Broken bow mechanics

Reporter

Have you ever tried to shoot zombies with bows in your own game ? You can't properly shoot them, besides if you manage to properly aim after all hard trying arrows pass through zombies in 6/10 cases. I'm astonished which year are you developing the game, you can't make proper bow mechanics. Please try to play with a bow in your own game, just try.

Edited by Reporter
Misspelling (see edit history)

Bow is my primary weapon even late game for non bloodmoon. 

You realise that unlike guns, the arrow drops in flight right? 

There was a bug earlier where if you were too close, the arrow would pass through zombies, but if that's 6/10 of your shots, you're really not using it right.

If the game was really bugging 6/10 shots, there wouldn't be all the videos of people testing bows at different ranges, showing amazing long distance shots etc. It'd all be complaints and showing how bad it is. 

I definitely miss shots at close range, but at night in the wasteland, I level up by sniping with my bow/crossbow while sneaking. I can 1 shot most non feral/radiated enemies with a headshot once my sneak powers are leveled and my critical hit maxed.

A very important effect of ALL weapons is that they have spread. That spread is displayed through the targetting or aiming circle that shrinks when you aim. If for example you shoot for the head and the circle is twice as big as the head of the zombie then you will only have a 50% chance to hit.

You can shrink the spread through aiming but also through perking into that weapon (not 100% sure though), and getting better quality weapons and specific mods.

Get yourself a composite bow and you will see that you will be hitting much more consistently than with a primitive bow.

Dudes I don't know from which universe you all are, but I'm asking devs just try to play with a bow for a while, for example in Skyrim I never miss a shot, this game has a real problems, so just devs try your own game and check the problems.

I am in the universe of a guy that had 1000 hrs in game since A6. like Meganoth said, as you get better bows/crossbows headshots get much easier. As you level you bow skill your aim speed and your hit radius gets much better.

The difference between how easy to aim a primitive bow and get a head shot vs. a nice crossbow is night and day. 

Low level bows absolutely suck in this game  and they should. You need a place to go equip effective wise when you get better gear . That is my assumption about low level bows. They would be way overpowered otherwise.

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

Just now, Reporter said:

Dudes I don't know from which universe you all are, but I'm asking devs just try to play with a bow for a while, for example in Skyrim I never miss a shot, this game has a real problems, so just devs try your own game and check the problems.

We are from that universe where the developer decides how his game works and from that same universe where 7D2D is not Skyrim.

The developer already gave you a hint that this is not a bug, they moved your bug report to the "not a bug" section.

9 minutes ago, warmer said:

I am in the universe of a guy that had 1000 hrs in game since A6. like Meganoth said, as you get better bows/crossbows headshots get much easier. As you level you bow skill your aim speed and your hit radius gets much better.

The difference between how easy to aim a primitive bow and get a head shot vs. a nice crossbow is night and day. 

Low level bows absolutely suck in this game  and they should. You need a place to go equip effective wise when you get better gear . That is my assumption about low level bows. They would be way overpowered otherwise.

My dude this is not an idle mobile game when an aim accuracy is a skill or better weapon adds an accuracy. I aim actually right and arrows pass through bodies, this is not right. Don't tell me from what universe you are o don't give a @%$# about your buggy universe, this post made for devs an devs only. So don't mess please

Just now, Reporter said:

My dude this is not an idle mobile game when an aim accuracy is a skill or better weapon adds an accuracy. I aim actually right and arrows pass through bodies, this is not right. Don't tell me from what universe you are o don't give a @%$# about your buggy universe, this post made for devs an devs only. So don't mess please

I have 5000 hours in this game since A1 so don't mess with me dude with your little 1000 hour

5 minutes ago, Reporter said:

In the real world and 7D2D, ranged weapons have dispersion.

The kind of bow and arrows are not stated.  Yes a primitive bow with stone arrows can be a challenge due to arrow drop.  However having to compensating for arrow drop quickly goes away.  Even a primitive bow with iron arrows pretty much hits what its aiming at at closer ranges.  A wooden bow with iron arrows does hit what its aiming at.

Note all the above is without even perking into bows...

1 minute ago, Reporter said:

44 minutes ago, meganoth said:

A very important effect of ALL weapons is that they have spread. That spread is displayed through the targetting or aiming circle that shrinks when you aim. If for example you shoot for the head and the circle is twice as big as the head of the zombie then you will only have a 50% chance to hit.

You can shrink the spread through aiming but also through perking into that weapon (not 100% sure though), and getting better quality weapons and specific mods.

Get yourself a composite bow and you will see that you will be hitting much more consistently than with a primitive bow.

I intentionally wrote it under bug section to make devs see. Its not a bug it's broken ass mechanic. This post is for devs

Edited by meganoth
Removed offensive content (see edit history)

This game you made for solo play or with couple of friends right. So the leveling system sucks, loot system sucks. Guys this is not a mmorpg. Not telling the problems with bows. I really aim correctly(but assist needed because the heads of the zombies stupidly move and it's hard to aim) but the bows pass through the bodies this is completely unacceptable, so don't listen your community. If you made bows intentionally to suck it sucks, so change it the way they dont suck.

Every bow in this game will have different flight mechanics based on projectile speed. that will completely alter the drop/flight path from bow to bow. Once you get a crossbow, headshots become incredibly easy because of the lack of drop until you get 10-20m or more out depending on your quality.

And yes, your bow skill 100% affects your aiming. Maybe try reading the description of the skills and notice the reticule size change with skill level/movement/bow quality.

Your frustration is making you blind to what we are saying.

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

I play with bows almost exclusively and do not have any issues using it. Yes, there is "spread" in the accuracy, but that spread becomes tighter and tighter with higher-quality bows and arrows. There is nothing wrong with the bow play in this game.

