Funnel Base Design

InSanity

My last playthrough I made a fairly standard stilt base and just surrounded it with spikes and barbed wire and shot down at them as they went for the pillars and that worked just fine, but with the new AI there's been lots of new designs that exploit how the zombies will always go for the easiest route which allows the use of "mazes" or "funnels" so I decided to give it a go. This is the base I was able to get up by the first horde with 90 minute days on scavenger, and I'm only playing scavenger because I believe the difficulty scaling for things like quests and horde nights is a bit much as already on day 7 I got a wandering horde of about 20 Zs including a cop and a couple soldiers. Also, I am currently level 24 with no deaths and have a gamestage of 36, which being fairly low I am not at all concerned about the first horde but want to know other base designs and what you guys think of the new AI in general.

So, I guess the AI didn't want to go through there so they jumped over the walls/broke through them in record time and completely destroyed me so I'm really sure what happened. I thought they always chose the path of least resistance so to speak and that should have been the spikes although I could be wrong.

20181206180326_1.jpg.db6aa57e7d924e491588dc52c02daf04.jpg

That's pretty cool.

I'm looking forward to seeing how that design progresses as the game stages get higher.

Looks very promising.

Anything come up the backside?

I really don't know how it's going to work but I'll update the post after I finish the horde and then I can see where I might need to change something up or strengthen certain areas/defenses.

If you really want to be cheap, just make a center hole in a platform with four pillars holding it up. Make a pillar offset in the center so you can add a ladder up the center hole. Now extent the center pillar up above the platform by two blocks and add a block one space above the top of the platform. Boom. Base done. The zombies will never attack your pillars or the base because the A.I. will try to climb the ladder to get to you. They will stop at the top of the ladder when their head hits the block above the hole. Bash them in the face or shoot them if you prefer. There are several other ways to exploit the A.I.. Some of them are more fun, but none of them are as cheap.

I believe there is a deficiency (?) in the AI that causes them to avoid spikes.

I've got a base that doesn't need spikes, but I thought I'd try a line of them where the Z's do their conga line.

When my line of spikes is complete they will walk the length of the spikes.

Once the spikes in the middle of the line become destroyed they will go wide and avoid all the remaining spikes.

Personally I don't like spikes, due to my tendency to walk on them myself.

No, they are happy to walk on spikes. They just will just refuse to collide with spikes that are above their pathing route, such as spikes that are placed on top of flat ground. If you dig a 1 block deep hole and put a spike in it, the zombies will happily path over it. Once the spike is 'spent', there's a whole, and they will avoid the hole because it's a 'pathing obstacle'.

If you really want to be cheap, just make a center hole in a platform with four pillars holding it up. Make a pillar offset in the center so you can add a ladder up the center hole. Now extent the center pillar up above the platform by two blocks and add a block one space above the top of the platform. Boom. Base done. The zombies will never attack your pillars or the base because the A.I. will try to climb the ladder to get to you. They will stop at the top of the ladder when their head hits the block above the hole. Bash them in the face or shoot them if you prefer. There are several other ways to exploit the A.I.. Some of them are more fun, but none of them are as cheap.

You should post a video of that or send your idea to one of the streamers.

That would be awesome to watch.

Actually I bet Vedui would make a video about that and he's right here on these forums.

You should post a video of that or send your idea to one of the streamers.

That would be awesome to watch.

Actually I bet Vedui would make a video about that and he's right here on these forums.

I would definitely put this together and stream it. Would be cool to see it happen. If CoolJ has a video pic I would be happy to recreate it.

I would definitely put this together and stream it. Would be cool to see it happen. If CoolJ has a video pic I would be happy to recreate it.

Looking forward to it.

I love seeing humans tackle AI's.

Ever since Big Blue took on Kasperov I've been fascinated by the subject.

Looking forward to it.

I love seeing humans tackle AI's.

Ever since Big Blue took on Kasperov I've been fascinated by the subject.

