Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Well we decided rare ore is so rare no one will miss it. We moved asphalt to that slot so you can make asphalt roads now. We could do a 3d rare ore if we had to, it is so rare it wouldn't kill performance. Another way to handle it is just make it look like gravel and its still there but suddenly you are mining $$$$$.

so, panning gravel for gold? works for me

Tried a shotgun run but blunderbuss and double barrel just aren't viable clearing poi's especially on higher difficulties/nightmare. Easy to miss headshots, slow reload, switch to body shots zombies not getting knocked down. The slow fire rate and close range makes them situational on horde night too. This is with 4 points put in shotgun perk.

Pump does ok but you need bandoleer and drum and maxing out the perk asap for the reload speed. Apart from the sledge Strength builds are looking over at Brawlers....fists, healing, heavy armor, ak47 + drum mod + silencer + scope + rad remover?.....m60?!?!? Did I miss anything?

And sure any attribute can wear heavy armor but if you're not watching your mobility speed and stamina you ain't gonna last long on higher settings.

I forget what its called but there is a mod that increases reload speed and is a must have with shotguns. I honestly do not understand why so many say the double barrel shotty is useless. As a bow and shotgun are my two primary weapons of choice for years, I'm thinking most just do not know how to use shotguns effectively or know which perks and such should be invested in to that supports that playstyle.

Then again I have not had a chance to do my normal stealth playstyle in A18 yet (meaning have not used shotguns in this version) so maybe they have been nerfed and I have not heard of this news?

From what I've been seeing, there's a general consensus that Agility builds are notably weaker, part for combat and part for lack of utility so here's a random idea dump.

Five Fingered Discount: Once per day/stock reset/other interval you can "steal" from traders, sort of giving you a recurring "thief credit" that you can use to purchase items without spending actual dukes. Higher tiers increase maximum value and allow stealing from the secret stash. This allows Agi users to bring a steady supply of various resources while still saving their dukes for the big purchases, being encouraged to spend those thief credits often since they will reset anyway.

Hidden Strike also reduces chance of zombies raging from your attacks, giving value when stealth is broken

Olympic Swimmer -> Flow Like Water; In addition to current effects, also increases movement speed briefly after striking an enemy. This bonus can not be gained by striking the same enemy twice in a row. Great for dishing out bleeds via power attacks through a crowd.

Gone Dark: Reduces the heat map created by the player. Not sure how thes would be implemented, perhaps causes the player's bed/land claim to provide a negative heat value. Perhaps apply this effect to another perk.

Speaking of perks... I think the Weather Tolerence (is that what it's called?) one needs love. Really, there's zero need for it with all the clothing / mods that's easy to get, and the naming is funky anyway. Such as, the one that says you don't care about the snow and the cold doesn't bother you (+10 resistance to heat/cold). I think something like... individual but smaller buffs to each (i.e. cold resistance perk, +5), and a little damage reduction in said conditions (+1% in snow biomes or something). Not much, say +1% so it balances with other DR buffs, something other than just +cold/heat resistance may make it useful.

Or you know, delete it and replace it with a Blunderbuss perk ;)

I ended up writing a bunch of legendary designs today, hats will boost a perk, like Chef hat is +1 to master chef.

Pants/shirts/coats will have legendary +1 bonuses allowing up to +3 combined and attributes will get bonuses extended beyond 10. Bear in mind stuff changes from design in implementation a bit.

OP weapons will have a negative to offset them. Like a Waster's weapon will do 2x headshot damage but reduces ammo capacity by 25%.

The Unforgiven Deals 20% extra damage to anyone who has inflicted damage upon its wielder. So you need to get hit by that enemy before its extra damage kicks in.

Names will be applied, like Waster's shotgun, The Unforgiven Pistol, etc.

This stuff could get nuked for a better idea, but I'm just writing down possible ideas on how to implement it and some possible effects. It would be proceduraral and add a hidden mod that changes the name of a base item and adds the multipliers so we can edit the base items without editing every legendary to calculate balance changes.

I'm super excited to be working on this. I've already designed four complete book sets, and vehicle mods.

WOW sounds like A19 will be coming sooner than later!

@MM - I have not been in the forums because I am enjoying A18 a lot!

I like the idea that you are going to address the head slots, need reasons to wear something like Cigar, or College Jacket, or performance Running shoes and nerdy glasses. absolutely love those! a hat with some bonus to crafting might be cool as well.

the game - the books and schematics are a hit, there are 10-30 of us on a server and there is a whole economy around trading books/schematics and recipes.

questing is still a big deal for players, especially since getting Steel Tool parts is super rare in A18, those few steel tools you get from trader quest are uber items.

Random stats - awesome albeit frustrating when you get a level 1 bow that is better then the level 3 but you need the slots :)

the terrain with the new ground textures are really nice! also loving the skulls.

being a miner the nodes are a nice feature.

a nice surprise was the forget elixir - being able to restart your perks once you have the cash is nice.

I am left 38 and have speck into Dual Turrets and added mods, they rock, on horde night we get 4 of us and all with turrets and it is a lot of fun.

so A18 is best by a long shot.

needs:

-- bigger maps beyond 8192 - we are playing on a 12144 and it is really 2.5 islands of the same map flipped around.

-- more ways to get Steel Tool Parts

-- head slot options like Cigar/Glasses/ offer.

