Out of Memory after 63 hours of gameplay

EZ2Remember

• 4 weeks later...

It's not a problem of the PC memory, It's the problem of the game who don't refresh memory correctly by removing old data who are not use actually in game since 30mn minimum!

I have 8gb & in single & multi, the game eat very much memory since a16, I didn't have this problem with all old version! Now with only a16, every 4 hours I need to quit the game because:

- enter in game, eat +3gb

- game after +4h playing (in the same aera from my base only), eat +7gb

- with one of my single game, I play at coordinate 0.0 for +1h, eat +4gb, teleport to a aera +5km for +30mn, eat +5gb, return back to 0.0 for +3h, eat +5gb

I play with mod or not, it's the same! I play many other game in single/multi who are more beautifull/powerfull than 7DTD, I nerver need to quit the game to refresh memory during +4h playing!

Even game server side, we must to reboot it after 4-6 hours, if not the server become verry slow like the server didn't know to calculate & that will product some bugs weird (I don't talk about bugs like we report about the game itself).

& now, wait & see with a17 if will be the samething...

It's not a problem of the PC memory, It's the problem of the game who don't refresh memory correctly by removing old data who are not use actually in game since 30mn minimum!

I have 8gb & in single & multi, the game eat very much memory since a16, I didn't have this problem with all old version! Now with only a16, every 4 hours I need to quit the game because:

- with one of my single game, I play at coordinate 0.0 for +1h, eat +4gb, teleport to a aera +5km for +30mn, eat +5gb, return back to 0.0 for +3h, eat +5gb

I play with mod or not, it's the same! I play many other game in single/multi who are more beautifull/powerfull than 7DTD, I nerver need to quit the game to refresh memory during +4h playing!

Even game server side, we must to reboot it after 4-6 hours, if not the server become verry slow like the server didn't know to calculate & that will product some bugs weird (I don't talk about bugs like we report about the game itself).

Why are you reviving an abandoned thread?

The game demands a minimum of 8GB of ram, if you don't have that, you will have problems. If you only meet the minimum requirements, then you might have problems during long sessions as the game isn't fully optimized and is still in Alpha stage of development. If you have 12GB of ram or more, then theoretically, you can play forever and never crash once. I personally have 16GB of ram now and even back when I only had 8GB of ram (when the game only required 4 - 8GB ram), not once did I ever crash with this game, even during really long game sessions.

And I'm able to run my dedicated server for several hours at a time without any issues at all. Clearly you're doing something wrong. My dedicated server is a POS, not at all powerful. And this is completely unrelated to this thread's topic.

Also, of course A17 will have the same optimization problems. Were you really expecting miracles? The game is in Alpha stage of development, they're not focusing on optimizations, they're focusing on content. If anything, A17 might be a mess during initial release and will require a few patches to clean it up to a nice playable state again.

I’ve not really had any memory issues after clocking more than 125 hours in game total with long game sessions

But my rig is my dedi server rig

Dell t7400 (yes it’s ainchent lol)

Dual xeon x5472 3ghz quad core (8 cores total)

128gb ddr2 Ecc-fbdimm 667mhz

Nvidia gtx1050 ti over overclocked

A setup that a website says will not run the game or give any more than 0-10 FPS

But I achieved 120fps on low setting and 25-60fps on high/ ultra with resolution just below max so I’m not having this issue but with you saying about it’s ram hunger I’ll do myself a little test and observation to see if I have this also :)

Run CCleaner, Defrag, restart and try again. That's what I do on my 4gb laptop. (32bit version)

Has nothing at all to do with ram or even overall gaming performance aside from slightly better loading time. And by slightly I mean 1 second better if it was heavily fragmented.

CCleaner and Defrag has to do with hdd. Complaints in this topic relate to modding issues... and then derailed with lack of ram related issue.

Since the tone of your post is a bit self righteous let me help you out.

The majority of the people with these issues cant do simple things like defrag a drive or clean your caches. Maybe if people learned the proper way to take care of their 1000 plus systems they can maybe get full use out of them.

And this is coming from someone running 8 gigs of Ram on an i3 yet was able to create and fully play his own mod with no issues. There are ways to maximize your PC's performance. Learn them.

The majority of the people with these issues cant do simple things like defrag a drive or clean your caches. Maybe if people learned the proper way to take care of their 1000 plus systems they can maybe get full use out of them.

And this is coming from someone running 8 gigs of Ram on an i3 yet was able to create and fully play his own mod with no issues. There are ways to maximize your PC's performance. Learn them.

