Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Fewer biomes make the game look crappier, not more biomes. Sorry, but you're wrong.

Each biome used to serve a purpose, but now the only real differences are body temperature buffs.

I know it's a moot argument, you're hell bent on optimization so extras have to go, AND it's mostly moddable, but saying it visually sucks and nobody cares is incorrect.

I'm saying in context to the bigger problems nobody cares. The first step is fixing RWG then we can improve it to support larger sub biomes. Everyone wants a good RWG and nobody is dropping neg reviews saying thumbs down only having 5 biomes is BS. A whole biome of flat boring grass is just too much. A few acres though? Awesome. Everyone needs to take a breather and let the master plan unfold FFS.

I'm really enjoying Damocles' NitroGen RWG. I've got it set up with the Compopack POI's and have made some really interesting maps with it. I've tweaked the settings to my play-style - removed water, tweaked the trader locations, added back wasteland and burnt forest (which are just small areas), adjusted the size of the cities and so on. I don't think the game needs tons of biomes as long as variety/interest is there in other ways.

Wasteland and burnt forest are in vanilla. I'm confused.

Again, biomes do not need to visibly vary that much, just because the only remaining biomes are visibly completely different does not mean all of them have to be.

Well, call them all snow, fine. But behind the scenes, they are providing transition.

Agreed. Better transitioning would be more visually appealing and I agree with you that there could be more biomes that are not so distinct from what we have now. I just think that the community in general wouldn't see it as the different biomes they were hoping for and it would leave them sour. Calling them transitioning biomes would be good but there would still be an outcry for jungles, lava, swamp, etc. Many wouldn't see those additions as "real" biome variety.

If that is how you are defining different biomes then I agree but the sense I get from most posts is that people want Jungle, Swamp, Mooshroom,...etc and that most of them would call Snow Forest, Snow Plains, and Snow Mountains all "snow".

They'd probably scream foul if Joel tried to say "We have two new biomes coming in A18....presenting Sparse Forest and Deep Forest!" ;)

Once we get the adjustable sub biome size we'll have at least 988773324 new biomes coming.

If the whole issue is the ground texture then just have your three ground textures... Biomes are so much more than the ground. Spectrums, foliage, pois, weather, resources, animals...

Anyway, let's see what sub biomes can do once Robert is finished working his magic.

In the meantime please unlock the max biome count for those of us that do like variety. :)

That would be one hell of a mess of XML, no thanks. Sorry but flat plains do not warrant their own biome, they might return when we get the right tools. Biomes has nothing to do with RWG. We've solved the repetitive POI problem and can allow only 1 within one township so no duplicates any more.

The messy XML part is only because of all the copy pasting of those sub-biomes for ore and decorations. If the biomes.xml file would support some extending it could quickly become a really clean and readable xml file. Biomes has everything to do with RWG, it is the soul of it if you ask me, empowering it. POIs are the icing on the cake though, together they can make great things happen. I am looking forward to what solution you guys come with though, since there are many routes to take to make the random world into a wonder. I am already happy that RWG is in scope for A18 as core feature :)

Agreed. Better transitioning would be more visually appealing and I agree with you that there could be more biomes that are not so distinct from what we have now. I just think that the community in general wouldn't see it as the different biomes they were hoping for and it would leave them sour. Calling them transitioning biomes would be good but there would still be an outcry for jungles, lava, swamp, etc. Many wouldn't see those additions as "real" biome variety.

I don't agree with that. I think going that far would be bad for the game. I can see maybe a swampy area being somewhere in a forest, but the others don't make sense to me. Why would there be any zombies in such remote areas? Could you imagine a cheerleader zombie in the middle of the Amazon? Football player emerging from a volcano? That's silly.

Unless they could do some serious occlusion magic, dense vegetation in this game for a jungle just isn't going to happen. I keep my tree farm at a distance for a reason.

I don't agree with that. I think going that far would be bad for the game. I can see maybe a swampy area being somewhere in a forest, but the others don't make sense to me. Why would there be any zombies in such remote areas? Could you imagine a cheerleader zombie in the middle of the Amazon? Football player emerging from a volcano? That's silly.

You don't agree with what? That the general player base wants silly additions to the game?

I'm not telling you that people make sense. I'm telling you what they want when they say they want additional biomes. Many of our player base migrated from Minecraft....

I think folks would rather have the ability to make canned versions of stew and shiz. But, yes definitely the canned food needs more use. For reference:

- Canned salmon is used in Fish Tacos

- Canned chili is used in chili dog

- Can of dog food is used in Grandpa's Lern' Elixur

And I think that's it. Canned sham is just canned sham it's not used in anything. Perhaps, remove that recipe and instead have canned sham to be ued in the hobo stew instead. Since they both require rotten meat, rotten meat to make can of sham and the hobo stew.

