Is it just me, or do others get tired of the constant sexualisation of Jen in streams and youtube videos?

ricp

Spoiler

Disclaimer (because, sadly, I feel it'll need one):

So let's get this out of the way, I am not a virtue signaller, nor a SJW, I am asking this because I've noticed it a lot and I'm getting tired of it. I'm just interested if others are at the same place.

I watch quite a lot of 7DtD streams, both live and recorded, and there seems to be a consistent topic when streamers get to Jen - and it's sexual. Now I get it, we are all animals, it's natural to find people attractive, and this is a computer game so the 'person' they are 'objectifying' is not real so "no harm, no foul", right?

However it seems to be just about every male streamer does it to an extent. Now I am not calling those people out, nor will I name names, but it's just so tedious to hear people repeat the same old tropes. I'll not lie, I've actively been watching female streamers, not because women are in any way less sexual IRL, just that they don't feel the need to reference Jen's boobs the minute they appear on stream.

I really hope this thread doesn't get flamed, I honestly don't care if you do this or not, I'm saying for me, the viewer, it's getting pretty bloody old.

9 minutes ago, skippy0330 said:

I can assure you I don't do this,  but I agree, it does cater to the low brow, but like you said, you can tell of they're going to do it from the personality streaming.  Just don't watch it?

Yeah, not everyone does, and to be fair I honestly don't believe I have heard you ever say anything like that. (edit: And this gives me an opportunity to thank you directly for the content you've provided over the years)

The "problem", if it is one, is that some of the big hitter streamers definitely do.

In terms of "just don't watch", you are of course right, although it's a bit of a "throwing the baby out with the bathwater", as the trader interaction may be 30 seconds or so of a 30 minute video, and the comments themselves tend to be schoolboy humour - I'm not accusing anyone of misogyny here.

As I say, this isn't meant to be seen as me being some sort of SJW, it just gets tiring hearing someone mention something sexual every time they go to her. Considering that sexuality is fluid, you'd think that you might get some mentioning Hugh, Joel or (heh, God forbid) Rekt but it's always just Jen.

Edited by ricp (see edit history)

I do get annoyed, but for the wrong reasons I'm afraid. For those being funny, I just get sick of old jokes and the people who love to squeeze every drop out of them.  Then there are some people I've watched making sexual comments and they sound very serious about it. That just creeps me out.

9 minutes ago, Urban Blackbear said:

Twitch streams and Youtube channels like those are basically entertainment for 13 year old boys. They're catering to their audience who have exactly the level of maturity that they should have at that age. I don't like it but I also get that I am not their target audience.

Yeah, it's a fair point regarding the target audience. Certainly in some cases, at least.

To answer your original question in the topic title: no

2 hours ago, ricp said:

I watch quite a lot of 7DtD streams, both live and recorded, and there seems to be a consistent topic when streamers get to Jen - and it's sexual. Now I get it, we are all animals, it's natural to find people attractive, and this is a computer game so the 'person' they are 'objectifying' is not real so "no harm, no foul", right?

Correct.

2 hours ago, ricp said:

However it seems to be just about every male streamer does it to an extent. Now I am not calling those people out, nor will I name names, but it's just so tedious to hear people repeat the same old tropes. I'll not lie, I've actively been watching female streamers, not because women are in any way less sexual IRL, just that they don't feel the need to reference Jen's boobs the minute they appear on stream.

Then you are watching the wrong(or, perhaps more RIGHT for YOU) female streamers.    I know at least a half dozen female streamers who I would not consider overly sexualized themselves(by this meaning they don't wear suggest and/or low cut outfits while streaming).   If you were to take a picture of these people while streaming and show to a few hundred people, few to none would really say  "yes, these people are using their bodily assets to get views on their channels".  And yet these females are frequently discussing sexualized topics, including Jen's boobs as part of their stream content.   

The fact is there are people who are DIFFERENT from each other.  Some people talk about sexual topics because they are comfortable with their and other peoples bodies.   Other people don't because they are not comfortable doing so.  Still others simply don't do it because they want to appear family friendly in their content(and YOU might consider calling them hypocrites)

This is the same as people who curse,  Some just don't curse pretty much EVER, some curse frequently, a few can't NOT curse, and some refrain when around certain people(such as their boss, parents, etc).    

