Some A17 thoughts

quill

7dtd has been my most-played game since early alpha. SP only. My background is just RPGs & turn-based (no twitch skills) but ever since Minecraft came out I've been hooked on sandbox. My game style varies, but once I'm used to a version I play mostly dead-is-dead, early game being my favorite. If I retire from a game (generally somewhere between day 29 and day 50 unless I get into significant base building) I'll usually up a difficulty slider or two. After A16 became stale I enjoyed Valmod (both versons) and War of the Walkers.

I always played ranged characters in RPGs, and I've leaned that way in 7dtd. I think it is very important that the game caters to multiple play styles. I've read some posts claiming that melee in A17 is relatively OP and I find myself agreeing. Not taking strength perks just gimps you too severely. Clearing at least non-dungeon POIs with a bow/headshot & stealth/shadows should be somewhat viable from the get-go but at present it generally ends up being a waste of time and ammo. I just end up killing everyone outside with my ax, or running away.

Masochistically I've recently tried a "only kill in self-defense" play-through. My game bugged out after day 12/level 10 but at least it got me to try the digging quests which I've previously considered too boring to attempt. My takeaway was that kiting zeds is basically useless for looting at present in most circumstances. Kiting should be a thing.

Although I miss the learn-by-doing exp system, I think the new perk system will be fine once it gets fine tuned.

Lastly, regarding the new AI, I find that I don't mind it. The new pathing skills are cool and give daytime new threats. The focused-fire zombie abilities seem bogus, but whatever. I can out-cheese the zombies on A17 horde nights with the tower-to-nowhere defense so that my base remains unmolested, killing zeds or not as I please. Or simply run away. What is cheese to some is legit for others and I don't think the pimps should worry about it overmuch. It is just a game and should only be about having fun. In general, more choice and more sliders = more fun for more people.

The focused-fire zombie abilities seem bogus, but whatever. I can out-cheese the zombies on A17 horde nights with the tower-to-nowhere defense so that my base remains unmolested, killing zeds or not as I please. Or simply run away. What is cheese to some is legit for others and I don't think the pimps should worry about it overmuch. It is just a game and should only be about having fun. In general, more choice and more sliders = more fun for more people.

What you dont get is that building defenses is the main aspect of the game for many players. There are so many better zombie killing games out there, why would I play this one if it were not for the building part?

So, saying "I can out-cheese so that my base remains unmolested, killing zeds or not as I please. Or simply run away.", doesnt make sense for us builders

What you dont get is that building defenses is the main aspect of the game for many players. There are so many better zombie killing games out there, why would I play this one if it were not for the building part?

So, saying "I can out-cheese so that my base remains unmolested, killing zeds or not as I please. Or simply run away.", doesnt make sense for us builders

Yeah agreed.

I wouldn't play this game still if the only activity was killing zombies.

The building part is my favourite thing.

[Likely many others feel the same]

I agree completely. If I just wanted to kill zombies I'd definitely pick something else to play. The building has always been what set the game apart from others for me.

@ Kalarro "What you dont get is that building defenses is the main aspect of the game for many players."

What no longer works defensively is a 2 or 3 block thick cement/steel wall about your base. It's kind of like what happened to castles in the middle ages after gunpowder and cannons were developed. Zeds now can focus fire like cannons. Maybe unrealistic, but hey we're talking zombies here. If just building castles is what you really want to do you are out of luck in a17 unless you go creative.

You can still build a cheese tower just outside your base so zeds end up leaving it alone. I get that this is unsavory as it kind of makes your base design irrelevant. (There is a hilarious you tube video of a character standing on a stack of wood frames while the horde kills itself with fall damage off the tower while he watches)

You can remove your armor and run. Again making base design irrelevant, so forget that. Though perhaps a useful plan B.

I've cheesed a17 so far because there hasn't been time to reliably build a base before the next experimental comes out. Now that it's stable I have a few ideas for bases where I can coax zombies into chasing me around (instead of smashing things) while I whittle them down. I'll probably have to turn the sliders down at first but once I have an AK with adequate ammo and a couple levels of headshot look out. Traps to follow.

Forgive me for quoting myself... "I think it is very important that the game caters to multiple play styles."