Its used in Sham Chowder. If you guys want to brainstorm what to do with the remaining cans of food that puts them in a unique interesting recipe, share it. That doesn't mean new pie in the sky recipes, it means post me a recipe using xml of a new food item using the cans we have that makes sense. Please post your ideas like this:

Sham Chowder Recipe:

<recipe name="foodShamChowder" count="1" craft_area="campfire" craft_tool="toolCookingPot" tags="learnable">

<ingredient name="foodShamSandwich" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="foodCropPotato" count="2"/>

<ingredient name="foodCropCorn" count="2"/>

<ingredient name="drinkJarBoiledWater" count="1"/>

</recipe>

You don't agree with what? That the general player base wants silly additions to the game?

I'm not telling you that people make sense. I'm telling you what they want when they say they want additional biomes. Many of our player base migrated from Minecraft....

I don't agree with their crying, is what I mean. That should be shut down immediately like it's LBD or something.

Whining doesn't get results, intelligent compelling reasons do. What purpose does a big flat open field serve other than variety? Its bad for game play and visually sucks. All its good for is frame rate but those who can't have good fill rates suffer from the sea of grass. Go play your modded plains then and shut up about it, nobody cares. Its a 1% fringe feature. All anyone really cares about is getting a good solid RWG not a crappy one with 88 biomes.

Do you think the grass squanders his performance?

About the usefulness and interestingness of plains you will be told by others.

Good luck with your two and a half biomes :D

PS: ...88 ...What? now such maximum?

Tuna Casserole Recipe:

<recipe name="foodTunaCasserole" count="1" craft_area="campfire" craft_tool="toolCookingPot" tags="learnable">

<ingredient name="foodCanTuna" count="2"/>

<ingredient name="foodCanPasta" count="2"/>

<ingredient name="foodCanPeas" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="foodCropMushrooms" count="4"/>

</recipe>

Its used in Sham Chowder. If you guys want to brainstorm what to do with the remaining cans of food that puts them in a unique interesting recipe, share it. That doesn't mean new pie in the sky recipes, it means post me a recipe using xml of a new food item using the cans we have that makes sense. Please post your ideas like this:

Sham Chowder Recipe:

<recipe name="foodShamChowder" count="1" craft_area="campfire" craft_tool="toolCookingPot" tags="learnable">

</recipe>

It's not. As the recipe states, it's a Sham sandwich that's used...which we can not make.

So then, maybe this...

<recipe name="foodShamSandwich" count="1" craft_area="campfire" craft_tool="toolCookingPot" tags="w/e">

<ingredient name="foodCannedSham" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="foodCornbread" count="2"/>

Maybe the Sham Chowder recipe is wrong though and it's supposed to be a can of Sham (which makes more sense than a sandwich imo)

FYI the new special harvest tags are in. With a perk, book etc you can harvest unique resources from an object that without the know how, is impossible. Its pretty cool, once you get the right books you can harvest brass from the household doors.

It's not. As the recipe states, it's a Sham sandwich that's used...which we can not make.

So then, maybe this...

<recipe name="foodShamSandwich" count="1" craft_area="campfire" craft_tool="toolCookingPot" tags="w/e">

<ingredient name="foodCannedSham" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="foodCornbread" count="2"/>

Its not? I just pasted it straight from recipes. You can make sham chowder, but you need a perk.

The requirement for these advanced use a can recipe is that they should use 4 ingredients, otherwise the ingredient bonus won't be there and its a waste of a good can of food.

Shepherd's Pie

<recipe name="foodShepherdsPie" count="1" craft_area="campfire" craft_tool="toolCookingGrill" tags="learnable">

<ingredient name="foodMeat" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="foodCanofPeas" count="1"/>

Tuna Casserole Recipe:

<recipe name="foodTunaCasserole" count="1" craft_area="campfire" craft_tool="toolCookingPot" tags="learnable">

<ingredient name="foodCanTuna" count="2"/>

<ingredient name="foodCanPasta" count="2"/>

<ingredient name="foodCanPeas" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="foodCropMushrooms" count="4"/>

</recipe>

I like it :) That one would be sick too, because of how food calories calculate.

Its not? I just pasted it straight from recipes. You can make sham chowder, but you need a perk.

The requirement for these advanced use a can recipe is that they should use 4 ingredients, otherwise the ingredient bonus won't be there and its a waste of a good can of food.

I know you need a perk...but the recipe calls for a Sham sandwich, not a Can of Sham... From your post....

I just hope when it's out of alpha and beta the biomes will be huge and not scattered like they are now.

That will be A18 AFAIK. I rolled an 8k map and have only seen one of 4 biomes yet. I haven't found the desert yet.

Archived