Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

V1.8.1b - Bug squishes and adjustments update! It's live, it's on GitHub, it's ready to go!

• Mastery book price increased.
  • Skill notes added to the rarebook loot group so they can be found (occasionally)
  • Rare book probabilities altered to be less common (class-specific stuff and some titanium stuff)
  • Ink added to the night stand loot table.
  • Welding Torch and Caliper prices reduced.
  • Books that give +1 to a specific skill now give +2 instead (cost to make is unchanged).
  • Scrap Machete added. Slightly better than the bone shiv, worse than the Hunting Knife (unlocked via scrap tools perk)
  • Steel Wrench added. (unlocked via mechanic mastery)
  • Fixed an issue with the Big Forge.
  • A little bit of a content creator appreciation item has been added. It's a book. You'll know it when you see it.

Works fine on 1.8.1 saves, because I tested it, so no restart needed! :)

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

Can you tell me, what I need to craft iron fireaxe?

I have found working workbench and wrench. I did put wrench in the workbench tool space, have 20 forge iron and 10 wood, and still i got information that I need wrench. There is also grey skill icon on fireaxe, but I cant find fireaxe skill. What are requirements for crafting iron fireaxe?

Another question. I am playing with my friends on private server. The game is working pretty smoth for me (I am the server), but friend of mine is falling down between textures ones a day. This can happened because of my lack of ram or his?

I really like your mode. Its a lot of to do. Glowing hord of dogs stays in memory, but I have killed them all:)

Fireaxe should tell you where it needs to be made in the description, but make sure you have bought the Iron Tool perk to craft it. :)

Server issue sounds like it's just a lag issue. It happens even on dedicated servers on vanilla.

No idea because I don't use Linux as a gaming machine.

Works fine on my linux server though.

EDIT: Thinking about it, make sure you have the UMA's because I did change them from 1.7.5 to 1.8. I decreased the size so it uses less RAM, performs better and runs better. If you don't have those from the zip file, it'll decide to generate them at boot up and that takes AGES, which causes the hanging you described.

Before I start I just want to preface this by saying I love this Mod. Since I 1st tried it about 2 months ago I have not been able to go back and play any other mods.

The reason for this post is I think you broke the game with the RWG mix update last week, unless something is wrong on my end when I go to create a new game. I have started about 5+ different games using different seed names and the results are all similar.

In the Towns there will be cluster of pass n gas, used car lots and a working stiff. Another part of the town will have residential building including apartment blocks. Between these part 20-50% of the towns are empty streets with no buildings at all. All the 2-3 story generic shops with the residence above are gone, all the broken down building parts are gone. Most of the new POI's that were introduced in 1.8 have now gone missing from the mix.

The issue with the towns is annoying but what breaks the game is that there are no army camps spawing at all, not the sand bag ringed ones of the little 2 tent camps. This means no keycards and no skill notes for the future tech.

When you have some time can you check what the RWG is producing and see if you are getting similar results.

Fireaxe should tell you where it needs to be made in the description, but make sure you have bought the Iron Tool perk to craft it. :)

Server issue sounds like it's just a lag issue. It happens even on dedicated servers on vanilla.

Ohh so there is Iron Tool perk! I was searching for smt like this, but so many things was happening around, that I must have missed it. I am pretty sure that there is lack of information about that in the description of iron fireaxe tool, although I will check this next time while playing;)

The thing is, that on vanila - since 16.4 - the same player never falls between textures. So I would assume that it is not just lag issue. Maybe game with mode have more informations per second to send, and because of that he is falling down? He also mentioned that sometimes he is not able to open chests/doors/nests/ect. but after reconnecting its ok for a time beeing.

Edited by Amanitasec (see edit history)

Before I start I just want to preface this by saying I love this Mod. Since I 1st tried it about 2 months ago I have not been able to go back and play any other mods.

The reason for this post is I think you broke the game with the RWG mix update last week, unless something is wrong on my end when I go to create a new game. I have started about 5+ different games using different seed names and the results are all similar.

In the Towns there will be cluster of pass n gas, used car lots and a working stiff. Another part of the town will have residential building including apartment blocks. Between these part 20-50% of the towns are empty streets with no buildings at all. All the 2-3 story generic shops with the residence above are gone, all the broken down building parts are gone. Most of the new POI's that were introduced in 1.8 have now gone missing from the mix.

The issue with the towns is annoying but what breaks the game is that there are no army camps spawing at all, not the sand bag ringed ones of the little 2 tent camps. This means no keycards and no skill notes for the future tech.

When you have some time can you check what the RWG is producing and see if you are getting similar results.

Testing it again now. Spawned on the edge of a small city with a few blank areas, and there's a military camp just off the main road leading into it.

My save that I use while streaming spawned me in the middle of THREE cities with loads of shops nearby, 2 of which were the huge crack-a-book POI's. So it's definitely working. I'll get that seed name for you to try when I hop on that PC, because I want to see if it's an rwgmixer issue or something isnt installed right. :)

EDIT: Seed is DF181Test.

