play style.

In short... let players play the way they want to, don't lock players down just be cause SOME players don't like a small part of the game.

Now there is one thing that i'm with the OP on 100% is that there does need to be more reward added. I loved the old days when you use to get ammo, gear and food ect off killing the Zombies and yes you now get all that from looting POI's but as the OP says removing the zombie loot has taken away from Horde nights.... Maybe add more and better drops from them just for Horde night ???

1 You can safely ride around on a vehicle for the duration of horde night. - Don't like it ? don't do it.

How are there still ppl spouting this nonsense. Sorry. But it is.

If you dislike hordenight, disable it.

But can you not see, how there is a difference in experience, when in Resident Evil, there is a button that instantly removes every threat?

Yeah sure "don't use it". But you will not feel the same stress as you would without because you secretly know you can simply avoid it no problem.

In fifa if there is an exploit where certain shots are op, why do you think people (in offline mode) tell the devs to fix it?

Because it is boring. "just don't use it" is such a lame excuse for bad design.

If you want to avoid hordenights just use the console to skip the time or disable the hordenight in the options.

But don't tell me that an exploit that makes part of the core design null and void is somehow a good thing for the game.

Just stop.

Yes you enjoy it. And I am happy for you. I also enjoy the skyrim bugs for its hillarity.

That doesnt mean it shouldnt be fixed. If I want these bugs back I can mod them back in. But the base game should be a bug/glitch/exploitfree game.

How hard is this to get?

2 you find yourself making expensive repairs afterward. - That my friend has been in the game from day one and is a core part of the game.

3 If you make a base that does cheese the AI, you are likely doing this to gain XP. - See No 1

4 but we are still left with the same problem of expensive repairs and little reward. - See No 2

5 set a base and defend a base just for the sake of doing so... because it is fun. - See No2... and yes it is fun.

6 A no-XP mod solves some of the problem. - NOPE. See No2... and yes this MAY be a problem for some so just Mod it in.

7 There are many reports of people in multi-player who simply log off the server when horde night comes. This is true but if they want to play that way, let them.

One of the main things i like about 7DTD is you can play the game the way you like... i hate games that make you play one way and lock you down to that play style.

In short... let players play the way they want to, don't lock players down just be cause SOME players don't like a small part of the game.

Now there is one thing that i'm with the OP on 100% is that there does need to be more reward added. I loved the old days when you use to get ammo, gear and food ect off killing the Zombies and yes you now get all that from looting POI's but as the OP says removing the zombie loot has taken away from Horde nights.... Maybe add more and better drops from them just for Horde night ???

You've set this up to list everything I say is wrong with horde night along with a simple disagreement without any reasoning behind them. Then you conclude that list by stating everyone should be able to play the game they want to.

Well what about me? Why can't I play the game I want to? Because you say so?

I want meaningful, satisfying events like you get in most games. Can't I have that?

Yes, the meaning of the game is lost without the night Horde.

Moreover - before it was risky just to go out at night from hiding, now it is possible to do a robbery the night, but why all this?

There is no motivation.

That is one of the most misguided concepts I've ever seen - it surely sounds like a great concept, until you actually think what reward is, where will it lead and why are you happy after getting that reward. Sometimes you can make "punishment" look like a reward, which is a good thing overall, but in the end it is a matter of perspective. There can't be positive in the long-term without the negative, because it slowly stops being perceived as positive - it's that simple and it applies to everyone.

So, think about it: you want "rewards" in order to make BM worthwhile without being penalized. Why do you want them? Which is the ultimate goal? Perks, items? What is the purpose of those in the first place? Survival? Do you want to get rewarded in a BM with those, so that you can survive the ...rest of the time that you are barely threatened? And what is that about "don't penalize"? What is survival, other than the positive state on one side of the coin?

Seriously, I know everyone loves reward, but a little common sense won't hurt. Reward must be cleverly, prudently placed not handed out like confetii, otherwise it's not much of a reward.

Considering that HN only penalizes the player currently, when in the past it awarded with a lot of loot which apart from repairing your base, was enough to make you feel progressing forward. Now you get only XP which increases difficulty and perhaps some bags if you're lucky enough, but most likely will give food.

To some extent we all are people who thrive to have the best possible way to play the game, some people only in little steps, but it's still there. You gain experience in the order of skills you unlock (first pack mule, perhaps stealth, Sex T-Rex or aim for the forge), what materials you need first (focus on wood or stone, dirt and sand later, etc.), where you explore (burning is good with building corners, desert is too vast, forest is always good, etc.), how you build your base (take over a POI, build something from scratch or dig into the ground) and many other aspects of the game. Along all of that is the enjoyment we get, but it doesn't mean we don't strive to GIT GUD.