Bottom line, if someone's content bothers you enough, stop watching them.  If not, then its really not THAT important to you is it?  If you have constructive criticisms, address them respectfully and if they say @%$# off you have a choice of continuing to support them or not.   However, don't get into a freaking debate with anyone who does not want to change unless YOU are willing to be open to YOUR position changing.  Otherwise, you are the SJW

I do not watch 7d2d streams... so take this with a grain of salt:

It is one of the VERY few humans you meet and that human is female... 

And she is kinda cute (not my cup of tea though) so... if you add one and one together...

and you watch multiple different streams... it is like you ask 50 people what 2+2 is and are annoyed that you hear "four" a lot :D

It is just what it is. I wouldn't worry too much and just say "its not my kind of humor" and either skip it or ignore it :)

18 minutes ago, JoeDaFrogman said:

To answer your original question in the topic title: no

Fair enough, but thank you for answering the question.

Then you are watching the wrong(or, perhaps more RIGHT for YOU) female streamers.    I know at least a half dozen female streamers who I would not consider overly sexualized themselves(by this meaning they don't wear suggest and/or low cut outfits while streaming).   If you were to take a picture of these people while streaming and show to a few hundred people, few to none would really say  "yes, these people are using their bodily assets to get views on their channels".  And yet these females are frequently discussing sexualized topics, including Jen's boobs as part of their stream content.   

I don't disagree with you, I made that point in my OP that women are not in some way automatically "less sexual".  It just seems to be less prevalent. That's clearly anecdotal, and I accept that, but from experience that does seem to be the case. I'm going to be honest, I am not keen on judging people's intention based on what they wear in facecam, though, but that's moving off-topic and something for a different discussion (and probably not in this forum)

Bottom line, if someone's content bothers you enough, stop watching them.  If not, then its really not THAT important to you is it?  If you have constructive criticisms, address them respectfully and if they say @%$# off you have a choice of continuing to support them or not.   However, don't get into a freaking debate with anyone who does not want to change unless YOU are willing to be open to YOUR position changing.  Otherwise, you are the SJW

While I take the point, I'm not trying to change people's minds here, I am trying to gauge if others had picked up on it. When it's me, and if I have issues with their content, I'll not watch or I'll unsubscribe. I wouldn't contact them directly or suggest they change their tone. If they are not breaking any content guidelines set up by Twitch (for example) then I have no grounds for complaint. It becomes a personal opinion thing, and just like everyone I have streamers I prefer and those I don't like based purely on their content.

Finally, while we may or may not agree on this, I'd like to thank you for coming to the thread with a cogent "rebuttal".

37 minutes ago, ricp said:

I don't disagree with you, I made that point in my OP that women are not in some way automatically "less sexual".  It just seems to be less prevalent.  

And it very well may be less prevalent, but I see it this way because of what I watch.  People tend to watch and want to watch things that reinforce their own experiences, beliefs, and morality vs expanding their horizons.  I can say I am guilty of this and frankly every one is.   However, this might be getting way to "meta" a conversation so after this, I'm out of this conversation.

37 minutes ago, ricp said:

Finally, while we may or may not agree on this, I'd like to thank you for coming to the thread with a cogent "rebuttal".

I like the "Agree not to agree" approach, if everyone did this societies would be quite a bit more civilized.   As Obi-wan said to Anakin "only Sith deal in absolutes"(though to be fair, many of the Jedi philosophies were quite rigidly absolutist as well!)

22 minutes ago, JoeDaFrogman said:

And it very well may be less prevalent, but I see it this way because of what I watch.  People tend to watch and want to watch things that reinforce their own experiences, beliefs, and morality vs expanding their horizons.  I can say I am guilty of this and frankly every one is.   However, this might be getting way to "meta" a conversation so after this, I'm out of this conversation.

If we were to do a deep dive then I think you would be right, there are a multitude of influences at work here, such as cultural norms, religious oppression, etc... as you say, way (way) beyond the scope of this thread.

I like the "Agree not to agree" approach, if everyone did this societies would be quite a bit more civilized. 

More than happy for people to disagree, after all a forum would be a dull place if everyone agreed with each other. I just don't understand why some people, after saying they don't agree, go on some personalised rant.

