There i am, minding my own business...

ilukaappledash

... when 4 Direwolves black as night appeared behind me and proceeded to separate my various limbs from my body.

Seemed a little extreme for a day 13 wandering horde, especially seeing as i dont like to continue playing a save file after I die, seeing as, you know, death is rather permanent.

Anyone else had one of these deaths out of nowhere?

I generally dont like to continue playing a save after dieing in survival games, seems a little redundant in a survival game. But maybe thats just me.

The game is still broken right now, either play with cheats on, or shake your head and put it down to another break in the game.

I have faith these "silent" gps hordes will be fixed eventually, like howling for wolves as they start to hunt you to give you time to get somewhere safe-ish. Or barking for the Z dogs, growling for bears and Z bears, moaning for the horde o Z's you get my point.

TFP is still polishing the game, so I don't expect a perfect experience at the moment. If you are doing pretty much everything you can, ie: not focusing only on that rock in front of you, and maybe using frames to get some elevation to scan the area every so now an then shrug your shoulders and move on.

If I'm making alot of noise or heat, I try to stay hyper alert until a horde has passed me by, then I know I should be safe for the rest of the day-ish.

... when 4 Direwolves black as night appeared behind me and proceeded to separate my various limbs from my body.

Seemed a little extreme for a day 13 wandering horde, especially seeing as i dont like to continue playing a save file after I die, seeing as, you know, death is rather permanent.

I generally dont like to continue playing a save after dieing in survival games, seems a little redundant in a survival game. But maybe thats just me.

Yeah the Direwolves thing is a bit....unbalanced. I got jumped on day 40. think it was a wandering spawn.

Heard a howl, so stopped to look and before I could 4 of em were ravaging me (was forest - high graphics, came at be from behind large rock outcroppings) Was properly armored. got of maybe 2 or 3 arrows. Died. Maybe direwolves should make a little more sound so you can actually...defend.

I actually escaped a situation like this once. I was out harvesting the magic rocks, got jumped by a wolf, and immediately took off sprinting. I must have managed to gank the AI by dodging around the big stones until I could jump on one to survey the scene. Once I saw where they were and the layout of the area, I used the same dodging strategy to keep obstacles between us until I made it back to my minibike.

Now that time when 2 zombie bears and a dog pack ambushed me on Day 2....not so much.

Who tries to shoot wolves with arrows? That's why you're supposed to be carrying a Lucille with you at all times.

Also, about getting jumped, at least you're not Gavin from Achievement Hunter. I think the zombies actively seek him out so they can chow down.

The earliest in day count was day 6... A pack of dogs lead by a dire wolf... That first time I still remember... lol

Other times are a pack of dogs, 2 bears and a dire wolf... <- 2 Bears! Like the dire wolf was the general and then bears where his captains lol

All sorts of combinations!

Yes, sometimes - if you detect them before they hit you - you can out run them to a degree... You can also run as fast and far as you can and then quickly sneak to see if they're following you! There's another method I use... lol

It all depends upon gamestage!

Who tries to shoot wolves with arrows? That's why you're supposed to be carrying a Lucille with you at all times.

Also, about getting jumped, at least you're not Gavin from Achievement Hunter. I think the zombies actively seek him out so they can chow down.

Ranged is better because it has a better chance of putting them down without getting hit. The AI for dogs/wolves is better than it was in A15 but it's still pretty bad with them constantly zigging and zagging when they are already right in your face. That kind of movement can make melee a death trap when you aren't on nice level and clear ground. I had a wolf kill me once while I was fully armored and using a good spiked club because out of six swings none connected with the head. Every time I was in mid swing the wolf turned broadside and caught the hit on the shoulder.

Can´t understand how they couldn´t hotfix this last patch. At least that this doesn´t happen in the first week. Not really any idea of how complicated this might be, but i doubt that this is a very complicated task to give them a timer. Drove lots of people away from actually playing a16 that those fkers could get you even on day 2 already.

Can´t understand how they couldn´t hotfix this last patch. At least that this doesn´t happen in the first week. Not really any idea of how complicated this might be, but i doubt that this is a very complicated task to give them a timer. Drove lots of people away from actually playing a16 that those fkers could get you even on day 2 already.

Its in the xml files. Wandering Horde list is pretty regimented. You can move the wolf and dog groups to the end of the list (which once the list is done, it goes back to the beginning again).

The game is still broken right now, either play with cheats on, or shake your head and put it down to another break in the game.

I have faith these "silent" gps hordes will be fixed eventually, like howling for wolves as they start to hunt you to give you time to get somewhere safe-ish. Or barking for the Z dogs, growling for bears and Z bears, moaning for the horde o Z's you get my point.

TFP is still polishing the game, so I don't expect a perfect experience at the moment. If you are doing pretty much everything you can, ie: not focusing only on that rock in front of you, and maybe using frames to get some elevation to scan the area every so now an then shrug your shoulders and move on.

If I'm making alot of noise or heat, I try to stay hyper alert until a horde has passed me by, then I know I should be safe for the rest of the day-ish.

The ninja zombies, and animals in the wandering hordes really get on my nerves too, unless I get lucky I am usually getting hit before I notice them as they seem to not make a sound. Was playing a game and got killed by a dog wandering horde while checking my minibike inventory, didn't even hear them coming, was almost dead, got on bike got away was bleeding, I died from bleed damage while in the middle of using a first-aid kit.. Was halfway thru the animation when my health hit 0. if I had ONE more health point at that time i'd have lived.

