Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Satterbrained like me too, sometimes you get so much into a ingame project and poof - a horde is eating your butt. :) Can`t wait to let them test me.

With dead is dead, I have to build a curtain wall around my construction site to keep from getting ganked, so I creatively call them: "Gank Walls". :)

Hey Gazz,

Have you checked the mod "Dying Lands"?

It's an XML mod and it does some cool things that should be considered for the vanilla.

1. Zombies see you much further away. At night time they see less but during the day it makes sense and feels more atmospheric. Carrying a light source in the night should also result in zombies seeing you form very far.

2. Losing a "tail" requires you to break the line of sight for a period of time. If a zombie sees you, it will continue following you.

3. Zombies start swinging their arms further away. First, it is more zombie-like behaviour. It doesn't care you're out of reach, it wants to get you.

Secondly, it solves a problem with current zombie behaviour. They attack at certain proximity that you can learn and take advantage of. Step in range, hit, step back before they can touch you. When they are attacking randomly all the time, you can't initiate their attack and you can't count on predictable action.

I like #3 a lot. Currently melee needs work.

I would say if they smell you for #1 and #2. They are making quite a few brain functions discerning you from other zombies by sight. But sense of taste is hard wired to the brain and close behind is smell, so can be considered a reflex.

im listening to the games sounds and its incredibly hard to discern where the zombies and animals are coming from and how far away they are.

Question in A17 is there any work going on toward spatial sounds and being able to tell which area the sounds are coming from as i am assuming that most gamers would have even the most basic stereo headphones

thanks for your time

bump

Made a new vehicle motor/force system today. Fully runs from xml. Converted gyro to use and the gyro has almost no code now.

Modders should like this. :smile-new:

So vehicles run on xml instead of gasoline now. Do we have to search for fuel in internet cafes now? :smile-new:

Hey guys, I just notice this old post from MadMole. So better AI for zombies is coming in A17, right?

Why is it not listed in the first post Roland?

Notice that madmole says there is a new pathing algo, but he doesn't say whether it is finished or going into A17.

So you are saying that though Fun pimps are not sure to make gyro in A17, but modder surely can add that and more such flying things. Nice. Thanks

TFP has different quality requirements than modders, no surprise there.

I think faatals post could mean gyro is more likely to show up in A17 now, since he makes good progress on the vehicle front. Or it could mean that they might keep gyro out themselves and watch what modders do with it and what problems they run into.

Almost perfect: You pluck the Zombie bears up... and also drop them on the bandit bases. Eventually, the bears will get hungry again (Lore question: are zombies always hungry?) and move away. You walk in and pick out the jeep that says: "This is me".

Drive off for the win! :)

Edit: Speaking of win, the last 10 hours of this forum have been pretty win IMO

-More realistic challenge to underground.

-More rewarding experience to building above ground (need a landing pad and to protect your air force!) :)

-Generally super hype worthy things coming out of A17!

-Guppy was only a little snarky to Roland and I'll call that a win! :)

-You know the last 10 hours were interesting if I actually read every post!

...and Happy Valentines day!

Waiting on my breakfast delivered to my computer desk, generally a three course meal that will take me all day to finish. Got to keep my strength UP...

My snark fuels Roland; it's an integral part of our dynamic. One time, I wasn't snarky to him, and he was so lost in grief that he deleted me, and the forums shut down for a day. True (ish) story.

Clearly abandonware...

In all seriousness, it almost does sound like it at this point. Sounds like it's been in early access for so long, they are just trying to wrap things up as soon as they can now.

Alpha 17 is beta, and by all rights SHOULD have been a sequel there is so much work being done.

How can it be a beta when there's still so many important features missing?

If its beta.. all major features should be included, correct? Bandits?

And the new AI, Behemoth, quests, storyline and a plethora of other features that were mentioned and are still missing.

A17 is a HUGE change, so much in fact it is almost like a move from alpha to beta. In effect, it is also almost like getting a sequel game for free since it doesn't cost you anything and changes so much of the game.

It is not literally beta nor is it literally a sequel.

Learn to take a joke? :p

Eh, no. It wasn't a joke. MM said A17 is nearly beta at the end of this video.

He also meant they changed so many things it's almost like a sequel, while in fact the game didn't change all that much ever since I started playing A14.

In all seriousness, it almost does sound like it at this point. Sounds like it's been in early access for so long, they are just trying to wrap things up as soon as they can now.

How can it be a beta when there's still so many important features missing?

And the new AI, Behemoth, quests, storyline and a plethora of other features that were mentioned and are still missing.

He also meant they changed so many things it's almost like a sequel, while in fact the game didn't change all that much ever since I started playing A14.

My own speculation and I could be just as wrong or right as your speculation:

I don't think MM was actually meaning A17 is going to be beta but was doing a comparison from what we have, to what is being worked on in A17 currently. With the way he stated it though it's very understandable ppl could not be sure with how he wrote it through.

As far as having enough stuff for this to be a sequel? Compared to what this game was originally slated to have from the kickstarter, it does have enough stuff for it to have been a sequel or at least an expansion pack. At least with everything said to be coming.

Just my thoughts..

My own speculation and I could be just as wrong or right as your speculation:

I don't think MM was actually meaning A17 is going to be beta but was doing a comparison from what we have, to what is being worked on in A17 currently. With the way he stated it though it's very understandable ppl could not be sure with how he wrote it through.