Quill you can easily stealth through a POI with a wooden bow and get the jump on some guys. Buy the stealth perks and it gets even easier.

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about with base building. I haven't had time to play a long term game yet with all the resets.

1.) Are you afraid they will destroy your painted masterpiece of a full city you spent hours on?

2.) Are you unwilling to patch the holes and damage they did?

3.) Does it feel like its not worth the effort because they break some blocks?

I'm not really sure, but I plan on building a big castle like I did for A16. If they did get in, I'd just go to another wing somewhere. Maybe that won't fly with A17? I just can't see them doing that much damage, but I could be wrong.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DC8qAorVwAEJpji.jpg

Please enlighten me as to how base building is a problem?

I agree completely. If I just wanted to kill zombies I'd definitely pick something else to play. The building has always been what set the game apart from others for me.

Yikes. Today I learned most people giving feedback in this Alpha DONT want to play a zombie survival game.

If people want a STRICT building game that is what creative is for. I never understood how you could buy this game, knowing its a zombie survival crafting game and then try to phase the threat of zombies OUT when there is a perfectly acceptable game mode that allows just that.

For me I always enjoyed trying to make my builds while under the threat of the zombies. It makes defending your build that much more exciting. Remove that then what is there to actually DO.

@ MM

"you can easily stealth through a POI with a wooden bow and get the jump on some guys. Buy the stealth perks and it gets even easier."

True. Been there done that... but stealthing through doesn't get you any loot. I've generally gone for headshot 2 and both stealth perks @ level 2 early on. But it hasn't been enough to clear all but the most rudimentary POIs. If I end up out on the street with my ax anyway (way more efficient even without perks) why waste the points?

@Jax

You've got to admit that a group of zeds going through steel like butter is a bit of a change from the status quo. I'm not surprised that defensively oriented players are upset. Hopefully most will adapt, though inevitably some will move on.

I'll try this ONE more time.

A16.4 had multiple playstyle options for both singleplayer and multiplayer.

A17 is designed as a tower defence game for MP.

No thought or balance has gone into SP or for people who like to stealth rather than tank and spank.

Want to kill z's today, build tomorrow, loot the day after and ignore the hoard to craft? Forget it.You're going to spend your entire time killing zombies for experience. The only thing you can build is a ramp base to cheese the AI.

I don't mind killing zombies but I don't JUST want to kill zombies. Right now Minecraft has more flexibility than 7 Days.

Alpha 17 is horrible in all aspects. The biome mix is a mess. The generation is a mess. The zombies are overpowered (why wasn't the 2ft reach fixed?). The AI pathing might be better but in most ways it's easier to cheese. The depth of the world is reduced. The size of the world is miniscule compared to A16.4 so you can forget about exploring; vehicles have been put in and made completely redundant. Why on earth reduce the map size from 10k radius to 8k square? Why make your game "less"?

The trader quests were a nice idea but have been made worthless given the rewards. And why the dearth of traders. I'm finding the nearest trader to be 4.5km away. Not just one map either.

The level gates (yes they are, if you can't make iron until 20 that's a level gate) make SP very very tough. Do you realize that not everyone plays MP?

Instead of wasting a year on trying to make it photo-realistic, why wasn't electricity improved (IE make it useful, lose the lag inherent in it)? Why not add/reskin different zombie types/costumes? A17 was a wasted opportunity. Instead of taking it to the next level, you've changed the game out of all recognition from what was purchased.

Luckily there are PLENTY of other games out there; many of whom aren't still in Early Access so you know what you're buying.

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about with base building. I haven't had time to play a long term game yet with all the resets.

1.) Are you afraid they will destroy your painted masterpiece of a full city you spent hours on?

2.) Are you unwilling to patch the holes and damage they did?

3.) Does it feel like its not worth the effort because they break some blocks?

I'm not really sure, but I plan on building a big castle like I did for A16. If they did get in, I'd just go to another wing somewhere. Maybe that won't fly with A17? I just can't see them doing that much damage, but I could be wrong.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DC8qAorVwAEJpji.jpg

Please enlighten me as to how base building is a problem?

This! I mean, do you expect your bases to never be damaged? What's the point in building a defenseive base in a game that implements a form of tower-defense if your base never gets touched and you don't have to spend resources to repair it? What are you doing with those resources anyway? Moving it around storage chests/staring at it?

