A16 - STARVATION Mod for A16

Mortelentus

I love the idea that now you can make jar of honey and eventually mass produce apple pies. Got a few questions about the new beehive though:

1. The queen is supposed to be found in the wild. Now does this mean I have to search unexplored territory to find her? I rode my bike for several hours and could not find a wild beehive.

2. Can you be more specific about finding the queen in dead trees. Does this mean tree trunks or those burnt out trees? Or what kind of trees are you talking about?

3. Will farmer NPCs be able to harvest these beehives for you?

4. Do player-planted flowers count or only those found in the wild (ex, created/placed by rng). What about flowers that were planted on fertilized soil?

5. What counts as flowers? Goldenrod was obvious since it was in the video but what about other types?

Since I'm already here, there are some other questions I have an animals:

1. I found goats but what is the purpose of them? Can you milk them? Or are they only for meat? I only a male/female pair so I don't want to experiment and accidently kill the female.

2. Is there a limit on number of cows and cows spawning in the wild? Ever since I started breeding cows (1 male and the rest females) I have not seen a cow/bull in the wild.

3. Is there a limit on number of cows in one area? With a male/female pair will they just breed on indifinitely or is there a limit?

4. Would be nice to show the hitpoints on the animals so we don't accidently kill them while harvesting them.

Thanks.

Bees:

1. They will spawn in hollow trunks for now. Rare.

3. No

4. They need to be planted.

5. As specified in wiki, golden rod and chys... something:)

Animals:

1. Right now, they serve as pets that you can control like dogs. Maybe more in the future.

2. They should count as animals, sَ yes.

Do I need to play RandomGen to get the full benefits of Starvation?

Can I play Navezgane map? I noticed a NPC bandit in randomgen, but I have yet to see one in Navez.

Even though, everything else seems to work (rad-zones, wildlife, new ore types).

You will need the random gen map for certain POIs that Starvation adds like the nuclear plant and bandit churches, for example. I don't believe they are currently set to spawn in Navezgane, but most Starvation features should still work.

I love the idea that now you can make jar of honey and eventually mass produce apple pies. Got a few questions about the new beehive though:

1. The queen is supposed to be found in the wild. Now does this mean I have to search unexplored territory to find her? I rode my bike for several hours and could not find a wild beehive.

2. Can you be more specific about finding the queen in dead trees. Does this mean tree trunks or those burnt out trees? Or what kind of trees are you talking about?

3. Will farmer NPCs be able to harvest these beehives for you?

4. Do player-planted flowers count or only those found in the wild (ex, created/placed by rng). What about flowers that were planted on fertilized soil?

5. What counts as flowers? Goldenrod was obvious since it was in the video but what about other types?

Since I'm already here, there are some other questions I have an animals:

1. I found goats but what is the purpose of them? Can you milk them? Or are they only for meat? I only a male/female pair so I don't want to experiment and accidently kill the female.

2. Is there a limit on number of cows and cows spawning in the wild? Ever since I started breeding cows (1 male and the rest females) I have not seen a cow/bull in the wild.

3. Is there a limit on number of cows in one area? With a male/female pair will they just breed on indifinitely or is there a limit?

4. Would be nice to show the hitpoints on the animals so we don't accidently kill them while harvesting them.

Thanks.

1. The bee swarm with the possibility of a queen will show up in chunks and regions that are already open. You do not have to open new chunks or start a fresh world

2. Right now you should just check stumps, as we add more to bees they will be found in other places under other circumstances but stumps were our starting point.

3. At this point there is no beekeeper NPC and so beekeeping must be done by a player. Given that hive will have to always be near flowers (and later other sources of food) it would not be possible to combine with an Farmer who needs to be near there crops and would harvest the flower the bees need. As to whether an beekeeper NPC will be added at some later time depends on the fun factor for that one.

4. & 5. You can plant the flowers - goldenrod in particular I don't know if chrysanthemum has been implemented for bees yet. Other flowering plants and trees that can be used are coming. The fertilize would have no effect on the bees - just on how fast the flowers would grow to promote a healthy hive. You do not want to harvest the flowers near the hive as bees will leave the hive and go back to the wild to search out a better place to live near food if their food source goes away.

