Did hatches change in 17.2?

Havic

I want to place a generator in a hole and cover it with a hatch. So I have 3 x 3 grid of blocks (wood, stone, iron,...) take out the center block and put in a generator either mounting it to the bottom or one of the sides. I try to place an iron hatch on top and it break and falls through. This worked in 17.1... The same thing if I want to place an electrical switch in a hole and cover it, the hatch falls and breaks. Should it? Yes I can put it two deep with a ladder but I shouldn't have to. Should I?

I believe that 17.1 must have been the anomaly. As long as I can remember you have always needed a ladder in the space below the top of the shaft in order to support the hatch and keep it from falling. I can't say if it was true or not in 17.1 as I have never tried to place a hatch WITHOUT a ladder since forever since I always fully expected it to fall without one.

If you place a block next to the hatch (before placing the hatch) the hatch will actually stay attached to the nearby block without falling. This is just a stupid work around, I actually would prefer if they fixed it

The only way they could fix it would be to make hatches be 2-block shapes. There is no single block in the game that can be placed to float in the air above a vertical shaft and not fall and hatches are no exception. If they leave the hatches as they are and remove gravity from them so they can float then "hatch elevators" will be the least of the exploits you'll be able to do with hatches.

Back in A16.4 you didn't need a ladder or other object under the hatch for it to hold up. In fact, for as long as I've been playing, you could place a hatch on the side of blocks and they wouldn't break. You could use them as a walkway that could be lifted to prevent zombies from crossing a gap. In A16.4, I had a kill pit that was a 2x2 shaft, with 4 upside down hatches at the top that would open down to let zombies fall down the shaft into the kill zone below. Beginning in A17, hatches would no longer stay when placed on the edge of a block without something supporting it underneath.

EDIT: I may have had to place ladders directly under the hatches when I first placed them, but if I did, once the ladders are removed the hatches remained in place. I had to put upside down hatches at the top of my kill pit to prevent players from falling down the shaft and dying, Using vault hatches didn't really work so well, it was the iron hatches that were perfect.

Back in A16.4 you didn't need a ladder or other object under the hatch for it to hold up. In fact, for as long as I've been playing, you could place a hatch on the side of blocks and they wouldn't break. You could use them as a walkway that could be lifted to prevent zombies from crossing a gap. In A16.4, I had a kill pit that was a 2x2 shaft, with 4 upside down hatches at the top that would open down to let zombies fall down the shaft into the kill zone below. Beginning in A17, hatches would no longer stay when placed on the edge of a block without something supporting it underneath.

EDIT: I may have had to place ladders directly under the hatches when I first placed them, but if I did, once the ladders are removed the hatches remained in place. I had to put upside down hatches at the top of my kill pit to prevent players from falling down the shaft and dying, Using vault hatches didn't really work so well, it was the iron hatches that were perfect.

This is not true. Hatches work just fine with a block next to them and always have. I use several without anything under them because my bunker base entrance is essentially a fall. As the above poster mentioned, a plate placed next to the hole is the simplest and least ascetically intrusive way to secure a hatch.

- - - Updated - - -

The only way they could fix it would be to make hatches be 2-block shapes. There is no single block in the game that can be placed to float in the air above a vertical shaft and not fall and hatches are no exception. If they leave the hatches as they are and remove gravity from them so they can float then "hatch elevators" will be the least of the exploits you'll be able to do with hatches.

There is, IMHO, a better fix - there needs to be an upper and lower hatch block. One is the door placed at the top of the block rather than at the bottom as they are all designed for atm. That would allow us to slot the hatch into a floor and actually still have a floor without ugly plate blocks to attach them to.

This is not true. Hatches work just fine with a block next to them and always have. I use several without anything under them because my bunker base entrance is essentially a fall. As the above poster mentioned, a plate placed next to the hole is the simplest and least ascetically intrusive way to secure a hatch.

What part of what I said isn't true, and by "a block next to them" do you mean on the left/right, or on the side (behind) that the hatch opens towards? Like I previously said, in A16.4 I had a kill pit that had 4 iron hatches, 2x2, at the top that opened downwards. It was so long ago, and I'm not big on building...just trying to make sure we all know how this and that works, so if I'm wrong, I'd like to know and be sure what is right. :)

EDIT: Funny story about my kill pit...A new player joined the server I was on through out A16. My base and kill pit with hatches were finished, and I would host horde nights for whoever wanted to join me (sometimes a dozen or more people would show). Shortly before horde night started a new player showed up to seek refuge with us down in my bunker. I showed him the hatches covering the shaft, opened them up, and before I could lead him to the public access door leading down into the upper part of the bunker, the poor guy jumps into the shaft and dies, thinking that was the way in. There were about 6 of us standing there, just looking at the hole the way Master Sergeant Farrel looked at Tom Cruise in Edge of Tomorrow when he tried to sneak off and got run over by the truck, lol.

