Snufkin's Custom Server Side Zombies - PLUS (A20)

arramus

20201203215626_1.thumb.jpg.f6fa2d85b18c079a047413003f98e625.jpg

I previously had changed all names to Demon*** instead of zombie because lets be honest, they are demons..

DemonFlamingHead: takes a fair few rounds to take him down with a metal hit sound when shooting him, hits hard on blocks, doesnt walk to fast but low level you need to stay away. I didnt like pumpkin head as it didnt fit my server theme at the time so I turned him into this demon.

DemonVampire: Crawls on all 4s, fast, first hit takes out 70 off you health and then 20 each hit (same effect as parasite but worse).

20201203220201_1.thumb.jpg.dbcf1554cbbd66a04dd00c67415fd655.jpg20201203220209_1.thumb.jpg.5ee4878a8ed0221b29e1516f405f5638.jpg

5 hours ago, Lonestarcanuck said:

I love the plus pack  and I have a question and a request...

1. the drones - they don't do anything like attack, they just fly around.

A.  is it possible to have a zombie like the demolisher that when explodes does massive radiation damage over time in stead of exploding? just a thought :)

The Drones will fly around but attack them and they will attack you 

@TomGun42 There is a lot of fun going on with the Demon Flaming Head and Demon Vampire. There is an update to the opening post as follows for submissions just in the same way as with the vehicles.

Future Additions

Please consider a few pointers if you have your own offerings to add to the community pack to ensure a smooth transition and ease of compilation before posting to this thread:

1. Has the entity been successfully tested in the background within the existing pack?

2. Is your entity for all areas or only in specific biomes for day/night. The Plus pack offers a real challenge but needs to give new players a fighting chance as well.

3. Does the entity have all the relevant attachments as perfectly applied as possible, such as a weapons and additional body parts?

4. Are you sure your entity is release ready to your full satisfaction and not an impulsive decision?

5. Can you accept that other modders may implement this pack into other mods or overhauls, albeit with permission requests and appropriate credits?

As with the spirit of Snufkin's original concept and suggestions to the community, there is no stopping other modders from expanding on the originals in their own direction just as we are doing here.

--------------------

Edited by arramus (see edit history)

On 12/1/2020 at 1:34 AM, arramus said:

See what you make of this server side version.

Doughs-RabbitOfCaerbannog-A19-ServerSideTest.zip 7.86 kB · 3 downloads

Doughphunghus is very generous with the license arrangement and basically allows us to do anything we like with this mod. Naturally, Doughphunghus is credited throughout as the XML is full of Doughphunghus tweaks. This modder clearly loved working on this. It can be released as a public server side version if it passes your tests.

3.5 scale.

20201201161240_1.thumb.jpg.1eb9f19d99d0e0c513c3db8afd0e41df.jpg

I am about 6 meters up and it sure can jump.

20201201162122_1.thumb.jpg.83025511a5393f4abad5972bbfd3db81.jpg

Snow ball replacement with molotov audio as it shares this feature.

20201201161927_1.thumb.jpg.a26a83151d502c740c45e7cb6a5c1838.jpg

20201201162003_1.thumb.jpg.efc8b75e250e9aaa91eaabb6fad0df51.jpg

All is the same beyond scale and replacements away from the custom content.

20201201161440_1.thumb.jpg.7a8e1f445adc104a83698949bbba7385.jpg

Tested on my server and it works like a charm. The rabbit is so mean. It's perfect. That snowball ain't nothing to mess with, so much damage. LMAO, that should be reserved for a qroup of snuffkins zombies on hordenight. 

9 hours ago, magejosh said:

Tested on my server and it works like a charm. The rabbit is so mean. It's perfect. That snowball ain't nothing to mess with, so much damage. LMAO, that should be reserved for a qroup of snuffkins zombies on hordenight. 

Definitely all credit to doughphunghus on this as the base mod is so very well implemented. Catman is running it on their server and I dare not even throw a snowball from Hell for the damage it can do. However, he does have a safe house area which allows the zombies to get at you in BM but does no damage to any blocks because it is protected like a trader using the ‘tprotect add’ command. Now that is fair game for a Snowball fight. 

Please excuse me if this is the wrong place for this,   - I originally found Snufkin's mod - and tried to install it on my 7 days for me and friends to play - but sadly , I could not get it to work , after contacting him, and he sent me here, I downloaded and installed the "party pack" -   but I think I'm doing something wrong ,  or maybe I didn't attach the X to the Y correctly -  
Game starts up just fine - however

No "specials zombies" -  in horde nights, or randomly 
No special zombies in the F6 spawn menu
Have attempted to host a game with a friend.. and run a solo game -  still no avail
I have attempted to restart (both random gen - and Nevzgrade) worlds, 
attempted to remove, re-download and re-install the mod - twice. 
I feel like I'm missing something that is going to be painfully obvious ,  like push this red button, and the button is the size of a house.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Thank you

46 minutes ago, TheGoju said:

Please excuse me if this is the wrong place for this,   - I originally found Snufkin's mod - and tried to install it on my 7 days for me and friends to play - but sadly , I could not get it to work , after contacting him, and he sent me here, I downloaded and installed the "party pack" -   but I think I'm doing something wrong ,  or maybe I didn't attach the X to the Y correctly -  

Have attempted to host a game with a friend.. and run a solo game -  still no avail
I feel like I'm missing something that is going to be painfully obvious ,  like push this red button, and the button is the size of a house.  

Thank you

It is possible the mod folder is within an additional 'shell' folder that is made by Github. The solution is to bring the main mod folder out of the Github shell folder so there is only one main folder layer.

Here is a copy without the Github shell layer for your convenience.