Apart from what everyone said, there's not much more to be said about Horde Night.

- It SHOULD NOT be avoidable.

- It SHOULD be difficult.

- It SHOULD scale according to player progression, not faster nor slower. A good equilibrium is required in everything.

- It SHOULD give a sense of reward, unless it's only purpose will be to haunt the player (like the incoming hordes in They Are Billions). In its current state, it does neither of those.

- It SHOULD be satisfying as you kill the last zombie victorious.

- It SHOULD have a breather, so you don't have a WH on you 2 minutes after sunrise. I imagine HN as the gathering of EVERYTHING from around, i don't suspect a single group decide to wait till dawn to ambush me...

EDIT: n2n1 - Shortly after i started playing 7DTD i was scared of going outside at night, but i did try multiple times until i knew how to do it safely. Things worked different in the past, but it was still possible to out at night if you were careful.

You don't need to defend a base. You can safely ride around on a vehicle for the duration of horde night. You might say, so what? After all, shouldn't a person decide what they want to do in the game? Of course, they should. However, if you do this for every horde night, where is the challenge in the game? Why have horde night at all then? Wouldn't this get boring rather quickly?

It could, if you have vehicles. I do think there needs to be more risk to using vehicles on horde night. I don't think they need to be taken out of the picture entirely. I like playing against the hordes, so I doubt I'll ever take this option, or if I do it will be rare. However, I do like having a vehicle that can save my butt if the horde overruns my base/my base design fails. As for other players, who can say? Maybe they find horde nights ridiculous as a concept and would rather just deal with the day to day threat of zombies. But I think ppl who don't want to deal with the horde can already effectively turn it off/lengthen the time between hordes.

If you do make a base, and you make it so that it doesn't cheese the AI, you find yourself making expensive repairs afterward.

I guess it depends on what counts as 'cheesing' the AI. RN I and a couple of friends are using a maze base filled with iron spikes and blade traps with iron bars up above that allow for shooting down. So far, we're suffering minimal damage to the base and traps. Later horde nights might change that as their numbers overwhelm the dps of us and the base and that is entirely possible.

As the game progresses, you quickly realize the massive amounts of ammunition you have gone through. The zombies don't drop enough loot to make up for this. That is, if you were lucky enough to grab the very few loot bags that do drop before they despawn. What you probably have gained from this is a good amount of XP. But guess what, you've also increased your gamestage, so get ready to waste even more resources the next round. So, isn't it better to simply avoid horde night? Probably.

Agree so hard here. It's a huge bummer to watch loot bags drop and then despawn. Worse is if you manage to get a lootbag and it has a couple of beers in it. I do hope the loot tuning gets another pass. I know that some people want less xp and no loot at all from zombies, which is cool. But me? I'd like a treat or two that I can actually get after horde night. However, and this is something I go back and forth on in my own thoughts, should the horde compensate for the resources spent? Right now I'm in the 'mmm maybe it shouldn't' phase of thought.

We can accumulate resources pretty quick and with the introduction of steel casings, the biggest limiter we have is the ability to get nitrate. (I've gone on many a nitrate digging parties for this reason. In A16 it was brass that we were constantly hunting for.) Steel can be a pain if you're building that strong and the base is taking a lot of hits, but the materials to get steel are plentiful. So, it does make some sense to me that the horde nights deplete resources. Meaning that what we get out of them is far less than what we need to put in. Something has to balance our ability to stockpile or the threat lessens significantly.

What I'm less sure about when it comes to gamestage and resources spent is the POI spawning. If the resources required starts to consistently net the player less than what they must spend to get them, then IMO, that's a real problem as it puts it us in the position to use straight mining and maybe quests as a means of stopping the horde. I'm really pushing agility/stealth and perception/bow perks right now to see if the tipping point exists. I can reliably one shot regular cops, some ferals, and sometimes irratiateds with steel arrows and I think I still have another level in sneak shot to take. It's not entirely without risk and I've had a couple of instances of needing to pull out my trusty 9mm, but that's the exception rather than the norm. So, the resources I'm spending, at this point, are far less than what I'm usually getting. However, for my friends playing in the same server who haven't gone so heavy into those attributes/perks, their results are different, sometimes hugely.

I had another thought here, but it escaped due to lack of coffee.

I don't want to see vehicles go either.

I proposed a solution for that in another post.

Regrading the resources used when repairing after horde night, I want to clarify.

I don't expect to get back the resources. I have no problem spending time after to gain them back in prep for the next HN.

The problem is that there is no balance here. For what I have spent in resources and time I should get back in something special and worth the time and effort.

Since this discussion is the same since it arose with The first iteration of vehicles:

Bloodmoon is obviously different than any other night.

