Does the "find acid" perk book actually do anything?

Feycat

1 minute ago, RipClaw said:

It only works with lootable medical cabinets. Open it, close it and then hit it with the axe. The loot drops out and cabinet changes to the non lootable  state. If you are lucky you now have acid in your inventory.

Thanks, I'll try this! I've been just wrenching or breaking any medical object (medicine cabinets, wall first aid kits, hospital beds/monitors/IVs, etc)

As the description of Wasteland Treasures Vol 3 states...

"Adds a chance to harvest acid from cars, medical equipment, and acid barrels."

"Medical equipment" is pretty vague though I will admit. Medical Cabinets, med piles, and chem piles are all working for me in A22. The probabilities may be a bit too low on the piles. Also, in reference to what RipClaw was saying, players shouldn't have to fiddle around that much to get the loot AND the harvest.
I'll make a note to see about reworking this for A22.

Thanks for the insight!

15 minutes ago, schwanz9000 said:

"Medical equipment" is pretty vague though I will admit. Medical Cabinets, med piles, and chem piles are all working for me in A22. The probabilities may be a bit too low on the piles. Also, in reference to what RipClaw was saying, players shouldn't have to fiddle around that much to get the loot AND the harvest.

Thanks for the insight!

How about adding a chance to scrap a battery for acid and/or lead?  With the chance loosely correlated to battery quality level.

On 10/4/2023 at 5:43 PM, 8_Hussars said:

How about adding a chance to scrap a battery for acid and/or lead?  With the chance loosely correlated to battery quality level.

We can already scrap batteries for lead, or pop them in the forge for it.
Might be nice to have it randomly give us acid once in awhile but acid is too abundant in most circumstances to find and/or buy so it shouldn't be an issue unless you're trying to find enough for 3+ people.

On 10/5/2023 at 5:23 AM, schwanz9000 said:

Thanks for the insight!

Just to second what RipClaw said.

IME...

Full Medical Cabinets have a chance to drop acid when destroyed.

Empty Medical Cabinets don't give acid when destroyed.

So if you take all the loot out of the Medical Cabinet you cannot ever get acid from them.

18 hours ago, RStarphoenix said:

We can already scrap batteries for lead, or pop them in the forge for it.
Might be nice to have it randomly give us acid once in awhile but acid is too abundant in most circumstances to find and/or buy so it shouldn't be an issue unless you're trying to find enough for 3+ people.

Making the decision to scrap a battery for a chance at acid is the balancing factor.  For internal consistency; likely the game can only provide one outcome that of lead or acid.        

My experiences has not been your experience.  Not everyone chooses to play with the traders providing ready access to key gated resources.  Even then, once a player has chem station(s) they generally ignore acid anyway.

Acid is a late game limiting factor to candy once a player has supercorn.  Acid is not that abundant in every play through; especially with the book and the medical equipment mechanic needing some tweaking.

49 minutes ago, Morloc said:

Destroying the empty medicine cabinets used to be a pretty reliable source of acid. I (think?) I recall these no longer dropping acid.

They still drop acid but only when they contain loot. As soon as they are empty, they no longer drop acid.

5 hours ago, RipClaw said:

They still drop acid but only when they contain loot. As soon as they are empty, they no longer drop acid.

I wonder if carrying some worthless item (like a bone) and popping into the medical cabinet, then looting it and destroying it with only the bone in it would yield the acid since it would not be empty.

11 minutes ago, RStarphoenix said:

I wonder if carrying some worthless item (like a bone) and popping into the medical cabinet, then looting it and destroying it with only the bone in it would yield the acid since it would not be empty.

I think that was why RipClaw was suggesting to open/close the container before breaking it, as it sounds like it would cause the items in the container to drop out as a bookbag but you would still get a chance of getting acid

1 hour ago, NekoPawtato said:

I think that was why RipClaw was suggesting to open/close the container before breaking it, as it sounds like it would cause the items in the container to drop out as a bookbag but you would still get a chance of getting acid

This is exactly what happens.  You open it, smack it with the axe, loot the bag that drops for everything that was in the cabinet.

11 minutes ago, Ramethzer0 said:

I used to be able to loot acid from sinks, but I cannot recall the last time that's happened.  It feels likes its been a while.  Has this been patched out?

Acid is still possible to be looted from sinks. Still in loot.xml

<lootgroup name="groupSinks03" count="1">
	<item group="groupToolsT1Wrench" loot_prob_template="low"/>
	<item name="resourceAcid" count="1" loot_prob_template="med"/>
	<item name="meleeWpnBladeT1HuntingKnife" loot_prob_template="veryLow"/>
</lootgroup>

Just tried looting a bunch of sinks and found two

20 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Yeah I think it was you that pointed this out in another thread.  It sounds like a bug based on the response from one of the developers