A16 - STARVATION Mod for A16

Mortelentus

It is what it is... It's made of scraped material, don't have high hopes to see it changed...

As for the rain, much depends on your biome and ... luck?

But you can take a look at biomes.xml and tweak to your liking... if you can.

It really looks out of place with the other models of things that go into the survivor's kitchen. I have to agree with the people say it is an eye sore.

It's not working on mine (SP game) and I just put it down today. It is in a dug out area covered with iron bars to keep zombies from breaking it.

It needs "open sky above". So no bars on top, at least for now.

- - - Updated - - -

It really looks out of place with the other models of things that go into the survivor's kitchen. I have to agree with the people say it is an eye sore.

2 good things about that texture:

1 - it's free

2- it's light

But you guys can always ask Xyth to get us all something interesting but, most importantly light :)

Edited by Mortelentus (see edit history)

Windows Dedicated Server Issues

Hey everyone, I'm hoping those of you who have successfully setup Starvation with a dedicated server can help. I'm running a server through Gameservers.com and can't get Starvation Mod to work. Did a complete wipe, downloaded the dedicated server files, etc. Process went like this:

1. Wipe server, 'clean' dedicated server install
  2. Installed Alloc's Fixes
  3. Uploaded dedicated server files. Note: Couldn't overwrite files in /7DaysToDieServer_Data/Managed/
  4. Setup new server config and admin configs
  5. Run server
  6. Crash!

Here's the Console log up until it chokes. Help!

2017-10-29T22:37:08 5.572 INF StartAsServer
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
 at NGuiWdwInGameHUD.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

2017-10-29T22:37:08 5.724 INF createWorld: Random Gen, PlayAtMoesStarvation, GameModeSurvivalMP

Exception: Block with name 'rock05' not found!
 at WorldBiomes.KH (System.String ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at WorldBiomes.NH (Byte , System.String , System.Xml.XmlElement , Boolean ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at WorldBiomes.NH (Byte , System.String , System.Xml.XmlElement , Boolean ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at WorldBiomes.AH (System.Xml.XmlDocument , Boolean ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at WorldBiomes..ctor (System.Xml.XmlDocument _genxml, Boolean _instantiateReferences) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at GameManager+BI.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Edited by demnogis
Spelling (see edit history)

Hey everyone, I'm hoping those of you who have successfully setup Starvation with a dedicated server can help. I'm running a server through Gameservers.com and can't get Starvation Mod to work. Did a complete wipe, downloaded the dedicated server files, etc. Process went like this:

1. Wipe server, 'clean' dedicated server install
  2. Installed Alloc's Fixes
  3. Uploaded dedicated server files. Note: Couldn't overwrite files in \7DaysToDieServer_Data\Managed\
  4. Setup new server config and admin configs
  5. Run server
  6. Crash!

Here's the Console log up until it chokes. Help!

2017-10-29T22:37:08 5.572 INF StartAsServer

2017-10-29T22:37:08 5.724 INF createWorld: Random Gen, PlayAtMoesStarvation, GameModeSurvivalMP

Exception: Block with name 'rock05' not found!
 at WorldBiomes.KH (System.String ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at WorldBiomes.AH (System.Xml.XmlDocument , Boolean ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at WorldBiomes..ctor (System.Xml.XmlDocument _genxml, Boolean _instantiateReferences) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at GameManager+BI.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

You NEED to get permissions to override the dlls... No way around that, sorry to say.

Awesome work with the mod so far guys! I got some potential bugs and also some requests! :D

Potential bug: Newbie farmer quest that asks you to fill a bucket with water auto-completes without the player having a full bucket in the inventory. When I checked the quest entry it also had no text or goals listed inside the quest description so maybe a reference error of some kind? I have been using the launcher and auto-updating so believe I have had this happen in the latest version.