Ohh so there is Iron Tool perk! I was searching for smt like this, but so many things was happening around, that I must have missed it. I am pretty sure that there is lack of information about that in the description of iron fireaxe tool, although I will check this next time while playing;)

The thing is, that on vanila - since 16.4 - the same player never falls between textures. So I would assume that it is not just lag issue. Maybe game with mode have more informations per second to send, and because of that he is falling down? He also mentioned that sometimes he is not able to open chests/doors/nests/ect. but after reconnecting its ok for a time beeing.

Definitely check the fireaxe. If info is missing, that's my bad and I'll fix it. :)

Honestly not sure on the falling issue. Me and the wife used to have it a LOT on 16.4 vanilla just playing via LAN. We still have no idea why since we both have pretty good PC's, but I used to get the "cant open/loot" error as well. Disconnecting and reconnecting always fixed it. Get him to have a look in the console next time it happens because there's likely a red text error sitting there.

No idea because I don't use Linux as a gaming machine.

Works fine on my linux server though.

EDIT: Thinking about it, make sure you have the UMA's because I did change them from 1.7.5 to 1.8. I decreased the size so it uses less RAM, performs better and runs better. If you don't have those from the zip file, it'll decide to generate them at boot up and that takes AGES, which causes the hanging you described.

Ok, so I let it run for a 2 hours. Also checked open files of the runtime (Resources/unity default resources und 7DaysToDie_Data/resources.assets) and used strace only to discover that it isn't doing anything serious.

Are you talking about the png-files in Data/UMATextures? Would they be generated in a cache-file or in UMATextures?

My linux server works too by the way, so it definitely is only a problem of the client.

By the way, your instructions are a little outdated on the first page: "Download the zip file at the link above. Unzip the Data and Mods folder to your 7 Days to Die folder and overwrite when prompted. The mod is entirely XML based and extra icons." should probably be something like "Download and unzip the zip file at the link above. Copy everything to your 7 Days to Die folder and overwrite when prompted."

I COMPLETELY forgot about the manual install instructions. Thank you for telling me, I shall update those later. :) <-- Done!

And yes, I'm talking about the PNG files in UMATextures. If you don't copy those over from the zip file (or if you delete the folder), the game will hang and either refuse to respond or take AGES to build. It takes about 30mins and uses all of my RAM to generate the textures if I delete the contents of the folder, but that's on windows.

And yes, I'm talking about the PNG files in UMATextures. If you don't copy those over from the zip file (or if you delete the folder), the game will hang and either refuse to respond or take AGES to build. It takes about 30mins and uses all of my RAM to generate the textures if I delete the contents of the folder, but that's on windows.

The files are copied over, and RAM usage is constantly low at 5G. And even if I delete the png files they are not regenerated, the dir stays empty. So either it really hangs because of some other discrepancy in UMA (maybe because of windows/linux filesystem differences) or UMA is not the culprit.

I'm out of ideas for the moment and will stay with 1.7.5 for the moment. My only hope is that A17 is so much different that this bug magically disappears when you have adapted the mod to it in a few months.

Huh. That's a very strange bug.

So for whatever reason, it isn't liking the 1k UMA textures, but the 2k ones are fine.

When I'm a bit more awake, fancy trying something out? I can regenerate the full, 4k textures on here, resize to 2k, zip it up and chuck it on google drive for you to see if that fixes the issue (they'd be the same as 1.7.5 in that instance).

EDIT: Actually if you still have 1.7.5, try replacing the 1.8 UMA folder with that one.

Huh. That's a very strange bug.

So for whatever reason, it isn't liking the 1k UMA textures, but the 2k ones are fine.

When I'm a bit more awake, fancy trying something out? I can regenerate the full, 4k textures on here, resize to 2k, zip it up and chuck it on google drive for you to see if that fixes the issue (they'd be the same as 1.7.5 in that instance).

EDIT: Actually if you still have 1.7.5, try replacing the 1.8 UMA folder with that one.

Oh, I did that already (i.e. the replacing with 175 textures) and it didn't work. But I expected that as 1.7.5 has fewer png files in UMATextures than 1.8.1b. Should they work regardless? If not, I would be happy to try out the 2k textures.

Something for folks saying their cities are huge and blank (like 3 or 4 POI's and that's it).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vYTfDbdJcmAj31szuyUq6cAtOfXw6Ky0

RWGMixer with HOPEFULLY the "blank" bits removed. Give it a try and let me know how it goes. If you still have issues, pass over seed names so I can play around and see if I can sort it out. :)

Done, finally. Apparently my wifi is being terrible for speed today.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CpENRzYeRuhUG91a4qYHgLnQNNO6USUx

I hope that helps. :)

I think when I get the mSATA drive for this laptop, I'll look into using the old SSD for Linux. Then I can test this stuff easily.

We can safely rule out the 1k textures as the culprit. No change even with the 2k textures.

Thanks for the try though.