Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

That type of comment is why me, and half the forum, has a man crush on you Roland. :encouragement:

Edit: Or is it just me and I've said too much?

You already said it. Take care of the consequences and he will take care of the naughty public here. He does it in the best way. ;)

@DeadMole, we don`t even know what is gonna be exactly in A17 since its evolving in so many good ways. Everdeen could have lots of kids, you know ? We`ll find out. Take care and keep up with us.

You are seriously comparing a minor graphical improvement that was rightfully not going to be bothered with until after release with the main storyline of the game?

Hey, I'm Trolland and can spot a like-minded fellow from a mile away. Keep it going, man. You're baiting lots of hooks....lol

You are seriously comparing a minor graphical improvement that was rightfully not going to be bothered with until after release with the main storyline of the game?

Minor? Now I know you don't much about game development. The improvements to RWG are nothing close to being just "minor graphical improvements"

Any game developer in their right mind? Ask Bethesda if they would ever release the next TES game without the main storyline in it just for fun.

Sure they would. If the story wasn't the main reason for the game, I'm sure they would release a game without one. If they thought it would sell they might even add one in as DLC.

Im curious. After vehicles and bandits, what features in their Kickstarter are missing? Certainly not TONS. What you WANT and what we get are two different things.

I'm having a nice laugh at all the people saying A17 is not beta and that MM was joking. His post LITERALLY said it is beta, with no hint of a joke or sarcasm. Maybe people just don't want to believe we are nearing the end?

Important to remember Beta does not mean DONE. It means feature locked. No one said they cant ADD additional things and tweak existing things some more in Beta.

No but you JUST said Minecraft. No story in Minecraft. So you nuked your own theory. And they ARE adding additional quests. NO ONE promised you cut scenes and pre recorded cinematic dialogue with a full story (beginning middle end) just a more fleshed out story.

I honestly have no idea since I haven't been playing from the beginning. I'm only naming features that makes sense, not what I personally want.

It didn't sound like a joke at all. I'm quite certain he was dead serious about the game being almost done. I remember him posting that fans were dreading the day it comes out of alpha, and I honestly am starting to.

Right, so all the main features should be in the game by then and as I said it seems to me there's still a lot missing but if they do add many more in the next couple of alphas it will seem closer to be completed.

"Nuked your own theory?" Ever heard of a little game called Minecraft Story Mode? Besides it's not a theory as you put it: the first objective of the main quest is already in the game and they can't just stop there, can they. Then again they might do like Minecraft and add the rest of the story afterwards.

Hell, its that now. It's funny that in your mind to be a mix of two things it has to have EVERYTHING from both. That's not how mixing works. You mix sugar and water and the result is neither as sweet as pure sugar or as tasteless as pure water. It is a blend of the two extremes. That's how I see this game already.

Nah, not everything. Just a little thing called the main quest, really nothing important apparently.

I would sincerely bet that most people that play this game do not play Navezgane frequently (maybe once per alpha release for most of us), which is where the story mode will take place. I think most people won't play story mode more than a few times through and then go back to playing random gen. And your view of it being "the most important feature" is obviously your opinion and one that I don't think is shared by a significant portion of the player base. Will it be welcomed by most? Sure! Will there be weeping and gnashing of teeth if it doesn't happen? Not bloody likely, if I must be British for a moment.

The main story arc doesn't have to be a major feature of 7DTD, it really doesn't. It certainly isn't why people have purchased it to this point considering it isn't even in the game yet. TFP isn't going to try to charge us for features they've said would be in the game that get implemented after the main release. In the grand scheme of things what is a release date anyway besides some arbitrary point in time? They will continue to add to this game for years to come and long before they stop doing that there will be 100's and perhaps 1000's of people adding to the game via mods. This game will likely never be finished so long as there are computers and operating systems capable of running it.

I play Navezgane a lot, and try to memorize the map so when quests will be sending players all over the place I'll know my way around. It would just be pretty fun to have said quests in the finished game eh?

@DeadMole, we don`t even know what is gonna be exactly in A17 since its evolving in so many good ways. Everdeen could have lots of kids, you know ? We`ll find out. Take care and keep up with us.

I'm looking forward to find out and plan to stick with the game until the end for sure.

