Smart vs Dumb Zombies?

Roland

Smart vs Dumb Zombies?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Smart vs Dumb Zombies?

• The zombie behavior of pre-A17
    • The zombie behavior of post-A17

Hang on - the poll options have been changed.

When I voted, it was a choice between A16 AI and A17 AI. Now it's a choice between "pre-A17 AI" (which includes A16 AI, but also the AI from all previous versions) and "post-A17 AI" (which is some hypothetical future thing that no-one has seen yet).

Our votes aren't showing what we actually voted for! I call election fraud!

The actual poll questions have never been changed. All that was changed was wording in the OP that seemed to some to be leading people to vote for post A17 zombie AI.

It was never presented as A17 vs A16 except in your own interpretation.

Hang on - the poll options have been changed.

When I voted, it was a choice between A16 AI and A17 AI. Now it's a choice between "pre-A17 AI" (which includes A16 AI, but also the AI from all previous versions) and "post-A17 AI" (which is some hypothetical future thing that no-one has seen yet).

Our votes aren't showing what we actually voted for! I call election fraud!

Damn, good catch - I didn't notice when I voted ;)

Though accidently 'post A17 AI' it is exactly what I want: Current AI is perfect for the POIs and makes sense, since it's their house and the should know it by heart.

For the outside zombies I'd like to see the path the zombie takes to be restricted to blocks that are within the line of sight (though allowing FOV of 360 to make them be able to turn around). Not sure if this can be efficiently worked into the current algorithm, but if it's possible, then I think it would make the Zombie behaviour a lot more believable than now.

And of course some random noise on the block health during path calculation would be nice to make them less 'torpedo' ;)

I prefer post A-17.

Path finding is way better since they can find you more times than not, even with the minor flaws it has atm. Just a matter of time before all the "Smoke and Mirrors" get tweaked, so it's not so apparent in how they can get to you.

I would rather they Push the Tasks/Targeting and how it's handled to the limit, and refine it for the zeds first, before they go about adding bandits.

Even with how it is now, it still would be awkward looking, if the bandits got added.

The actual poll questions have never been changed. All that was changed was wording in the OP that seemed to some to be leading people to vote for post A17 zombie AI.

It was never presented as A17 vs A16 except in your own interpretation.

Damn, I must be getting old. My memory is going. I could have sworn the poll options were explicitly 16 vs 17.

I prefer a mix of both AIs or an approximation of both. The reason is as stated by many already, either AI is too predictable and too easy to counter.

BUT, haha, the bonus grouped zombies get to damage blocks is too much and it needs to be nerfed a lot if not removed entirely. OR at least have an option to turn it down if you like or build it into the difficulty.

I'm curious how the post-A17 AI will behave.

I envision a combined arms approach to base attacks.

It all starts with a couple of spitting vultures sniping the lights of your blood moon base from afar. Spider zombies approach from several directions using stealth. Zombie policemen rush into your fortifications and explode. A pack of zombie dogs encircles you while howling incessantly. A couple of zombie bears rampages through your base destroying anything that looks like a support structure. A group of wild pigs tears through your fields.

Once your base has been breached, spider zombies move in and start destroying all the containers, workstations and vehicles you have in there, while newly arrived radiated cops keep you busy. They mostly ignore you for now, as their main goal is to make you scared and defenseless.

Wait, what just happened? Horde moves away! You survived the night! And then it dawns on you that they are moving in the direction of your actual base, not the stupid contraption you put together just for the night. You think you can still use your bike to catch up with them and save your base! But they leave behind a dozen diggers to slow you down by making sure you can't drive in a straight line.

The end.

I was undecided on this but since playing a17 more i actually kinda like building big death tunnels for them to work their way through so in the end i voted for new ai but agree with most when they say a little mix of both would be optimal.

I like the suggestion most of "leader" z's that guides the others to create priority targets and after those are taken down the followers scatter and do not path as well.

Archived