-- loving the food - maybe more recipes that are seasonal like Chicken pot pie

so back to the game!

what would be kool if they added a turkey NPC animal to the game with turkey recipes for the season. but regardless A18 is amazing!

@MM

I had asked about this earlier, but I’ll ask again (maybe you answered, I’m not sure)...

Is it possible to get more options for icons on the mini map? There are tons of them in the game and it would be cool to label all the different pois visually, without having to manually mouse over them all to see what they are.

Also, it would be especially helpful to add colour to the icons. For example, I use the X to mark most pois, but it would be great to mark a red X on pois I need to raid and green checkmarks when I’ve completed them.

Loc

From what I've been seeing, there's a general consensus that Agility builds are notably weaker, part for combat and part for lack of utility so here's a random idea dump.

Five Fingered Discount: Once per day/stock reset/other interval you can "steal" from traders, sort of giving you a recurring "thief credit" that you can use to purchase items without spending actual dukes. Higher tiers increase maximum value and allow stealing from the secret stash. This allows Agi users to bring a steady supply of various resources while still saving their dukes for the big purchases, being encouraged to spend those thief credits often since they will reset anyway.

Hidden Strike also reduces chance of zombies raging from your attacks, giving value when stealth is broken

Olympic Swimmer -> Flow Like Water; In addition to current effects, also increases movement speed briefly after striking an enemy. This bonus can not be gained by striking the same enemy twice in a row. Great for dishing out bleeds via power attacks through a crowd.

Gone Dark: Reduces the heat map created by the player. Not sure how thes would be implemented, perhaps causes the player's bed/land claim to provide a negative heat value. Perhaps apply this effect to another perk.

I put these in the perkolator.

WOW sounds like A19 will be coming sooner than later!

We're just going to roll stuff out when its done. "The book update" will probably be first, then "The vehicle mod update" after that, with whatever other goodies level design dishes out, etc. Legendaries might not be too far behind.

@MM

I had asked about this earlier, but I’ll ask again (maybe you answered, I’m not sure)...

Is it possible to get more options for icons on the mini map? There are tons of them in the game and it would be cool to label all the different pois visually, without having to manually mouse over them all to see what they are.

Also, it would be especially helpful to add colour to the icons. For example, I use the X to mark most pois, but it would be great to mark a red X on pois I need to raid and green checkmarks when I’ve completed them.

Loc

Hopefully we can improve that a bit.

I wouldn't remove the blunderbuss completely. I would just make it unaffected by any perks and maybe remove the quality and just use it as a very basic, somewhat cheap gun for early players, that would eventually be replaced by the first tier of the players chosen gun type.

I would then add a top tier shotgun.

Just my two cents.

In order for it to stay we'd have to make regular firearms impossible to get early game and add flintlock pistol, muzzle rifle, slingshot for perception guy, and something crude for the other ones. I'd rather do super late game loot only sweet stuff; such as auto shotgun, assault rifle, etc.

I survived day 35 horde. My Special K base took some serious damage. I used 30 grenades, 3 molotovs, 1000 762 and about 100 9mm, and 315 junk turret ammo. Still repairing, both drawbridges were severely damaged and one of my best chests almost got wrecked, had to have been acid spit coming through the windows, so I'll be sealing that place up like fort knox before the next horde. I got rank 3 of engineering so its trap time. I finally got my own chem station, the air drop dropped 2 beakers so I can save time traveling to the trader to use his chem station. I'm glad I made my base 2 thick, they can chew on it all night if I run out of bullets and I might be ok. I'm glad I'm done with spikes, time for real traps that give you XP.

Madmole, I would love to see a perk that worked as a gap closer for one of the melee weapons, possibly the sledgehammer.

So, smething similar to how the energy sword works in Halo, where you get within a certain range (5-10m) you immediately leap to them and attack the target.

- - - Updated - - -

I survived day 35 horde. My Special K base took some serious damage. I used 30 grenades, 3 molotovs, 1000 762 and about 100 9mm, and 315 junk turret ammo. Still repairing, both drawbridges were severely damaged and one of my best chests almost got wrecked, had to have been acid spit coming through the windows, so I'll be sealing that place up like fort knox before the next horde. I got rank 3 of engineering so its trap time. I finally got my own chem station, the air drop dropped 2 beakers so I can save time traveling to the trader to use his chem station. I'm glad I made my base 2 thick, they can chew on it all night if I run out of bullets and I might be ok. I'm glad I'm done with spikes, time for real traps that give you XP.

Can you post some pics of your base?

No video this time? Horde night defense videos are addicting to watch. At least the ones that dont over use the zombie loop design excessively. 😂

video or it didnt happen.

come on, give us a peek at this special k

- - - Updated - - -

No video this time? Horde night defense videos are addicting to watch. At least the ones that dont over use the zombie loop design excessively. 😂

zombie loop design?

In order for it to stay we'd have to make regular firearms impossible to get early game and add flintlock pistol, muzzle rifle, slingshot for perception guy, and something crude for the other ones. I'd rather do super late game loot only sweet stuff; such as auto shotgun, assault rifle, etc.

Delete blunderbuss vs add auto shotgun, assault rifle, .50 cal sniper rifle?

Delete that sucker ASAP!!!! 😂

Archived