What is the most disturbing (or interesting) things did you witness in this game

Sproingo

While dismembering a zombie dog, let's just say that the zombie dogs are anatomically correct.

And before you accuse me, I was not looking for it, it was right there.... just like when Phoebe was dating a guy with short shorts from Friends.

1 hour ago, Sproingo said:

While dismembering a zombie dog, let's just say that the zombie dogs are anatomically correct.

And before you accuse me, I was not looking for it, it was right there.... just like when Phoebe was dating a guy with short shorts from Friends.

so, the preview images from the dev stream releases(and I think on twitter as well) has some high res renders and they were vieawable in those pictures as well

For me, one interesting aspect is how the Pimps create "stories" in various POIs, like when you get in one and see bedrolls, iceboxes, clothes on the floor, like it was used as a shelter for previous survivors who were likely killed or went missing. I love discovering those and try to imagine how was life going on for those unknown people. It's a very clever immersive detail that the devs maintain all over Navezgane and it's brilliantly executed, like the following scene I find very well done in its simplicity.

In some townships, there's a car accident scene at an intersection, on the main street. There's the wrecks of two cars who smashed into each other. They visibly caught fire after, as the vehicles are blackened from the flames, as well as the pavement. There's half a corpse stuck under one wheel, suggesting that one person was inevitably ran over while crossing the street, while the two other drivers flew in panic, seeing the zombies taking over the town. Which is kinda disturbing in itself. There's also two burnt zombies waiting there, well camouflaged in the wreckage, with their black/brown/charcoal color schemes.

It's a nice combination of storytelling, game and level design. I usually don't wrench those cars to keep the scene and its immersive elements intact 😄

I like the house PoIs with dark secrets. One of them was built over graves and somebody's been digging up the caskets in the basement, and one of them seems to have housed a cult or something.

I do think it's maybe a little *too* common in RWG for ordinary-looking houses to turn out to be dungeons just in terms of believability but they are cool spots nonetheless.

In navezgane, at the bottom of the canyon there’s a car sticking up, nose deep in the ground and (I think) a body nearby, as if they drove off the top of the canyon and ejected on impact.  If you’re not careful you can easily drive into the canyon as it’s kinda fun to drive on the edge.

Also a few? Pois have doors that are “barricaded” by having items in front of them, but not locked. You tear it down and there’s usually a little room in there, and it feels like someone holed up there.

On the roofs of some POI’s there’s sometimes this “corpse” that’s sitting up. From a distance/dark you’ll likely shoot it before you realize it’s not a zed. That corpse is usually set up (stuff around it) to look like it was a survivor.  I wish they had a lot more “corpse blocks” so there was a lot more variation  that could be done with these little scenes.

On 3/15/2022 at 6:05 AM, Kyonshi said:

For me, one interesting aspect is how the Pimps create "stories" in various POIs, like when you get in one and see bedrolls, iceboxes, clothes on the floor, like it was used as a shelter for previous survivors who were likely killed or went missing. I love discovering those and try to imagine how was life going on for those unknown people. 

😄

Yes! The way items/objects are laid out makes you feel like you really walked into a place where people were hold up. The POI designers have done an amazing job in that regard.

I could talk myself in suspension of disbelief, and believe the closets.  But wooden boxes in a warehouse is......Nah, no way.

I would not put them in there, I would not lay them down to sleep or sit. But if I open door to room.....BAM! In your face!  So I've read the way it was that everyone was running away outside to wait for zombies, these is where the RNG would be a good thng, as there could be a damn good chance you run into a horde that happens to "walk by"

2 hours ago, Kyonshi said:

What would you do with this if you were a game deigner then?

I'd just scatter them around the house, plus add a few that are just shuffling about... or better yet, place fewer of them in the house and make some spawns outside, so it's like they heard you and are coming in. Maybe.

1 hour ago, eXSe said:

I'd just scatter them around the house, plus add a few that are just shuffling about... or better yet, place fewer of them in the house and make some spawns outside, so it's like they heard you and are coming in. Maybe.

I see. But the idea behind the decision to hide Zs in closets and such is of course to have an element of surprise and sustain an entertaining aspect of tension and impending danger, but also to to lighten the technical burden of having zombies already loaded in houses and freely roaming.

I agree that Zs shambling around in POIs as opposed to them appearing once you set a foot in the room would be better, but that would mean an heavier toll on the game's memory capacities and on our rigs. That's a compromise I can live with, since we already have fluctuations in performances that we can't really circumvent.

