Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Think of it like this and I admit I'm no programmer so I could be wrong on this. But more options would mean more specs to run the game. Putting the options in the game would mean it would have to use some kind of space and memory for the game so the specs to download the game increases. So if you start putting options for every little thing then you are limiting the player base because only those with really high end computer could run it. So what people are trying to say is not everything needs options some stuff you can mod and this game allows that to happen. So as much as I would love to have options I have to take that as a grain of salt and look at the bigger picture.

If I may correct you, most of the time it isn't about space and memory. The options you can change in the client have a counterpart in the config files. So when you change an option you practically mod, only more comfortably. The value you set in the options of the client just overwrites in memory what is written in the config files. Some changes may change space and memory, but that isn't a reason to exclude them from the options, see the "zombies per player" option for example.

The cost of more options is for example in testing all these options and also taking all these options into account when bugs are checked for validity. Also someone has to programm and then test all the additional options into the GUI and that work might be just for nought when whatever the option changes gets completely reworked by TFP. Generally this type of work is better delegated to the beta phase when the core of the game isn't changed anymore and the developers can evaluate much better which options will be the most important to the players.

Would it be possible if the team can add some animation while riding Hog, well any kinda of vehicle really. Riding the current minibike seems too stiff.

New vehicle system is round the corner. Stiff and other glitches are gona be in the past with the proper hardware of course. MM`s words.

Will the block placer be getting some improvement so it no longer goes White/Green on invalid spots?

We've been moving from frames (forced as all kind of frames have been removed) but the block placer mechanic still has major issues that cause wasted materials on a regular basis.

I'm not even sure how the system can calculate a spot as valid before placing, then decide after it is not. If it is not a valid spot, it is not a valid spot. Don't allow placement.

The darn jumpy block placer is silly too when at times you can not be touching the mouse and it will jump between 2 or 3 spots depending on your angle (you can leave your mouse alone when this happens and just watch it do that over and over).

Just wanted to pop back in and say thanks to TFP for continuing to care about this game and make it better, despite the spite of some of the posters.

Also, sorry if I got too spammy with the stuff that got moved out of this thread. Not that I'm sorry I was picking on Roland or Gazz. :p

Madmole can we get a picture of just the bike so we can see how it looks on the front? The perspective (probably DoF) seems to be stretching it out a lot and making it look a bit alien ugly. I can see the gravel looks stretched so thinking that the bike isn't so long nosed like it is making it look in the pic. Thanks.

Oh look another troll who can't read. I already posted on twitter and here too I think, that vehicles have a brand new physics system, so no more falling through the world. They don't go too fast for chunks, unless you are modding or playing on an unsupported system.

Does that mean you slowed down the vehicles a lot? Cause I have had chunk loading issues on the minibike that was no where near top speed on SP and on MP (hosted game server with only 3 people on it).

I don't know how easy it is to mod in 7DTD but I kind of feel for ZombieToad.

Back when I was a kid I was making Warcraft III custom maps but the tools Blizzard made to make custom maps were phenomenal. Little by little I started to mod my games (and even mods I downloaded I would edit)

It's not hard to do. Changing a texture model is basically copying and pasting files in folders. I cannot tell you how many games I swapped the hitting sound for the Team Fortress 2 Scout pan hitting sound. Adding a minimap though is something else if the code was totally removed. It's on another level than just swapping files and editing AI pattern files (which is do-able)

Then again, TFP might add it in the future and the code hasn't been scrapped and can only be toggled on? It's a possibility. I'm getting back into 7dtd so I have to get a feel of where the game is at now before tinkering with stuff. I'm unaware of the what new is in and if they made a modding tool.

Fun fact: Torchlight II spent their first 8 months after launch making the modding tools and it's been the highlight of that game ever since.

We're probably going to simplify the bike slots because those slots are holding data storage that could be mods instead. So rather than a seat taking up a slot you will install a mod there.

Oh nice :)

So by the same token guns could also get a similar treatment possibly down the track? Or is it a minibike = entity situation and not applicable to assembled items?

Decided to make my weekly trip to the forum, and I could be mistaken....but do I see somebody trying to troll Trolland? I mean, the guy literally gets paid to take our challenges and serve us a big ole' slice of humble pie.

"Calling someone a narcissist wont help your argument. And let me reiterate for the final time, whether Im a narcissist, a sadomassochist, or whether i like having unadulterated gangbangs with everyone dressed as a pikachu bears absolutely no relevance to the content of my posts pertaining to the game and genuine inquiries into past/current features.

Okay, so you went from talking about a personality trait to sexual preferences? How do those correlate? We don't need to know your business like that bro, though I'm glad you feel secure enough in our friendship to share.

Word of agreement, I would like a tapered pole, or spear, or any type of polearm for longer melee combat.

Oh nice :)

So by the same token guns could also get a similar treatment possibly down the track? Or is it a minibike = entity situation and not applicable to assembled items?

you can already MOd guns now..i have a entire setup of Gun Upgrades..

Magazine upgrades/silencers/Chokes/Scopes .... I have offered them to the Fun pimps many times.....

- - - Updated - - -

We're working on a 4 wheeled vehicle, and had these bikes laying around for years so we hooked them up.

Well played sir..i had a feeling you had a few tricks up your sleeves :)

you can already MOd guns now..i have a entire setup of Gun Upgrades..

Magazine upgrades/silencers/Chokes/Scopes .... I have offered them to the Fun pimps many times.....

- - - Updated - - -

Well played sir..i had a feeling you had a few tricks up your sleeves :)

Oh I know that :)

I was more looking at SDX like changes to the weapons appearance if things like properly customised weapons (scopes, bipods, extended mags etc.) were added to the vanilla game.

Oh I know that :)

I was more looking at SDX like changes to the weapons appearance if things like properly customised weapons (scopes, bipods, extended mags etc.) were added to the vanilla game.

yes..im sorry i wasnt thinking outside the box......that would be a welcome change for sure.......i'm more interested in their "MoCaptions" they are"i hope" working on .......... Climbing/prone/crawl/running/jumping/Melee/finisher's ... I think with all that animations for other stuff will be easier to build on.....you must have the Core basics before anything else ... with this 3rd person will look better also

So your PC is slower than a console? I think there are memory leaks and other crap going on, ..........

Preview a few maps and look at the difference between the starting ram use and use when the game crash. My pc ram go from 4gig to 14gig and then crash. I5 7600, gen 7 motherboard, 16 gig ram.

Archived