(Probably) new Armor system

Matt115

Well  after  news about LBL we learn that TFP still want to redesign older systems. So before released of  A20 we got some info about ... let say idea of outfit system instead actual armor system. This should be something like "outfits will be giving some bonuses"

So what do you think about that guys? 

I think it is bad idea -  3 reasons

1. Art style - there is few concept arts about that - and  for me old design looks like F1 and F2 - i mean by this post apo with few crazy ideas while new outfits styles looks like... hm parody of post apo. I read one of quote of concept artist ( not conneted with TFP) that concept artist have to make arts as dark as possible because character designer will make this much more lighter... and if this quote is true - Geek outfit looks like joke so ingame outfit would looks even more... silly

2. Well which type of  armor you wear depend if you want to be better protected or more moblie - heavier or lighter armor. But bonuses connected can influence about that a lot - so there is 2 option 1. Heavy and light variant of each sets but... it could looks bad - for example farmer set because this game isn't fantasy medieval game like skyrim right? 2. You want to focus on shotgun? ok but you have to wear heavy armor, you want to shot with bow? light outfit only. So this could be annoing too

3. "outfit jugglery" - well we don't know how many parts will have each outfit but... this option can create boring and silly situations  for example - if you want to clear a poi you use "worker" outfit because sledgehammer bonus. After that you came back to you bike and change your outfit into "hobo" outfit to get loot bonuses. Spend time for doing some thing can be annoing - mining? diffrent outfit. Crafting? diffrent outfit etc. So you will A.  have few outfits in your inventory and change after while and loose slots doing by this B. have outfits in you storage and spend a lot of  time just running for new outfit C. people will don't care about bonuses after some time so outfits sets will be useless.

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

I just hope there will be 2 variants for each set. Not wearing heavy armor ever is basically the only thing that is true for all my playtroughs. For like 99% of all my playtime i used light armor. Only on very special occasions with really crazy POI`s from compopack i used heavy armor. Actually just 2 POI´s.

If they force me to use heavy armor in order to not have a disadvantage by not using it, i can just hope that mods will take care of that problem. But i might be the minority here.

When announced it looked like some sets where light and some heavy armor. Really hope that changed meanwhile.

I really dislike the removal of clothing. I was actually hoping for more variety in future alphas, right now everyone looks the same. And with the sets, style goes out the window as everyone will wear what he can to get the best advantages. Wich will lead to the outfit jugglery. Wich sounds pretty annoying and tedious. 

One one hand they always say people who min/max their gamestyle do ruin their own fun, on the other hand they make a armor system that promotes exactly that playstyle. It´s weird.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

12 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I just hope there will be 2 variants for each set. Not wearing heavy armor ever is basically the only thing that is true for all my playtroughs. For like 99% of all my playtime i used light armor. Only on very special occasions with really crazy POI`s from compopack i used heavy armor. Actually just 2 POI´s.

If they force me to use heavy armor in order to not have a disadvantage by not using it, i can just hope that mods will take care of that problem. But i might be the minority here.

When announced it looked like some sets where light and some heavy armor. Really hope that changed meanwhile.

I really dislike the removal of clothing. I was actually hoping for more variety in future alphas, right now everyone looks the same. And with the sets, style goes out the window as everyone will wear what he can to get the best advantages. Wich will lead to the outfit jugglery. Wich sounds pretty annoying and tedious. 

One one hand they always say people who min/max their gamestyle do ruin their own fun, on the other hand they make a armor system that promotes exactly that playstyle. It´s weird.

Yeah i think older system is better. Well if bonuses are big "they always say people who min/max their gamestyle do ruin their own fun" but they will do this same because 20% more dmg is a lot

10 hours ago, ElCabong said:

They've been working on a new armor system for quite a long time now. I don't want to comment on something I don't know anything about but the current system has some problems that need to be fixed.

We know something - it's nothing 100% comfirmed but it was topic during A20 dev diary. Well actuall system is rly great

22 hours ago, Jinx_DG said:

Speculative bashing. Looking for might be flaws. Please don't. Wait until you see, test, and use it first before tearing it apart.  

No. Just no. You don't have to test something to know if something will be good or bad - CODFATHER is good example about it - he told that cod will be ... worst that terrible before cod was released and... he was right. Well i waste a lot of money because i bought Vanguard but ... this give me knowledge that even desciption is good enough to know if  something will be good or not 

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

No. Just no. You don't have to test something to know if something will be good or bad

It is not that easy.  Since the game consists of multiple different elements, a change to those elements can affect how something is going to be.

