Least useful Air Drop

Rotor

To date for me has been any time I get the Farm package 😕

I mean if it gave 10 to 15 pots it would be  useful against the odds.  So far I have used them all for roof top decor.  Maybe some day the pots will feed the buzzards and I can shoot them while they aint looking.

It used to be fun. We would hear the air drop noise and get excited and run to the nearest window, or get outside and look up. But every single time it has been a disappointment. We get garbage. We stopped caring. Occasionally we find them while wandering around. The worst?

I think there were 20 frame shapes.

Can we get some AI that looks at players inventories/chests and maybe OCCASIONALY picks something they don't have?

What's great about this is that somebody flew over and dropped this crate down on purpose. "They're having a really rough time surviving down there... Let's give them a single Tylenol in a crate we'll drop into the middle of a lake. That should help."

I like to imagine that they really are trying to help, and not that I'm the unwilling participant in some twisted game show, but sometimes you have to imagine really hard.

11 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

I like Farm Bundle 03...it has super corn seeds.  Other than that..I think I got a beaker once.

Honestly, the upgraded frame shapes are the worst to me...I hate building with blocks I can't pick up.

I love those, the make great fuel for the forges, campfire and Chem Station. Makes for a lot fewer trees I have to cut down :)

21 minutes ago, seagas said:

I love those, the make great fuel for the forges, campfire and Chem Station. Makes for a lot fewer trees I have to cut down :)

I tend to chop down lots of trees...my tree farm in my current world is 85 trees (kind of randomly...17 tree was all that would fit in the space I'm using, and then I expanded to 5 rows just because that was basically how many seeds I had when I started planting it.)

On 2/24/2022 at 9:16 AM, Vaxkiller said:

It used to be fun. We would hear the air drop noise and get excited and run to the nearest window, or get outside and look up. But every single time it has been a disappointment. We get garbage. We stopped caring. Occasionally we find them while wandering around. The worst?

I think there were 20 frame shapes.

Can we get some AI that looks at players inventories/chests and maybe OCCASIONALY picks something they don't have?

That pretty much sums it up.  Used to be, whoah that's the plane, air drop coming!  Stop everything and run like hell to find it, good stuff to be had and worth the effort.  When you could see the parachute.

Now I don't even bother looking at the plane.   Ranks right up there with looting a cafe or restaurant and not finding a single thing to eat.  Have the people writing code these days actually played the game?

I was starting to feel that Air Drops were pointless, until I got one with a Beaker. The bundles are sometimes less than exciting, like the ammo bundle, bit sometimes the food bundle is amazing.

It would be cool if you had a choice. I hate getting scrap armor bundles repeatedly, but since I found that hard to find beaker on my Day 25 drop, I will be checking every one.

Edited by hazymkii
grammer (see edit history)

You basically get the same stuff as in quest-tier rewards. Only that you can't select between 5 or more but usually just get a random one (with a low chance for a second one).

So the chance for a dud is high when even the 5 trader offerings you can select from only have 0-2 bundles you really want. But even in the long run, when you already have all you need, you can get lucky and get special weapon bundle with a quality 6 weapon.

It would be better to make something special out of it.  Same stuff as quest-tier rewards just makes it boring IMO.   

Thinking of immersion, what would you expect an air drop to provide, if this were an actual air drop in a zombie apocalypse? 

Would the fire/flare attract some zombies ? 

Edited by ChickenWings (see edit history)

1 hour ago, ChickenWings said:

It would be better to make something special out of it.  Same stuff as quest-tier rewards just makes it boring IMO.   

Thinking of immersion, what would you expect an air drop to provide, if this were an actual air drop in a zombie apocalypse? 

Would the fire/flare attract some zombies ? 

This is a great question, that devs or, otherwise modders should consider it.

I'll take a stab at an an answer.

a weapon with correct ammo, some medicine and some food. (randomized / level based)

omg that was hard.

I think airdrops are too weak now. But small redesign could help after implementing bandits:  plane drop 3-4 crates with diffrent quality (  civilian, police, military) . In first hour you can just take loot as normal but after 1 hour bandits will spawn near them(  how many depends on crate quality) and after 3 hours crate is looted by them. 

This would make this much harder so loot should be increased too - (at least 10 cans and  plants in civilian , drugs and  3 -5 random tools.) ( 250 random bullets and 3-4 guns, top tier food and drink in police  crate ) ( 500 bullets, 4-5 guns, armor , drugs and top tier food and drink in high number ) so this will be challege with big change to get something good

The least useful air drops for me have been... empty!  No loot at all.

On the one hand, it serves me right for playing on less than 100% loot.  But it feels like air drops are a special thing, and should be the exception to the rule.  They should never be empty, in my opinion.  The plane might as well not drop anything if reaching it is a complete waste of time.