Wonderful castle Joel, damn that's sexy. Would like to see more of it

True, the building part and voxel engine makes it outstanding. I am not advocating safe underground bases or the like, though.

Instead of wasting a year on trying to make it photo-realistic, why wasn't electricity improved (IE make it useful, lose the lag inherent in it)? Why not add/reskin different zombie types/costumes? A17 was a wasted opportunity. Instead of taking it to the next level, you've changed the game out of all recognition from what was purchased.

Luckily there are PLENTY of other games out there; many of whom aren't still in Early Access so you know what you're buying.

I agree with the first paragraph. More content, especially end game content would have been the better way compared to mostly complicate existing content, so I agree with the opportunity lost.

I disagree with many comparable games. The combination of a voxel based sandbox building game with a shooter in the depth of this game is unrivaled in my opinion. Or can you name any comparable games?

In terms of a voxel building game I am curious about Dual Universe, though, even if I don't like the space setting that much. Wait and see.

I'll try this ONE more time.

A16.4 had multiple playstyle options for both singleplayer and multiplayer.

A17 is designed as a tower defence game for MP.

No thought or balance has gone into SP or for people who like to stealth rather than tank and spank.

Want to kill z's today, build tomorrow, loot the day after and ignore the hoard to craft? Forget it.You're going to spend your entire time killing zombies for experience. The only thing you can build is a ramp base to cheese the AI.

I don't mind killing zombies but I don't JUST want to kill zombies. Right now Minecraft has more flexibility than 7 Days.

Alpha 17 is horrible in all aspects. The biome mix is a mess. The generation is a mess. The zombies are overpowered (why wasn't the 2ft reach fixed?). The AI pathing might be better but in most ways it's easier to cheese. The depth of the world is reduced. The size of the world is miniscule compared to A16.4 so you can forget about exploring; vehicles have been put in and made completely redundant. Why on earth reduce the map size from 10k radius to 8k square? Why make your game "less"?

The trader quests were a nice idea but have been made worthless given the rewards. And why the dearth of traders. I'm finding the nearest trader to be 4.5km away. Not just one map either.

The level gates (yes they are, if you can't make iron until 20 that's a level gate) make SP very very tough. Do you realize that not everyone plays MP?

I just use light armor and don't wear it until I'm in a POI, and have no points invested into fortitude. I wouldn't call that a tank. But I still spank every zombie I see. You get XP harvesting. I changed the trader xp and coin given drastically but it didn't make b240, so they are definitely worth it.

A16 wasn't any fun. I quit because you could sit on a roof and ignore a 64 zed horde.

Random gen used to be its own thing and it was always incompatible with the rest of the game. We unified it with how Navezgane map is loaded, which is image based. The benefits are countless for us developers and there isn't any CPU calculations during run time so its more performance friendly. However there are a lot of bugs and ways to improve it yet. The good news is as we update the terrain shaders random gen will inherit this too. We'll get bigger map support.

So nobody can reply about how building has been compromised in A17? I guess we'll leave it as is unless someone can provide some kind of logic as to how your play style was compromised.

As for single player, the game is cake on normal settings, and I disable air drops and play with 24 zeds on horde night. At least so far, I'm on day 11 and I'm level 31. If anything the game is leveling too fast and its too easy. I had iron tools on day 1, some steel tools by day 2. Bicycle by day 9 or 10. I had my forge to make my own ingots the same day my iron tools wore out. I have hundreds of meat in my box, loads of corn and potaoes but I can't make stew yet, didn't need to bacon and eggs is good enough for now. Horde night and an occasional feral are the only things that challenge me so far.

The problem is that a lot of people seem to be taking other people at their word rather than trying new ways to build and defend bases. Bases have definitely changed since A16 but I have managed just fine with my modified stilt base (I'm not using ramps) even though I've seen people say they are not viable anymore. It's hard to tell what genuinely needs tweaking until people really test all the options.

A16 wasn't any fun.

A16 was great, mostly because I could play it for more than 5 minutes before wanting to throw up from all the microstutter.

From the very little I've gotten to play A17, I can say the combat is way better in A17 at least. Archery and melee feel way more solid now. It sounds like you guys might need to backtrack on some of your A17 ideas though. Judging from your Steam reviews since 23 Dec, I think you and your player base maybe have different ideas about what is fun.