1. Goats are just goats at the moment - more coming on Goats. Foods and nutrition are being reworked and added too and many animals not used as food sources will become so. This is an ongoing project. Hopefully we will even see some type of herder NPC.

2. More to come on cows in wild and herding and domesticating them - see #1

3. No limit at this point that I know of but plans to that effect will change perhaps

4. Not sure if that is possible to make them display this but will add it to a list to look into

Do I need to play RandomGen to get the full benefits of Starvation?

Can I play Navezgane map? I noticed a NPC bandit in randomgen, but I have yet to see one in Navez.

Even though, everything else seems to work (rad-zones, wildlife, new ore types).

To get all the benefits of Starvation you will need to play on a Random Gen map. There are POI's and biomes and some NPCS as well as special loot that cannot be loaded on the Navezgame map. You probably are missing more then you realize as there is some wildlife that would spawn although terrain blocks would. Most custom quests probably would not work on the Navezgane map and that would be the same with auto quests when they are back on

You will need the random gen map for certain POIs that Starvation adds like the nuclear plant and bandit churches, for example. I don't believe they are currently set to spawn in Navezgane, but most Starvation features should still work.

To get all the benefits of Starvation you will need to play on a Random Gen map. There are POI's and biomes and some NPCS as well as special loot that cannot be loaded on the Navezgame map. You probably are missing more then you realize as there is some wildlife that would spawn although terrain blocks would. Most custom quests probably would not work on the Navezgane map and that would be the same with auto quests when they are back on

Thanks.

Another war story for you Morte...

So after finding the bandit clunky oil factory out in the wilderness all I gotta say is... DAMN that PSG1 bandit is brutal!

Went in with full health (159) and Q400+ iron armour and a mining helmet... and thought alright, I got about 60% pierce protection so I should be alright... I was wrong. Very very very wrong.

Got close to the wall of the factory, and saw one running at me with a pistol. OK no prob, made a hole in the wall and shot him a few times with the crossbow. One bandit down. Moved in and there were 4 bandits inside the main section of the POI. Most wielding more pistols. No problem, one guy got some hits on me, but the armour seemed to be protecting me well. Killed them all. Doing well so far! Looted their bodies to find... No guns or ammo. Dammit. I wanted that ammo they seem to have endless supply of... :p

Moved up a level and there were some behind the doors. Got those guys too. Think I found a boss type one, he had a big machine gun (wasn't an AK or SMG but looked like a custom model one) but he took time reloading so I managed to kill him easily with the nailed bat. Good stuff. Inner POI cleared.

I heard 2 more bandits outside and they were the last 2. So I move outside looking on the ground, can't see where they're at... *BOOM!* goes a PSG1 and a round just misses. 150 health still remains, so doing all good. I think 'sure, I may survive 2 or 3 hits from this, I can kill them if only I can see them...' *BOOM!* goes a second round, missing again. Still can't see where the bugger is firing from.

*BOOM!* followed by instant death from 150HP and full armour.

DAMN that PSG1 bandit is brutal!

Went back to try retrieving my stuff. No armour this time, I thought maybe I could get past the last one if I came in and just made a run for it.

*BOOM!* followed by another instant death from 149HP and no armour. Well, the instant death was expected this time, I suppose :p But I guess I was hoping they'd not aimbot me... but they aimbot me :D

I still didn't find where they were until I went in creative mode to fly and just see (I have vision issues in real life so thought I should give myself at least a shot at seeing them) and found them up the top of the trussing tower, one stood on another's head. No wonder they could get me from anywhere... No idea how they got up there though. Didn't see a ladder so can only assume they spawned up there.

So... I know the answer is 'Don't get shot' but... How the hell can I get that PSG1 bandit when they got such high damage output and near perfect aim? Does any sort of armour protect against a PSG1 instakill? I probably could avoid them if I could see where they were and take them out but unfortunately that's not an option for me... So I thought with the armour I had I could sustain at least 1 shot maybe 2 before being badly hurt. I guess they got a headshot on me being higher up? I think all the other bandits are done just right but that PSG1 dude is something else :p The -20 wellness is gonna sting for a while...

