How to survive: Newbie: i am starving... Tipps appreachiated

Narima

I am new here.

I googled but Ingame it didnt really work...

I play and find Ammuniton, Weapons , sometimes Flass containers so i can fill up at river, cook and drink the clear water.

But i have really problems not starving: i am at day 5 now - was much in forest and raided a few houses (got cooking pot and grill on day 2...)

I saw one time a Swine - killed it - it was aggro and i get hurt. No other huntable animal...

I got the ration from the "survival" plane - and i got 16 potatoes from a field - i cooked.

The eggs i cooked - but i have not much water so i have to save some water for drinking and cant use all for biliing.

I am lvl 10 - i am run out of food - no nearby resources like grain, potatoes and no meat is in sight.

Do you have any helpful tipps not to starve ? I have found one seed of corn and have 4 seed of potatoe - but dont have a garden hoe.

I hoped to find in forest deer to hunt - but cant see any.

The traider have meat but all i have is not wort tradable - he gives no money for wood, feathers, stoneaxes---

The eggs i rarely found i cooked but the i have no water to drink.... and theyx do not fill...

I cant raid monsters when i am starving...

pls help with tipps - i see that i can make a farm - but i am too low - dont have a gardening hoe and no seeds.

Thanks

snow and wood biome has snowberries with 1% poison so you can eat few before you get sick, desert you can eat yucca fruits, but these have 10% poison so cant eat too many. Make sure you turn any boiled water into yucca juice. If you don't have water jars, use empty cans to boil water.

Stumps you come across everywhere have a chance to spawn honey once you chop them down.

If you are lucky your trader will have a working forge, put some glass or sand and in no time you have 100s of glass jars.

Towns can spawn corn or blueberries.

Any meat and eggs you get, make egg and bacons.

Be careful with canned food it can poison you and lower your health, spend points into health and stamina before anything else

Unfortunately you will need meat to make the game easier, pigs can be hard to spot but listen for a grunt.

Hope this helps

In such a desperate situation, I'd recommend selling what you can at the trader and buying food from the vending machines. If you have a wrench you can get lots of springs and pipes from beds, and mechanical parts and other loot from cars, these sell for a decent amount. If you found a working workbench, you can make garage doors which sell for a decent amount too!

Ultimately, you can craft iron reinforced clubs which sell for enough to buy a couple of meals in the vending machines :)

Just collect some eggs, its +5 hunger/max stamina even without cooking it with small chance for food poisoning. EZ to collect and are literally everywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

snow and wood biome has snowberries with 1% poison so you can eat few before you get sick, desert you can eat yucca fruits, but these have 10% poison so cant eat too many. Make sure you turn any boiled water into yucca juice. If you don't have water jars, use empty cans to boil water.

Stumps you come across everywhere have a chance to spawn honey once you chop them down.

If you are lucky your trader will have a working forge, put some glass or sand and in no time you have 100s of glass jars.

Towns can spawn corn or blueberries.

Any meat and eggs you get, make egg and bacons.

Be careful with canned food it can poison you and lower your health, spend points into health and stamina before anything else

Unfortunately you will need meat to make the game easier, pigs can be hard to spot but listen for a grunt.

Hope this helps

havent seen a *lootable stump since what, a15, 16? I forget which. There arent even any stumps in the snow biome anymore. You must not mean a17 tho.

If you can see a snow biome anywhere, go. Dig some snow with a stone shovel, snowballs are a great water source. (Glass jar+snowball in a pot=water, or tin can+snowball in fire = water) on your way there and back hunt for deer/pigs.

As said, sale anything you can at trader and use the vending machine.

- - - Updated - - -

Just collect some eggs, its +5 hunger/max stamina even without cooking it with small chance for food poisoning. EZ to collect and are literally everywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

havent seen a stump since what, a15, 16? I forget which. There arent even any stumps in the snow biome anymore. You must not mean a17 tho.

Look for stumps in the snow and forest biomes. They are shorter and smooth topped now.

If you can see a snow biome anywhere, go. Dig some snow with a stone shovel, snowballs are a great water source. (Glass jar+snowball in a pot=water, or tin can+snowball in fire = water) on your way there and back hunt for deer/pigs.

As said, sale anything you can at trader and use the vending machine.

- - - Updated - - -

Look for stumps in the snow and forest biomes. They are shorter and smooth topped now.

Wait, are those lootable? If so, not sure how I missed that, I have just been ignoring them because they didnt look lootable lol

I’d say start a separate game in creative mode. Give yourself a bow and some arrows and do the following:

Press F1 to open the console

Type dm

Press F1 to close the console

Press F6

Spawn in boars and practice killing them without getting hurt. Then do the same with wolves.

You are faster than boars and wolves when you run forward without looking behind. Shoot the boar until it is close and then turn and flee. Stop and turn around and shoot more while it catches up.

Once you get used to being faster than them you will feel much more confident killing them. (Same goes for zombies at night)

Best way of getting food early game is:

Locate trader and vending machines, sell couple of iron reinforced clubs, buy raw meet off vendor and all vending machines you know off.

It won't last long, but it'll be a start and won't require hunting.

You can repeat that every 3 days with some luck.

- - - Updated - - -

havent seen a *lootable stump since what, a15, 16? I forget which. There arent even any stumps in the snow biome anymore. You must not mean a17 tho.

They removed the old stump model and replaced it with what looks like a tree stump, you chop it and gives you wood, but it can give you honey as well, although honey seems to be food more than medicinal at the moment

I’d say start a separate game in creative mode. Give yourself a bow and some arrows and do the following:

Press F1 to open the console

Type dm

Press F1 to close the console

Press F6

Spawn in boars and practice killing them without getting hurt. Then do the same with wolves.

