Honey and Anti biotic nerf

Realism51

17 hours ago, Realism51 said:

I have no problem with infection being there, just that the drop rate for honey and ways to fight it went way too low, I legit scoured the city I was in and went outside it trying to find anything, and nothing was there

The drop rates increased at the traders and only decreased for stumps in POIs.  So there are even more opportunities to mitigate infection.

RNG is a harsh master otherwise every play through would be the same.

It is possible to overcome.  No trader play through, multiple infections the first three days, managed to overcome 18% infection via stumps.  Currently, have 1 herbal and 3 pots of honey at Day 13 from loot/stumps.       

14 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

This has been mentioned, but doing one's best to reduce getting hit helps out a lot.  I removed the ability of food to heal HP in my game, and reduced the effectiveness of healing items.  So getting hit in game impacts me more.

In the early game this works but in the mid to late game the feral and radioactive cops introduce a new problem. The feral cops spit 3 streams and the radioactive 5, so they can hit you multiple times even if they only vomit once. This is how I catch an infection in most T6 quests. My advice is to start making your own antibiotics.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

4 hours ago, RipClaw said:

In the early game this works but in the mid to late game the feral and radioactive cops introduce a new problem. The feral cops spit 3 streams and the radioactive 5, so they can hit you multiple times even if they only vomit once. This is how I catch an infection in most T6 quests. My advice is to start making your own antibiotics.

Yeah but by that time, you should easily have stockpiled antibiotics / herbal / honey if you made sure to purchase those from the traders when you see them available, rather than waiting until you need them

17 hours ago, RipClaw said:

このゲームの敵は遠距離攻撃準備中に攻撃を受けると遠距離攻撃をキャンセルするため、準備動作に入ったら攻撃するだけで対処できます。猶予は2秒くらいあるはずなので、結構簡単です。
これはハードコードされているため、オーバーホールmodにおいても有効な戦術です。
混戦になりがちなBMHにおいては爆発物を投げつけるのがいいでしょう。

(google translation)

If an enemy in this game is attacked while preparing for a long-range attack, the long-range attack will be canceled, so you can deal with it by simply attacking once the enemy is ready. There should be a grace period of about 2 seconds, so it's pretty easy.
This is also a valid tactic in overhaul mods since it is hard-coded.
In BMH, where there is a tendency for melee to occur, it is best to throw explosives.

18 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Now see this is why I don't really like to use content mods (although it's more a QOL thing).

So the current vomit bull@%$# with how it just rips through blocks and I just can't bring myself to use only solid cubes for a base, I'm probably one of many that uses Jaxteller's mod (THANK YOU!) but it could be argued that an unintended side effect contributes to infection being a joke and I have all these fairly useless antibiotics late game.

I mean today on a t6 I did get infected, but that's because I fell off a terrace (it was really narrow, m'ok) to the street, and into a pack of zombie dogs lol (fear not, I ended their suffering) and then because of course I don't carry antibiotics, and I mean you never find anything when you actually need it (I'm lucky I scrounged duct tape for a splint for the broken arm). I did find a honey on the 8th floor, but it wasn't enough by then. So when I got home I had to use some. Leaving me with only...10 stacks...in 1 of my 3 bases...so that was my exciting day. I know, cool story bro, right?

In one of my first games, I got infected and didn't know about honey in stumps at the time so I was hitting every Pop-N-Pills I could find in every town I could get to without finding any (this was A20).  I ended up at over 75% infected by the time I finally figured out honey in stumps and found a blue pill for sale.  Even after all that, I was able to cure myself.  :)

On 9/15/2023 at 5:16 PM, Realism51 said:

Not my style. I only Use a shovel

You know, I wondered if that was you lol.  Ain't heard from you in a good while.  I suppose part of the blame rests on me due to burning down my twitter account.

To your credit, shovels and tools in general have gotten a buff. 