You don't really need to spawn zombies outside since there's those already roaming around in biomes.

This one time... there was a bunny.

I know what you're thinking, "SCARY STORY, MAN!"  But it gets worse.

I'm standing near a wall and also near about 3 land mines with a mini horde of zombies coming my way and I'm pretty sure they don't know I'm there yet.  This was several alphas ago but I don't remember which one.  Anyway, the bunny stops right near a land mine, and of course it is the one nearest to me.  It looks at me then looks at the land mine.  It looks at me for a longer time and then at the land mine again.  Then it looks at me a third time and proceeds to take a step forward onto the land mine while staring at me with what I assume was intense hatred.

Aha!  I managed a panicked move away and lived through the blast, barely.  About a half second after I was thinking "Hell yeah!  I'm alive!" I got hit by a zombie coming along the wall that knocked me into another land mine.  That was all the encouragement I needed to die.

The moral of the store is that bunnies are evil, soulless rodents.

21 hours ago, eXSe said:

For me, the most disturbing thing is that all the people decided to crawl into closets and false ceilings right before they died.

I frequently complain about that to my friends.   No matter how much I see it, it still just amazes me how irrational that is.   People from 'The time before the zombie nightmare' must have lived like rats in walls and in ceilings.

10 minutes ago, Ramethzer0 said:

I frequently complain about that to my friends.   No matter how much I see it, it still just amazes me how irrational that is.   People from 'The time before the zombie nightmare' must have lived like rats in walls and in ceilings.

Nonsense... the final stage of infection right before you turn is to find a hiding place.  It's the sedentary butterfly effect.

8 hours ago, Kyonshi said:

I see. But the idea behind the decision to hide Zs in closets and such is of course to have an element of surprise and sustain an entertaining aspect of tension and impending danger, but also to to lighten the technical burden of having zombies already loaded in houses and freely roaming.

I agree that Zs shambling around in POIs as opposed to them appearing once you set a foot in the room would be better, but that would mean an heavier toll on the game's memory capacities and on our rigs. That's a compromise I can live with, since we already have fluctuations in performances that we can't really circumvent.

You don't really need to spawn zombies outside since there's those already roaming around in biomes.

The counter argument with that is that is while it might make a compelling game mechanic ( particularly in 7 days), in my opinion it really estranges me further away from my sense of survival immersion, which this game does not get to control.   The Fun Pimps get to control the fiction and the narratives of the story and the zombie element, this is a given.

But, when the world before had all the same treatment and medical materials that we have in the current stage of the game - but somehow, during the apocalypse that didn't help?   Zombie attacks maim and damage humans, but somehow while infected or worse - they hauled their sorry for themselves butts into a ventilation duct in the ceiling of a pizza parlor so they could just die and reanimate?

Theorize with me a moment.  Would humans actually *do* that?  Do pigs and dogs get to climb ladders without the actual anatomy to make that sort of thing true?  Can human bodies, mutated/undead/magical or not, be strong enough to rip through massive steel reinforced walls?   These are some of the arguments I wade through when I clicked on various game toggles.   I would rather wade through a massive horde of things I could only get headshots in on to destroy, than to believe for one moment that a zombie has become super human for whatever reason.   It's easier to create a sense of desperation knowing my enemy is relentless and innumerable, and I have 3 bullets left in my pistol.

I wont tell anyone else how to enjoy their game, but this is how I view it personally.

10 minutes ago, Maharin said:

Nonsense... the final stage of infection right before you turn is to find a hiding place.  It's the sedentary butterfly effect.

So, you can nail yourself into a crate without help, while infected and suffering some form of body trauma?   Please show me the video of how this is done.

Edited by Ramethzer0 (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Ramethzer0 said:

So, you can nail yourself into a crate without help, while infected and suffering some form of body trauma? 

On 3/16/2022 at 10:29 PM, eXSe said:

For me, the most disturbing thing is that all the people decided to crawl into closets and false ceilings right before they died.

6 hours ago, Ramethzer0 said:

6 hours ago, Maharin said:

^^^ This last quote sums it up. I've been clean for 15 years so it's with experience that I can say those who are out of their minds from doing the bad DO look for, crawl into, and hid in all the places mentioned above. And yes, this includes boxes. (No nails needed and No, I'm not going to say how. It's info not needed). 

I imagine that the zombie infection isn't exactly "natural" and that while trying to cure a "flu" pandemic our best and brightest in Gov F up'd, and the combination of the cure drug and whatever infection mutated turning those who took the drug to fight the flu into "out of their minds" closet hiding zeds. 