Not to advertise or anything of the sort, but my new horde base design should be ready this weekend on stream and it is a total custom creation that I'm hoping will funnel the zambies through 4 different inlets to their demise.... not sure how it will go lol.

Will be Night 42 horde at earliest or 49 at the latest.

Um.............Unless I really screwed up your directions that base does not work, at all.

Video:

Not to advertise or anything of the sort, but my new horde base design should be ready this weekend on stream and it is a total custom creation that I'm hoping will funnel the zambies through 4 different inlets to their demise.... not sure how it will go lol.

Will be Night 42 horde at earliest or 49 at the latest.

See this is the kind of thing I'm looking into for A17 as well.

With the AI getting better and better pathfinding comes the opportunity to turn it against them.

Once we get accustomed to A17's AI Pathing priorities and know which way the Zeds will choose, it's meat grinder time!

Just need the right lure.

dKHf6xA.gif

Um.............Unless I really screwed up your directions that base does not work, at all.

Video:

Fascinating.

I am wondering if there's a way to make this work.

Thanks for making that vid.

Very informative.

it's a nice design however you need it to be on all 4 sides.

I would've considered that but this was first try at a design like this for alpha 17 and I was making it in the first week so I did not have time to do it but once the next build comes out I"ll definitely give it another go, or at least a similar design.

Did you also tried to cover up the top with an half or quarter block? Maybe this could work but I am not sure. Its just a guess.

Good idea, I just went and tried with half block/quarter block and even a plate. No change. There is no path up the ladder so they go pound on a support.

Good idea, I just went and tried with half block/quarter block and even a plate. No change. There is no path up the ladder so they go pound on a support.

I bet I know why it's not working. I used a hatch there in my test rig so I could use it to get up on the platform also. I was flipping it up and down to see if it made a difference but it didn't look like it mattered. Probably because they were already on the ladder. I didn't try with an actual block. I assumed that it still worked like A.16 and that a block would work also. Seems like they are actually checking for a two high path now. I did not try with a blade trap either and I bet that would work well also. I guess it depends on weather they see the blade trap as an obstruction. As far as I can tell, they do not see barbed wire as an obstruction of any kind. I bet if you used barbed wire there instead of a hatch, that would stop them in their tracks also. That should allow a design that works from day one.

Needs some refinement but there is some real potential there. A blade trap setup to lop the heads off and a shotgun turret is what I'm thinking. Right now I am using a hop step setup with barbed wire and electric fences that is also cheap and works very well. When they get to the top they get electrocuted and shot in the face. If they live through that, they attempt to walk across to me because the plate and the center pillar and the iron bars is considered a valid path. They then fall through the new blade trap I just installed. I will be installing a turret above my head as soon as I can either buy one or make one. Which ever comes first.

HopStep1.thumb.jpg.190a87f7c8a42575daae508793c59c95.jpg

HopStep2.thumb.jpg.701832294daaeae8fd5316e8999b748d.jpg

HopStep3.thumb.jpg.82e2b4ba5303192eb6c933d224237690.jpg

It makes me sad that we have to resort to these cheap AI pathing tricks now to fight z's. That or just run on the streets with them which is what I've done so far D7 and 14 hordes. I really liked bashing em in the head as they tried breaking thru my pillar 50's. I have hope in Faatal's talent tho and am waiting to see what the final Zombie AI ends up being. I'm pretty sure he isn't satisfied with it yet.

I was trying to place some iron bars flat so i could use them as an outer floor around my tower base, but forgot how to get them to lay flat. I saw there is a centered and regular iron bar. i thought i tried both with the mouse button alternate place function, but maybe i didn't.

You need to open the context radial and set the mode to advanced rotation Wamplet. Takes a bit to get around to where you want. Though once you have one placed, if the rotation gets reset you can use the same radial and set copy rotation to get a match.

And just in case you don't know what the radial menu is, just push and hold the "r" key while you have a block/bar in your hand.

- - - Updated - - -

Video:

I wonder how that would go with a dart trap two high up the pillar. That way they would have a clear path into the hail of darts as they come up the ladder.

Archived