Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Finally, as to why most of what has been shown is just art, that is because this part of development is Madmole's passion and what he oversees and so he shares with us what he has been working on. It has always been this way. As more development completes that others on the team are working on he will share those things as he did the bicycle and the motorcycle.

That's about it.

A lot things are happening but you can't show may-be-working code.

Even if that is completed it can take weeks until everything is hooked up to content, data and UI.

If it wasn't so pointless I'd tell you to be patient. =P

Since irradiated zombies glow. Wouldn’t that mean you would be taking rad damage from them? Having a rad suit could be a must at higher game stage. So hazmat zombies infect to stage 2, irradiated would cause radiation sickness. Just saying....

I see a bad moon rising. I see trouble on the way.

I tend more towards snarkiness rather than anger. I’m more often highly amused by trollish and melodramatic behavior in others and I get....snarky. Maybe I WOULD be a great big yellow hulk—or purple. What’s the gamma radiation color for sarcastic douchebaggery?

DC has the lampoon corps where they have a colour for every emotion or somesuch.

Any DC experts here? Which ones work on sarcastic douchebaggery?

Welp...Purple and Pink are right out.

So is white. I strongly suspected the icon of some character in front of some white board with some kind of black 'language' all over it might have been a 'little' misleading...

And the new portrait is definitely in line with Super Moderator aka Banner Bannerer.

Most of us should see the greatest improvement as Unity improves its usage of multi-core processors.

Even the slowest potato these days has more than one processor core. Given the voxel nature of 7dtd the more cores you can throw at those calculations the better. The single-threaded nature of Unity has been a weakness that's become more apparent over the past few years as developers, such as TFP, have pushed the engine further than it was ever envisioned to go. To be honest, they should have been improving multi-processor support about five years ago but better late than never.

Unity is not single threaded. You can use as many threads as you wish in Unity. The Unity API itself is (was? I haven't followed unity all that closely the past couple of years) not thread safe, but that does not mean you could not use multiple threads for things such as calculations and the the like. The Unity team is aware of the underlying API and it's issues, and they are working on making everything thread safe.

That being said, 7DTD had 1 major issue holding it back: It targeted DirectX 9. DirectX 11 provides several improvements to the API that allow it to be utilized with multiple threads. Madmole hinted on twitter that they moved to DirectX 11 for Alpha 17, so I expect there is some ongoing work to improve performance.

Another thought: Thread management is a complex task. You have to be able to determine which parts of your application would be able to benefit from splitting out into a new thread. At the end of the day this is much more complex then it sounds. It is a headache even for us veteran programmers. If TFP is lucky, they will have a few 'easy targets' to split out. If not, well...

Loot issues:

I just got attacked buy a hoard of two dozen fallen solders. A few hazmat and once nurse. I managed to kill them all but hardly any of them had any loot.

All that body armor and on each. It would have thought to get more.

I just think there should be more loot. After all they are a bit harder to kill wearing all that body armor.

- - - Updated - - -

Unity is not single threaded. You can use as many threads as you wish in Unity. The Unity API itself is (was? I haven't followed unity all that closely the past couple of years) not thread safe, but that does not mean you could not use multiple threads for things such as calculations and the the like. The Unity team is aware of the underlying API and it's issues, and they are working on making everything thread safe.

That being said, 7DTD had 1 major issue holding it back: It targeted DirectX 9. DirectX 11 provides several improvements to the API that allow it to be utilized with multiple threads. Madmole hinted on twitter that they moved to DirectX 11 for Alpha 17, so I expect there is some ongoing work to improve performance.

Another thought: Thread management is a complex task. You have to be able to determine which parts of your application would be able to benefit from splitting out into a new thread. At the end of the day this is much more complex then it sounds. It is a headache even for us veteran programmers. If TFP is lucky, they will have a few 'easy targets' to split out. If not, well...

I can't imagine having to go back through something as vast as 7D2D and figure out where and how to properly thread out tasks. It sounds... daunting... I barely scratch the surface with threading and only on rather simple stuff to better utilize network bandwidth. But jeez... This? Pass. GL TFP! lol

- - - Updated - - -

Loot issues:

I just got attacked buy a hoard of two dozen fallen solders. A few hazmat and once nurse. I managed to kill them all but hardly any of them had any loot.

All that body armor and on each. It would have thought to get more.

I just think there should be more loot. After all they are a bit harder to kill wearing all that body armor.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just hoping that when we get to beta or closer to it, when balancing becomes a real focus, that loot starts to take on some game stage calculations. Later game stage = greater loot. So those guys would have a splash more stuffs.

Archived