For example, TFP cut all durability's of tools by 50% (everyone moans how this is a nerf) - at the same time, they reduce durability loss through use by 40% and increase drop rates of repair kits - overall a buff on the system.

TFP is not going to give us a complete list of all the changes so we don't know how everything interacts.  They also release the changes to the testers, who play and give feedback which the development team tweaks before it even becomes experimental for us.

And if any of you claim to be the 7D2Dfather, I hope a demolisher blows up in your face.

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

It is not that easy.  Since the game consists of multiple different elements, a change to those elements can affect how something is going to be.

For example, TFP cut all durability's of tools by 50% (everyone moans how this is a nerf) - at the same time, they reduce durability loss through use by 40% and increase drop rates of repair kits - overall a buff on the system.

TFP is not going to give us a complete list of all the changes so we don't know how everything interacts.  They also release the changes to the testers, who play and give feedback which the development team tweaks before it even becomes experimental for us.

And if any of you claim to be the 7D2Dfather, I hope a demolisher blows up in your face.

I mean by him as example you don't to play to know if something will be good or now. When i saw first new model of gun i was worried about that and... i was 100% that rest of them will looks. We saw concept arts like this one  image.jpeg.d1959f66eeb3842d7ec33b1e029e7e03.jpeg

This is offical concept art not fanart.  so yeah we know good enough to know if something will be good or not. Few years ago we get info about diablo immortal... and it was failure, Now we get Diablo immortal and... it's failure as expected. 

So - a lot of things can be expected. Change of statistic is just... change of statistic and have to be tested. But redesignof items, system etc now - screens or arts + knowledge from diffrent game let you know if something will be good or not.  

5arONnb.png

Here is better quality art + notes. Do you think this looks cool?

Don't know really what to think about pigeonholing you to use certain weapons with certain armor. It's just like classes now do 🤔

Maybe there should be more slots on the armor (in general), so you can put in different (new) mods that give you weapon related stuff (like the bandolier does), but keep the armor clean of those stats.

12 hours ago, Maharin said:

You have to admit that the shin armor tucked into the socks is a nice touch.

No no no dear friend.   That should be  clothed - perfect for evey situation , protection against zombie and your wife and 100% deppresing enough ^^

Budowlaniec - Ministerstwo śmiesznych obrazków - KWEJK.pl

30 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

At least they are not missing one shoe...😅

Jokes aside, I'm sure everyone will.have their favorite outfits.  Not all of them look like the intellect guy.  😁

Laz man...this is not working this way 😕 Honesty.. how rest of people mean more that you in FPS because most of time you see how   diffrent people looks like . So - you can wear what you think suits to post apo while few  people will wear pink rabbit suit right? That's why cod looks so bad -you can use a cold war special agent skin but you will fighting againsts japan skeleton ghost or  ghost face. I know west players have diffrent taste but there is soo many good west post apo - TLOU,DG,NMRIH,THE DIVISION ETC so there is so many inspirations how to make it's good. Damn  if TFP want some inspiration i can spend few days looks for arts in pinterest art station ( i can't drawing sorry) to find how it could looks like

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

At least they are not missing one shoe...😅

Jokes aside, I'm sure everyone will.have their favorite outfits.  Not all of them look like the intellect guy.  😁

The real problem is here, that the game is getting more and more of a loot shooter instead of a RPG/Survival. The armor plus the new crafting skills push hard into that direction.

Go out and shoot and loot wearing the right pieces if you want to progress, people who liked to build/mine, take care of the farm and cooking are basically effed. (Yes those people do deal with zombies and don´t just hide, screamers, wandering hordes, they do kill a lot also) And to top it off the armor additionally motivates people to do a min/max playstyle. Wich will make MP all the same for everyone if you don´t wanna fall behind.

I might be utterly wrong, but i guess i am pretty close with the general direction the game is going. Just hope that both things can be fixed by the modding community if things are really bad.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

2 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

The real problem is here, that the game is getting more and more of a loot shooter instead of a RPG/Survival. The armor plus the new crafting skills push hard into that direction.

Go out and shoot and loot wearing the right pieces if you want to progress, people who liked to build/mine, take care of the farm and cooking are basically effed. (Yes those people do deal with zombies and don´t just hide, screamers, wandering hordes, they do kill a lot also) And to top it off the armor additionally motivates people to do a min/max playstyle. Wich will make MP all the same for everyone if you don´t wanna fall behind.

I might be utterly wrong, but i guess i am pretty close with the general direction the game is going. Just hope that both things can be fixed by the modding community if things are really bad.

