• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

So.

Optimization takes place in Beta.

Optimization takes place after all features / systems added

New features/ Systems added post gold

I can not compute.... Cyclical references detected

New features can be added after optimizations and bug fixing but it is slow because it all has to be added in at the highly polished level. If there are just a few features that need to be added post gold and they can take their time on it then its possible. What is bad during the alpha phase is:

Add content

Fix bugs and optimize to finished standard

Add more content

Refix bugs and optimize to finished standard

Add more content

Refix bugs and optimize to finished standard....

During alpha they add content and only do enough to keep it playable (no "show stoppers" as Madmole likes to say).

We've had 16 cycles now of content adding and if they had taken the time to do a full job of optimizing and fixing bugs inbetween each and every cycle we would be nowhere near Alpha 16 right now and a lot of redundant work would have been done.

Having to re-optimize once or twice for the last few features to go in post gold will not be nearly the redundancy.

Just curious, will they announce the kickstarter here right before they go gold? I would definitely back their next venture.

Doubtful. There is usually quite a backlash when "next project" is announced before "current project" is completely done. Whenever even just fans speculate about the next TFP game and no developers are even involved in the conversation you always get a couple of grumps that post "I think they should finish this one before we start talking about the next one!"

If they go the route of taking away the fully desstructable world in favor of more zombies, PLEASE let that be anoption, and not FORCED. I love tearing apart buildings for resources and such

I Would rather have a 100% destroyable world then more zombies. Screw the zombies. ;)

I don't understand the why... If you're still planning on releasing new content, And but fixing that, what's the business reason to move forward to beta and gold.

...it's just in name only. They can allocate resources however they want, so I'm not understanding "it frees them up".

Something isn't adding up. And my curiosity radar is on.

I don't understand the why... If you're still planning on releasing new content, And but fixing that, what's the business reason to move forward to beta and gold.

...it's just in name only. They can allocate resources however they want, so I'm not understanding "it frees them up".

I think it's so that they can announce the next Kickstarter with causing too much trouble.

The classic rush to meet a deadline of a "gold" release is my guess

Going gold frees them to start on their Next Big Thing.

And that's my concern right there. Going gold with main features missing, then moving on and basically abandon it.

Fortnite added PvP without finishing their story and became the most played game as of now with 3.4 million concurrent players.

Now personally I would love a story over a new PvP mode, but if TFP want to draw more people to the game they should add more PvP game modes to reach different types of players. The data shows most people play PvP. Don't let what you like be an assumption for what "most player" like.

I didn't know about that and that's quite unfortunate but understandable. Then again, having only a part of the story in the game is not the end of the world, since like many players I do tend to stop doing the main quest before finishing it in such games as I mentioned. New players may start with it, but then go on to do other things in the game, so there might not be a need to have all of it right away. They could add the story divided in 2 or more chapters for example.

The thing with 7 Days is the focus is on PVE much more than on PVP, though. Honestly, if I had to choose between a full storyline and new AI for zombies and serious bug fixes, I'd choose the latter. But the fact is most players will start a solo campaign. Just watch some YouTube videos of new players getting into the game. Finding a multiplayer game is not what they will do first. I don't think PVP is all that good in 7 Days, because that's not what the game is about.

The first few quests to make a bedroll up to the trader is what I would call an intro tutorial, except maybe for the text introducing the trader there is absolutely no story there as far as I recall.

The text introducing the trader and the quest leading you to it, actually is the beginning of the main quest. "The White River settlement, it's real and it's safe" yeah... sure Noah, that's until they kick you out at night haha.

I think it is what others have said. My hunch is the next game is already in development or concept and a kickstarter announced while 7 Days is in Alpha will bring forward a MASS of complaints and backlash. Not saying its deserved. If Pimps announced a new game today I would back it because in my mind they have fulfilled for me my expectations and I believe their next venture would be just as amazing to be a part of on the ground floor.

But you see all these posts already about beta and gold. Imagine if a new Kickstarted crept up tomorrow? A lot of folks would protest and possibly not buy it because of their silly preconceived notions about them supposedly "not finishing" 7 Days. Blame those people for the rush.

Madmole said A17 is beta right here

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?74084-Developer-Diary-Alpha-17!!!&p=788414#post788414

As well as alluding to it in the video about Gyrocopters

That honestly made me jump. I just thought, wait... what? It's still lacking many features so how could it be beta yet? I'm really looking forward to see what was added in A17 now.

Maybe it's just me but I don't see how this game can ever come out of Alpha without [better AI programming] to rework the zombies so they aren't dumber than a screen door on a submarine.

Little do you know, but the spinning in circles thing actually causes gravitational vortexes that strengthen the blood moon. You'd know that if they had a story mode. =)

Madmole was talking about doing a fantasy themed game after this one, but I think guppy has that covered

I remember that. I also remember he was ranting at Bethesda for working on Fallout 4 instead of TES6 in a post before, so I'm concerned about TFP working on more than a project at a time. Then again, a fantasy game like TES from them, you can sign me up.

Archived