KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

Not sure if this has been asked before but when I was generating maps in A19 with custom POIs I noticed that KingGen would always put extremely sharp cliff edges around POIs . Nitrogen seemed to place a circle around a group of POIs and then would tapper making the map much smoother. The rough edges made by KingGen were so bad you could barely drive around. The only fix I found was to make the world 100% flat and making the land and water level almost equal. But that makes the map super boring so I just kept using Nitro, unfortunately with A20 I don’t think Nitro will ever be an option again. Did anyone else have this issue and is there a good fix?

I got this error trying to generate a world...

Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "tkinter\__init__.py", line 1892, in __call__
  File "gui.py", line 1317, in generate_world
  File "settings.py", line 26, in dump_settings
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '.\\king_gen_config.txt'

What does this mean and how do I fix it?

Edited by Zagan
spelling (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Zagan said:

PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '.\\king_gen_config.txt'

Sounds like KingGen cannot access a file named king_gen_config.txt because of some permissions issue. Perhaps KingGen needs read-write access and it only has read-only access? Perhaps you're running KingGen as a different user and there's some ownership issue for the file?

12 hours ago, chikuwa said:

Thank you for supporting the A20's POI. I was waiting for this. Does using KINGGEN still cause the region corruption error that occurs in the Vanilla map? Do you have any error reports?
I expect KINGGEN to be free of region errors. 

As far as i can see Kinggen does not support a20, we are having to use the default gen at mo and man the world is empty

^ Edit to above ^ (as i can not seem to edit)

There is a way to make POIs work in kinggen a20, as per a video further up. However you lose the new road system, and more importantly, the sewer system. The wait continues. Though I do wonder if Kinggen can ever do the sewer system? I mean it can go under multiple poi's that sounds like a drastic coding change....coule be wrong 

23 hours ago, zztong said:

Sounds like KingGen cannot access a file named king_gen_config.txt because of some permissions issue. Perhaps KingGen needs read-write access and it only has read-only access? Perhaps you're running KingGen as a different user and there's some ownership issue for the file?

Well there is only 1 user on this PC, me cuz I built it and I don't share. :p

But really all I did was download it and open it up, click on Generate and got that error.

1 minute ago, Zagan said:

Well there is only 1 user on this PC, me cuz I built it and I don't share. :p

But really all I did was download it and open it up, click on Generate and got that error.

Maybe find the file, right click on it and choose "Properties." Then you can see if the read-only flag is set. After that, I'm out of ideas.

Hi great mod to keep map generation alive. Also congrats to the 7DtD team to have significantly improved on map generation using a tile system (and stamps). The main goal of NitroGen was to improve random map generation for this game overall. Good to see ideas being ported over to the vanilla game. I have moved on doing other projects by now.

Apart from loosing interest in updating NitroGen for major changes, I also did not like the behavior of  SylenThunder attacking my mod at many occasions. Its a community mod in the end.

30 minutes ago, Damocles said:

Hi great mod to keep map generation alive. Also congrats to the 7DtD team to have significantly improved on map generation using a tile system (and stamps). The main goal of NitroGen was to improve random map generation for this game overall. Good to see ideas being ported over to the vanilla game. I have moved on doing other projects by now.

Apart from loosing interest in updating NitroGen for major changes, I also did not like the behavior of  SylenThunder attacking my mod at many occasions. Its a community mod in the end.

So kinggen is now dead?

45 minutes ago, mrgreaper said:

So kinggen is now dead?

Myself and another modder named Tallman Brad have been talking with King about what's next. King is pretty busy in real life, but may still be releasing an open source generator for a20 which Tallman and I will at least try to carry at least for the near future.

Ive released an updated prefab list for KG in A20. Problem is that KG in 19 did not use tiles and parts prefabs. The hope here is we can get a working version of KG that utilizes the tiles and parts, and then find a coder to help Tallman and me,  with the two of us working as testers and doing the admin stuff like the community maps etc.

51 minutes ago, bdubyah said:

Damocles made NitroGen, not KingGen.

From what I've heard, King has just been real busy with IRL stuff, but I believe he will come back to KG at some point.

1 minute ago, Cpt Krunch said:

Myself and another modder named Tallman Brad have been talking with King about what's next. King is pretty busy in real life, but may still be releasing an open source generator for a20 which Tallman and I will at least try to carry at least for the near future.

Ive released an updated prefab list for KG in A20. Problem is that KG in 19 did not use tiles and parts prefabs. The hope here is we can get a working version of KG that utilizes the tiles and parts, and then find a coder to help Tallman and me,  with the two of us working as testers and doing the admin stuff like the community maps etc.

