Did The Big New Church POI / Do Silencers Do Anything?

OneManStanding

I did the new big church poi - the one with the crypts. At least I think it's new, I just might not have done it before. Doing the new POIs is fun because you don't know what's ahead of you - I've got a lot of the older POIs pretty well memorised.

In any event, it was good - a nice wander around, first down into the basement, through the crypts, up through the church, across the ruined roof to the spire ... it's a peeve of mine when streamers playing 7 Days to Die hack their way right to the loot, or get lost in bigger POIs all because they don't follow the lit route. Anyway, I attracted some attention when I used my silenced AK. I'm talking zombie dogs, a dire wolf and a cougar (I'm in a snow biome) and pretty much all the zombies (including ferals) in the local area. It was pretty intense, hearing the zombies snarling and bashing their way in and all the footsteps and not knowing entirely where they were coming from. In the end, I was crouched in a corner on the high balcony and had to gun down this conga line of oncoming enemies from the stair well.

I'm at the point I've got radioactive zombies so I've had to up my game from my crossbow and I was needing more firepower than my shotgun could dish out at times. I know guns affect the heatmap when used, but it was only one shot which activated all the bad stuff in the area. Are silencers simply less beneficial on bigger guns?

On 2/25/2022 at 7:35 PM, OneManStanding said:

Are silencers simply less beneficial on bigger guns?

Correct.  I recall there was a thread about this a while back.

If I am remembering correctly, the silencer on anything but the basic pistol results in less effectiveness of stealth but also adds a dmg debuff as well.  There is a perk book that removes this damage debuff but I think it names only basic pistols directly.    It still has some use in rifle builds, but if you're putting it on shotguns or anything automatic - it's really not that promising.

30 minutes ago, Ramethzer0 said:

Correct.  I recall there was a thread about this a while back.

If I am remembering correctly, the silencer on anything but the basic pistol results in less effectiveness of stealth but also adds a dmg debuff as well.  There is a perk book that removes this damage debuff but I think it names only basic pistols directly.    It still has some use in rifle builds, but if you're putting it on shotguns or anything automatic - it's really not that promising.

Are you saying the silencer on an ak or shotgun would actually reduce stealth compared to no silencer? It may not be as effective as on a pistol, but the silencer being even detrimental to stealth would surely be a bug

1 hour ago, Ramethzer0 said:

...the silencer on anything but the basic pistol results in less effectiveness of stealth but also adds a dmg debuff as well...

I knew about the damage debuff - kind of par for the course in shooters a silencer reduces your damage. And I am getting the picture that a silencer on anything bigger than a pistol is just not as effective; not absolutely worthless but clearly not as effective.

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Are you saying the silencer on an ak or shotgun would actually reduce stealth compared to no silencer? It may not be as effective as on a pistol, but the silencer being even detrimental to stealth would surely be a bug

Except there are no silencers for an AK. They are suppressors meant to hide the muzzle flash. It will dampen the sound but it will still be audible at a distance. I am aware you can use subsonic rounds but they cycle like poo. 

Edited by Ornias (see edit history)

Silencers work on my sniper rifle anyway. I have a tower that is 20 blocks high, and on some nights will sit up there sniping zombies without them noticing. I wondered if the silencer or the distance away from the zombies was at play. So I took the silencer off and they immediately knew where I was and came running. Tried a few times with the same result. So while I agree that the pistol benefits the most, the silencer does seem to make the sound of the gunshot not travel as far.

12 hours ago, meganoth said:

I suppose I should clarify that its not the single shots from long arms that's the problem.  On semi-auto and doing double taps you might be okay.   It's those oh-crap-moments where opening up effectively renders any attempts at stealth to be moot.   I find it to be mostly useless in shotguns because there's better mods to fit in those slots anyway.

You can stick a silencer on a SMG but you render its benefits useless the moment you start spraying.

5 hours ago, Ramethzer0 said:

I suppose I should clarify that its not the single shots from long arms that's the problem.  On semi-auto and doing double taps you might be okay.   It's those oh-crap-moments where opening up effectively renders any attempts at stealth to be moot.   I find it to be mostly useless in shotguns because there's better mods to fit in those slots anyway.

You can stick a silencer on a SMG but you render its benefits useless the moment you start spraying.

Correct. And I would guess even intended that way. After all there is a mechanism in the game that any noise in quick succession adds up. Guns with big magazine size have a massive advantage over all other weapons, I would wish they had even more disadvantages to counter that.

And I can't even reconcile spray-and-pray with stealth in my mind, those two concepts should not mix if at all possible. If I was watching such a situation in a movie that would surely be the time where I would turn to my friends and make fun of the script writer.

I've tried a silencer on an SMG in prior Alphas and it works but really hurts the SMGs effectiveness. The range penalty makes the damage drop off rapidly  when combined with the damage penalty and it definitely isn't quiet. So you can use it but you really shouldn't without a burst mod and being patient which is counterproductive to the situations you'd need an SMG.