How does TFP want us to get into our own bases?

Maje

This is a serious question. The most obvious answer, doors, is out. Any door placed on ground level, will immediately get targeted and shredded by the physic group think zombies. It does not matter how strong the door is.

Ladders. You cannot use ladders, zombies will group think and immediately climb any ladder.

You can't use hatches because zombies will group think and immediately break into any hatch.

Before, we could use a simple 2 block jump to get into our bases, it was a little silly, but wasn't completely immersion breaking.

Sure, we can still jump into toothie design bases, but if you don't create some alternate maze/cheese/mouse zombie pathing shenanigans, the zombies will chew through the toothie, and use internal ladder.

The fact is, if you want to get into your base safely, you have to nerd pole, meticulously manipulate zombie pathing using maze/cheese so they do not target your entrance, use half block shenanigans or other ridiculous means. So I ask again, how do you want us to get into our bases? Is this your intended game design??

The fact is, right now, we currently only have two base meta's. Standing on a tall structure with spikes around you, or manipulating zombie pathing perfectly and with those meta's there is no standard way to get into your base. Gazz, one of the fun pimp stuff proudly posted his base. It's a cool base, but is this how we're expected to get into our bases?

https://i.imgur.com/m5WAlP1.jpg

Clarification on this issue would be fantastic.

Wake up the zed and let them break open things for you.

Make your own entrances, create frames and scale up to the roof or use ladders.

Okay so you typo'd "Our" I misread. lol.

To be honestly, none of that stuff matters, you don't even need a base, just learn how to kite and manage stamina and ammo.

Wake up the zed and let them break open things for you.

Make your own entrances, create frames and scale up to the roof or use ladders.

Nerd polling is using frames.... Perhaps I shouldn't have used that terminology, but it's quite standard in these types of games. I should add, nerd poling is not quite considered an exploit, but it's frowned upon and there have been talks in the past about removing nerd poling. I also covered the use of ladders in my OP.

Can you re title to say "How are we to get in our zombie defense base with 100% No risk of zombies in a zombie game"? Thanks.

I don't see the need for the hugely sarcastic reply. It would be like me saying "Perhaps reading comprehension isn't your strongest point, let me rephrase it a way you can hopefully understand"

My post isn't about "100% no risk of zombies" it's a question of fact as to whether the current meta is intended game design. Also, I assure you, you can make an entrance with "100% no risk of zombies" but it involves as I mentioned before, either nerd polling, exploiting zombie pathing, diagonal blocks, half blocks or poles.

Nerd polling is using frames.... Perhaps I shouldn't have used that terminology, but it's quite standard in these types of games. I should add, nerd poling is not quite considered an exploit, but it's frowned upon and there have been talks in the past about removing nerd poling. I also covered the use of ladders in my OP.

I never said nerd pole, I said scale up, that means make a ramp.

You should edit the title of your thread, it says "Out" instead of "Our" which completely changed my response.

I was assuming you were having trouble looting POI's, rather than trouble with your base.

I don't even use my base to deal with horde nights most of the time till I have electricity and plenty of traps so I don't know what else to tell you other than go out, get very good at aiming, learn how to kite zeds.

If you seriously want help, ill give you my advice, if you're just looking to be defensive and argumentative I won't bother.

I never said nerd pole, I said scale up, that means make a ramp.

You should edit the title of your thread, it says "Out" instead of "Our" which completely changed my response.

I can see how that might confused. Cheers, I edited it.

What is a more friendly version of "L2P" or "Git gud" ?

20693758E32E795BA4511744211A1BD15F6AFB9C

* Hatch lift.

* Draw bridge

* Nerdpole

* Jump spot

Or correct placed

* Door

* Hatch

* Ladder

There is no L2P or Gitgud issue here. You misunderstand the purpose of the post. Why do people insist on trying to 1up every time you have a legitimate concern. Goodness. My concern here, to be clear, is that traditional means of getting into ones base (eg a door, a ladder, a hatch) no longer exist. If you want to get into your base, you must as I clearly said in my OP, specifically manipulate zombie pathing or use other such shenanigans.

