Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

6 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

14 more days! I'm slobbering 

I'm excited for you man! You're gonna love this version. 

I'm still not completely sold on the new armor system but it's somewhat growing on me. 

Glad you'll get to play this soon! 

22 minutes ago, jetZeds said:

image.thumb.png.b0249af1e631a60f60a7703cbcbbaa56.png

I received the XP but not the rare rewards. Am I reading that wrong?

It doesn't make it clear, but you get the rewards from a trader.  It'll be like when you complete a quest.  You may already have gotten the rewards if you've been to the trader and may have just thought they were quest rewards.

5 minutes ago, Riamus said:

It doesn't make it clear, but you get the rewards from a trader.  It'll be like when you complete a quest.  You may already have gotten the rewards if you've been to the trader and may have just thought they were quest rewards.

ah ok.  Ya I received a double reward and that now makes sense.  appreciate it.  Got a crucible from it, so definitely worth it

48 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Yeah, wasn't clear to me initially either.  Hopefully they take another look at how that is presented.

They likely use traders due to inventory. If you claim it without thinking and it automatically added the rewards to your inventory, if your inventory is full it would just spit them on the ground. 

It would be simple for them to just add a generic "Claim your reward from your nearest trader!" somewhere on each one where necessary. 

For me it was obvious how you collected the challenge awards from the traders, but that was only because I did something similar in a mod I did for A20 where I made challenge quests that once you finished them, you got a reward from the trader (rather than spawning them in your inventory) based on what bdubyah said above.

2 hours ago, bdubyah said:

They likely use traders due to inventory. If you claim it without thinking and it automatically added the rewards to your inventory, if your inventory is full it would just spit them on the ground. 

It would be simple for them to just add a generic "Claim your reward from your nearest trader!" somewhere on each one where necessary. 

It also just makes sense.  1) You have to choose which reward you want.  2) Although it makes sense to get experience for doing the challenge, having a reward just magically appear instead of being given to doesn't really make much sense.  And like you said, inventory space is also a thing, though the same thing used to happen at a trader before they changed it, causing you to drop your reward, sometimes behind the counter where you couldn't get it.

On 7/6/2024 at 1:40 AM, Riamus said:

Seems I can also see through fences.  Lol.  I can see a hazy image of a zombie that is walking along the other side of a wooden fence.  It is like a blur of the fence colors in the shape of the zombie with enough detail that you can pretty much tell which zombie.  Unfortunately screenshots don't capture that for some reason and I about got killed trying. Heh.  Nice to have a super power, I suppose.  :D

It is from motion vectors with Temporal AA or FSR. One of our console programmers is looking into it and he thinks it is from one of Unity's built in shaders which we can override to remove an offset they have in there.

On 7/7/2024 at 7:40 AM, Chaton Noir said:

Hello, @faatal, I have a few questions.

1. Which AO is using 1.0? Earlier you wrote about "BCVAO" (block colour vertex AO). Is this it? https://github.com/Delt06/vertex-ao
2. Is it possible to remove fog from indoor areas? Now it is created globally for the whole world.
3. Is it possible for volumetric clouds to appear? It could make the game much more beautiful outdoors. Plus it wouldn't affect performance if you make it optional and customisable. Regular skyboxes also need improvement - the sky can be made much prettier even without volumetric clouds. I think you will do at least skyboxes in 1.1.
4. Do you plan to change the future order of updates in any way? Will we have intermediate updates 1.0.1, 1.2.2 (like A21.1, A19.5) as before, or will you focus on major updates and we will see only small fixes (1.1 b287, b295)?

5. What is the main problem with generating bridges? You could, for example, make individual bridge sections and place as many of them as you need. You can also additionally make several variants of river widths, for example. Or, for example, you could make some sort of tiles/stamps with a river and a bridge, which would be some sort of nodal point through which the river would be generated. Or you could make a river first, and then put such a tile/stamp/whatever in the place where the bridge is needed, and adequately connect the river and bridge to the tile (which will be easier if there are certain widths of rivers). This is just something that came to my mind :)

I've also heard that the Teragon generator creates bridges the first way. These images were shown to me by one of the players who uses Teragon.

1. Block AO is calculated and set on a block's vertex colors.

2. It is possible, but not likely as the time and potential overhead is not worth it to me.

3. No changes planned for that. We do have sky box images, it is just done through a shader on a dome.

4. Should be the same. We will have major releases with experimental, then stable and minor bug/feature releases between.

5. Time. I was just saying I could spend a solid month on nothing but RWG trying to fix issues and make improvements, but Q4 is coming fast and still have many tasks for pre and post 1.0.

On 7/7/2024 at 11:30 AM, sashabonnie said:

Hello, @faatal
I liked the fact that you find some clothes in the zombie apocalypse world, but in the new version it looks strange. We immediately find a whole piece of armor, but now it’s impossible to find ordinary clothes in this world, I think this breaks the immersion of survival, I got an idea to return clothes to the game.

You can keep old items of clothing, but only as items for crafting armor. They cannot be equipped on a character. It will still be possible to find clothes in clothing stores, rather than pieces of fabric; you can also buy them from a merchant or sew them yourself if you can find the book you need.

How will this work in crafting? Let's say for a farmer's armor you will need a T-shirt and overalls, as well as fabric and iron, like this:

Tier 1 - T-shirt, overalls, 5 fabrics, 5 iron
Tier 2 - T-shirt, overalls, 10 fabrics, 10 iron
Tier 6 - T-shirt, overalls, 45 fabrics, 45 iron, legendary parts

Thus, in order to craft a certain armor, you will need certain clothes, this will complicate the crafting and add variety to the armor crafting. Will encourage the player to buy the right item, find it in the loot, or hope that the right book will drop that allow

A question for Allan. That is about design of game content. I deal with programming.