On 9/16/2023 at 1:05 AM, RipClaw said:

Has anyone noticed that some zeds have a more consistent ability to infect more than others?  I've not looked at actual code, but the feel i get is that dogs and hazmat zeds infect me way more often than anything else.

5 hours ago, Ramethzer0 said:

Has anyone noticed that some zeds have a more consistent ability to infect more than others?  I've not looked at actual code, but the feel i get is that dogs and hazmat zeds infect me way more often than anything else.

I have looked at the XML files. The Hazmat zombie has a ten times higher chance to infect you than the base zombie. The dog doesn't seem to have a bonus here but the vulture has twice the chance to infect you.

I just started a new game and at low game state did not even have honey available for sale -- I had access to two traders, both Jens. So when I died taking risks looking for antibiotics, I was glad that the disease reset. 

Also, BTW, I play at a low difficulty level -- slowing down the zombies changes the game. I very much appreciate that the settings allow me to play an easier game while many of you are playing an insane difficulty game. I call my game difficulty "10 days and chill" while most of you are playing the title "7 days to die". 

Edited by avalonnn (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, avalonnn said:

I just started a new game and at low game state did not even have honey available for sale -- I had access to two traders, both Jens. So when I died taking risks looking for antibiotics, I was glad that the disease reset. 

Also, BTW, I play at a low difficulty level -- slowing down the zombies changes the game. I very much appreciate that the settings allow me to play an easier game while many of you are playing an insane difficulty game. 

LOL, I got on a server today for the first time in ages, was playing by myself and kept dying and finally was like @%$# this @%$#, I'm done.

I been playing with headshot multiplier and reach mods for too long to play without anymore.

On 9/17/2023 at 2:08 PM, RipClaw said:

I have looked at the XML files. The Hazmat zombie has a ten times higher chance to infect you than the base zombie. The dog doesn't seem to have a bonus here but the vulture has twice the chance to infect you.

Thanks for the heads up... imma be a lot more careful then.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently doing a "No Traders" playthrough and I must admit it is much harder to deal with infections when starting out. Not so much when playing with traders unless you happen to get infected on day one.

It hasn't been mentioned yet but there is also a POI with a farmers stand in front of it with a sign that says "Honey". I found three or four jars of honey there in stumps. The stump drop rate seems to be higher there than stumps found in the wild. Unfortunately the bee hives in the POI didn't produce any honey when chopped up :(.

I've put a skill point into Physician in hopes of increasing the drops of Medicine skill books so I can get to herbal antibiotics quicker.

Another thing that might help others is to craft padded armor A.S.A.P. when starting out as it reduces the chances of getting infected a little bit.

I want the infection to be worse a fast, and you die to rise up as a zombie with your loot. :)

Anyone that dies to infection, starvation and thirst needs to play something else; honestly these "survival" elements are really tame now unlike the single digit alphas ...

15 hours ago, manOyore said:

The stump drop rate seems to be higher there than stumps found in the wild. Unfortunately the bee hives in the POI didn't produce any honey when chopped up :(.

As of A21, stumps in POIs do not give you a better chance of getting honey.  The drop rate is the same for wild or POI stumps.  You just tend to get more close together so it feels faster, especially in that POI that has something like 5 or 6 stumps.  Bee hives do not drop honey, which doesn't really make sense.

7 hours ago, Riamus said:

As of A21, stumps in POIs do not give you a better chance of getting honey.  The drop rate is the same for wild or POI stumps.  You just tend to get more close together so it feels faster, especially in that POI that has something like 5 or 6 stumps.  Bee hives do not drop honey, which doesn't really make sense.

vurt da furk?  lol  I wonder if that will be changed, because wow that's a missed opportunity right there considering there's a POI for every mainstay resource a person might need.

Unless the rationale for this was to get people to raid more pop n pills, which also makes some kinda sense.

Edited by Ramethzer0 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Ramethzer0 said:

vurt da furk?  lol  I wonder if that will be changed, because wow that's a missed opportunity right there considering there's a POI for every mainstay resource a person might need.