So nobody can reply about how building has been compromised in A17? I guess we'll leave it as is unless someone can provide some kind of logic as to how your play style was compromised.

As for single player, the game is cake on normal settings, and I disable air drops and play with 24 zeds on horde night. At least so far, I'm on day 11 and I'm level 31. If anything the game is leveling too fast and its too easy. I had iron tools on day 1, some steel tools by day 2. Bicycle by day 9 or 10. I had my forge to make my own ingots the same day my iron tools wore out. I have hundreds of meat in my box, loads of corn and potaoes but I can't make stew yet, didn't need to bacon and eggs is good enough for now. Horde night and an occasional feral are the only things that challenge me so far.

Madmole you say you want some Logic?

1. Recipes. All Recipes you learn only with click a skill 1 up kill more zeds get xp click another skill 1 up. I tried to bring back Recipes as loot items but the game does not accept a recipe unlock using a Book anymore. So this compromised my Playstyle and from many others. Add back a option to learn recipes only with reading a schematic or Recipe Book.

2. Resources : Insane high stacksizes and now you add some sort of fake weight system so people cant carry so many at the beginning, Recipes with insane amounts of resources needed same for Uprading costs.

3. Upgrading itself, no logic behind that upgrading a concrete block to a full steel block wihout removing old block and placing a steel block but it seems for you it makes sense you can upgrade everything to steel wihtout removing the old stuff.

4. Mining. This entire gravelplusiron spawns inside biomes make real mining if its not in caves horrible and i also dont see any logic behind it that every area with ore must be inside gravel. Compromise Playstyle of many people again too.

5. Zombie AI, really little bit smarter if ine, but zombies knowing each and every corner in a house to reach you makes no sense, zombies knowing always where you hide withour a small chance of failure makes no sense.

6 Base Building itself. 1 Keystone only makes no sense, ruins MP Games cause PVP people can easily find the keystone and remove it now. At same time it makes big bases impossibel cause you cant protect them against other Players. Make it a Setting in Serverconfig how many keystones are allowed.

7 Zombie Spawning: Hidden Zombies nice but not as it currently is. Spawning Zombies out of thin air is stupid and this thin air spawning happens very often. Also zombies spawning behind player after room was clean is stupid and makes no sense if there is no hole in wall or floor or roof to explain how the zombie could reach this place.

This game in Alpha 17 is now primary a shooter with some sort of base defense and a complete simplified crafting and survival system.

Only making stamina a issue and add a hunger and Water bar does not make a game a survival game, and in 7days to die Alpha 17 i have no survial feeling only feeling like playing a shooter with some sort of easy mode crafting and building system.

If i´m wrong and it is possible to add back as example Recipe books to unlock recipes and only unlocking the recipe with the book i woul dbe happy if you tell me how to do that. Same for other Stuff, so if there are hidden Settings to stop spawning out of thin air, adding more then 1 keystonet block and such things and its not explained in the files please tell me cause if it can be modded its ok for me.

A16 was great, mostly because I could play it for more than 5 minutes before wanting to throw up from all the microstutter.

From the very little I've gotten to play A17, I can say the combat is way better in A17 at least. Archery and melee feel way more solid now. It sounds like you guys might need to backtrack on some of your A17 ideas though. Judging from your Steam reviews since 23 Dec, I think you and your player base maybe have different ideas about what is fun.

MP Public server list always shows at least 100 active players no matter the time of day I look at it for the past 2 weeks. That’s just publicly listed servers. Before a17 it was very dead.

Squeaky wheels make the most noise.

Its pointless to build underground, unless you find it feasible to jump down a hole and break your leg to patch a deep hole.

Till zed AI is made more random, they will break your base into pieces.

As for single player, the game is cake on normal settings, and I disable air drops and play with 24 zeds on horde night. At least so far, I'm on day 11 and I'm level 31. If anything the game is leveling too fast and its too easy. I had iron tools on day 1, some steel tools by day 2.

We all get lucky and find a forge in the wild or find iron tools in a crate or a car, but that will be the exception and not the rule, we shouldn't treat it like everyone will have luck on their side with it, if you want a good measurement of when most players without finding these materials you have to determine how quickly they reach the level to create forges and craft iron tools, as well as having plenty of those resources.