You are faster than boars and wolves when you run forward without looking behind. Shoot the boar until it is close and then turn and flee. Stop and turn around and shoot more while it catches up.

Once you get used to being faster than them you will feel much more confident killing them. (Same goes for zombies at night)

Stamina plays a huge role now, and early on I would avoid running away as you will deplete your stamina fairly quickly becoming completely weaponless. Boars are a simple walk backwards and keep shooting at it with arrows, wolves dogs and so on keep clubbing and walking backwards, and pray to pimp gods you used your stamina wisely and missed no shots

Step 1) search for bird nests until you have enough feathers for lots of arrows. Avoid lots of running doing this. Also look into any trash heaps as you might find sham sandwiches and other usefull stuff there. Kill any deers and pigs you see. Make sure to buy one level of the perk hidden strike (tha also saves a lot of time when going into pois)

Step 2) with enough arrows go to the next village and raid the kitchens of simple POI's (i.e. non-dungeon POIs) or single POIs in the countryside. Also raid garages because they might get you hoes or other tools and valuable stuff, and don't need a lot of time to raid.

Stamina plays a huge role now, and early on I would avoid running away as you will deplete your stamina fairly quickly becoming completely weaponless. Boars are a simple walk backwards and keep shooting at it with arrows, wolves dogs and so on keep clubbing and walking backwards, and pray to pimp gods you used your stamina wisely and missed no shots

And that's pretty big problem, because if you don't sprint everywhere, you'll get nowhere due to how slow walking speed is.

Athletics of A16 is the ONLY learn-by-doing perk I'm missing, allowing you to actually move faster without vehicle.

And that's pretty big problem, because if you don't sprint everywhere, you'll get nowhere due to how slow walking speed is.

If I have no food problem I tend to run even if I just want to go to a birds nest 5 blocks away. That is wasteful and doesn't save you much time. You also need to walk a lot anyway to get your stamina back. Knowing when you can afford to run and when it is better to waste some time and walk is part of the game.

For example it might be 21 hours and you want to go back to your base. If you run and are back at your base at 21:30 you obviously wasted stamina. You could also risk walking and getting back as late as 22:30 because most likely you can stealth back and even if you are detected by a zombie you can start running then. You are still faster than any zombie and near enough to the base to get there with your limited stamina.

Another thing you can do is this:

Press F1 to open the console.

Type cm

Then hit Enter

Then F1 again

This will enable the creative menu for you.

Now hit "U"

This will open the creative menu. Search for bacon and eggs and give yourself as much as you want. Do the same for water.

Yes this is a cheat solution, but it doesn't affect anyone but you if you're playing SP. It will however allow you to enjoy the game as you learn it's mechanics and how to survive without the frustration of being in a constant state of starvation. As you get better and more experienced at the game you won't need to do it anymore. I wouldn't use it as a constant crutch though....that would just hinder your survival skills in the long run.

Early on, kill any lone zombies you find just wandering around for their XP. Much safer than going into POIs and fighting multiple zombies. Use the skill points to put a couple of points into the skill Living Off The Land, so you can craft seeds from plants (and spores from mushrooms) and get at least 2 plants each time you harvest. You'll also want to put points into the skill Master Chef, at least enough to make Veggie Stew. Save any seeds you find, especially corn and potato seeds, as well as mushroom spores.

Once you can make Veggie Stew and harvest 3 plants from each one planted, you'll never need to worry about starving again. If you want an easy water source, just create a small, square well with 4 spaces in the middle for water to go into out of wooden frames (just one frame high will work fine) inside your base, and then use a bucket filled with water to fill the well. Keep the bucket handy, because if you pull a lot of water out at once, some of it will disappear. Use the bucket to pick up a little water left inside the well, then replace water to refill the well. There you go, your own infinity pool.

EDIT: You don't need to fully master the skill Master Chef, but I've found being able to make Sham Chowder is quite handy. That food not only regenerates a lot of stamina and a good bit of health, but it also give you a buff for a little while that boosts your Fortitude, which is very handy when you want to raid POIs and deal with a lot of zombies. I tend to use Coffee a lot, seeing as it helps with stamina, and when used with Sham Chowder, you're able to handle dealing with zombies easier.

... Use the skill points to put a couple of points into the skill Living Off The Land, so you can craft seeds from plants (and spores from mushrooms) and get at least 2 plants each time you harvest. You'll also want to put points into the skill Master Chef...

I'm also a huge fan of the Slow Metabolism perk. Three of my four initial quest perk points almost always go into the two you mentioned and Slow Metabolism.

I'm also a huge fan of the Slow Metabolism perk. Three of my four initial quest perk points almost always go into the two you mentioned and Slow Metabolism.

Yep, Slow Metabolism is what I would call a MUST HAVE, at least two or three points. It makes a big difference.

Yep, Slow Metabolism is what I would call a MUST HAVE, at least two or three points. It makes a big difference.

It can be very helpful if you are new to the game.

I don't use it any more. Around day 3 I tend to have way more food than I can eat.

@OP: If you play the Navezgane-Map, there are farms with quite a lot of corn, just grap am map from the forum and make your first base near one of them (i used a cell-tower northwest of diresville, protected by a sturdy fence makes an excellent starter base) and you have all the food you need.

He did mention he hasn't a hoe yet. Living of the land is only useful with a hoe, or are there already tilled spots one can use?

As far as I'm aware there aren't any pre-tilled spots... at least I've never heard of or came across any. I take tier one of Living Off The Land right at the beginning so it's out of the way before other perks start to become more major priorities. When I finally get a hoe I don't even have to think about the perk because I already have it.

Archived