I like the "Agree not to agree" approach, if everyone did this societies would be quite a bit more civilized.   As Obi-wan said to Anakin "only Sith deal in absolutes"(though to be fair, many of the Jedi philosophies were quite rigidly absolutist as well!)

That's why the Sith pretty much came into existence in the first place (the ideology not the race). The Force became unbalanced through the Jedi, who turned away from their emotions. It took the Chosen One (Anakin) to bring balance back.

Girls with big jugs have the right to be represented as much as any other size.

The name's The Fun Pimps and one of their trademarks is the sexual innuendo all over Navezgane. Many of the shops names are very suggestive (Carpets Munchez, Dicks) and there's now a second stripclub, after we saw the Boobie Trap.

Jen is also a model of inclusivity since she'll flirt with you whatever is the sex of your character. So she's at least bi. Rekt's probably a closet ace since its absolutely impossible to not wanna bang anyone in the apocalypse, at all. He just hates everyone, so he probably doesn't even feel the need to get some.

There ya go. 7DTD has nothing offensive at all.

Edited by Kyonshi (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Kyonshi said:

Rekt's probably a closet ace since its absolutely impossible to not wanna bang anyone in the apocalypse, at all. He just hates everyone, so he probably doesn't even feel the need to get some.

Speaking of Rekt's attitude, I JUST found out that each trader has an XML configuration concerning their "niceness".   While I have not yet, I plan to monkey with that via a mod and see if I can get dialog lines from Rekt being "nice" and Jen being the @%$#.   Hopefully, there is speech already packaged up for each voice that will just work, you know for science.

Just now, JoeDaFrogman said:

Speaking of Rekt's attitude, I JUST found out that each trader has an XML configuration concerning their "niceness".   While I have not yet, I plan to monkey with that via a mod and see if I can get dialog lines from Rekt being "nice" and Jen being the @%$#.   Hopefully, there is speech already packaged up for each voice that will just work, you know for science.

There's already a "Friendly Rekt" mod in the mods subforum. I use it and it's wonderful. LOL It seems like the RWG + spawn point selection are going to start me near Rekt 90% of the time and if I gotta spend that much time with the guy... well, I could just use a little less negativity in my life. :D 

6 minutes ago, Kyonshi said:

I agree with everything you said. It's an R/18 rated game so the content within it should be considered adult, and it definitely is. You are also spot on that the audio files sounding like she is flirting, in the same way Rekt seems to have been written intentionally to annoy people - I like his new house though!

7DtD is "offensive", and it's intended to be so, that's cool.

This is slightly different to the streamer content. Jen has only a select number of lines, streamers don't need to repeat theirs.

3 hours ago, ricp said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Disclaimer (because, sadly, I feel it'll need one):

So let's get this out of the way, I am not a virtue signaller, nor a SJW, I am asking this because I've noticed it a lot and I'm getting tired of it. I'm just interested if others are at the same place.

I really hope this thread doesn't get flamed, I honestly don't care if you do this or not, I'm saying for me, the viewer, it's getting pretty bloody old.

Well i think this depend on 7DTD art style - mad max was typical "70 - 90" movie with "hot chicks".  And 7dtd looks similar. I hate this setting i prefer days gone but what can we do xd

Just now, Mahnogard said:

There's already a "Friendly Rekt" mod in the mods subforum.

Not sure if I'm happy with that, they've been a miserable b*stard from the moment they were introduced and I'm not sure if I could deal with a friendly version. If he perhaps had a different coloured hat or clothes, then we could at least assume he was Rekt's brother.

3 minutes ago, ricp said:

I agree with everything you said. It's an R/18 rated game so the content within it should be considered adult, and it definitely is. You are also spot on that the audio files sounding like she is flirting, in the same way Rekt seems to have been written intentionally to annoy people - I like his new house though!

7DtD is "offensive", and it's intended to be so, that's cool.

This is slightly different to the streamer content. Jen has only a select number of lines, streamers don't need to repeat theirs.

Well i think 7dtd is.. hm what if you done game in B movie from 80 style. so people going are "behave" in 80 style

37 minutes ago, Roland said:

Those who would sexualize and objectify those three were cancelled eons ago through natural selection...

Rekt does have a lovely new farmhouse trader base though, so they've got that going for them!