Why doesn't the shovel ever dig where I'm aiming it?

ElCabong

I'm just done a few treasure quests. I will aim at a spot of the ground and the shovel is going to hit every blade of grass above and below and around the point I'm aiming at. I don't even have to see the grass, if it's there the shovel is going to find it.

Then I finally get to where I'm digging dirt and the hole appears above or to the left or to the right or below the point I'm aiming. I give up where I'm aiming and just go to where the hole is. then I can dig down consistently in a straight line. When I need to change direction though it's back to the way it was.

I'm never sure if I'm digging where I'm aiming.

Edited by ElCabong (see edit history)

Grass is .. -"Gr". It'll catch any swings or even redirect your punches to your farm plots.

The terrain is.. a little better. You do need to hit the center of a terrain block to reliably hit it; but once you figure that out, it's pretty perfectly deterministic.

4 hours ago, ElCabong said:

I'm just done a few treasure quests. I will aim at a spot of the ground and the shovel is going to hit every blade of grass above and below and around the point I'm aiming at. I don't even have to see the grass, if it's there the shovel is going to find it.

Then I finally get to where I'm digging dirt and the hole appears above or to the left or to the right or below the point I'm aiming. I give up where I'm aiming and just go to where the hole is. then I can dig down consistently in a straight line. When I need to change direction though it's back to the way it was.

I'm never sure if I'm digging where I'm aiming.

I've had this little gripe too, if only because it makes digging uniformly difficult sometimes. 

If you notice how the blocks "break" for ground, you probably notice it isn't perfectly square but sort of like a pie shape (though sometimes square, not ever sure why). I think it's that non-uniform breakdown that makes it easier to miss. As it loses mass it seems to actually change hitboxes making it easier to miss. I'd love a mod that lets you see a highlighted ground block just for digging

12 hours ago, Lenny Lettuce Lips said:

I've had this little gripe too, if only because it makes digging uniformly difficult sometimes. 

If you notice how the blocks "break" for ground, you probably notice it isn't perfectly square but sort of like a pie shape (though sometimes square, not ever sure why). I think it's that non-uniform breakdown that makes it easier to miss. As it loses mass it seems to actually change hitboxes making it easier to miss. I'd love a mod that lets you see a highlighted ground block just for digging

Dig in a cardinal direction. N/S or E/W

Blocks used for POIs = cubeshow-to-draw-a-cube-1.jpg

Blocks used for terrain = octahedronsoctahedron-48f79976-ba38-4f74-b25d-a9c15

The game does a smoothing/blending pass on the terrain blocks during world gen which makes the mess of octahedrons look as it does when we play. The hit boxes still reference the original, unsmoothed, shape though making things interesting.

2 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

Dig in a cardinal direction. N/S or E/W

This does help most of the time.