Eh, I suppose it could just be my net. It's just irritating nonetheless. Oh, that DOES remind me of a legitimate bug... Can you work on how the M2 / Mounted guns work? There's a bug with them where you can 'dupe' the MG by crolling mousewheel with other items on your hotbar. The item in question is deleted, and replaced by a second MG that can be re-equipped and exited to form a new turret.

(Also sorry if it's a bit odd to ask.. .but is there a legitimate "radiation biome" or just the edge of the map serving as no man's land? I've not seen a trace of the rad biome anywhere...)

If you are using the Random Gen map and did not install some prefab pack or other mod then you would have a legitimate 'Rad Zone' in your world. Its part of the mod.

Your net problem has had some sporadic reports but associated with vanilla game and other mods - we have not heard of a Starvation player complain of it but since its happens in vanilla it is therefore an underlying issue and had to happen sooner or later. The issue seems to be due to IPV6 which some ISP's are converting to only using and no longer allowing IPV4 network connections. This posses a problem for 7DTD and any Unity game in general because they were primarily written to use IPV4 and while they allow and handle IPV6 - apparently it is not done well. Until many games re code to update for IPV6 and the sockets issue Linux in particular with have issues - even to the point where it will not connect at all and same with OSX. Windows randomly handles and fails on it so you can have times were you have issues and other times when the PC will just handle and/or ignore the issue. In the vanilla cases for 7DTD (and for server other games with thsi problem) people checked with tehir ISP to find out they were now fully on IPV6 and the ISP was no longer offering IPV4 - or only offering it to people that paid for a package to allow them to host a server and because a server would require IPV4 they get that as part of the package. Some people resolved it by getting the package that offered them IPV4 again - others whose ISP was no longer offering IPV4 have moved to other ISP.s You might want to check with yours and see if IPV6 is your issue. You can also check event logs for network sockets errors that would help you point to IPV6 as the issue.

We are aware of duping issues... some are caused by underlying issues in vanilla and there is nothing we can do about them. Some are caused by people using other mods that conflict with Starvation and, yes some are Starvation issues and we are working on those.

Another war story for you Morte...

So after finding the bandit clunky oil factory out in the wilderness all I gotta say is... DAMN that PSG1 bandit is brutal!

Went in with full health (159) and Q400+ iron armour and a mining helmet... and thought alright, I got about 60% pierce protection so I should be alright... I was wrong. Very very very wrong.

Got close to the wall of the factory, and saw one running at me with a pistol. OK no prob, made a hole in the wall and shot him a few times with the crossbow. One bandit down. Moved in and there were 4 bandits inside the main section of the POI. Most wielding more pistols. No problem, one guy got some hits on me, but the armour seemed to be protecting me well. Killed them all. Doing well so far! Looted their bodies to find... No guns or ammo. Dammit. I wanted that ammo they seem to have endless supply of... :p

Moved up a level and there were some behind the doors. Got those guys too. Think I found a boss type one, he had a big machine gun (wasn't an AK or SMG but looked like a custom model one) but he took time reloading so I managed to kill him easily with the nailed bat. Good stuff. Inner POI cleared.

I heard 2 more bandits outside and they were the last 2. So I move outside looking on the ground, can't see where they're at... *BOOM!* goes a PSG1 and a round just misses. 150 health still remains, so doing all good. I think 'sure, I may survive 2 or 3 hits from this, I can kill them if only I can see them...' *BOOM!* goes a second round, missing again. Still can't see where the bugger is firing from.

*BOOM!* followed by instant death from 150HP and full armour.

Went back to try retrieving my stuff. No armour this time, I thought maybe I could get past the last one if I came in and just made a run for it.

*BOOM!* followed by another instant death from 149HP and no armour. Well, the instant death was expected this time, I suppose :p But I guess I was hoping they'd not aimbot me... but they aimbot me :D

I still didn't find where they were until I went in creative mode to fly and just see (I have vision issues in real life so thought I should give myself at least a shot at seeing them) and found them up the top of the trussing tower, one stood on another's head. No wonder they could get me from anywhere... No idea how they got up there though. Didn't see a ladder so can only assume they spawned up there.