As far as having enough stuff for this to be a sequel? Compared to what this game was originally slated to have from the kickstarter, it does have enough stuff for it to have been a sequel or at least an expansion pack. At least with everything said to be coming.

Just my thoughts..

The refusal to talk about bandits is my only concern. I just pray they didnt go the way of the behometh.

He said in the video it's going to be nearly beta, so unless they add a ton of features in the next couple of alphas (which is quite possible) then the game won't nearly be finished.

Well sure, if you do compare what it is now to alpha 1 (I started playing on alpha 14, but watched videos of all previous versions) it changed a lot, but it didn't change all that much since quite a few versions.

The refusal to talk about bandits is my only concern. I just pray they didnt go the way of the behometh.

IDK to me it's a big feature for most ppl and I can understand them wanting to hold off on talking about it. If everything goes well they can hype that to no end during their release. If the bandits don't turn out the way they want it.. well.. no need to hype.

I just hope they don't use the bandits (if/when they come out) as the main late game threat. As far as I know it still seems like they aren't sure if what we have are actual "Zombies" or "Special Infected". Personally I pulling for "Special Infected" over "Zombies" but that's just a personal preference and I hope they are still the main threat throughout the game.

His actual words were "nearly beta but not actually beta" and "it's getting very close". He then followed that up with the fact they're changing nearly everything and there is "so much more to come" (right at the end). So it's not like they're going to go directly to beta without some additional alpha testing and features. It may not be a make you laugh joke but it is certain to me that he didn't say that expecting people to interpret it literally. There may not be an A19 but there will be an A18 based on everything I've heard and seen.

IDK to me it's a big feature for most ppl and I can understand them wanting to hold off on talking about it. If everything goes well they can hype that to no end during their release. If the bandits don't turn out the way they want it.. well.. no need to hype.

A lot of the "A17 stuff" will get used on bandits/NPC.

Like being able to adjust the firing accuracy of an entity when it picks up a generic gun.

This plus work on sounds and animations to make things more flexible and accurate while allowing for variety in NPC skills and such.

This is all good stuff but going BANDITS NAO would be putting the cart before the horse.

In general that works for wheelbarrows so I guess it's not totally unreasonable? But that's not what I meant.

He said in the video it's going to be nearly beta, so unless they add a ton of features in the next couple of alphas (which is quite possible) then the game won't nearly be finished.

Well sure, if you do compare what it is now to alpha 1 (I started playing on alpha 14, but watched videos of all previous versions) it changed a lot, but it didn't change all that much since quite a few versions.

From the original kickstarter they have always maintained that some features would come after gold release. The exact features saved until after release will be shuffled from what was mentioned in the kickstarter but there is no need for a couple more alphas. They could very easily go to Beta after alpha 17 and polish everything up to release standards and then add any missing features as DLCs afterward. They plan to continue fully supporting this game at least 2 years after release.

You know what else is overpowered? Zombies that see through walls.

If we consider the whole package of sensory input (and the zombies could be sensing through smell just as well as through sight), the player is on as good or better than equal footing with the zombies. Blood Moon zombies sense the player through walls, but the player senses those zombies through walls, too, on account of all the noise they make. It’s not like they’re doing anything to conceal their presence. Add the fact that the player can see through glass (and shoot, and build, and craft...) and I don’t think the player’s getting the short end of the stick here.

No one specifically. They get set by content creators and tweaked by whoever sees an issue.

Yet another developer that, naturally, uses “content creator” to apply to more than video makers. Take note, Roland.

{content creators} > {video makers} :p

Hey guys, I just notice this old post from MadMole. So better AI for zombies is coming in A17, right?

Why is it not listed in the first post Roland?

Madmole said “I imagine some will even complain when they see the new pathing algorithm.” But he didn’t say when that pathing algorithm is coming.

A lot of the "A17 stuff" will get used on bandits/NPC.

Like being able to adjust the firing accuracy of an entity when it picks up a generic gun.

This plus work on sounds and animations to make things more flexible and accurate while allowing for variety in NPC skills and such.

This is all good stuff but going BANDITS NAO would be putting the cart before the horse.

In general that works for wheelbarrows so I guess it's not totally unreasonable? But that's not what I meant.

pft Carts are overrated.. Rickshaw for the win! xD

Good stuff! keep it coming!!

His actual words were "nearly beta but not actually beta" and "it's getting very close". He then followed that up with the fact they're changing nearly everything and there is "so much more to come" (right at the end). So it's not like they're going to go directly to beta without some additional alpha testing and features. It may not be a make you laugh joke but it is certain to me that he didn't say that expecting people to interpret it literally. There may not be an A19 but there will be an A18 based on everything I've heard and seen.

Point is: it's almost beta and that's not a joke. I mean, jokes are supposed to be funny eh? And that really ain't. "Some additional alpha testing and features" you say? Looks to me like the game still needs a ton of testing, and is missing a lot of features.

From the original kickstarter they have always maintained that some features would come after gold release. The exact features saved until after release will be shuffled from what was mentioned in the kickstarter but there is no need for a couple more alphas. They could very easily go to Beta after alpha 17 and polish everything up to release standards and then add any missing features as DLCs afterward. They plan to continue fully supporting this game at least 2 years after release.

"Some features" you say. The main quest/storyline is nowhere near implemented in the game yet. Or is that going to be a DLC? In fact, the game still looks early in developement and nowhere near beta phase.

Archived