2 hours ago, Reporter said:
2 hours ago, Reporter said:

I have 5000 hours in this game since A1 so don't mess with me dude with your little 1000 hour

I have nearly 6400 hours in the game, and yes I have been playing since the beginning, too. I play with bows, and I don't have a problem with them either, along with many others here. Granted, the early primitive bow is poorly accurate and not very powerful, but you get better skills and gear as you progress the game. 

If you really do have 5000 hours in the game and are still having issues shooting the bow vs. a player with 1000 hours in the game then maybe it's an operator error. 

Perhaps try sticking with the pipe weapons in the early game until you can obtain a higher tier and/or higher quality bow with better accuracy. 

Funny that people who want to complain about this game like to compare it to Skyrim as if the games were anything alike.  This isn't Skyrim and isn't meant to be Skyrim.

Aiming in one game isn't always going to be the same as in other games.  This game, low quality bows are meant to be more of a challenge to aim than high quality bows.  There isn't anything wrong with that design choice.  As mentioned, Skyrim helps you a lot with aiming. This game expects you to learn how to do it yourself.

And I can pretty much guarantee the devs aren't going to pay much attention to anything you say when you write a post like that.  There is a huge difference between posting that bows are hard to aim and miss a lot and can they fix it vs posting that devs don't know what they are doing and the game sucks and.... blah blah blah.  You'll only get anywhere with the first method.  And in this case, this is by design.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Riamus said:

Funny that people who want to complain about this game like to compare it to Skyrim as if the games were anything alike.  This isn't Skyrim and isn't meant to be Skyrim.

Aiming in one game isn't always going to be the same as in other games.  This game, low quality bows are meant to be more of a challenge to aim than high quality bows.  There isn't anything wrong with that design choice.  As mentioned, Skyrim helps you a lot with aiming. This game expects you to learn how to do it yourself.

And I can pretty much guarantee the devs aren't going to pay much attention to anything you say when you write a post like that.  There is a huge difference between posting that bows are hard to aim and miss a lot and can they fix it vs posting that devs don't know what they are doing and the game sucks and.... blah blah blah.  You'll only get anywhere with the first method.  And in this case, this is by design.

Dude that is my opinion. You can have a different one. 

Edited by Roland
Removed insulting language. (see edit history)

6 hours ago, AH64_Jimbo said:

I have nearly 6400 hours in the game, and yes I have been playing since the beginning, too. I play with bows, and I don't have a problem with them either, along with many others here. Granted, the early primitive bow is poorly accurate and not very powerful, but you get better skills and gear as you progress the game. 

If you really do have 5000 hours in the game and are still having issues shooting the bow vs. a player with 1000 hours in the game then maybe it's an operator error. 

Perhaps try sticking with the pipe weapons in the early game until you can obtain a higher tier and/or higher quality bow with better accuracy. 

If the game only sucks with a low quality bow they must fix the low quality bow, because I aim correctly and the arrow passes through the zombies body. That's not correct and not acceptable with any type of arrow. That is my feedback for the devs and doesn’t concern other players. 

Edited by Roland
Removed insulting language. (see edit history)

There are some hitbox issues, particularly with sleeping vultures, but bows work fine.  I use them in all my plays to at least some extent and rarely miss.  

Considering no one else seems to be having this problem, seems like you are doing something wrong no matter how long you have been doing it.

I have to wonder why you haven't posted about this before if you've been playing for over 5000 hours.  After all, you only joined 6 hours ago.  If you've been having printed for so long, why are you only posting about it now?  It seems to me that you are exaggerating the number of hours you have played.  After all, if you had played that long and used bows for even a tenth of that time, you should have no problems aiming by now.

Edited by Crater Creator
removed accusation of trolling (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Riamus said:

I have to wonder why you haven't posted about this before if you've been playing for over 5000 hours.  After all, you only joined 6 hours ago.  If you've been having printed for so long, why are you only posting about it now?  It seems to me that you are exaggerating the number of hours you have played.  After all, if you had played that long and used bows for even a tenth of that time, you should have no problems aiming by now.

Bows were good in the past, don't remember what alpha, but they were ok, the problem is i didn't use a bow for a while, yesterday just wanted to use bows and saw this. This passing through arrows are unacceptable for every kind of bow, because it atually collides with body and passes through it. If they made this intentionally it's a very bad decision.

Edited by Crater Creator
quote was edited (see edit history)

1 hour ago, FA_Q2 said:

There are some hitbox issues, particularly with sleeping vultures, but bows work fine.  I use them in all my plays to at least some extent and rarely miss.  

Considering no one else seems to be having this problem, seems like you are doing something wrong no matter how long you have been doing it.

Yeah, there was even a thread about the hitboxes a while ago with video evidence, but I can't be bothered to try and find it.  That's the only problem I've had with bows, is when arrows mysteriously pass through the zombies without actually hitting.

Don't forget that the arrow rest mod improves spread so getting one of those installed on your bow is always a bonus.  Also note that standing still, crouching, and aiming the bow reduces the spread multiplier for improved shots.

Walking and running makes it worse, so if I am in a situation where I need to back peddle but trying to get off a shot with my bow, I am aiming center mass.

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

Don't forget that the arrow rest mod improves spread so getting one of those installed on your bow is always a bonus.  Also note that standing still, crouching, and aiming the bow reduces the spread multiplier for improved shots.

Walking and running makes it worse, so if I am in a situation where I need to back peddle but trying to get off a shot with my bow, I am aiming center mass.

Dude thanks for the tips but I still have my opinion that the bow is bad and needs a dev to fix. 

Edited by Roland (see edit history)