There is thunder before it is nighttime.

So why can't we say that the electromagnetic pulses off the bloodmoon somehow mess with the electronics (obviously not the bycicle).

In game terms:

every few minutes there is a chance on several debuffs or buffs (not all need to be added. adding one is enough but the more the better and more fun):

buffs:

vehicle is even faster than before (overcharged) but also damages the vehicle for 20%per ingamehour (calculate how much that is per second :D)

vehicle exhausts 5x the smoke than before, making zombies not hunt you anymore but uses 20x more fuel.

debuffs:

vehicles breaks dont work anymore and speed is locked in for the rest of the hordenight

vehicle randomly stops for a minute or until you use a repairkit on it. (dangerous midair)

vehicle is 80% slower than before

vehicles steering doesnt work anymore or is completely eradic (so the sensitivity is at 4000%)

there are more options that might not be as agressive.

or the simplest and basic method (and probably prefered method of tfps because they dont think little touches are worth it):

batteries go haywire on bloodmoon making batterybanks and vehicles unusable.

Tell me one reason someone shouldn't treat you like a troll with statements like "players being locked into a playstyle", at the time the game has a ridiculous amount of options to tailor your "playstyle".

So all you have is "no1" and "no2", which you like to redirect people to, so let's see.

The "don't like it, don't do it" catchphrase would be better used along something equally complex with... I don't know, making eggs for dinner or taking the dog for a walk or something. It's one of those things you expect to see on a Facebook wall:

[ "Don't like it, Don't do it" - Albert Eistein ] with a black and white sunset for a background.

We already have a ton of optional game elements *through a menu*, but I take it you don't know what "synergy" is either.

With the above logic, there is no reason to fix any exploit, there is no reason to have any limits at anything, we could even be able to fly, clip through everything and destroy mountains with a punch or whatever 'cause "don't like it don't do it", everything's cool. Stellar argument, always happy to see it.

"That has been in the game from day 1". Pretty strong point, can't refute it. If you do something for the sake of doing it and that has been in the game since day 1, god forbid that was changed. It is common knowledge that the more time something has been in the game, the more credit it gets, the more it matures, like a nice ol' bottle of whiskey, like an ageing vampire or smth. So the concept of doing something for the sake of doing it is clearly a core element.

And in the end, the classic moar rewards solution. Too much time wasted here.

I could go for something like that, sure. The only thing I worry about though, is wouldn't this mess with most of the traps we have for defense? Blade traps, dart traps, electric fence?

thats why i said batteries only.

generators still work fine because they are burning fuel and dont store electricity.

I dont know :D find a way to explain it :p or just say it only affects mobile electricity because it is too weak (a carbattery isnt weak per se but still weaker than a 1000w generator :D)

Considering that HN only penalizes the player currently, when in the past it awarded with a lot of loot which apart from repairing your base, was enough to make you feel progressing forward. Now you get only XP which increases difficulty and perhaps some bags if you're lucky enough, but most likely will give food.

Yes, in the past zombies acted as infinite delivery devices bringing loot right in front of your door, destroying any sense of item economy, completely inflating it and taking away some of the need for exploration. That is somewhat of a problem, no?

To some extent we all are people who thrive to have the best possible way to play the game, some people only in little steps, but it's still there. You gain experience in the order of skills you unlock (first pack mule, perhaps stealth, Sex T-Rex or aim for the forge), what materials you need first (focus on wood or stone, dirt and sand later, etc.), where you explore (burning is good with building corners, desert is too vast, forest is always good, etc.), how you build your base (take over a POI, build something from scratch or dig into the ground) and many other aspects of the game. Along all of that is the enjoyment we get, but it doesn't mean we don't strive to GIT GUD.

Atm the BM as a threat mechanism is as threaning as they come. There isn't anything more threatening. The exact point I am trying to make is: the greatest and foremost incentive to fight the horde must be survival - not rewards. Because if your survival isn't threatened in the most threatening event of the game and the main incentive is to get rewarded instead, there is not much meaning to that reward in the first place - since the purpose of the reward is continued survival. Unfortunately and unavoidably "threatened" means risk of loss. Can't have it any other way, that's what the core meaning is. Some complimentary rewards might work, but if there isn't something at stake, the whole concept will remain fallacious.

Apart from what everyone said, there's not much more to be said about Horde Night.

- It SHOULD NOT be avoidable.

- It SHOULD be difficult.

- It SHOULD scale according to player progression, not faster nor slower. A good equilibrium is required in everything.

- It SHOULD give a sense of reward, unless it's only purpose will be to haunt the player (like the incoming hordes in They Are Billions). In its current state, it does neither of those.