So... I know the answer is 'Don't get shot' but... How the hell can I get that PSG1 bandit when they got such high damage output and near perfect aim? Does any sort of armour protect against a PSG1 instakill? I probably could avoid them if I could see where they were and take them out but unfortunately that's not an option for me... So I thought with the armour I had I could sustain at least 1 shot maybe 2 before being badly hurt. I guess they got a headshot on me being higher up? I think all the other bandits are done just right but that PSG1 dude is something else :p The -20 wellness is gonna sting for a while...

lol yea pretty unfair on that i think. especially anyone with PSG1 should have low accuracy shot if we're constantly moving.

PSG1 have a bonus 9x damage to the head if i'm not mistaken. and if difficulties level is above 3, they have god-like aim as well if i'm not mistaken.

Hello Guys.

Ive started my first Starvation Game, rly enjoying it so far.

But.. i miss some things...

So, i see there are, since i first installed Starvation 3 weeks ago, a few patches/updates, but i disabled autoupdate for the moment because on the first day i installed some mods, like bigger backpack for starvation etc, did some xml changes etc etc.

Is there any way you guys see how i could use some mods and having autoupdate enabled without the need to apply changes again on every starvation update?

What i changed at the moment are bigger backpack and some "vanilla" changes from ZNATIONFFS-Mods like the "no recoil auger" and other tweaks.

Thanks for any tipps

Which files did I need for the server? I copied those directories from the startpostfile (github) but somehow the server won't start...

do I need all files or all directories to be copied?

If you are going to run a full server (not just play an MP game from your client you first need to download the vanilla server files from the Tools directory in Steam and set up a 7DTD vanilla server and configure it (the startdedicated,bat if needed and the serverconfig.xml files) so that it has the correct IP and port settings and is configure the settings to run the way you want it too. I would start it up and make sure it runs first. the server files we offer you get copied in over a vanilla server set up and do not include the files that run teh server. If your server is not 'running' then either you never installed the vanilla server or did not install it correctly.

Once you have a vanilla server that starts up and loads and you can connect to then you can stop it and install Starvation. If the vanilla server will not run then you need to go to the main forums and get help on setting up a server there - we can't support vanilla server set up here

Once you have a working vanilla server you will need to go to the link for the Starvation server files and on the right hand side in github there is an option to download, pick to download a .zip file. this will zip up the files you need for the server. Download that zip file and upload it to your server. Unzip the file to a folder and inside the directory you will find the Mod and Data folders and the 7DaysToDieServer_Data directory. Copy those into teh root of your server game directory and have it overwrite the files by the same name that are already there - if it does not ask you to overwrite you are probably copying it or unarchiving it it somewhere other then the root.

These are the files from the files from the .zip that you want to copy as shown here: https://gyazo.com/a565d7edbc193bdbc1d0fcf4ab036cc2

and you want to copy them in to and over the vanilla server files as shown here: https://gyazo.com/064d199d7c826f293ca271740d2ec9ca

Once you have copied the Starvation Mod server files in over the vanilla ones go back to your server config file and change the game name to force the game to regenerate the world using Starvation or go to your Saves directory and delete the saved file that was created when you tested the vanilla server - it has the same name as the game name set in the config file - either will force a generation of a new world. Loading Starvation will take longer then loading 7DTD vanilla so be patient - and it will be even longer the first time as it has to pregenerate the world. It will load much faster in the future but never as fast as vanilla as it has so many more assets to load. If you have a working log viewer set up for your server you can watch the load progress.

On a new server with no world currently built if the server will not load the issue is likely a vanilla server problem - the server was not built out correctly and you need to address that first. that is why you always make sure vanilla server loads and runs first. If you are installing the mod over a server with and existing world and it will not start its probably an issue with the world and its not compatible with Starvation or you have other mods installed on that server that are causing issues. I would try to watch the load sequence via a real time log viewer to see what is failing to make troubleshooting easier and determine if it is a vanilla issue or a problem with the world. Its suggested that when installing Starvation you do it on a freshly installed vanilla server without other mods installed (except Alloc's server fixes and Coppi's server files both of which are compatible with Starvation - pretty much nothing else is without a great deal of editing)

Hello Guys.

Ive started my first Starvation Game, rly enjoying it so far.

But.. i miss some things...

