Blood Moon Zombie Bags

Rotor

Yes, that is what the 400xp is when I hit or their heads blow up, right?  Heck on a previous roll I got bags while they died on my wood spikes and I hid like a girl in my basement.

Come to think of it on D28 I only got 1 bag :/.

7 hours ago, Rotor said:

Yes, that is what the 400xp is when I hit or their heads blow up, right?  Heck on a previous roll I got bags while they died on my wood spikes and I hid like a girl in my basement.

Come to think of it on D28 I only got 1 bag :/.

how many are you killing?  keep track.  The drop chance is fairly low(I am too lazy to be SURE right this moment, but I believe it's around 20%) so if you are killing 8 or so, then yea there is a chance of you not getting any bags.   I know in my recent MP game(which was a fairly big fail) with 12 max(per person) on day 42 and we had probably close to 35 or so and the horde  lasted well into the morning(probably 8:30 PM on 90 min days) due to the base failing and a few people dying.    Perhaps 25 yellow, 10 blue, and at least 1 red bag.

5 minutes ago, Rotor said:

K, will try.  Just did D49 bloodmoon.  Zero bags again.  This is a solo game.  There were more than 8 zombies knock on the doors as I shot form top.  Only 1 for the spikes.

Are you saying that you only killed 9 zombies during the horde night?  If so I would say that is your problem lol.  We get plenty of loot bags during horde night but we are killing a few hundred zombies during the night and end up with 20-30 loot bags.

2 hours ago, Rotor said:

K, will try.  Just did D49 bloodmoon.  Zero bags again.  This is a solo game.  There were more than 8 zombies knock on the doors as I shot form top.  Only 1 for the spikes.

Game settings to look at:
#1 - Difficulty level
#2 - Your Game Stage
#3 - Loot percentage
#4 - Max Zombie spawns

And in the game code itself:  How long the loot bags persist.  With the vanilla settings, loot bags can (and often do, especially for the first wave or two) despawn before the end of the horde.

There are mods that can adjust the despawn time so that dropped loot bags will stay longer, or you can write your own simple mod to do that.

The loot bags will stick around for 20 minutes. On default settings that give you two until 6am to loot the very first bag that could have dropped from a blood moon zombie. If you've got longer day settings then it is entirely possible for some to despawn before dawn. The base chance for a loot bag drop is 2% I believe, it is definitely not 20%. You can improve this drop chance by completing the Lucky Looter book series, though I don't know what that takes the drop rate up to. I know I kill hundreds of zombies per blood moon in my solo game and have had to start looting bags during the horde because otherwise they fill up my kill corridor and then I can't see to shoot the zombies.

If you aren't getting bag drops and are killing hundreds of zombies then you might have corrupted game files or something and I would recommend wiping out your game files and downloading a fresh copy.

Got one on D56, with the first kill, none after.

Adverturer

I get about 20 Zs maybe less per horde moon.  I know they "dont" run away and I am killing them all hehe.

Anyways, I looted the bag around 4:30 am, so it persisted even though that kill was around 10:15PM.

Maybe I am not progressing fast enough or just bad RNG :).

I thought they were falling through the cobblestones as I have a basement under base for the sleep bag.  But there was nothing in there.

Anyways, least doesnt appear to be broke.

Edited by Rotor (see edit history)

20 Zs on a day 56 horde night is extremely low. I'm around day 45 and during my last horde I have killed over 400 Zs and they only stopped to spawn because it was 4:00 AM.

Killing hundreds of Zs during a horde night usually leaves me with around 20-25 loot bags in the morning. If you kill 20 Zs you should not expect to get even a single loot bag.

Either your settings are weird or your gamestage is low (press i and check) or something is bugged as I'd say a day 56 horde should get you more than 20 Zs.

Okay, I guess i need to find out how and what my game stage is. 

Player LvL 11 Gamestage 26.

This is only my 4th or 5th world and the others I never went past D35 as I figured out more things I would restart a game to do things "right".  I like this one because I havent died yet :), well other than when I was experimenting with unstable structures heh.