Unless the rationale for this was to get people to raid more pop n pills, which also makes some kinda sense.

Well, raiding Pop N Pills has a very low chance of getting any antibiotics, so that's probably not the rationale.  I think they reduce POI stumps because it was too easy to get honey from them.  And I think bee hives just don't have honey as an option for them.  No idea why.

Just yesterday I was starting a new playthrough on permadeath/insane and got an infection and day 1.... I ran to the woods and spend about 6 in game hours chopping stumps and found about 3-4 honey and was able to stop my infection. Something seems off with Op's numbers. I am playing the latest Exp. build.  

Started playing in A9 and don't think I've ever had an infection death. That said I don't hesitate to look things up on-line when I run up against something for the first time, so the learning curve never killed me in that manner. The infection does seem to progress faster than it did years ago, in my latest game I got infected in the middle of a quest on day two, and was past the point of a bottle of honey to fix pretty quickly. The trader had some pills though which I was easily able to afford, which saved me the time scrambling looking for stumps.

On 9/14/2023 at 5:04 AM, pApA^LeGBa said:

I mean that´s kinda the whole point of infection. To be a threat.

If we roll back they could basically remove infection aswell as there was never a real threat to it because you usually had enough honey before you even got infected. I have several thousand hours, and infection was never an issue not even back then when i started. It was basically only something clogging up your inventory with honey and antibiotics if you found them. Nothing more.

Now it´s different, i did have to spend a lot of time to find pop and pills stores and Jen in order to not die.

Ah, remembering the days before traders where you'd get infected early days and piller up and suicide if you couldn't find ABs before the stamina drain was just too much to handle. Why waste all your food and water? lol

On 10/3/2023 at 7:58 AM, Riamus said:

I guess I got incredibly lucky then. I got three out of the 5-6 stumps and one in the final loot box. I bet that won't happen again, lol.

I found the book that gives a chance for honey when chopping trees. The first tree I chopped down after finding that gave up a honey and I found an herbal antibiotic in an airdrop the same day. I still haven't unlocked the herbal antibiotic recipe yet despite maxing out physician. It looks like it won't matter by the time I do unlock it.

As mentioned earlier, I think the best approach is to be proactive and chop stumps until you find some honey first and then start clearing POI's, etc.. 

3 hours ago, manOyore said:

I guess I got incredibly lucky then. I got three out of the 5-6 stumps and one in the final loot box. I bet that won't happen again, lol.

I found the book that gives a chance for honey when chopping trees. The first tree I chopped down after finding that gave up a honey and I found an herbal antibiotic in an airdrop the same day. I still haven't unlocked the herbal antibiotic recipe yet despite maxing out physician. It looks like it won't matter by the time I do unlock it.

As mentioned earlier, I think the best approach is to be proactive and chop stumps until you find some honey first and then start clearing POI's, etc.. 

Yeah, that just lucky.  I've had that happen as well.  And on the flip side, I've gotten one honey out of 10+ stumps.  So it's just up to RNG.  But, on average, you should get 1 honey every 5 stumps (it's 20% chance).  Note that for average to work out, you need a lot of data.  Chopping 20 stumps isn't likely to give you exactly 4 honey.   But chopping 200 is going to probably be somewhat close to 40 honey.  And chopping 2000 will be even closer to 400.  Just how RNG and averages work.

As far as trees, I think it's only something like 5% chance and you can get the honey in the middle of chopping down the tree, not just at the end.  So honey from trees isn't a great source, but trees are far easier to find than stumps.  Of course, they take longer to chop down, so still not necessarily the best option.  But it's a great thing when you need to chop down trees anyhow to also have a chance of getting honey.

I've never crafted herbal antibiotics.  I never felt like that cost was worth it.  I have better uses for the ingredients in that recipe.  I just wait until I can make regular antibiotics.  Of course, I rarely need to make any because I usually find enough stuff just in normal looting.