So, i see there are, since i first installed Starvation 3 weeks ago, a few patches/updates, but i disabled autoupdate for the moment because on the first day i installed some mods, like bigger backpack for starvation etc, did some xml changes etc etc.

Is there any way you guys see how i could use some mods and having autoupdate enabled without the need to apply changes again on every starvation update?

What i changed at the moment are bigger backpack and some "vanilla" changes from ZNATIONFFS-Mods like the "no recoil auger" and other tweaks.

Thanks for any tipps

At this time the majority of mods, except Alloc and Coppi are incompatible with Starvation and if you install them over Starvation without a great deal of editing and often access to source you will break Starvation or be missing parts of it. The Backpack mod has not been updated ofr Starvation and according to Sirillions latest post will not be updated after his last update which was for 16.0.0.30.. He did update to remove some HUD change she mad since have now added a custom HUD but the mod is still breaking Starvation.

There are so many mods out there that touch the same files that Starvation edits and changes and we could never have the time to incorporate them into Starvation and would actually not want to as many do things we don't want Starvation doing. Starvation is a true overhaul mod so we touch almost all parts of the game and Starvation is also a heavy resource users and dumping in other mods would just increase that. Unless someone writes a program that would read all the mods you were interested in combining and could decided which code to use, which to discard, which to combine and what would be compatible and what would not and could juggle and balance the different mods there would be no way to give you what you ask for.

Please remember that we have said from the beginning that we don not support Starvation in use with other mods since its not compatible with other mods and we cannot troubleshoot, fix or make Starvation compatible with other mods. many of the things you want are coming for Starvation, as we have our own backpack solution on the road-map, one just needs to be patient until we get there. There are no "mods for starvation although some mods use the name "starvation". In most cases to be fully compatible the modder would need access to our source code and that is not always possible.

Hi,

I have had major problems since the update (Linux server)

Important console commands don't work any more, the WebMap doesn't work, only a white blank page appears.

2018-01-15T11:59:45 1040.076 INF Executing command 'le' by Telnet from 127.0.0.1:52312

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

*** ERROR: Executing command 'le' failed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

2018-01-15T11:59:50 1045.077 INF Executing command 'lp' by Telnet from 127.0.0.1:52304

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

:upset:

Please remember that we have said from the beginning that we don not support Starvation in use with other mods since its not compatible with other mods and we cannot troubleshoot, fix or make Starvation compatible with other mods. many of the things you want are coming for Starvation, as we have our own backpack solution on the road-map, one just needs to be patient until we get there. There are no "mods for starvation although some mods use the name "starvation". In most cases to be fully compatible the modder would need access to our source code and that is not always possible.

Thanks for your answer.

Iam not a hardcore modder so iam pleased with small things, if i know there will come a bigger backpack thats great news,

is there any ETA we could expect that?

small things like a fast XML fix to remove that annoying auger recoil are fine for me to do manual. ;)

lol yea pretty unfair on that i think. especially anyone with PSG1 should have low accuracy shot if we're constantly moving.

PSG1 have a bonus 9x damage to the head if i'm not mistaken. and if difficulties level is above 3, they have god-like aim as well if i'm not mistaken.

I think the rest of the bandits are just fine as they are - none of the others have instakilled me ever, even with no or low armour and aimbot. I thin the AK guy 5 shot me from 120HP when I first died to bandits, the magnum guy probably does more damage than that, but I think good armour can mitigate most of it. I was just lucky I'd only taken some tools with me to breach into the POI.

I think where my main issue comes in is I don't mind getting shot, but I'm thinking even 500+ steel armour isn't going to mitigate the damage enough to not get instakilled, even if you got a steel helmet on which may get pierced but hopefully stop the damage being fatal.