- It SHOULD be satisfying as you kill the last zombie victorious.

- It SHOULD have a breather, so you don't have a WH on you 2 minutes after sunrise. I imagine HN as the gathering of EVERYTHING from around, i don't suspect a single group decide to wait till dawn to ambush me...

1) Agree - this is the most important part by far.

2) Agree - at least compared to the rest of the game.

3) I guess it has to, even if I don't like the general scaling, BM is an event and it probably can't be helped. Some randomization is always vital though.

4) In an imaginary, ideal state, survival will be the best reward you can imagine, trust me on that.

5) Definitely.

6) Agree - chain deaths should be avoided (but deaths should matter equally and not like they ...don't atm, at least hope for an option).

RE: Guarding the LCB

It wouldn't make much difference to me either way except in MP. In MP, we can't all always be there. Defending a friendo's LCB wouldn't be hard because we all build a central base, but any friendo who couldn't make it to horde night then loses out. A single skill point isn't a huge loss though. If a server constantly has people jumping in and out, then there would definitely need to be a way to exclude bases/LCBs of people who just aren't playing when the server hits horde night.

RE: Bloodmoon electrical problems

Could be fun. I do think that either through repairing or learning to make 'better' systems, tools need to be available to offset the effects at some point.

Is this a survival game or is this minecraft?

It's both. 7 Days to die contains elements of different types of games. Basebuilding and the bloodmoon horde are for me rather elements from tower defense games than from classic survival games.

thats why i said batteries only.

generators still work fine because they are burning fuel and dont store electricity.

I dont know :D find a way to explain it :p or just say it only affects mobile electricity because it is too weak (a carbattery isnt weak per se but still weaker than a 1000w generator :D)

Is this magical Blood Moon EMP going to disable the logout button as well?

Just what battery/electronics in the bicycle did it impair?

Especially as the game now supports disabling the Blood Moon Horde right there in the in-game menu options, why are you so worked up about what other people do during the Blood Moon? However they choose to disable it, they will, and there's no system TFP could (reasonably) put in place that will stop that.

I just play with horde nights disabled now. It simply isn't fun dealing with the chore that is HN. It's easy enough to avoid even without vehicles if enabled and there is no reward for dealing with it head on. Why some people here cant understand giving HN some basic rewards for dealing with it, I will never know. I like how other games like terraria deal with there horde night by having unique enemies attack you on that night that give unique loot. Or say the game Dying Light where you get 2x exp for activities done during the night time, but say apply that instead for HN in 7days in some fashion. Until they give us a reason to deal with the horde directly, then I'll just play the game without HN or just avoiding the horde ontop of random pois or with a vehicle.

Is this magical Blood Moon EMP going to disable the logout button as well?

Just what battery/electronics in the bicycle did it impair?

Especially as the game now supports disabling the Blood Moon Horde right there in the in-game menu options, why are you so worked up about what other people do during the Blood Moon? However they choose to disable it, they will, and there's no system TFP could (reasonably) put in place that will stop that.

Maybe. I know it is the magical Blood Moon that makes zombies magicially attract to you without having any hint of where you could be. Maybe we should get rid of that as well.

You are correct. It is an option. So when I select "I want a hordenight" I don't need to handicap myself when I try to overcome that hordenight.

There is no solution to online logouts. And there is no solution to offline commands.

But both are not part of the game.

So if you think that logging off is the same as using vehicles, why are you making such a fuss about keeping this as it is?

You don't lose anything because you can still logout of put the settings on "no hordenight".

I lose tons and tons of immersion because I know at every second in the hordenight i can be safe by just using my vehicle.

But luckily TFPs agree with me in this one regard and are working on fixing these exploits.

- - - Updated - - -

I just play with horde nights disabled now. It simply isn't fun dealing with the chore that is HN. It's easy enough to avoid even without vehicles if enabled and there is no reward for dealing with it head on. Why some people here cant understand giving HN some basic rewards for dealing with it, I will never know. I like how other games like terraria deal with there horde night by having unique enemies attack you on that night that give unique loot. Or say the game Dying Light where you get 2x exp for activities done during the night time, but say apply that instead for HN in 7days in some fashion. Until they give us a reason to deal with the horde directly, then I'll just play the game without HN or just avoiding the horde ontop of random pois or with a vehicle.

+1 for your right to choose this way.

I dont want to. I want to be forced to build and level up to face the bm horde.

I dont want to. I want to be forced to build and level up to face the bm horde.

And if the implementation is optional then I'd have no objection. I don't want though, my vehicle to magically stop working on BH night while I'm out looting and my friend is guarding the base say, just so that one of the un-countably many ways BM nights can be avoided is closed off.

Archived