Potential bug: Are hyenas meant to be so tiny now? I seem to remember them being a little taller than the grass in the plains biome, but now they seem REALLY tiny. Like SUPER small, and I can't even see them when they go in the grass. If this is intended, no problem, as I actually kinda like it making the plains even more deadly than before. Just thought I'd mention it, just in case. Had a HORRIBLE run-in with 2 of them yesterday on route to the traders... Why he had to set up right in the middle of the plains in amongst those tiny terrors is beyond me :p

Potential bug: Spider nests in the world show a green rad-spider inside it but produce brown spiders when approached. Maybe have 2 nest models that have a brown and green one, for each of the different spider types so at least we know what type of spider is living inside. You could also make the rad spider nests spawn in the wasteland biome too, just to add a little more danger to that biome, in place of regular spider nests. Currently I feel the wasteland is easier than the plains biome, which I think is the hardest outside of the rad-zones.

Potential bug: All Starvation animals seem to use old A15 mechanics, i.e. if you shoot an A16 vanilla bear from far away it may not find you immediately and run around looking for the source of the shot, but shoot a tiger from far away and it immediately knows where you are and GPS locks to you. Again not game-breaking, just something I noticed :)

Potential bug: Rad-bosses no longer puke green goo. Intended?

Potential bug: Bandits have superhuman aim and will not fail to headshot you, every time. Again not gamebreaking if you know where they are and where to avoid but can see it becoming frustrating for some.

Some (or actually a lot of) requests and ideas - I understand many of these are much work to do, but maybe things to consider, and throwing ideas around... I know some will also make the game harder which I also understand may not be the direction you guys want to go with this mod, as it already adds some nice challenge. Requests are what I feel would benefit the game as it currently stands, and ideas would be 'nice to have' type things or nice changes.

Idea: Shorten the time that bites last, but instead make their effects more diverse with faster drains.

- Snake bites cause you to lose stamina as they do now, but drain health faster, but less wellness drain.

- Spider bites cause hallucinations, your sanity drops quickly. They have less stamina drain than snake bites but more wellness drain.

- Scorpion stings cause a blurred vision for about a minute, then slowness for a short while.

Idea: When your sanity is below 10%, your wellness starts to drop, and your vision becomes a little clouded. Going insane should be more punishing than having a stamina drain and occasional weapon swings or fires. I love sanity in Starvation but find it's so easy to manage as soon as you find a picture or plant. Would also love some jump scare moments when sanity is low, make some gruesome things appear on screen with occasional loud sounds... That would also make the rad zone even more terrifying, knowing that after a short time in it, you're going to start seeing horrible things, what's real? Give some horror elements :D

Request: Less flies, but make the sanity drop from them more severe. I'd reduce the probability of getting flies to appear in junk just a bit. I find it funny but I know a lot of people don't like the flies too much. If it's rarer, it would make for better effect. Or, have a bug spray that you can spray on trash bags to make it safe to loot without getting them.

Request: Make more junk items scrap-able. Some items have nothing to scrap into so it's more for filler rather than anything else. Making some junk items usable too would be good, example is the butter knife could be a really bad melee weapon, the steel fork could be made into a fork knuckle like the other fork, or you could have different types of spears with different things on the end. A bone shiv spear, machete spear, forked spear, nailed spear... I love the idea of being able to use what you find in the world to fight with, and that would also mean you could limit the crafting of some better weapons including better clubs and knives until you get proper metalworking equipment like the lathe. Make it punishing, make us fight for our lives with kitchen utensils, or smack that stripper with the vibrator you found... could be super funny too!

Idea: Allow the player to throw meat to distract animals. Let's say you're being chased by a couple hyenas, do you try to fight them off, chug a beer and hope you can outrun them, or do you give up your last scraps of meat and risk starving slowly to death instead? Would be such a good thing to add more choice to the game. You could even do that to lure them in traps - put a couple mines down, chuck some meat nearby and hide. Animals come running to it, BOOM! Now he's easier to kill after being severely wounded by a mine explosion, and you can hunt it easier. As a consequence, you could increase the speed of some animals like bears, tigers and cougars for balance, so you can't hope to hunt them until you have some better firepower.