Just my take on it. Also, one more thing.... anything is possible if you let yourself believe. If you can believe in zombies then those same zombies hiding shouldn't strain the imagination to much I would hope. :)

16 hours ago, Ramethzer0 said:

The counter argument with that is that is while it might make a compelling game mechanic ( particularly in 7 days), in my opinion it really estranges me further away from my sense of survival immersion, which this game does not get to control.   The Fun Pimps get to control the fiction and the narratives of the story and the zombie element, this is a given.

But, when the world before had all the same treatment and medical materials that we have in the current stage of the game - but somehow, during the apocalypse that didn't help?   Zombie attacks maim and damage humans, but somehow while infected or worse - they hauled their sorry for themselves butts into a ventilation duct in the ceiling of a pizza parlor so they could just die and reanimate?

Theorize with me a moment.  Would humans actually *do* that?  Do pigs and dogs get to climb ladders without the actual anatomy to make that sort of thing true?  Can human bodies, mutated/undead/magical or not, be strong enough to rip through massive steel reinforced walls?   These are some of the arguments I wade through when I clicked on various game toggles.   I would rather wade through a massive horde of things I could only get headshots in on to destroy, than to believe for one moment that a zombie has become super human for whatever reason.   It's easier to create a sense of desperation knowing my enemy is relentless and innumerable, and I have 3 bullets left in my pistol.

My comment that you quoted was done regarding 2 things : game design/gameplay and technical performance. Not speculation about the lore.

Of course it doesn't make sense to see zombies locking themselves up in closets or pulling their asses up into a false-ceiling to die. If that would be just of me, id keep only Sleepers that are lying on the floor or standing up.

But even there, we can also theorize in the opposite way: what if closet zombies were actually tennants of the POI they're in, that went hiding from the Zs after having been bit by one, not knowing that it would kill and turn them into the living dead? Even those in the ceiling of that pizza joint could also have been infected people who went up hiding in high spots, out of reach of zombies, something that we would all logically do?

That animals can climb ladders at 90º, I can also agree that it's a bit pushed too far. That zombies can smash their way through reinforced concrete, it literally makes no sense. Still, some tales with zombie thropes do make them having improved stamina and endurance. Zs are relentless, they don't get exhausted, they dont need to rest and they will punch a metal door and press against it in masses until it breaks under the pressure, even if it takes 2 weeks. It's a bit streched in 7DTD but there's reasons why they eventually break through all materials.

This is again done in regard of gameplay. The Pimps don't want the players to ever feel 100% safe. Can it hinder the immersive process? Of course it can. But this is where you have to understand that nothing can be perfect, you switch to suspension of disbelief and roll with it. Or not, it's always a choice.

Edited by Kyonshi (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Kyonshi said:

My comment that you quoted was done regarding 2 things : game design/gameplay and technical performance. Not speculation about the lore.

Of course it doesn't make sense to see zombies locking themselves up in closets or pulling their asses up into a false-ceiling to die. If that would be just of me, id keep only Sleepers that are lying on the floor or standing up.

But even there, we can also theorize in the opposite way: what if closet zombies were actually tennants of the POI they're in, that went hiding from the Zs after having been bit by one, not knowing that it would kill and turn them into the living dead? Even those in the ceiling of that pizza joint could also have been infected people who went up hiding in high spots, out of reach of zombies, something that we would all logically do?

That animals can climb ladders at 90º, I can also agree that it's a bit pushed too far. That zombies can smash their way through reinforced concrete, it literally makes no sense. Still, some tales with zombie thropes do make them having improved stamina and endurance. Zs are relentless, they don't get exhausted, they dont need to rest and they will punch a metal door and press against it in masses until it breaks under the pressure, even if it takes 2 weeks. It's a bit streched in 7DTD but there's reasons why they eventually break through all materials.

This is again done in regard of gameplay. The Pimps don't want the players to ever feel 100% safe. Can it hinder the immersive process? Of course it can. But this is where you have to understand that nothing can be perfect, you switch to suspension of disbelief and roll with it. Or not, it's always a choice.

my "belief":

1 zed hiding = they went there to hide and died (injury (already infected/bite)

many zeds hiding ( like in attic): Zeds attacked a person/people trying to hide and got them, then all zeds stayed up there.

zed standing on single platform on top of rafters in attic: I have no explanation for this :)  I need them to have a bit more things around them (just a bedroll) for me to want to believe they died up there.