In his pic you can see he has a hatch away from the base, prob goes under and then up into his base. Far enough away so they dont think of it as a path or he has multiple hatches layered down there so they think that going up the spike hill is the least resistance path. I still have ground floor doors and a draw bridge over to my horde structure from my main work/storage base.

All you have to do is add up the HPs of the blocks to realise where theyre gonna go. Hope that helps =D

There is no L2P or Gitgud issue here. You misunderstand the purpose of the post. Why do people insist on trying to 1up every time you have a legitimate concern. Goodness. My concern here, to be clear, is that traditional means of getting into ones base (eg a door, a ladder, a hatch) no longer exist. If you want to get into your base, you must as I clearly said in my OP, specifically manipulate zombie pathing or use other such shenanigans.

SO far i know this the zombies no longer aim for doors and hatches, in A16 they did that, now all they do is following the path with the lowest costs or if there is none go in destruction mode. This CAN be a door, But the chance is good that they take a other path, and this means in 99% of the cases something more worse for you ^^

btw the pic was maby e not detailed enough

Hatches lift

C6A1138CD17A9228F54C43DE44FAF1177E443149

Because with or without there is no path, the zombies ignore this.

Well, I have been using a ladder with a hatch at the top of it and when I close the hatch the zombie can’t come up. Is using a ladder together with a hatch okay? Am I exploiting the game by doing ladder/hatch?

I also think a ramp to jump to a ladder that starts halfway up a wall also works well. Zombies don’t seem to be able to jump a gap to a ladder.

Finally, for six days out of seven a ground level door works just fine. You just need to remodel it into a wall on the seventh day.

The intended design is: you have to defend your base.

Even if all build-tricks to deter the zombie pathing (like halfblock-gaps) are patched out: the most obvious solution is a classic door.

You can always build a door, that allows access. Zombies have to break the door, but you then HAVE time to defend the base from a higher-up position.

If the game would allow a base design that has zero (repair) costs to fend of zombies, the gamedesign would be at fault.

You can also run away from the base (drawing of the zombies) if you really dont like it to be attacked at all.

In the worst case (horde night) you can spend resources to fully block any direct paths with solid blocks. You just have to tear those barricades down afterwards then.

I typically do what Roland suggests. My horde defense base has a picnic table next to it that I can use to jump onto a ladder or frame on the side that's otherwise too high for zombies to reach. Then there's a raised secondary bunker on the top that has a door in it. The zombies are restricted to the front entrance of the main bunker, which is much better-defended.

You people are extremely overcomplicating your builds here you know.

25 blocks long, 5 blocks wide(so there is 3 blocks wide corridor), 4 blocks high U shaped construct with quick escape route and anti vulture ceiling is all that's needed, sprinkle spikes mixed with barb wire and you're set, later on replace with electrics and maybe add a turret if you feel generous.

Before A17, i would use a jumpgap of 2 blocks.

In A17, i mostly used hatch elevators for getting in, and drop on haybales for

exits. It is a glitch, but very space efficient and easy to use.

If i play long enough, and my base gets big enough for a garage, i tend to use

drawbridges.

- - - Updated - - -

You people are extremely overcomplicating your builds here you know.

25 blocks long, 5 blocks wide(so there is 3 blocks wide corridor), 4 blocks high U shaped construct with quick escape route and anti vulture ceiling is all that's needed, sprinkle spikes mixed with barb wire and you're set, later on replace with electrics and maybe add a turret if you feel generous.

If that is just the entrance/exit , i'm not sure who is overcomplicating things...

If that is just the entrance/exit , i'm not sure who is overcomplicating things...

Its not entrance, its a standalone horde night defensive structure, I always build a separate structure for defense on blood moon and main base durable enough to fend off wandering hordes only.

And this is the simpliest, non exploitive, extremely easy to build and maintain thing.

Its not entrance, its a standalone horde night defensive structure, I always build a separate structure for defense on blood moon and main base durable enough to fend off wandering hordes only.

And this is the simpliest, non exploitive, extremely easy to build and maintain thing.

Points at the topic.

How do you get in and out of it.

Ah, that's what you meant.

In is just putting frames, jumping in and picking frames(therefore 4 blocks high, to easily get in through frames), out I have stairs which I use to get higher and just jump out, the anti vulture ceiling isn't covering all the top, just what it needs to make it vulture proof, I could use ladder instead, but I like stairs.

