In which Alpha did they add Blood Moon Hordes?

AlpakaMix

For the first several alphas all zombies always GPS'ed to the player. I started playing in Alpha 5 and there were no wandering hordes and no bloodmoon hordes. But every night was like bloodmoon because zombies always knew where you were.

I can't remember exactly when those were added but it wasn't until later and it was wandering hordes first I think and then bloodmoon hordes. But this is ancient history so it's hard to remember. I want to say around Alpha 8 - 9 maybe?

*runs to go check*

From Alpha 7 patch notes...

Added a new horde spawning system where player’s noises contribute to the possibility of a horde spawning. Zombies no longer know exactly where you are day or night.

Oops...class is starting. someone else will have to hunt for when blood moon started.

For the first several alphas all zombies always GPS'ed to the player. I started playing in Alpha 5 and there were no wandering hordes and no bloodmoon hordes. But every night was like bloodmoon because zombies always knew where you were.

I can't remember exactly when those were added but it wasn't until later and it was wandering hordes first I think and then bloodmoon hordes. But this is ancient history so it's hard to remember. I want to say around Alpha 8 - 9 maybe?

*runs to go check*

From Alpha 7 patch notes...

Oops...class is starting. someone else will have to hunt for when blood moon started.

How can you have class when you never had class to begin with?:disillusionment:... Oh! :eagerness: wrong type of class.

**kidding :playful:

Screamer Hordes added in Alpha 10.

From the Alpha 10 patch notes...

Added a new zombie horde world heat map system that tracks how much noise and smells have added up in a zone. Over time the zone will cool down, but if it heats up too fast spider zombies will come and investigate the area. If they find something and start screeching a horde will soon follow. Campfires, forges, smells and dead animal gore also contribute to the heat maps intensity.

The very first Alpha release had daily horde nights which made the game literally a tower defense game. It was fun but got old fast. In the grand scheme of things, not a whole lot has changed when it comes to hordes other than now they're on the 7th day, but we still get those small hordes of wolves or w/e every few days and the annoying stragglers that GPS to you.

But I don't have a clue which update made the daily horde night into 7th day horde night.

I had this argument with someone a while back about where the name of the game comes from, since I think I started playing in A7 and they didn't have 7 day hordes that I can remember, I thought the name came from the time it takes for an infection to kill you. No? 7 days to die of an infection came first didn't it?

ALPHA 12 3.7.2015

Added a new dynamic ambient audio system with wind loops, gusts, ambient oneshots, ambient loops, daybreak, nightfall and bloodmoon stingers. The system adjusts the wind based on the weather and plays the daybreak stinger at 6 am, the nightfall stinger at dusk when zombies start running and the bloodmoon stinger on full moon 7th night.

Alpha 15 5 Oct 2016

Blood Moon Dynamic Difficulty

We have also added a Blood moon horde dynamic difficulty system. At runtime the game calculates the spawn game stage difficulty group for each party based on the criteria of number of players in the party, each player’s level in the party, each player’s current days survived ratio in the party and the hosts global difficulty setting. These things work together to output a game stage number or dynamic difficulty number for each party.

Higher game stage numbers have harder enemies F.E. Game stage 10 might only have base female and crawler zombies while game stage 20 might spawn those plus Dogs and Feral Zombies. Higher game stages will also have higher spawn limits meaning more total spawned not more alive at once to keep the games framerate consistent. New players can join the game just before the first Blood moon and only get a game stage 1 horde if they’re the only party member. The plan is to use the dynamic difficulty system for static spawned and screamer hordes in A16.

Available on steam A15 b105 presently.

ALPHA 12 3.7.2015

Added a new dynamic ambient audio system with wind loops, gusts, ambient oneshots, ambient loops, daybreak, nightfall and bloodmoon stingers. The system adjusts the wind based on the weather and plays the daybreak stinger at 6 am, the nightfall stinger at dusk when zombies start running and the bloodmoon stinger on full moon 7th night.

Alpha 15 5 Oct 2016

Blood Moon Dynamic Difficulty

We have also added a Blood moon horde dynamic difficulty system. At runtime the game calculates the spawn game stage difficulty group for each party based on the criteria of number of players in the party, each player’s level in the party, each player’s current days survived ratio in the party and the hosts global difficulty setting. These things work together to output a game stage number or dynamic difficulty number for each party.

Higher game stage numbers have harder enemies F.E. Game stage 10 might only have base female and crawler zombies while game stage 20 might spawn those plus Dogs and Feral Zombies. Higher game stages will also have higher spawn limits meaning more total spawned not more alive at once to keep the games framerate consistent. New players can join the game just before the first Blood moon and only get a game stage 1 horde if they’re the only party member. The plan is to use the dynamic difficulty system for static spawned and screamer hordes in A16.

Available on steam A15 b105 presently.

A12 was when the current system was introduced but most certainly wasn't when 7 day hordes came in.

I started playing 7DTD on A10 [i think] and we had them then.

I had this argument with someone a while back about where the name of the game comes from, since I think I started playing in A7 and they didn't have 7 day hordes that I can remember, I thought the name came from the time it takes for an infection to kill you. No? 7 days to die of an infection came first didn't it?

I vaguely remember a dev saying something about how it had no real meaning yet (this was way back in the early Alpha stages, like Alpha 1 or 2), but assuming with all the players asking about it, maybe the devs later decided to add meaning for it, like 7th day horde or infection, I don't know. I never really cared enough to pay too much attention to that stuff, so I don't really know much about how it all went down.

My crappy memory says it's the 7 days it takes to die from infection, so sayeth the angry critter...

Have you ever actually waited it out.

[Just curious]

I've never done it. Always seem to find antibiotics or honey in time.

Or... die... and then I don't have to worry about it. :apathy:

@LuckyStar that was only in response to

"AlpakaMix

Thanks so far for the answers, maybe someone nows it exactly?

What i mean is the horde with red moon and so on, like we have it today, when was this introduced? "

It was the closest i could find to reference "The bloodmoon spectrum horde" referenced above. Reading the Version history from Gamepedia shows different variations of the horde implimentation over time . As far as the Bloodmoon I got my answer from looking at each dll version internally, for BloodMoon manager.

I know the hordes come every 7 days but I think the key difference is what kind? Are we referring to the current ones where they all GPS towards you and can sense us throughout the night or its just referring to a big nasty horde that comes every 7 days?

Because the latter was what was prevalent for awhile in which every 7 days, its basically a super huge wandering horde that walk by but you could avoid it if you're not seen or out of their sense range. I remember avoiding these hordes by building a base on stilts that was like at least 30 blocks high and just simply watching the Zeds walk right on by underneath.

I know the hordes come every 7 days but I think the key difference is what kind? Are we referring to the current ones where they all GPS towards you and can sense us throughout the night or its just referring to a big nasty horde that comes every 7 days?

Because the latter was what was prevalent for awhile in which every 7 days, its basically a super huge wandering horde that walk by but you could avoid it if you're not seen or out of their sense range. I remember avoiding these hordes by building a base on stilts that was like at least 30 blocks high and just simply watching the Zeds walk right on by underneath.

Do you know when these GPS hordes started? Where they available in Alpha 12?

Archived