Sorry got the two gens muddled.

We just made an a20 kinggen map using the video a few pages back to make the poi list (so we get the new ones they added in yesterdays patch) in the preview it looks WAY better than the default gen, loaded in started looking about and BAM we were kicked....not kinggen fault.......the devs have added a new patch to the game...so minutes after generating a new world I hope they havent added morePOI's lol 

just need the poi packs to update (reckon that will take a while) 

On the real life stuff...no issue here on that, we are treating any world we play at mo as a temp one till its all sorted, I just got nervouse when I saw the chap saying he was quiting the mapgen mod...and didnt realise this was not that lol

Ive got Nitro working in a20 with improved terrain and water stamps, Ive considered offering it as a download once 20 goes stable, but not really sure the demand is there with King Gen already filling that role and a bit more user friendly. I personally still love Nitro, but I also use King Gen for better prefab options. Really hoping we can find a new coder with the time to spare to keep it going.

I have been using NitroGen because it seems more user friendly and intuitive. It has way more settings to choose from than KingGen, and it can make a totally flat map, something I can't get KingGen to do at present.

Don't really like A20, lots of stuff I don't like about it. For one they completely removed Stainless Steel from A20. It used to be still in the creative menu, but I guess some dev got a hair up his butt and removed it. Can't find a mod to bring it back, might not even be possible.

6 hours ago, wereMole88 said:

You can set mountains to 'none' or upload a completely gray, mono-colored heightmap.

Yeah, I set mountains to "none", there are still lots of hills that are almost as big as mountains. Don't know about "mono-colored heightmaps". In Nitrogen I just set it to generate a map with no mountains or hills and got a perfectly flat map every time. Also I liked how you could set NitroGen to have snow in the north and desert in the south with forest in the middle. This KingGen map has biomes scattered everywhere totally random.

Damocles did a fantastic job with NitroGen, crying shame he had to quit updating it. Really I wish KingGen would have all the settings in it like NitroGen did. The first time I used NitroGen I got a great map exactly how I wanted. Still use it today actually in A19. It does work in A20 but like someone else said all the POIs have sharp jagged borders. Horrible maps in A20.

12 hours ago, Cpt Krunch said:

Ive got Nitro working in a20 with improved terrain and water stamps, Ive considered offering it as a download once 20 goes stable, but not really sure the demand is there with King Gen already filling that role and a bit more user friendly. I personally still love Nitro, but I also use King Gen for better prefab options. Really hoping we can find a new coder with the time to spare to keep it going.

I would absolutely love this. I love the customizability of KingGen but I have always loved the ease of Nitro and the way it makes nice clean maps without any customizing outside of its menus.

5 hours ago, Zagan said:

Still use it today actually in A19. It does work in A20 but like someone else said all the POIs have sharp jagged borders. Horrible maps in A20.

Interesting, this is the first Ive heard of this complaint, but it makes sense. The bases for many prefabs are only 1 block deep, which I think describes what you mean by jagged borders.  Easy but a little time consuming to fix. Prefab border are what you are referring to?

6 hours ago, Zagan said:

Yeah, I set mountains to "none", there are still lots of hills that are almost as big as mountains. Don't know about "mono-colored heightmaps". In Nitrogen I just set it to generate a map with no mountains or hills and got a perfectly flat map every time. Also I liked how you could set NitroGen to have snow in the north and desert in the south with forest in the middle. This KingGen map has biomes scattered everywhere totally random.

Damocles did a fantastic job with NitroGen, crying shame he had to quit updating it. Really I wish KingGen would have all the settings in it like NitroGen did. The first time I used NitroGen I got a great map exactly how I wanted. Still use it today actually in A19. It does work in A20 but like someone else said all the POIs have sharp jagged borders. Horrible maps in A20.

Weird that 'none' still gererates mountains - never generated a completely flat map.

The heightmap would just be a gray image (png) with RBG values 60 60 60 for example.

23 hours ago, Damocles said:

Yes, it's a community mod and many of developers like you choose to hide their source code wich ends with dead project / buggy things that others can't fork to help fix/improve.

There is absolutely no reason to not opensource mods.

Like CPM that I like but I found the developer reason stupid to not opensource. Just because some kids copy/paste and release mods without credits. Yeah it's a bad, but, you are the main developer and have the community behind you, let these kids doing sh*t and allow others developers to help / fork with new features or performances improvement.