What part of what I said isn't true, and by "a block next to them" do you mean on the left/right, or on the side (behind) that the hatch opens towards? Like I previously said, in A16.4 I had a kill pit that had 4 iron hatches, 2x2, at the top that opened downwards. It was so long ago, and I'm not big on building...just trying to make sure we all know how this and that works, so if I'm wrong, I'd like to know and be sure what is right. :)

EDIT: Funny story about my kill pit...A new player joined the server I was on through out A16. My base and kill pit with hatches were finished, and I would host horde nights for whoever wanted to join me (sometimes a dozen or more people would show). Shortly before horde night started a new player showed up to seek refuge with us down in my bunker. I showed him the hatches covering the shaft, opened them up, and before I could lead him to the public access door leading down into the upper part of the bunker, the poor guy jumps into the shaft and dies, thinking that was the way in. There were about 6 of us standing there, just looking at the hole the way Master Sergeant Farrel looked at Tom Cruise in Edge of Tomorrow when he tried to sneak off and got run over by the truck, lol.

If they were opening downwards into the shaft then most likely they were at the top of the first block down, so of course no block up top or a ladder needed. They were attached to the side walls of the shaft. If they were on top of the ground level then they HAVE to have a ladder below them OR a block beside them. Nothing has changed about that from A16 to A17.

What part of what I said isn't true, and by "a block next to them" do you mean on the left/right, or on the side (behind) that the hatch opens towards?

Beginning in A17, hatches would no longer stay when placed on the edge of a block without something supporting it underneath.

They stay when placed on the edge of another block the same way that they did in 16.4. The location of the block does not matter - behind, next to or in front works just fine.

If they were opening downwards into the shaft then most likely they were at the top of the first block down, so of course no block up top or a ladder needed. They were attached to the side walls of the shaft. If they were on top of the ground level then they HAVE to have a ladder below them OR a block beside them. Nothing has changed about that from A16 to A17.

Indeed no ladder would be possible if it was placed inside the shaft to open downward. No two blocks can be placed in the same space.

No need to float, the conversation was about having it over a generator or a switch. I say just make generators and switches able to support blocks

They stay when placed on the edge of another block the same way that they did in 16.4. The location of the block does not matter - behind, next to or in front works just fine.

Ah, yes. The 2x2 placement had blocks on the sides, so that it was all nice and flush. Works great to keep zombies out when not in use, and players who aren't paying attention.

Indeed no ladder would be possible if it was placed inside the shaft to open downward. No two blocks can be placed in the same space.

Without a modding glitch you mean :). I have placed a storage crate, the one in RH marked as having Font B. For some reason they are contrary as hell to place and I accidentally placed one inside the other. Now I have a secret stash. If I look at the storage box I see an inventory...If I look slightly to the corner (and only the corner) I see a totally different storage inventory. You can tell there are 2 boxes as the word storage is on it twice, once right side up and once upside down.

Wanted to say that wall safes are two blocks in one spot, but just checked that they use a block in front of them, meaning it's a simple tweak.

We already can determine that there are solid blocks (like wood, iron, bricks, concrete, etc. with various shapes), but also functionals like ladders, doors, containers and decorative like sofas, plants and curtains. Why not add a possibility to stack blocks on top of each other (what can be stacked will be defined in the blocks themselves)?

what if it was made into a ladder hatch, so when you open it down you could then climb up it

That only solves a problem that does not exist: When there is a hatch on top of a ladder.

The reason why certain models don't support blocks are "Block appears to be floating" tickets.

I want to place a generator in a hole and cover it with a hatch. So I have 3 x 3 grid of blocks (wood, stone, iron,...) take out the center block and put in a generator either mounting it to the bottom or one of the sides. I try to place an iron hatch on top and it break and falls through. This worked in 17.1... The same thing if I want to place an electrical switch in a hole and cover it, the hatch falls and breaks. Should it? Yes I can put it two deep with a ladder but I shouldn't have to. Should I?

i think the SI of electrical parts has changed, not the hatches. it sounds like relays and generators no longer support blocks above them, not sure if this is a feature or a bug. you just need to add a block to give the hatch something to support it from the side: plates and siding are the lowest profile/least noticeable but anything will do

i think the SI of electrical parts has changed, not the hatches. it sounds like relays and generators no longer support blocks above them, not sure if this is a feature or a bug. you just need to add a block to give the hatch something to support it from the side: plates and siding are the lowest profile/least noticeable but anything will do

This has not changed compared to the A16. Already in A16 it was not possible to put a hatch over a generator/relay without the hatch being supported by another block. The generator/relay itself does not support the hatch.

If the generator/relay was installed outside I usually made the hole 2 blocks deep and put a ladder over the generator/relay. Inside I mostly used a wall to support the hatch.

Archived