Idea: Allow barbed wire to only be crafted on the workbench or lathe, BUT also allow barbed wire fences in the world to be picked up and reusable so we can still get some if we scavenge tooth and nail for it. I am guilty of using it to escape animals and have it on my hotbar as soon as I get a bit of iron on day 1. It's also OP on horde nights even with the nerf, so might be better suited as a mid-game defense or to force you to find army bases with tougher zombies to get a few fences. This would also work in tandem with the previous idea, making throwing away my only food to save myself the only real means of outrunning fast animals early on. Punish me! :D

Request: More quests (no pun intended) to help new players to Starvation and getting to know the workbenches and new equipment that has been added. For example a quest to get the kitchen workbenches, the big anvil and forgestone quests to make the nail pistol and shotguns (using nail pistols in early game is hilariously amazeballs and awesome if you struggle to get arrows, as I do).

PS: I have played A15 quite extensively and so I know the progression quite well - so if you ever need a hand getting quest entries written, I'd be happy to write all the descriptions and goals for new quest ideas.

Idea: That fallen motorcycle I see around in some parts... Any chance you could... ya know... make it... DRIVEABLE? :D I'd love to be able to beast through the map end-game with my exosuit and a beast bike like that. I think it should be real endgame item, so maybe the only way to get that is to find a quest-giver somewhere in the deep rad zone, or to have an extremely rare motorcycle schematic drop from the rad-bosses.

Idea: In later gamestages, allow your boss zombies to spawn in buildings as sleepers, like in the rooms in the Higashi building would be super cool to see a rez boss and a couple of nasties in the tanks just waiting to suddenly burst out... A rez + parasite would be... actually let's not go there :p

Idea: Being near to a radiated zombie raises your radiation level. Cop puke that hits you also increases your radiation level. Could be super nasty until you get those iodide pills or wearing a full hazmat suit and would make later hordes especially deadly if you're unprepared. Do you wear your best military armour for more protection, or that hazmat suit that's as good as a wet paper bag against physical hits? Would add a good choice element to the game and also make you think twice about raiding larger skyscrapers early on.

Idea: Jumping boss zombie! Maybe the radiated gorilla boss could have the ability to jump high up over walls or onto towers as well as climb walls, and could appear as a mid to late-game boss on horde nights to be super nasty. Or, maybe that clown you added could have this ability... OR, give the rad gorilla the ability to pick up zeds and fling them over walls to get to you. Or all of the above... would make later horde nights super punishing.

Well, crap. Thanks for the info @Mortelentus. I don't think GameServers.com lets you overwrite those DLLs with their subscription model. Is there any kind of work-around?

You NEED to get permissions to override the dlls... No way around that, sorry to say.

Fishing seems to be bugged as of today on our save. Whenever we approach a lake we get told that it's a good fishing spot but we cannot cast the line (yes, we have earthworms). In the logs we get this error: SDX: Could not find asset 'earthworm'.

Mdf25 the bandits either have really crappie aim or really great aim, I think they went with the great aim because it's not really any challenge if you can walk up to a Bandit and kill him while he's shooting at you. I took out 10 bandits at the oil refinery with a bow and a crappie pistol at low level. They did shoot one boulder I was behind to pieces and almost killed me a few times, but it was fun and tactical.

Hi, I have the problem with the generation distance: I've set the maximum generation distance for the map to 40000, for burnt forrest from 28000 until 30000, radiated area from 30000 until 40000 distance from center.

Now, when I start moving towards the edge of the map, I notice, that the radiated burnt forrest will start at 8000.

I didn't find anything about this in the rwgmixer.xml. So, why does this happen? Did I miss anything else?

Can someone tell me where to craft solar bank and solar cells?

Description for solar bank says I can make it in workbench but alas there is no craft option.

Description for solars cells says "Crafter" What the heck is that lol?

"crafter" refers to an NPC (a survivor or a colonist) and tehir workbench. You cannot make it yourself - you need to have a survivor make them for you

Edited by rentechd (see edit history)

I am trying to get the starvation mod working on the Linux client (single player). Most of the info I've found relates to the server, not the client.