Perversely these are some of my favourite moments in game. Well apart from the habit they had of spawning on your head, quite comical looking around to see whats hitting you!

Some of the best jump scares i have had have been dogs/wolves/bears sneaking up. Almost escaping by jumping on a car then getting blown to hell just as you think you can take the last one down! We've all been there done that and died in horrible ways.

It may not be fair, buts its exciting, exhilarating and funny as hell at times. I'm all for a bit more warning, but will miss the sheer terror of running into a pack of bears and watching them slowly destroy the only big rock in sight while my stone arrows tickle them into submission.

Its in the xml files. Wandering Horde list is pretty regimented. You can move the wolf and dog groups to the end of the list (which once the list is done, it goes back to the beginning again).

You telling me that they made it on purpose that you can get a direwolf pack on day 2? If it is in the XMLS it has to be an easy fix imo.

To be honest, i keep the cheat codes on in the background, and when these 4 direwolves surrounded me without sound I hit the god button and hovered above the scene just to take it in. I then placed myself nearby and decided that i had to try and fight them or i might as well play creative if im going to use cheat codes to save myself.

Even though its been almost 5 years of polish time since release, i know theres a lot going on behind the scenes so i can't demand perfection :D

Hell League of Legends has been a hot mess this entire season and Riot Games has such a massive portfolio of employees and the money to back them and they still manage to mess things up.

Was properly armored. got of maybe 2 or 3 arrows. Died.

Now thats a worry, because i accepted my fate thinking to myself, "i should have had some armour by day 13" and as it happens, i was walking around in cowboy boots and a tank top and thats it :S

But if 4 Direwolves can kill you through Day 40 levels of armour that quickly, what hope do we have?

- - - Updated - - -

Magic Rocks? I havent found any magical rocks in my play through yet :D

Good to hear of someone surviving a wolf encounter. You give us all hope.

yeah like there can be simply noone around me while i mine some stone, but after i ifinish like 3 stones.. somehow there is eitehr a big zombie stunning me from behind.. or there is somehow a wandering dog smelling me or whatever.. i was before i tried to play really hard, now i almost had a accident where i forget to keep hjaving a car inbetween me and the wolf.. so i ran into th wilderness and shooting the wolf with metal arrows.. it took 5 shots and didnt die so i died.. but i ran back and get me ♥♥♥♥.. so really not an issue when it comes to getting ressetted by karma

My current playthrough has been a stellar example of these absurd death packs, and my one and only playthrough where I've had some stunning luck (day 45, no deaths).

My first mega pack of dogs arrived prior to day 7. Totally unreasonable to throw that at a 'young' player with very, very rudimentary weapons and armour (if any) , and sod all stamina. I forget how many dogs I counted, and how I managed to avoid them, but it was a totally unreasonable pack for a new playthrough. Wooden club and cloth armour. Yeah...

Next came the spectacular pack of dogs that I luckily encountered while inside the gates of the transmission tower. The dogs were all piled up against the iron bars at the entrance, where I could shoot through to kill them. Dumb luck again, otherwise it would have been lethal 3 times over. Chances are the new A17 AI would have seen them path to me and finish my game.

Then came another fluke. A pack of dogs with a zombie bear hit... but I was in a trader, and they all went smack into the traders walls and were stopped. I just picked off each dog one by one from a distance, then beat the head of the bear where it was clipping through the trader base. Once again, improved pathing would have seen them finish me off 10x over.

More dumb luck, with me killing 2 bears and a wolf/direwolf pack, but all of them totally lethal under anything other than dumb-luck circumstances, and all of them likely to be mega lethal with improved pathing.

I think A17 will feature a lot of tears from shredded players until some renewed balance is applied to these packs... don't get too attached to your first few playthroughs of A17 folks!

Last playthrough i must have just got lucky. I made it to having 600Q armour and weapons with more rounds in my fort than i knew what to do with.I died twice today on Day 1 cos of wolves jumping me. To be fair i was also watching tv at the time because when its day 1 and im spending a majority of my time smacking rocks and trees with a stone axe, i tend to zone out due to boredom.

But if you keep to the mentality that a death means death and you cant just respawn and go about your day like some Jesus wannabe, it is very disheartening to have to reset multiple times before you have the equipment to even have a chance of survival.

Well, one of them was a normal wolf, maybe if i found a bunch of feathers and wood and stone and didnt get distracted by having to collect all these resources, maybe i could have crafted a bow, some arrows, and backpedalled (until A17 removes backpedalling) while firing arrows to kill the wolf.

When you find a direwolf day 1, no hope.

Surely thats the attraction of dead means dead, luck plays a huge part in surviving long enough to get anywhere near decent armour/weapons.

It can be terribly hard at times and highly rewarding when you get that lil bit of luck that gets you through the day. To be honest ,its not unfair, its unlucky and those sort of events really add to the thrill of early gameplay and add huge risk making you take extra care.

Watching tv on day one while bashing rocks, not expecting lupine company is taking for granted how easy the first few days can be. For me it should stay as is, once pathing and ai is fixed along with sound cues.

If such a thing ever came about you wouldnt expect the zombies to wait for you get armour and weapons so why should the game?

Random dog\bear\wolf hordes are challenging at most stages if caught unawares

Archived