Well... honestly if they decided to make this more like loot shooter it woudn't be so bad because at least we could have a lot of types of guns , weapons etc. Now we have both disatvanges - focus on  little diffrence in stats and low number of tools items etc. Yeah this will force into min/max and using bike ( well bike don't need fuel right?) to play accetable enough ( well gamestage is forcing to min/max too)

1 hour ago, Apocalipservice said:

Yeah, that bummed me out when I saw it yesterday. The day had started out so well too. *sigh* Good gods, it's terrible. 

Yeah...  honestly i'm rly... sad when i see this - for me visual art style is more imporant that " fun" - a plague tale have so beatiful style but meh gameplay but that's why story in this game is so good , valheim can be boring because you just make this same thing like cutting tree over and over and over but it's so beatiful that you want to play

58 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@Matt115 We could get more guns without making it a loot shooter. A lot of mods have more different guns without turning this into a loot shooter.

Yeah , i know - i mean by this - it's looks like loot shooter sometimes but.. you finding this same weapons. I offten ended with few this same guns even this same quality. They saying that more guns is pointelss because will be working similiar. But honestly - i think 6 T1 smg would be much better that smg just with diffrent colour

As I’ve said from what I know I have very little excitement for the proposed armor changes and I think the few models they showed off look ridiculous.

I want more clothing/armor choices. My perfect would would be finding or being able to craft tons of different jeans, pants, shorts, camouflage or BDUs same with shirts and shoes and hats or helmets (I’d like to have an option to hide the helmet so we can see each other’s faces). I want to be able to craft junk or scrap armor and have it appear different as in a stop sigh chest piece or a school crossing sign or whatever. I want no armor to look identical unless you really, really want it to look identical.

I want armor to protect less and wear out quicker. I want top tier armor have to be found in loot.

dyes/skins and so on are fine for mods to the armor.

1 hour ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

As I’ve said from what I know I have very little excitement for the proposed armor changes and I think the few models they showed off look ridiculous.

I want more clothing/armor choices. My perfect would would be finding or being able to craft tons of different jeans, pants, shorts, camouflage or BDUs same with shirts and shoes and hats or helmets (I’d like to have an option to hide the helmet so we can see each other’s faces). I want to be able to craft junk or scrap armor and have it appear different as in a stop sigh chest piece or a school crossing sign or whatever. I want no armor to look identical unless you really, really want it to look identical.

I want armor to protect less and wear out quicker. I want top tier armor have to be found in loot.

dyes/skins and so on are fine for mods to the armor.

Yes but this have sense - i will give example - hl1 hecu soldiers looks diffrent but "logical" and suitable, metro stalkers too. It can be done "realistic" and logical -  any normal person would wear sigh - 1. unpractical (.... long story) 2. it's maybe 2 mm of metal 3. visible as hell . How could iron armor looks like? 

Stalkers | Metro Wiki | Fandom

or

image.png.039d2fbcaaa64ad50f5ab5685db4e92c.png

This looks more realistic and practical right? And armors have to looks similiar because... that's a point of them. Police use similiar armors, military too - so every police riot armor will be this same, soldiers ouftits will be similiar with small changes like diffrents mags, hats, tools etc but still very similiar. And even older thing will be similiar - dunno hispanic armor. Ofc civilian outfits have more variants but nobody will not wearing clothes looking like anime character but like....  typical Tim from local bar in small town or hunter. 

20 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Yes but this have sense - i will give example - hl1 hecu soldiers looks diffrent but "logical" and suitable, metro stalkers too. It can be done "realistic" and logical -  any normal person would wear sigh - 1. unpractical (.... long story) 2. it's maybe 2 mm of metal 3. visible as hell . How could iron armor looks like? 

Stalkers | Metro Wiki | Fandom

or

image.png.039d2fbcaaa64ad50f5ab5685db4e92c.png

This looks more realistic and practical right? And armors have to looks similiar because... that's a point of them. Police use similiar armors, military too - so every police riot armor will be this same, soldiers ouftits will be similiar with small changes like diffrents mags, hats, tools etc but still very similiar. And even older thing will be similiar - dunno hispanic armor. Ofc civilian outfits have more variants but nobody will not wearing clothes looking like anime character but like....  typical Tim from local bar in small town or hunter. 

Seems logical to me, I don’t like the look of that so much but this is simply preference. I would prefer far more normal clothes with better armor looking like scraps of stuff hemmed together (think road warrior type things) maybe looted from bandits or whatever.

Again what you showed fits the game setting and look so I’d have no problems with it.

I do think high level armor protects too well all players should be a bit more squishy.