Base Ideas for Bloodmoon?

Spadaa

Best idea is usually to have a seperate base for living/crafting and one for the bloodmoon. Unless you want that thrill of potentially loosing all your stuff and you see it as a challenge.

I would look on youtube, it´s easier to explain via video. Search for hordebase alpha 20. You should get a ton of videos. If you want to cheese it, look for the corridor base.

Well; it's not impossible in any way. I often make a tower for a base + horde base. Minimum footprint is something like 7x7, but usually about 10x10. At first, while the hordes are easy enough, the storage/crafting area is on the 2nd floor. Later on the second floor gets opened up into a backup fighting area and the crafting things get moved to 3rd or 4th floor.

At start I tend to make it meleeable; most of the face-height blocks are partial blocks like corner poles, corners may have solid blocks to give a more realistic look. Adding some electric fences to suitable spots makes it last for a loong while. Later on, explosives and steel.

One necessary feature is to make a lip of blocks above the zeds to prevent them from climbing to the second floor by piling on one another, especially while the crafting area is there. A set of bars is nice for that, but any block will work. I strongly recommend making it two wide before long, as the hordes grow some stragglers start getting piled up pretty far from the wall.

I often keep my horde handling on the surface with a ladder tube down to my living/storage/crafting space. Things are separate, but it feels like it's all in one. My design on the surface for handling the horde always changes, but whatever it is, I almost always place my farm on the roof. Over time I like to make underground tunnels branching out in every direction from the underground portion of the base, leading to other important locations and sometimes secondary bases. I keep a few minibikes down there. It's a lot of work, but building this has a few advantages. It keeps me busy at night, leaves me with a ridiculous amount of resources, I won't lose all my stuff due to a collapse if the horde overwhelms the base, it results in easy navigation around the map, and I can conveniently drop things off directly into my storage. Most importantly, I love playing dead is dead, so this seems to be easiest this way for me to stay safe at night as I conquer the map.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2022 at 5:59 AM, pApA^LeGBa said:

I would look on youtube, it´s easier to explain via video. Search for hordebase alpha 20. You should get a ton of videos. If you want to cheese it, look for the corridor base.

This one is best idea so far. YouTube is great resource for me as the game is unforgiving and challenging which helps me to find many answer of challenges.

I think there are really two kinds of bases. The first type is to just survive horde night. The second type is to make the most of the horde night self delivering XP and loot bags. 

One of the guys I play with prefers the first type. Low risk, low rewards. Designed to slow down the zombies, plenty of traps to weaken/kill them and thin them out, then kill the rest.

I prefer the second type. The base is designed to corall the Zombies into a tight spot to make them easier to kill, and have fall back safe spots so if they break through you can retreat. Minimal use of traps (less XP and needs repairing which is time you're not killing), nothibg to slow the Zombies down, because otherwise you might not get a full spawn.

I've reached the stage now that it's pretty hard to kill all zombies in a wave, because they can't spawn fast enough, even when I am killing them en masse with frag rockets. I'm wondering if making a bigger base that has traps on the edge that will kill the weaker Zombies (although not many of those any more) and weaken the ferals/irradiated ones might serve me well. Much of the delay now is for them run from the spawn point to the choke point where I can kill them. Taking them out closer to the spawn point might help. 

Anyone know if there is a way to count how many Bloodmoon Zombies you kill? I am a metrics person. You can't manage what you can't measure after all!

Edit: Thinking about it, there is a 3rd kind. Some people like AFK type bases. Bases with so many traps and so much redundancy, you just stand in it as bait and the traps do the rest. They would be fun to design and build, but in my opinion, a bit boring to play. I might try that once I feel I've squeezed everything out of my max XP base.

9 hours ago, Pernicious said:

Edit: Thinking about it, there is a 3rd kind. Some people like AFK type bases. Bases with so many traps and so much redundancy, you just stand in it as bait and the traps do the rest. They would be fun to design and build, but in my opinion, a bit boring to play. I might try that once I feel I've squeezed everything out of my max XP base.

Heh, that would be me later stages.  60 dart traps. (15 rows, 2 on each end of the step), electric fences on each stair.

It works quite well, but yes, is rather boring.  (you have to break it into 2 circuits, so for some fun, you can turn the front half off,

let the zed pop to the top, shoot some, then, when ya gotta reload, turn the front back ON.  KZRRT!  THWAP! THWAP!  :D  )

Mind you, nothing seems to work fully on the vultures, so them ya gotsta shewt.

90,000 darts to feed it, so that's a ton of mining, not to mention all the steel that goes into the base itself.

(you can't really just afk, but can ignore everything except the vultures)

Tested on  insane, 64 zeds per.  SOLO!    get several players going, and I expect they may get a few up the steps to the main landing.  dunno.

On 4/14/2022 at 10:58 PM, Pernicious said:

Anyone know if there is a way to count how many Bloodmoon Zombies you kill? I am a metrics person. You can't manage what you can't measure after all!

Easiest way - Just before the horde starts:  Tab to open inventory > click on the Players sub tab (far right, crowd icon) > make a quick note of Enemies Killed.
After the horde ends, repeat the steps.  Subtract the before number from the after number.  BOOM!  Zeds killed during horde night.  👍

Edit to add:  If you are using any mods with NPC's?  NPC's usually get logged as Players Killed, so you might have to keep track of that separately..

5 hours ago, Evil_Geoff said:

Easiest way - Just before the horde starts:  Tab to open inventory > click on the Players sub tab (far right, crowd icon) > make a quick note of Enemies Killed.
After the horde ends, repeat the steps.  Subtract the before number from the after number.  BOOM!  Zeds killed during horde night.  👍

Thanks mate! I knew that counter was there, never thought to use it for that purpose. 

Depending on how hardcore I'm running, I almost always do a ramped kill corridor as my main jam. It's super simple, effective and cheap to build, even for horde one. I've had one hold out for several hordes, once upgraded to concrete and the hatches to the super nice ones. 

It depends on how much you want to game the AI pathing. Kill corridors are king in my experience. The key is ensuring the ramp/means to you cannot be broken easily or they path in other ways that may not work out well and completely throw off your plans. I've had this happen and wasted a doubleshot of learnin' elixir when they began pathing somewhere else I could not see and had to wait for them to break a hole to start sorting them out. 

Archived