Does not having a bike at this time seem odd?  I looted a frame, but havent even sniffed a handlebar.  I do have two wheels, one a loot and the other I bought from the vendor.

I guess I should say I am a slow progresser.  I dont run to the hardest part of a game to get the latest and greatest right off the bat.  Well except FO2, I did do the "south quest" early on in that one :/.

Edited by Rotor (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, theFlu said:

All I have is .. "How?!" :)

Dunno, patience?  I dont engage more than one zombie at a time for the most part :).  I always fight backing away.  I dont run out at night.  I have stayed in the forest biome the whole time, except for my forays into the city.  I have 644 days before end game, no need to rush :).

If you mean the bag, one of them young looking zombies got tangled in a spike and I landed an arrow head shot.  

Lvl 11 too low for D56?

1 hour ago, Rotor said:

Player LvL 11 Gamestage 26.

This makes sense, though it is definitely a...patient...pace for leveling if you've already hit day 56! :) 

Level 11 + Days Alive 11 (capped to the player level) = 22 * Difficulty Modifier 1.2 = 26

And at GS26 the total # of zombies you can see in a blood moon is 99 (three waves of 33 each), so your expected # of bags after a full horde would be about 2. But if you are being patient during the horde and not trying to kill them as fast as possible, the waves can time out before they've sent their full 33 at you, so by 4AM you might only have encountered a small portion. If the horde goes all the way to 4AM and there are still zombies spawning at 3:59, then you definitely are not killing the whole horde.

In short, I think your bag drops are right in line. Gotta start killin' more zombies!

6 minutes ago, Boidster said:

This makes sense, though it is definitely a...patient...pace for leveling if you've already hit day 56! :) 

In short, I think your bag drops are right in line. Gotta start killin' more zombies!

Rgr, shooting as fast as my bow will let me hehe.

38 minutes ago, Rotor said:

Lvl 11 too low for D56?

"Too" low? Nah. I ain't judging.

"Absolutely mind-bogglingly" low? Yes .. :)

I ran some numbers based on A19 xp (assuming no change for A20);

You'd need ~150k XP for level 11

Only getting XP from normie zombies, that's ~380 kills

That's 7 kills a day. Or, 1 kill every 10 minutes of playtime. (60 min default days)

That's a pretty chill way of approaching the game; I had to boot up for comparison, I'm running a chill playthrough playing with an Axe as a main weapon; in that, I'm on day 27, with 2123 kills. That's 78 kills per day, or 1.2 per minute. This is my "chill" game, so you can somewhat imagine my surprise at 10x slower pace... :)

1 hour ago, Rotor said:

Dunno, patience?  I dont engage more than one zombie at a time for the most part :).  I always fight backing away.  I dont run out at night.  I have stayed in the forest biome the whole time, except for my forays into the city.  I have 644 days before end game, no need to rush :).

If you mean the bag, one of them young looking zombies got tangled in a spike and I landed an arrow head shot.  

Lvl 11 too low for D56?

If you are enjoying yourself then that is all that matters.  For some of us long time players it does seem very low compared to what we usually experience in our worlds though.  For example, on our current world we are on D25, we're each level 64 and have several thousand zombie kills each.  We play on 2hr days and have increased zombie spawns by 10x or more though for a bigger challenge.  We go out of our way to hunt down basically every zombie we see and will gladly wade into a horde of zombies with nothing but melee weapons lol.  This wasn't always the case though.  When we first started we were a lot more patient in our game play but after 1300 hours of game play you start trying to ramp up the difficulty to get that same thrill you used to get.  So enjoy the game however you want to.  Nothing wrong with playing the game with patience. 

So far not bored.  Hell, some times I spend a day rummaging through the UI to figure things out.  Next thing I look up is night time in game :).

In a way I dont want to get the hard zombies before I am ready.  I.e. No bike, no workbench, finally got a furnace, think today I will smelt some iron to build the so I can build a hammer.  I have 2 beakers :).  I do have pipe MG, but 7.62 is not abundant and can mfg yet.

I am beginning to think the story line is going to be something like "it has been 10 years since "the event" most of the world has been looted, all common items are hard to find, and the duke hates you..."