I haven't had any luck getting the mod launcher to work in Linux, so I copied the mod files manually.

I fixed the blocks.xml error by changing "mods" to "Mods" for the "workingTv":

<block id="984" name="workingTv">
       <property name="Class" value="TV, Mods" />

This allowed me to start a new game, but the first thing I have noticed is that some textures seem to be missing. in particular the textures for the new animals, plants and trees. The models are there, but they are all pink. But some are working, such as the tiger. I tried to upload a screenshot, but there was an error uploading the file.

I'm not sure if there is something I can change to get the textures working. I noticed in the output log that there are a lot of "Shader Unsupported" warnings. I've attached the log.

The only people we know that have Linux currently working is Bela Lugosi and his group. He posted here on the changes that you need to make in some files and the setting changes you need to make on Linux itself. He also posted a link to the files already edited for you to use on linux. His file changes in the xml applies to client as well as server and you would need his file updates. I believe that the locales settings would have to be made whether you run a server or not

Any know how to put STARVATION Mod for A16 on my server? do i just copy sum or all the files over to the server?

Once you have a vanilla server set up and running you can then just copy and paste the Starvation files in your game directory and overwrite when asked... it should overwrite several files it your putting it in the right place

hei guys, i dont want to stress you or something.. But my game updated to 16.4 and so did my server on the site where i host it and there is no way to downgrade the server and now i cant play anymore. Do you have some kind of eta for the update? Not trying to be annoying but we just started playing the mod :(

Next weekly update. I can't imagine that a server host would force update you and not give you an option to roll back. All of the hosting companies I am familiar with, including my own, do not upgrade a game until the server owner comes in and click the button to upgrade and most have some method to make sure that you can roll back to a previous version, or will do it for you manually. You might just contact support and see if they' re one of the ones that just offer manual rollbacks

First i would like to say i love your mode it's the best i have see for 7D2D in a long time.

my question is is there any way to disable the Sanity in the game?

thank you for making this mode for Evey one and the hard work that win it to it.

Yes you can disable sanity although its major part of the mod :) I have a knowledge base article up on my my company's site with how you can do it although turning it off has caused some people to say things act odd sometimes: https://www.killservers.com/?ccce=knowledgebase&action=displayarticle&id=74&page_id=2996

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone explain exactly? How to upgrade the the farm storage ? I put the snowballs inside and nothing happens. The farmer starts working just as I give him storage (ice covered ) from creative menu .

Just like you upgrade any block click on it with the snowball active and add the snowballs - putting them in the inventory has no effect

Well, crap. Thanks for the info @Mortelentus. I don't think GameServers.com lets you overwrite those DLLs with their subscription model. Is there any kind of work-around?

If your hosting company will not allow you to overwrite dll's to apply mods you have two choices really and that is to go with a hosting company that allows dll's to be overwritten using FTP or one that provides you with the mod to install through their service. My company. Killservers, and others like PingPerfect simply provide the mod in the mod manager so you can click an install link and through our server permissions and the manager knows where to install the mod properly. There is a security risk for server hosters in allowing users to upload and change exes and dlls as that could turn a game server into a DDs server or a porn server - not something one wants to happen. Because of that and not all games use stream workshop (which the host can give permissions to change those files) many of us support modders and people that want to use mods by giving you the option to install though the server. If your host won't do something like that the only work around that you have is trying a different host.

Some host will do it on a case by case basis if you make the files available and give them the necessary instructions for correct install so you can always try contacting support. I know that we have server owners that used to be with GameServers and moved because of this so I am not sure if they will do it as a support issue or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, I have the problem with the generation distance: I've set the maximum generation distance for the map to 40000, for burnt forrest from 28000 until 30000, radiated area from 30000 until 40000 distance from center.

Now, when I start moving towards the edge of the map, I notice, that the radiated burnt forrest will start at 8000.

I didn't find anything about this in the rwgmixer.xml. So, why does this happen? Did I miss anything else?

This is a function of the vanilla game - I think you would have to ask in the main modding forum or General Discussion.