So I was thinking either have a special PSG1 for the bandits that does less overall damage and headshot damage, but then I had an idea... what if the helmet type items gave you a headshot protection buff? I know full radiation suits gives you a buff so this is surely possible. They could possibly go in this order (for quality 600 items)

- X-rad hood: 3% reduction

- Hazmat hood / Gas mask: 5% reduction

- Mining helmet: 20% reduction

- Football helmet: 30% reduction

- Team Z helmet: 35% reduction

- Iron helmet: 50% reduction

- Exo-helm (unpowered): 55% reduction

- SWAT helmet: 60% reduction

- Bandit gas mask: 65% reduction

- Military helmet: 75% reduction

- Steel helmet: 90% reduction

- Exo-helm (powered): 95% reduction

- Exo-helm (powered with rez gland): 99% reduction

This would give encouragement to craft the steel helmet as well even if you have a mining helmet, or keep better helmets as you find them. Currently there's no real incentive to use any other type of helmet other than a mining helmet and hazmat hood for the rad zone, so this could change that quite a lot! :D

Hi,

I have had major problems since the update (Linux server)

Important console commands don't work any more, the WebMap doesn't work, only a white blank page appears.

:upset:

Okay. Problem solved.

it's still that BUG!

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?75797-WIP-STARVATION-Mod-for-A16&p=752646&viewfull=1#post752646

Please repair @Devs!

Thanks for your answer.

Iam not a hardcore modder so iam pleased with small things, if i know there will come a bigger backpack thats great news,

is there any ETA we could expect that?

small things like a fast XML fix to remove that annoying auger recoil are fine for me to do manual. ;)

We don't have an ETA as what and how we want to do it still needs some investigation and a a lot of testing. Actually, scripting the XML change if you want it the same each time and having the script run as a .bat or .cmd following and update would be the best method

I think the rest of the bandits are just fine as they are - none of the others have instakilled me ever, even with no or low armour and aimbot. I thin the AK guy 5 shot me from 120HP when I first died to bandits, the magnum guy probably does more damage than that, but I think good armour can mitigate most of it. I was just lucky I'd only taken some tools with me to breach into the POI.

I think where my main issue comes in is I don't mind getting shot, but I'm thinking even 500+ steel armour isn't going to mitigate the damage enough to not get instakilled, even if you got a steel helmet on which may get pierced but hopefully stop the damage being fatal.

So I was thinking either have a special PSG1 for the bandits that does less overall damage and headshot damage, but then I had an idea... what if the helmet type items gave you a headshot protection buff? I know full radiation suits gives you a buff so this is surely possible. They could possibly go in this order (for quality 600 items)

- X-rad hood: 3% reduction

- Hazmat hood / Gas mask: 5% reduction

- Mining helmet: 20% reduction

- Football helmet: 30% reduction

- Team Z helmet: 35% reduction

- Iron helmet: 50% reduction

- Exo-helm (unpowered): 55% reduction

- SWAT helmet: 60% reduction

- Bandit gas mask: 65% reduction

- Military helmet: 75% reduction

- Steel helmet: 90% reduction

- Exo-helm (powered): 95% reduction

- Exo-helm (powered with rez gland): 99% reduction

This would give encouragement to craft the steel helmet as well even if you have a mining helmet, or keep better helmets as you find them. Currently there's no real incentive to use any other type of helmet other than a mining helmet and hazmat hood for the rad zone, so this could change that quite a lot! :D

Good suggestion. I doubt we will mess with buffs much more as A17 has a complete rewrite of the buff system, so whatever new we add now will just be more work to rewrite in the A17 conversion. I think if the NPC PSG1 is over-powerered, we can just tune that weapon down a bit. I'm guessing hes carrying the "gunBanditSniperRifle", which has a headbonus of 9x rather than all the other NPC guns which has a head bonus of .5 , meaning it does 18x more damage to the head than other NPC guns. Probably an oversight on our part.

Edited by xyth (see edit history)

We don't have an ETA as what and how we want to do it still needs some investigation and a a lot of testing. Actually, scripting the XML change if you want it the same each time and having the script run as a .bat or .cmd following and update would be the best method

Why dont you want to implement a existing one? I mean there are working ones without causing any problems (on my experience)

Good suggestion. I doubt we will mess with buffs much more as A17 has a complete rewrite of the buff system, so whatever new we add now will just be more work to rewrite in the A17 conversion. I think if the NPC PSG1 is over-powerered, we can just tune that weapon down a bit. I'm guessing hes carrying the "gunBanditSniperRifle", which has a headbonus of 9x rather than all the other NPC guns which has a head bonus of .5 , meaning it does 18x more damage to the head than other NPC guns. Probably an oversight on our part.

anything that's help in preventing insta-killing us would still be a good deal to me xD