And to add to this, I made and played my mod on a 2011 laptop (i7-2820QM, 8GB RAM, Radeon 6650M) that could only JUST run the game at 720p with everything on low.

It really matters how you look after your gear. :)

Like I writed >>> " I play with mod or not, it's the same! I play many other game in single/multi who are more beautifull/powerfull than 7DTD, I nerver need to quit the game to refresh memory during +4h playing! "

About all around PC in general, I'm not a pro at 200% certaintly but I'm not a noob too, cause it's my work to repair/sell/administer PC's hardware/software & lan/server ect...

Anyway my PC with 8gb only don't have any problem! I play nearly +70% of all FPS's game since the last 3 years at least, screen size 1920x1080, no lag fps, no need reboot, no pb memory, no pb gpu/cpu, never need to quit the game to refresh the PC/memory, I can stream & record in the same time for 1h-4h without any pb, card video is setting to max quality & in game video setting too, nothing special is run in backroom ect...

So why not with 7DTD?!

So what I really wanted to say, it's time to TFP to stop be obstinate & must think to really work about the optimization of this game!

Cause it's like that since a10.3 & so since 2 years minimum where there's not really good optimization & because I do not see too much interest to add things if it is to slow down the optimization of the game even more...

& I do not say that by malice, If was me that will be what I will do for every one who can play this game with good optimization for both the game version and the server version!

& about people who buy your game, you are maybe in the top but that will no mean people are happy & mostly who continue to play it!

There's +/-3000 servers in the world of 7DTD & +50% minimum of this have 0 players online all times...

I remember when I started with a10.3 it was the opposite, +60% had +/-8 players all times...

In last december, I was playing on a french private server (very hight performance) with a god bot & good mod for a good gameplay, 24h/24h there was 40/40 players, & then 3 month later now the max players it was only +/-10 because no optimization

& I reapeat, I do not say that by malice...

& last thing, you have forgotten, most of people don't have a pc gamer very high range...

& the game is in alpha stage of development, true, but there's other many type of game who are in alpha stage too who are optimized!

For this time, I'm quiet, I just said what I think well cause I follow this game since a10.3 & so TFP need change the perception of things...

& the game is in alpha stage of development, true, but there's other many type of game who are in alpha stage too who are optimized!

Can you name 1 early access game that is voxel based (fully destructible world) and has as much content or more and looks as good as this or better?

The answer you can't because they don't exist yet. The only other game that I can think of that comes close to 7d2d is Rising World. Unfortunately, Rising World doesn't have nearly as much content yet, not even half as much.

By the time this game is finished being developed and optimized, the 9th gen Intel CPUs and 2nd and 3rd gen AMD Ryzen CPUs will have already been released, more superior graphics cards will have been released and the average gamer will already have at least 16GB of ram. In other words, by the time this game is finished, hardware won't be much of a problem.

Can you name 1 early access game that is voxel based (fully destructible world) and has as much content or more and looks as good as this or better?

Hum... I talk about optimization, not about a fully destructible world & a much content & even if 7DTD wasn't both, what would be your excuse to don't optimized it? That take so time, it's hard to do it, it's expensive, no enought worker ect..., I can understand & respect that, but if not that, why?!

If you set a timer to a bomb, will you set enought time to escape? Just to complete the mission at 200% even if that must kill you? Enought time for both?

Will you drive a car who is very powerfull even if you don't know to control 200% the power of this car?

I'm sure you will choose to kill yourself & to drive even if you will have a accident...

Anyway, I said all what I said about the main thread, so I will not answer anymore cause you don't want to admit the truth...

It's not only my thinks myself, many other of peoples think like me every where on the net outside of this forum...

Hum... I talk about optimization, not about a fully destructible world & a much content & even if 7DTD wasn't both, what would be your excuse to don't optimized it? That take so time, it's hard to do it, it's expensive, no enought worker ect..., I can understand & respect that, but if not that, why?!

If you set a timer to a bomb, will you set enought time to escape? Just to complete the mission at 200% even if that must kill you? Enought time for both?

Will you drive a car who is very powerfull even if you don't know to control 200% the power of this car?

I'm sure you will choose to kill yourself & to drive even if you will have a accident...

Anyway, I said all what I said about the main thread, so I will not answer anymore cause you don't want to admit the truth...

It's not only my thinks myself, many other of peoples think like me every where on the net outside of this forum...

Fox brought all that up because being able to destroy ANYTHING requires a lot of RAM and CPU. That's why he want's an example of another early access game that can do the same thing, with all the content the game currently has.

And yes, this game totally needs optimization. The shadows are TERRIBLE for performance. But waiting until beta is the right decision.

Archived