Is anyone getting endless screamer attacks? I literally am getting attacked by dozens and dozens of zombies called by seemingly endless screamers. The screamers call friends, that include screamers, and so on. I think at one point i might have had 60 or more zombies. It's getting mind numbing.

Is anyone getting endless screamer attacks? I literally am getting attacked by dozens and dozens of zombies called by seemingly endless screamers. The screamers call friends, that include screamers, and so on. I think at one point i might have had 60 or more zombies. It's getting mind numbing.

Same here. At first it was ok but they seem more and more. Try killing her from afar.

The trick is to kill the second screamer friend the first calls in or always the last one. If you miss her another screamer is called in. Each screamer comes with her friends and if you don't act fast you can get lots of Zomberts!

Not sure this is a bug or balance issue- so far I'm enjoying it.

I get endless invisible zombies... being hit by them and only hit them with luck when hitting air

This is not unusual but it stems from vanilla and not something that Starvation brought to the game. In vanilla A15 it started happening where screamers would call screamers when they called the horde and this keeps happening if you don't kill them off first. It can get so bad that about the only way to control them is to log off a server or out of a game and let them disperse. TFP said in A15 that screamers did have a chance to call other screamers but it was not supposed to be to the extent that happens. We learned that when a screamer calls a horde or comes in with a wandering horde the best thing to do is ignore everyone else and tale out the screamers first, if you don't they each keep calling hordes and every horde they call has the potential for more screamers and so on. AS I said, this has been happening since A15 in the vanilla game and I had hoped that they would have a fix in for it in A16 but that does not seem to be the case. This is not someting Starvation can fix but something TFP have to address.

Oh yeah. I make my own bigger backpack mod :D Assembly-cshap.dll and xml files modified, and working fine. Thanks for NOT helping, because i learn how to make bigger bagpack. THANKS!

There is a very good reason for not adding the generic BBM that just gives everyone major slots from the start and we have gone over that reason. Starvation is there to 'help' and make the game easy or a breeze or anything like that and since it is a scavenging game all the BBM does is remove the need to do smart inventory management and let you just breeze through with hit and run looting. As we said, we might look into adding it it, if TFP don't, as a crafted skill based upgrade for later game levels. I am really not sure how you could do this without overwriting the dll and therefore getting rid of Starvation code because you you do not have the Starvation source to build a new dll in it with your changes and the Starvation changes. If you just dropped a new dll in over what is in the starvation mod you have the vanilla dll with your changes and lost all teh Starvation changes. Many things in Starvation will not work for you now

Mdf25 the bandits either have really crappie aim or really great aim, I think they went with the great aim because it's not really any challenge if you can walk up to a Bandit and kill him while he's shooting at you. I took out 10 bandits at the oil refinery with a bow and a crappie pistol at low level. They did shoot one boulder I was behind to pieces and almost killed me a few times, but it was fun and tactical.

Ahh I see - I listed it as a potential bug as I wasn't sure if it was intended or not for their aim to be so precise. Don't get me wrong, I like it and not complaining about their aim per se. It's definitely an improvement from A15 where the ranged bandits wouldn't shoot you at all, so they are going in the right direction and that is awesome. For me I know they spawn in the clunky oil factory and around some POIs that look like traders, so I stay away from those places until I can take them out from a distance with a PSG.

My only concern was for newer players who might not be aware that the bandits are indeed in and they can spawn in some POIs. The element of surprise was real when I was on the way to what looked like a trader settlement and I heard gunfire, scared the life out of me :D Lucky I was near a big rock, I went right behind that and waited for a bit, then ran in the other direction... until I got 2-shot and died. I thought I made it out, but they sure showed me :p I should have just run away and I might have made it. I was only level 3 at the time too.

Server isn´t working

Hello together,

sorry if this is the wrong thread, but we have problems with the Starvation Officail PvP - Europe Server.

Is there a TS or a possibilty to contact the admin? It would be great if we can play on your Server, but at the moment it is not possible under this conditions. Thank you in advance.

kind regards

sepp

P.S. Sorry for my english.