KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

Thank you, but I know that, I must have written it wrong, I'm not good with English. I downloaded the ready map for KingGen, but in this map POIs list for vanilla, I need in this ready map to change POIs list to mine, I have my edited CPVANILLAKINGGEN13.1PREFABLIST.txt

Ah I see. You need to specify the pois during the generation process. You can manually add individual poi's to an existing world however. But that's not something I can explain here easily. It involves using the 'world editor' in game. 'Not a gamer gaming' has a good video on how to do this if you want to try it out? Coincidentally I am considering doing a video on this as I had trouble adding individual poi's to my world for the sake of doing poi reviews on YouTube. Just not ready to do it quite yet. Plus everything will change when a20 arrives. 

Well, give me an example - one that you have downloaded and like - I will download it too, and at least evaluate it to see how easy, or if it's practical for me to re-create heightmap.  If that is the case - we can take it from there. Ok?  (Besides - I need the practice . . .)

Edited by paulj_3 (see edit history)

9 часов назад paulj_3 сказал:

Что ж, дайте мне пример - тот, который вы скачали и который вам понравился - я тоже его скачаю и, по крайней мере, оценим его, чтобы увидеть, насколько легко или практично ли для меня воссоздать карту высот. Если это так - мы можем взять это оттуда. Ok? (К тому же - мне нужна практика ...)

Hello, I'm going to figure out how to add photos here and send 3 photos of cards that I like.

Ok... bear with me Denya - I'm trying to understand what you actually need. I've only downloaded a couple of those maps, and thought at first, that they were the full map. They are not - BUT - they ARE the actual heightmap - which is what (I think) you are asking for when you say "need a map of the peaks 8K".  So you just use that map again - in exactly the same way that you did the first time.  "heightmap.png" - it's going to be there in the World folder, in the map you created. Make a new map with a different name, and use that heightmap in the "Advanced settings" -> "Custom heightmap".

This was your first post from yesterday, right?
"I downloaded a ready-made map for KingGen, but there POIs list for vanilla, can I somehow change to my own modified POIs list for KingGen? "

So the problem you have is the POIslist - not the heightmap. You can make another map from that same heightmap. It might look different, with towns or cities in different places, but the peaks - the mountains - will be the same every time. What you or we need to do is find out why your poi's list does not work with e the vanilla list. So - perhaps you can post your list here, and we can take a look at it. Maybe you can put it on OneDrive, or DropBox, or other file-sharing site?.

I do not have a map of heights, these ready-made maps I downloaded from the Internet, they are fully ready and open in KingGen, but in the folder of these maps no map heights, as in these maps POIs list vanila, and I want to add my CPVANILLAKINGGEN13.1PREFABLIST.txt, for this I need and map heights that would be based on it I created a map with my list of POI, or I do not understand you wrong?

My English is bad, maybe I misspoke, I need a black and white map of heights that I could generate a map and add my points.

@Denya  - (My wife is ordering me to go for groceries in a few minutes, but I will be back later) In the meantime -

Something I had forgotten, but used it here. When you use either of these maps (and I am using Captn. Krunch's 10K Eternal Damnation map) - yes - there is no heightmap included. That is because KG converts the heightmap.png to "dtm.raw".   You can recreate these maps yourself by going into "Advanced settings" -> "and selecting "RAW->8-bit PNG" and selecting the dtm.raw file, and it will convert it to a heightmap.png for you. (You will need to save it as that name as you are doing it. .)
THEN you can choose the biome.png. For the new heightmap - the Cities and Water levels needs to be set at (Water) 33 and the Cities at 35.  (These are the older settings from Nitrogen I think, and will be slightly approximate because of the color differences in the conversions, one PC to another.  I did make the Eternal map quite successfully and will now look to your POI list, so I will need that please.  

( Please note - the EXPERTS here are Captn. Krunch and Tallman Brad - I am still scratching in the dirt!) (but without their help I would not be able to help you.  (And I hope I am not confusing you!)😄

Wow, it was so easy, dtm.raw and the tool RAW-> 8-bit PNG is not written anywhere, now you can safely extract the vertex map and play with the settings as you want, cool, you have helped me a lot, thank you so much!!!

If you want to experiment with my list, here it is, it took me 3 hours to edit it, because originally there was a lot of unnecessary stuff on the list.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/07lduuqs9puriq9/CPVANILLAKINGGEN13.1PREFABLIST.txt/file

The only thing KingGen is not very good at making roads, Nitrogen makes roads to almost every building.

By the way, I did an experiment, everyone says that KingGen generates the map faster than Nitrogen, but I have Nitrogen does it faster, in any case KingGen more convenient tool.

Hi there!.. Back again - and very happy that your battle is over Denya!    I have the poi txt and will look at it shortly. 

Re the time between the two tools . . .   I reckon KG is faster on the smaller maps, - 4,6 & 8k for sure - but the larger maps they seem pretty close.  You're absolutely dead right on the road creation though - for me it is very difficult - and rarely successful.  I especially like the way Nitrogen lays out the edges of the town and cities etc..  It's very good at making highways. Very good. One always seems to go around a nice, sweeping bend and the town just slowly comes into view, one house or two here and there, with wide spaces and a few trees...   Pro's and Con's..

I find fast map generation speed is handy when I'm making test worlds. When making new POIs, I frequently need to make a quick map to see the test POI placed in a variety of settings and to test how it works.

But when it comes time to make a world for a game, I'm completely cool with the generator slowing down and doing a better job. From memory, IIRC there was a conversation about roads where there was some mention of how KG keeps its speed up by only looking for paths every so many blocks. (I think somebody was trying to get a road to cross a natural bridge.)

I'm not sure why I felt like saying that. I guess it just seemed like a possibly useful observation.

I spent quite a bit of time with roads in kinggen. Tried to get a road to cross a landbridge over the grand canyon. Got it to work eventually. The issue was that the roads use grids like the towns and cities. I guess, the same spacing. Widening the bridge to catch a grid line solved the problem. So did drawing the roads by hand, but those roads don't level/smooth the terrain the same as generated roads.

An additional or optional feature in kinggen to spend more time with roads, or possibly to use the road splat file as a template, would be great. Lot of work to add that though! If it's even something others would like to see. 

Very excited to see what the built in map maker in a20 does. Was really hoping to see a 'load heightmap' option. Wishful thinking! 

Edited by Tallman Brad (see edit history)