Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Something I've pitched over the years but nothing that ever gets on the roadmap, because you have to ask yourself... do I want elevators more, or bandits? Do we want to fix what was wrong with 17 or add more sandbox stuff that only mid gamers will appreciate. The rational voice wins every time, but once those heavy decisions are out of the way we might be able to get it in, or perhaps with grand master Faatal and his new trusty side kick Dude K, we can it in sooner or later.

so many chooses

@MadMole

Serious question: is it more that it's a dislike, because prefering a different API is totally valid, or is there something that seems backward/counter productive?

Note I'm avoiding using the term stupid... Trying to be productive here.

The Unity Engine natively supports it and there have been realworld tests that show it runs very well in most cases. ...I'm just trying to gather if it's even worth discussing legitimate points of confusion or if TFP is too tightly tied to DirectX currently.

I honestly don't know what it is, I've looked it up at least 5 times in the last several years and then go "Oh well that's a no go" over something and delete it. I'm not going to bother looking it up again, until a team member says "We've got to add Vulcan support and shows me why, its going to remain deleted in my head.

@Madmole

I am trying to figure out a spiral type base with traps ending at a door. Would the zombies just bash through a straight line to me or follow my route. Am not very interested in creating a square block surrounded by spikes as it reduce building creativity.

That is the fun about it, try stuff out and see what works. Every 7 days you get a new chance to learn!

Love this direction. Food was a non issue most of the time.

Yes, its my design so I obviously love it :) Food poisoning was a meh non issue, got to thinking about it, and what happens when you get food poisoning? You throw up! What have players been wanting? A way to use up all that food they stockpile. Well here it is. I'd prefer it happen more often tbh, but too much would be bad. We'll see how it plays, so far I like it, it has put a little dent in my food supply, I could withstand one or two more vomits, but beyond that I'd dip into my canned foods for sure.

It will be nice to see some of the earlier foods have a higher chance vs the more complex meals vs. A flat 2% across all foods

We could do that, but the problem is the early game foods are what people have access to. So I think the flat 2% for cooked foods is good, your incentive is that high calorie meals solve the problem with less chances to happen. If it were higher on low tier foods then it might be too harsh early on. So we'll try this and tweak it if needed.

I used to be the projectionist at a arthouse cinema and played this one maybe 100 times. Loved it each time!

One of my ex-girlfriends was a total gore and horror movie fan, books about serial killers and trying to get into their heads kinda girl (I probably should have been worried)...until I played her this and laughed pretty much all the way through it. She was totally disgusted and horrified about my reaction - and starting to think me a sicko and get worried that I might have latent psychopathic tendencies. I mean, how can anyone laugh at the zombie-baby-in-a-blender? The dentist pulling zombie teeth joke? The custard? Lol. So many great scenes in that movie.

But apparently it's not cool to laugh at it or people start to doubt their safety around you.

Maybe you are not with the right people :)

@Madmole in a few alphas will there be like Different weather Like Sandstorms or something crazier?

and will there be new defenses/traps ?

Probably not and maybe. I'd like to see a bear trap you can reset every BM and do a little repair on here and there that is pretty awesome, and a flamethrower trap.

1 rank of cardio, 1 strength, 2 pack mule. Then you are set up on the next level to grab your next pack mule and be good on encumbrance once you get some pockets made/found, and set yourself up for some sex rex and mining down the road.

For me, Pack Mule will have to wait, I like your other suggestions for a good baseline melee/miner build. I will be hoping for some pocket mods. :)

Probably not and maybe. I'd like to see a bear trap you can reset every BM and do a little repair on here and there that is pretty awesome, and a flamethrower trap.

@madmole I also think a Flinger that uses air pressure and springs to Fling Zombies or break there legs and a Tesla Trap its a compacted Box with a Car Battery and 3 Tesla coils with exposed Cable and Zaps zombies but uses A lot of power

Yes, its my design so I obviously love it :) Food poisoning was a meh non issue, got to thinking about it, and what happens when you get food poisoning? You throw up! What have players been wanting? A way to use up all that food they stockpile. Well here it is. I'd prefer it happen more often tbh, but too much would be bad. We'll see how it plays, so far I like it, it has put a little dent in my food supply, I could withstand one or two more vomits, but beyond that I'd dip into my canned foods for sure.

Was diarrhea replaced with throwing up or do both exist with separate purposes?

Was diarrhea replaced with throwing up or do both exist with separate purposes?

Dysentery gives you diarrhea and drains all your water out when you randomly poop. Even boiled water, like food has a 2% chance of dysentery. Dysentery goes away faster if you drink goldenrod tea. It has a timer and counts down and then goes away on its own.

So food poisoning drains your food, dysentery drains all your water. (both mimic real life, because diarrhea dehydrates you, and food poisoning makes you barf)

Dysentery gives you diarrhea and drains all your water out when you randomly poop. Even boiled water, like food has a 2% chance of dysentery. Dysentery goes away faster if you drink goldenrod tea. It has a timer and counts down and then goes away on its own.

So food poisoning drains your food, dysentery drains all your water. (both mimic real life, because diarrhea dehydrates you, and food poisoning makes you barf)

sweet

- - - Updated - - -

I hope that some zombies Get some TLC like new look's and other stuff one day

I have a question if you do get like different weather events that is if you do will it effect the growth time of crops or give the player a debuff etc?

No none of that. We're not interested in complicating the game right now. I was able to find time and remove the punishing effects of weather for now, we can add a more hardcore version in the future, at least now its reasonable.

In the cold you will burn more calories, so take lots of food with you.

In the heat you will burn more water, so take lots of fluids.

No more attribute debuffs or nasty things until we can do a full rewrite, but this new lite version might be good enough tbh. Starvation or dehydration can kill you so it might be fine as is.

Archived