Hey, I'm Trolland and can spot a like-minded fellow from a mile away. Keep it going, man. You're baiting lots of hooks....lol

Sad thing is, I'm not just a dead mole, but I'm dead serious too.

The improvements to RWG are nothing close to being just "minor graphical improvements"

Sure they would. If the story wasn't the main reason for the game, I'm sure they would release a game without one. If they thought it would sell they might even add one in as DLC.

RWG looking better is not what I would call a major feature, hence why it wasn't even planned to be in the game before release.

Who plays MMORPGs for the story? The honest awnser is no one whatsoever. Was there a main quest leading you to the end of the game in TESO when it was realsed as beta? Of COURSE there was.

I honestly do not think he was. There are TWO instances of him alluding to it or even saying it. Maybe HE does not realize that it might be impossible to call it beta just yet, but from his perspective I dont think HE thinks he is joking. He may be wrong yes, but joking? Its possible someone told him after he posted that beta is a long reach for A17 but that post was definitely NOT a joke.

I took it as a joke, but honestly? I wouldn't care if it wasn't. Because it doesn't matter; you're absolutely right, it has to go beta at some point, and they've said numerous times they're willing to push features to post-gold, and no matter what there will be an end point. <shrug>

It's been fun, it's been unfun, it is what it is.

- - - Updated - - -

@deadmole: I want to clarify, my "I laughed" wasn't from what you said, it was from what MM said that you referring to about a joke. I took it as one, but hey, I like to have fun. =)

I'm well aware of all that and I'm not surprised that the game does seem early in development still. But I remember MM posting something like who cares if it takes until 2030 to be finished and I was glad to read that, because A16 looks nowhere near finished.

Glad to have given you a good laugh then.

I only came back to the forums recently so I missed that, but it's good to know then, because they are in dire need of some good loving.

Sure, the fact most early access survival games follow the same patern doesn't have anything to do with this one.

Any game developer in their right mind? Ask Bethesda if they would ever release the next TES game without the main storyline in it just for fun.

Your logic is pretty faulty. For one no one ever said it would have a story mode before release. Kickstarter even specifically says it might be added post release.

A story mode is not required to be successful as long as game play is fun. There are many games people don't play for the story.

@trolland: Yeh he may be trolling, but I'm not sure you realize the level of frustration "out here" away from the spotlight and the knowledge you get from going to jira... people be frustrated homie. Not saying they're justified, but it's true, they really are. Communication is horrible, and I think you know it. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Why didn't the beta cross the road?

To make the devs lots of money?

Guppy says too much. You're not even a runner-up. ;)

Ya know, in the grand scheme of things, you're not too terribly quiet yourself... you're in 4th place if I recall. =)

- - - Updated - - -

i had same thought! :)

I kinda liked him. But yeh, same sentiment, so possibly.

I am expected to ahh... communicate with the player-base. Or somesuch.

Pfft yeh, you were a top poster long before your title, nice try buddy. =)

In fact, I can mathematically argue that you're posting LESS since becoming a dev ('cause I just ran some numbers).

- - - Updated - - -

Listening to Guppy is like listening to Sarah McLachlan sing The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight by REM. :p

Silly me just went looking for a cover song.

In all honesty, I rarely ever finish the main quest in those games either, but it HAS to be in the final game for those who want to do it. I mean, it's called the main quest for a reason.

7DTD is supposed to be a mix between Minecraft and Fallout according to MM and there's just no way a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game would be released without a full storyline in it.

You seem stuck on this idea that 7DtD needs to be like a Bethesda game. Why? Doing everything that Fallout does, plus everything Minecraft and The Walking Dead do, wouldn't just be derivative: it'd be a mess.

There are other kinds of games out there, and in some of them a main storyline is not important or even expected. That's okay. Sandbox games in particular can work - can be considered complete - with or without them. Sure, I think adding story could enrich the game. But to insist it's requisite is to ignore the possibility of a different kind of game.

Bottom line is we're getting more vehicles, we're getting quests, we're getting bandits, we're getting a story, so what's the rush?

If they bust those out too soon, maybe we don't get a boat, or horses, or conversation script access, or (insert thing we'll likely get but is not on the official list here).

Archived