Funnel Base Design

InSanity

It definitely works with barbed wire in place of the block. You could just put the dart trap above that. When I restart again, I will build a base to try it out and perfect it. My goal is to have every available trap hitting a zombie at one time. LOL.

I think for any base design in A17 unless they fix the pathing (to not be so crazily smart on hordes) then you just have to cheese it, by ramp bases, or maze/funnel bases where they wind their way through the base to get to you. It looks cool, can make for some fun bases, but I'll definitely miss the more traditional ones.

Here's my view of how to make an early on starter base, which can start small and expand, and with a couple of tricks up its sleeve!

Video link -->

I think for any base design in A17 unless they fix the pathing (to not be so crazily smart on hordes) then you just have to cheese it, by ramp bases, or maze/funnel bases where they wind their way through the base to get to you. It looks cool, can make for some fun bases, but I'll definitely miss the more traditional ones.

Here's my view of how to make an early on starter base, which can start small and expand, and with a couple of tricks up its sleeve!

Video link -->

Nice work as always, with 100% extra lulz. Who knew A17 would add more comical moments.

So not really sure the 2 wide is worthwhile vs making the path longer? Although I thought about adding something someone else had shown; if the spike/barbed row was dug down 1 layer, then as spikes break the unbroken side of the trench becomes the preferred lane as it is level with the ground. Would help ensure the zeds run through as many traps as possible.

Also I'd say going taller isn't an option; it's a must.

And my biggest pet peeve: Table candles, use them! :p

Also very interesting that the door not only doesn't "attract" zeds anymore (if it ever did, I think it was just always seen as "open" from a pahtfinding algorithm pov), it isn't a preferred path if it isn't open.

Very informative Vedui, and showing it all in action is much appreciated!

I've been trying to come up with a design that doesn't feel too cheesy but will allow a fair amount of melee. Your pathing info has given me an idea that may just work (probably not doable very early game though :( ). So thanks for that! :)

I've gone for the old "Human bait in a cage"-base for BM.

20181209145629_1.thumb.jpg.fabee3a3b022e8f539a95faa7baae855.jpg

This has served me well during day 7 and 14. I was still quite low level during those two BMs, so this may not work if you power level.

Notice: This was put together as a demonstration, final product may not look identical to the one in the picture.

Concrete blocks are only there to more easily see the barbed wire and is not required during BM. Use this design at your own risk.

20181209145603_1.jpg.1bdc39870bdf25699380cb25886e2055.jpg

20181209150148_1.jpg.71277f36937befdd1e90ef34def63d3c.jpg

It definitely works with barbed wire in place of the block. You could just put the dart trap above that. When I restart again, I will build a base to try it out and perfect it. My goal is to have every available trap hitting a zombie at one time. LOL.

Yea barbed wire would work up top... for about the first 3 zombies now that they can hit above themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Also very interesting that the door not only doesn't "attract" zeds anymore (if it ever did, I think it was just always seen as "open" from a pahtfinding algorithm pov), it isn't a preferred path if it isn't open.

I think it was Faatal? that said doors get seen as 4x weaker than they really are now to the zeds. So while a door isn't a primary target anymore it still takes a lot to make it appear stronger than a wall to the z's.

Been thinking about trying doors on their sides, so 2 wide, 1 tall, one above the other (if that's possible). Be interesting to see if an 'open door' is an 'open door' to the AI or it it checks for 2 high.

Came from dreaming for roll-down shutters. Those would be really nice, even if ~759-1000hps, to place above a horizontal pole setup where you could melee a bit, then roll down the shutters for a few seconds grace while you relocated.

after doing some work in creative for a horde base today i came up with this, and saw this post so tought i drop it here if you guys find it interesting, they come up single file and it had space for atleast 4 players workbenches and storrage.

it can be built using cobblestone and up it does need a forge but after that it is pretty easy to get up and running before first horde day.

aditionaly it uses no traps so you get all the exp you want and if you dont want it most of the dmg is from cops/ferals so if you take those out you can basicly just let them be

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1587122147

sorry for my bad english

Video link -->

I had a feeling this kind of base would work.

Using what's working against you and making it work for you is the best strategy there is.

Love it.

I think with some upgrades that base could go the distance. I can easily see making that a day 98 base.

It makes me sad that we have to resort to these cheap AI pathing tricks now to fight z's. That or just run on the streets with them which is what I've done so far D7 and 14 hordes. I really liked bashing em in the head as they tried breaking thru my pillar 50's. I have hope in Faatal's talent tho and am waiting to see what the final Zombie AI ends up being. I'm pretty sure he isn't satisfied with it yet.

Has anybody got a Pillar50 design that is viable? I've tried using them but the zeds are through before you even realise you're under attack let alone get down to ground floor to start whacking. Platform with a hole for lobbing molotovs when enough of them are inside the ground floor is my current go to tactic though I keep lighting myself on fire even 4 blocks up throwing on a diagonal.

Um.............Unless I really screwed up your directions that base does not work, at all.

Video:

i just responded on your video and then realized i guess i shoulda put the response here instead-lol:

hmmm-this is odd because i accidentally created something like this. Not intending it to work this way necessarily. it was just my exit. I have a door in the wall-leading to a narrow ledge and the ledge has a hatch with a ladder. They don't ALWAYS go to the ladder but pretty regularly. If i hear noise outside (usually a screamer)-i can be pretty sure where i will find her/them: Bonking their heads on the hatch-lol! So i'm not sure what triggers them to do that or not do that (i didn't put the ladder all the way to the ground in the hopes it would still prevent them climbing it. i can't tell if they are able to or not. They jump at it and bonk their heads and fall down)

From another thread from me:

So I built a kill zone on my dedicated server. It was actually OP and enemies couldn't get to us on horde night. I'll post a twitch highlight soon if you're interested in seeing it. Essentially, it was a 12x12 square in the middle, each side had a 15 block long 3 block wide hallway with 5 blade traps in each and an auto turret to shoot down the hallway. The outside of the base was a 6 block tall fence with 1 row of spike traps. The whole base was concrete. The blood moon zombies pathed to the hallways, blade traps killed them when they entered, us players and the auto turrets fired down the hall ways at them. It basically turned the game into easy mode. We were around level 130 and used it for the Night 49 and 56 horde nights. Turned the game into easy mode so we ended up wiping the server because the only thing left to do was farm for bullet materials every day. Playing on Nomad with 16 zombie setting for horde nights.

You need to open the context radial and set the mode to advanced rotation Wamplet. Takes a bit to get around to where you want. Though once you have one placed, if the rotation gets reset you can use the same radial and set copy rotation to get a match.

ok thanks. i did a quick search and it looks like Tab or R may toggle it. i forgot the key as i don't use it very often.

Archived