in-person contact

AndrewT

Hello Fun Pimps

My name is Andrew and I have been part of the 7Days community since Alpha 15. I live in Dallas TX and I have several ideas that I would like to discuss with y'all. Any way we can meet in person to discuss my ideas? I'm currently a student at Collin Community majoring in game design and would also appreciate your input on a gaming career. Thanks!

1 hour ago, AndrewT said:

Any way we can meet in person to discuss my ideas?

What? You think this is 2019 or something? ;)

Joking aside, the answer, I'm sorry to say is no. The Fun Pimps actually get quite a few requests for meetings and interviews as well as requests to do surveys and to review projects all by college students in programming. They just don't have time to fulfill all of those requests. Perhaps, someday, if there is a game convention of some kind that TFP takes part in there will be an opportunity to meet and greet or be part of a panel discussion on game design but for now they aren't doing those kinds of things. Good luck on your project though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 6:06 PM, Roland said:

What? You think this is 2019 or something? ;)

Joking aside, the answer, I'm sorry to say is no. The Fun Pimps actually get quite a few requests for meetings and interviews as well as requests to do surveys and to review projects all by college students in programming. They just don't have time to fulfill all of those requests. Perhaps, someday, if there is a game convention of some kind that TFP takes part in there will be an opportunity to meet and greet or be part of a panel discussion on game design but for now they aren't doing those kinds of things. Good luck on your project though.

Ok. Well is there any other way I could establish contact with you guys whether its through a game convention or even a 15 minute zoom meeting because I have some ideas I want to tell you guys directly. I don't want to post my ideas in the pimp dreams section because I don't want someone else to steal them. I respect that you guys are really busy which is why 7DaysToDie is so good but if there is any other way I could contact you guys. Feel free to let me know. Thanks

If TFP would implement your ideas, they would end up in the game and anyone can get inspired by anything that is in the game, so it kind of is Impossible to prevent your ideas to get “stolen“. So if I don't miss anything, I don't really understand why ideas must be shared in private, unless you want to try to sell your ideas to TFP.

Sharing ideas in the forum has the benefit that the community could add on them with additional thoughts, which would make it even more likely they get picked up.

So if I miss an important point, go and use the mail adress Roland provided, buth otherwise I would suggest to just share them publicly.

Unless your idea is really revolutionary I'd say you should learn that in practice ideas are a dime a dozen. Not my words, those are Madmoles. He said that they have had so many ideas by now that they couldn't implement them in a hundred years.

The other thing is that every designer wants to implement his own vision and not that of other designers (including design students who want their ideas be bought and implemented without much effort 😁).

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

Unless your idea is really revolutionary I'd say you should learn that in practice ideas are a dime a dozen. Not my words, those are Madmoles. He said that they have had so many ideas by now that they couldn't implement them in a hundred years.

Ideas are definitely a dime a dozen.  Everyone that thinks about something they are passionate about will come up with ideas on how to improve or change it.  Having said that, implementation is where all the hard work is and even if you think you have a way to implement some cool idea you always have to consider the context of the whole project.  Adding giant zombies is a good example of something that is a "cool idea" but is a pain in the ass to implement in a voxel world.

The concept of ideas is a complicated thing. Even more complicated than the reason TFP hasn't implemented bandits yet! Like the fellow forum members above said - they are a dime a dozen and most likely worth nothing. 

Coming up an idea is easy, but coming up with a worthwhile idea is as hard as being able to accurately estimate one. That's why those who have successfully implemented ideas that are practice proven, are rarely in real need of more, and those who come up with ideas are rarely able to accurately estimate them.

Since you are majoring on GD let me tell you the following. If you trust your ideas to be worthwhile, be the first to invest in them. Learn programming and put your ideas to the test. Don't give them away. Demonstrate them and build a powerful bio. If you want a career in game design and development, grow. your. network. Should be fairly easier to find a job in the US. Talent in game design isn't something that can be easily quantified - not only because of the reasons mentioned above - so it's nearly impossible to get employed for that. That's why the vast majority of game designers are usually already veterans in the game industry as artists, developers etc. Cheers and good luck.

How most ideas look like, can be seen directly in the forum here.

Most of them are just changes or additions, that suit exactly and only the idea-givers playstyle. And most times that's all thoughts spent onto the idea. No thoughts on how this changes balancing, how this affects other playstyles, how it changes difficulty, not even mentioning how it could be implemented technically.

Simplfy there because i don't like that, enhance this, because i like this aspect of the game. Remove food, because it is annoying to have to eat everytime.... 😛

I don't want to assume Andrews ideas are of the same level, but just underline how worthless most ideas are. ;)

Archived