On 7/7/2024 at 7:06 PM, jetZeds said:

The small bears seem to have the reach of the large bears and its kinda annoying 

Allan fixed it.

On 7/8/2024 at 4:17 PM, Old Crow said:

Any reason traders still sink into the floor on occasion in 1.0?

Because I have not looked at it, since the last time I tried to fix it.

On 7/8/2024 at 5:09 PM, dcsobral said:

Two questions for TFP.

1) What was the change that is causing sleepers to wake up without immediately going after the PC? Is this change on the release notes and I missed it? This looks like something @faatal would implement.

2) Are you guys looking at what armor people are using and what armor people are not using to balance it out before stable?

It is from these changes I made back in May (should be in the notes):

Added AI active sleepers will sometimes be awake and wander (1 in 10).
Added AI wandering sleepers use spawn position as center of wander.
Added sleeper volume trigger type Wander.

On 7/8/2024 at 5:39 PM, zztong said:

@faatal When using RWG to generate a new world, I see this message in the console...

INF LoadPrefabs 1598 of 1959 in 0.028

Is there any way to know which of the 1959 - 1598 = 361 Prefabs did not load and why?

I mean, I don't know if they're all Vanilla, all my modlet, or a combination of both. (Has to be a combination of both, but which ones?) Without knowing which ones, I can't move on to the next question of why they didn't load. (Such as being not tagged for any district, perhaps?)

Debugging stuff I added. No more detail than that as it would spam the console.

On 7/9/2024 at 7:27 PM, FramFramson said:

lol so much for fixing the old problem of every town being the same country town (and thus overusing the same POIs).

I really don't know why cities are forced out of the forest biome. It really doesn't break anything or change the game all that dramatically if you have cities in a friendlier climate.

Oh well, there's already multiple mods to remove the restriction at least.

I plan on adding more RWG options when I find the time.

@faatal

ever considered a system of player specific trolling?

maybe a community based voting system or whatever that would deliver fun results like

jawoodle - 500% chance of stun baton in loot

glock 9 - double cornmeal chance ( he gets a lot already lol)

gns - a % chance the paint colours change on horde night

quite like a wind up lol

5 hours ago, Old Crow said:

Will rain coming through the ceiling ever be fixed? Still an issue in 1.0.

Yeah, this annoys me too.  I have a feeling that changing it would also change how one block opening in the ceiling allows enough sunlight for a small underground farm.

i posted about the quest progression limit on the other thread but wanted other's thoughts on the subject...

image.png.68bcf117769ab343780bd4b684cad810.png

you can change it up to 8 but what is the point of limiting us to 3 per day to begin with?image.png.64b5a7f095a0d1abaa8283c2c32d88ba.png

32 minutes ago, GRITTY said:

i posted about the quest progression limit on the other thread but wanted other's thoughts on the subject...

image.png.68bcf117769ab343780bd4b684cad810.png

you can change it up to 8 but what is the point of limiting us to 3 per day to begin with?image.png.64b5a7f095a0d1abaa8283c2c32d88ba.png

The trader progression is probably balanced around players doing maybe 1-3 quests per day. It doesn't mean you can't do more quest per day, but this limits progression to what they are balancing around and at least removes one incentive to string quests endlessly together to rush to tier 5 quests (and then possibly complain that tier5 is too difficult with double barrel shotgun).

As usual in a sandboxy game as a veteran player you can change that limit or roll with it, your choice. But novice players have this as a safe guard so they don't get surprised into thinking they can do tier5 POIs on day 14 just because those are offered to them too early.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, meganoth said:

The trader progression is probably balanced around players doing maybe 1-3 quests per day. It doesn't mean you can't do more quest per day, but this limits progression to what they are balancing around and at least removes one incentive to string quests endlessly together to rush to tier 5 quests (and then possibly complain that tier5 is too difficult with double barrel shotgun).

As usual in a sandboxy game as a veteran player you can change that limit or roll with it, your choice. But novice players have this as a safe guard so they don't get surprised into thinking they can do tier5 POIs on day 14 just because those are offered to them too early.

isn't that the point of the skulls showing a person how dangerous a POI is?  in my opinion it is another way that the devs want to dictate to people how they should play as opposed to how they want to play.

Edited by GRITTY
spelling (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, GRITTY said:

in my opinion it is another way that the devs want to dictate to people how they should play as opposed to how they want to play.

.. By giving us an option to decide that for ourselves?  .. Right. Shame on you, Fun Pimps. 🙄

.. Seems to me they're giving the power to whoever hosts your server.. but what do I know?

15 minutes ago, GRITTY said:

isn't that the point of the skulls showing a person how dangerous a POI is?  in my opinion it is another way that the devs want to dictate to people how they should play as opposed to how they want to play.

Sure, skulls would tell a novice that it gets more dangerous, but the game would still tell him you are now allowd, therefore ready for tier5 while he isn't.

Yes, the devs "dictate" to players in multiple ways how they should play. That you can't just get an M60 for 2 dukes from the trader at day 1 is another "dictate" from the devs. Or that you don't have 1000 steel blocks at day 1.

But look at all the ways you can circumvent such limits: The progression limit can be easily changed in settings and the creative menue allows you to get an M60 for free anytime you like. So don't give me some bull*** about a dictate, you can do whatever you like in this game as a veteran. If you are in any way hindered to play like you want it is on you.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, Mister Forgash said:

.. By giving us an option to decide that for ourselves?  .. Right. Shame on you, Fun Pimps. 🙄

.. Seems to me they're giving the power to whoever hosts your server.. but what do I know?

You know what we don't have a choice in? Zombie spawns!!!