How many taters do I need to plant with living off the land one so that when I harvest, I'll have enough to eat and plant 10 more?

ElCabong

Just got the seed schematic. It's part of my DNA now. And I know where there's lots of taters I haven't bothered because I'm living off of chicken bacon and eggs at present. But I always put two points into MasterChef. Got some pumpkins growing and I like to make pumpkin cheesecake. I always have plenty of beer, lol.

Still haven't decided on how many taters I need to plant. I'm thinking at least 10. Went through two harvests in the last game who played and that seemed to be working.  You can probably make up for a shortfall by buying potatoes and corn from a trader but that hadn't happened. I only have a two harvest sample though.

Kinda depends on your definition of "enough to eat" and the tolerance you have for potentially not getting 10 seeds. With LotL 1 your expected return per plant is 6.5 potatoes' worth. That is 4 guaranteed potatoes + 50% chance of a seed (worth 5 potatoes). 4 + (.5 x 5) = 6.5

With 10 plants, your expected return is 5 seeds + 40 potatoes. Use 25 of those potatoes to craft 5 seeds for replanting and you'll have 15 potatoes for eatin'. But that is expected, long-term results. Any particular harvest might be worse in terms of seeds given. Worst case - 0 seeds - you won't even have enough potatoes to replant. At LotL 1 there is no number of plants which can avoid that outcome. If you get zero seeds you'll have to replant fewer plants.

However many plots you plant, I'd store away enough seeds (or potato equivalent) to fully replant all of them, just in case RNG disaster strikes a couple of times in a row.

Well.. For the cost of 50 taters, you'll get 10x (4 + 5*0.5) = 65. That's 15 to eat per harvest. ~7 meat stews from memory. Given you harvest on the day they ripen, that should give about 2 stews per day (60 min). Basically enough. Random may mess with you, so keep spares.

(Damn Boid, just beat me to it .. :) )

23 hours ago, Boidster said:

Kinda depends on your definition of "enough to eat" and the tolerance you have for potentially not getting 10 seeds. With LotL 1 your expected return per plant is 6.5 potatoes' worth. That is 4 guaranteed potatoes + 50% chance of a seed (worth 5 potatoes). 4 + (.5 x 5) = 6.5

With 10 plants, your expected return is 5 seeds + 40 potatoes. Use 25 of those potatoes to craft 5 seeds for replanting and you'll have 15 potatoes for eatin'. But that is expected, long-term results. Any particular harvest might be worse in terms of seeds given. Worst case - 0 seeds - you won't even have enough potatoes to replant. At LotL 1 there is no number of plants which can avoid that outcome. If you get zero seeds you'll have to replant fewer plants.

However many plots you plant, I'd store away enough seeds (or potato equivalent) to fully replant all of them, just in case RNG disaster strikes a couple of times in a row.

23 hours ago, theFlu said:

Well.. For the cost of 50 taters, you'll get 10x (4 + 5*0.5) = 65. That's 15 to eat per harvest. ~7 meat stews from memory. Given you harvest on the day they ripen, that should give about 2 stews per day (60 min). Basically enough. Random may mess with you, so keep spares.

(Damn Boid, just beat me to it .. :) )

I knew there had to be somebody that could do the math. Lol  looks like 10 will be enough but I better have some backup.

I plant 100 tators and 100 corn get plenty of seeds , around 50 from harvest and seed out enough to make 100 and have pleanty of tators and corn to fill all 3 of our regular team mates with the meat they bring in.. Fat is the limiting factor on the stews.

I would keep growing your farm starting with 10 plots seed  what you need to grow those 10 and keep  putting in more plots till you feel you have enough to eat.

I get by with a farm of 9 potatoes, 9 corn, and 6 of various other things. I get 54 of potatoes and corn and on average get to keep about 30 of them - getting three to six seeds back every time. I've never gotten no seeds back at all... but if that happened then I would still be guaranteed - with Living off the Land 3 - enough fruit to replant the full 9 and have 9 left over. But the worst luck I've gotten has been only two seeds.

In my solo runs, I just run with 30 plots, 10 corn, 10 potatoes, 10 chrysanthemums.  I just craft Meat stew and red tea (for the +15% food benefit). I run with 3/3 LotL - I never consider this a waste of points because I build 7 str and 7 fort in most my runs anyways.  Also with 3/3 LotL, this aplies to wild crops and plants to, which is helpful when you redo tier 2 farm quests. A good tip, if you get a really good harvest, just make 1 or 2 more seeds extra and store them away just incase you get a bad harvest.

On 2/14/2022 at 9:12 AM, meganoth said:

The best supplementary source of potatoes and corn is not the trader but the farms on the outskirts of any town.

Having LOTL1 is a no-brainer for that (you get less produce back from wild plants, but no LOTL gives only 1 and LotL1 gives 2 per plant).

Yeah, I mark them on my map and don't start harvesting until I am either LoTL1 or 2.  If I can go long enough, I will wait for the second level of the perk to get that 50% chance of 1 extra each harvest.

It also depends on if I have unlocked the recipes that require the plants.