The same should be said for concrete and steel. Personally I liked how it was last patch even if it was sorta level gated, it felt balanced, but currently the game's progression is a slow crawling linear--> exponential scale. If that makes sense, it starts very slow, then BOOM you're end game minus the mods.

Horde night and an occasional feral are the only things that challenge me so far.

I don't feel challenged by 7th day horde night, I feel cheesed by it. Artificial Difficulty, I keep screaming that at you devs and I don't think anyone understands what I mean by it.

Give me some meaningful content to the 7th day horde, its just the same thing, a gauntlet of perpetually sensing/chasing zombies for 15 minutes.

**You had a great idea with the cop zed, spits acid and explodes.

**Spider zed which can climb, you could make it do a dashing leap tied to a stam/grapple ability.

**You can give screamers the ability to scream so ear piercingly loud that not only does it summon more zed, it deafens the player for a few seconds or longer depending on your exposure which would make killing them from ranged safer than getting in close to melee range.

**Military zed can come with their SMG and/or grenades, since they're zed they would be very inaccurate and just shoot in random directions as they can't even hold their damn gun properly and killing them would have a chance at a grenade detonating, which would make killing these guys first before they got to the base more priority, and killing them near a pile of other zeds to possibly take out a group.

**Zeds that die that MUST be killed by explosion or fire or else they Revive, if two or more are nearby, their remains slither to mass and form and even bigger zed, your tank zombie.

**zeds that release parasitic bugs that are fast and attack the player, which can burrow into the player and require special means at removing them else they keep you drained of food/water ect, the process for removal would be extremely painful and require HP loss and probably bleeding so medical tools would be required, which moves me to my next idea,

** Tar Zed-- Spits hot tar like biological substance at the player causing burns and possibly blindness, depending if one or both eyes are hit.

(Find in the wild, not 7th day exclusive)

****Non Zed Ideas - Infected Survivor, close contact and any objects this NPC was around will infect you with zed virus, requiring antibiotics, items must be disinfected with any number of disinfecting products.

****Cannabilistic Hobo- Attacks you on sight with melee weapons or any ranged weapon they have, limited intelligence and fearless, screams and makes lots of noise which will attract zed, often to their own doom, and probably yours. Dare would you watch as the zed swarm and eat him, possibly to your own dismay as you'll be surrounded too!

****Feral Cat-- Will attack you if you're too close but tries to avoid you, has zed virus in its claws, if wound isn't disinfected high chance to contract zed virus or other viruses.

**** Crows -- Will destroy a number of your crops requiring you protect your crops with scarecrows or turrets/electric fence. Will avoid player if they get too close, can harvest for feathers and non infected meat.

*******The Medical Bay. Just like a Chem station or Work Bench, but for medical supplies and performing surgical procedures on the player to either enhance/stitch wounds (because bandages won't completely stop bleeding, it would just slow it down ) Pick a body part (the armor slots would work great for this So we can see which body part is actually bleeding, armor and clothing worn will become bloody and wearing them before disinfecting would cause a very high rate for infection or disease)

See? That's some strategy to incorporate, decision making. That's what we need, that's what I personally want,

You have other zeds, you can give 7 day horde zed special abilities too, instead you're just doing what Diablo 3 does, stat padding, buffing.

Instead of 500 hp, you deal with 2000 hp. Its 4 times harder right? No, its 4 times as boring.

The same way I kill 7 day horde, is the same way I kill other zeds. Run around and head shot them, use frames and spikes to maintain distance. its just more tedious as it lasts for 15 minutes.

How bad is it that instead of hunkering down into a base to defeat the horde, I simply outlast it by running ontop of the surface of water where they can't reach me? Why? Because its boring and annoying to deal with.

I circumvent it because its a waste of my time as a player and my resources. and I know some fascist is going to say "OH HUR DUR DUR YU CAN G3T SO MUCH OF DA EEE EXXX PEEEE FRUM KILLING DA HORDE AND SOME GEWD LEWT"

Yea, the same loot and xp I can get killing normal zeds. I don't care to do the same ♥♥♥♥ I've been doing for the past 6 hours for the same rewards I've been merited with. the only thing neat about 7 day horde is the sky turns blood red, That's cool. That's it.