Always drawbridges. I don't build a structure until I have enough junk to cobble one together.

No ground access at your base. Build the opening for the drawbridge 8 or more blocks high (just my preference). Build a platform with ramps on either side. The drawbridge will open perpendicular to the ramps and meet the platform. This allows you to drive vehicles up one ramp, stop on the platform for unloading and drive straight ahead down the other ramp when leaving. Don't use the actual "ramp" blocks. Use the wedge blocks to create a less steep slope. The will help with vehicles clipping the ramp when driving off the level ground.

... _____DB_____

.../......................\

../........................\

./..........................\

-Morloc

It pains me to see this conversation even being had in 7D2D...plz just go back to the old AI, seeing devs use typical sploits is the final facepalm in this shambles.

To be honestly, none of that stuff matters, you don't even need a base, just learn how to kite and manage stamina and ammo.

I cant even begin to tell you how dismissive of a real issue this is. The 'git gud' arguement doesnt work in a game where not everybody has built their character to maximize stamina, thats even IF theyre high level. Most of us quit playing before day 15.

That arguement is even more invalid if youre playing single player and need other vital things to get the game going; cooking, forge, some extra carry weight etc, thats already like...15 levels of stuff you need to play properly. Telling people to manage stamina better and kite is just insulting. What if im a melee character, do you consider that people might not play like you play? I prefer melee, and in this game iv gotten screwed over the most.

If the devs and community response is 'git gud' and 'use meta and exploits', then i feel justified in quitting 7D2D, because your vision of this game has become skewed from the rest of us.

This is a serious question. The most obvious answer, doors, is out. Any door placed on ground level, will immediately get targeted and shredded by the physic group think zombies. It does not matter how strong the door is.

Ladders. You cannot use ladders, zombies will group think and immediately climb any ladder.

You can't use hatches because zombies will group think and immediately break into any hatch.

Before, we could use a simple 2 block jump to get into our bases, it was a little silly, but wasn't completely immersion breaking.

Sure, we can still jump into toothie design bases, but if you don't create some alternate maze/cheese/mouse zombie pathing shenanigans, the zombies will chew through the toothie, and use internal ladder.

The fact is, if you want to get into your base safely, you have to nerd pole, meticulously manipulate zombie pathing using maze/cheese so they do not target your entrance, use half block shenanigans or other ridiculous means. So I ask again, how do you want us to get into our bases? Is this your intended game design??

The fact is, right now, we currently only have two base meta's. Standing on a tall structure with spikes around you, or manipulating zombie pathing perfectly and with those meta's there is no standard way to get into your base. Gazz, one of the fun pimp stuff proudly posted his base. It's a cool base, but is this how we're expected to get into our bases?

https://i.imgur.com/m5WAlP1.jpg

Clarification on this issue would be fantastic.

Respectfully, your facts aren't actually based on facts.

I think you could improve your success rate if you think through the tactics with a more open mind. For example, you say "doors, is out. Any door placed on ground level, will immediately get targeted and shredded by the physic group think zombies. It does not matter how strong the door is."

So you have a potential tactic (doors as a barrier) and potential problem with the tactic (zombies will break through the barrier quickly), but instead of trying to improve the tactic you have given up at the first hurdle.

I use doors successfully - here's how I've made them work. I have a simple house which I built one story up. There are stairs leading up to it and it has a walled inner garden. Around the house I built a simple wall which has a walkway which hangs over the edge. At the front of the wall I built an entrance chamber which has an outer and inner door - the chamber has bars on the roof. In total I have 3 doors leading to the house. On horde night I put a ring of barbed-wire fences around the door - this is to slow down the zombies and spread them out so they don't all reach the door at once. Then I wait above the entrance chamber and make sure I take out the zombies as fast as possible - targeting the heavy hitters first. Sometimes I manage to jump off the roof and pick up a few bags mid fight - doing this means that the door will take a lot of damage and will possibly break so I then fall back to the inner chamber.

For each horde night I think about the improvements I need to make, which includes making sure I have the right fire-power

So far I've defended this base up to level 90. It's a very active defense and you need to do a lot of the work taking the zombies out but it's a lot of fun for those who like that style of playing.

Archived