I have played many MANY games in my lifetime, and 7 days has got to be one of the most tedious and boring early-mid game I have experienced as far as A17 goes.

Previously I didn't mind the early game even in A16, right now I can't enjoy this game for more than an hour at a time.

This is dangerous, but here is an idea.

Instead of crippling the damn player in normal difficulty, move all your crippling effects (Lower inventory, stamina, farming by using stam instead of action button to harvest ect,) to your harder difficulties, which would give far more replay value and require a difference in how to play each difficulty, drastically giving all players the game mode they want simply by selecting it in the difficulty options, Just keep zed HP the same, 9 freaking head shots to kill 1 zed in insane is not hard, its 9 times as boring and makes you waste more time, farming more damn arrows.

Right now all game modes really just feel the same to me, nothing is different other than the numbered measure of head shots required to kill zed, and they hit harder, which after you are geared up you don't notice anymore.

As many head shots are required with even high caliber weapons there wouldn't even be a head LEFT, and its funny to see the recreation of Pin Head from Hell Raiser when I come across a Fatty zed and try to kill it with arrowed head shots. LOL.

The idea behind that is everyone has been begging for different game modes and I believe the devs have stated they aren't sure how to properly separate the game modes. Well there you go.

And those that want to build and not be forged/pigeon holed into XML modifying or creative mode, can actually play the default game experience.

I also had iron tools day 1, some steel by day 2... Let me ask you, do you not find it disheartening that these steel tools from day 2 are the best you're ever going to get... for the rest of the game ... Sure, you'll get "higher quality" versions but since that only impacts durability, I'm finding it incredibly boring ...

MP Public server list always shows at least 100 active players no matter the time of day I look at it for the past 2 weeks. That’s just publicly listed servers. Before a17 it was very dead.

Squeaky wheels make the most noise.

People are playing because it's the first update in over a year. Let's wait for the patch hype to die down before we start calling people squeaky wheels you insulting little chop.

People are playing because it's the first update in over a year. Let's wait for the patch hype to die down before we start calling people squeaky wheels you insulting little chop.

Steam reviews are always a troll fest. The game has many content creators on YouTube and other platforms. The streamers I watch are still producing content. The comments are mixed but comparing that to steam reviews paints a very different story.

Using steam reviews as your only source? Try to do some more research.

What you just said is 200% true, people just want to see what the update offers, they will go back to their more interesting games after the hype is down because "This game still sucks." (Everyone I play with is saying this, "Don't bother." "They've HorseFked this game." "Game is even more pointless now." These are the comments I'm getting from long term 3-5 year + friends who have played this game in some various several seeds and have more than a few thousand hours of played time across multiple patches . No one wants to play. I wonder why.

I myself have close to 5000 hours,(Played since A6) and you know what, if the game didn't suck I'd have over 10,000 hours. I used to not get enough of this game, now I can't stand it for more than an hour or two. I just get bored.

I have not lost my love for the game, because I can still play other games that have building and survival elements and find myself up till the next day on weekends.

This game has UNLIMITED potential with its only limited by the players creativity, the ability to manipulate,build,craft almost anything. This game could overtake minecraft in sales and keep players playing as long as players have been addicted to games like EverQuest and WorldofWarcraft.

I've said my peace on Multiplayer Many MANY patches ago. (A12 I think ) Where players are more likely to rage quit and leave a server if they are raided or pvp killed, SI instability destroyed my A16 playing as the traps were AMAZING for a person who loves building elaborate bases. But randomly falling blocks when there was clearly proper support just made me say "Fk it.. and quit to go play something else."

and also there are even more bigger problems with this.

Locally downloading the map means anyone can locate and find anyone's base without even being on the server, they can do so in a single player game seed uninhibited by admin policing.

Performance I get. We'll fix the stuttering. We'll balance things too, but we're not changing any core systems. Some people just need to play the game and unlock the perks they want to play how they like. Its not all unlocked overnight, but we support more player styles now than ever if people stop complaining for two seconds and treat it like a new game or sequel and embrace what they have. Or go play a16 if you like it, noone is stopping you. For me A16 had no challenge.

Archived