Snufkin_CustomZombies_Plus_A19_2020Nov26Test.zip

Here is also another small mod which has a starter kit for new players as they join your World. Just a few things to get them started in a more challenging environment.

SnufkinPartyPlusStarterKit_A19.zip

54 minutes ago, TheGoju said:

Thank you

Anytime you download any mod (be it 7days or Skyrim or whatever) always check the file structure. In this case @arramus helped already but really taking a few seconds to check would have saved you/him time.  

Thank you both for the help  - 

I tend not to play with mods in most games,  -  but the new zombies were too good to pass up ,   I watched the youtube video on how to install the mod, and to my knowledge i was doing it correctly -
(insert random B.S here - and thank you) 

UPDATE:  -- attempted to start it up on Nazengrade - and it worked!! (WOOT) - 
 Zombies were in the F6 Spawn list as well. 

will it work with a random gen world if I host and he joins me?  -  or does it have to Nev - ?    Again , Thank you for all the input and help, its greatly appreciated. 

Edited by TheGoju (see edit history)

1 hour ago, TheGoju said:

Thank you both for the help  - 

I tend not to play with mods in most games,  -  but the new zombies were too good to pass up ,   I watched the youtube video on how to install the mod, and to my knowledge i was doing it correctly -
(insert random B.S here - and thank you) 

UPDATE:  -- attempted to start it up on Nazengrade - and it worked!! (WOOT) - 
 Zombies were in the F6 Spawn list as well. 

will it work with a random gen world if I host and he joins me?  -  or does it have to Nev - ?    Again , Thank you for all the input and help, its greatly appreciated. 

Fortunately, these types of mods are independent of whether the world has been made RWG or Nitro World Maker and/or contain customised buildings such as the Compo Pack 46 which is certainly something else to look into for the future.

I would also recommend Stallionsden's invisible animal mod fixer as the animals tend to disappear over time either as they spread out over the World or take invisible form but get counted and reduce spawning opportunities for new ones. And of course, the Snufkin Community Pack vehicles and Xpansion Weapons and something to bump up backpack size and stacking of items. The list could be endless but these are good starters.

It has been a few weeks now without any major issues being presented and here is a Stable version.

https://github.com/arramus/SnufkinCustomZombiesPLUS-A19-2020Dec17

For players who are having trouble with the Github version adding a shell layer to the zip, here is a simpler version.

SnufkinCustomZombiesPLUS_A19_2020Dec17.zip

(Please try to utilise the Github version where possible to reduce load on the forum)

Feedback that has been acted on:

- Reduced the probability ratios from the default as this was a 'touch' on the high side for brand new worlds which didn't have a distribution of zombies over multiple regions but instead concentrated them all into a few open regions. It was no fun for new players.

- Reduced HP and XP on a few zombies which will spawn more frequently. This will ensure XP remains higher for rarer and more challenging entities but the HP tweak still allows lower level players a fighting chance should they spawn in frequent repetition which can sometimes happen and appears to be a netcoding feature.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Timerman said:

Is there a way to make the zombies not fly when you hit them with a melee weapon ? It feels like i am playing ping pong with them 

Are you referring to melee weapons in general or a specific weapon with a specific mod/buff?

I'm just checking what causes fly back.

Specific:

- Repulsor Mod for the stun batons.

- Batter up book 4 and knock down buff.

- Skull crusher knockdown skill perk (more stumble than fly back)

- Metal chain mod (again, more stumble)

Generic:

The updated physics system which provides greater probability for more dramatic fly back rag doll effects.

7 hours ago, Timerman said:

Is there a way to make the zombies not fly when you hit them with a melee weapon ? It feels like i am playing ping pong with them 

I think this happens with all UMA NPCs. I just re-released a UMA zombie pack (which I only discovered how to do because of the work in this modlet - thanks!) and mine behave the same.

For vanilla zombies, the amount is determined by the "Mass" attribute, but that doesn't seem to have any effect on UMA physics.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 9:00 AM, LordCorellon said:

Contacted Snufkin on the Discord and he sent me here.

I'm wanting to build a "zombie" from the ground up using XML like you do here. What do I need to go about doing it?

There are 2 primary zombie types in the Snufkin mod, as examples:-

Archon which is zombie wight with some attachments, reskins, buffs, and the ability to fly.

Undertaker which has been given its own Archetype of customised clothing, body shape, etc in addition to attachments and buffs.

The first thing I did after going through some of the XML tutorials was explore the Snufkin mod Config folder and see what takes care of what.
I began with attempting to extract a zombie so it became a standalone mod. I did this for the Scorcher. It was very much trial and error. It was a case of using the mod and seeing if there were any server errors when attempting to bring him into play. There were errors and these were related to changes made in A19 when the Snufkin characters were modelled using A18 code. I did a crash course of both trying to restore the mod and also learn about each character. In your case I would recommend:

1. Examine all of the Snufkin files to learn about what each character depends on.
2. Attempt to extract a single character until it is functional without errors.
3. Attempt to modify that character as much as possible to see where you can customise it to your own specifications.

4. Emulate the coding format with your own ideas to make a completely ground up entity.

8 hours ago, arramus said:

There are 2 primary zombie types in the Snufkin mod, as examples:-

Archon which is zombie wight with some attachments, reskins, buffs, and the ability to fly.

Undertaker which has been given its own Archetype of customised clothing, body shape, etc in addition to attachments and buffs.

The first thing I did after going through some of the XML tutorials was explore the Snufkin mod Config folder and see what takes care of what.
I began with attempting to extract a zombie so it became a standalone mod. I did this for the Scorcher. It was very much trial and error. It was a case of using the mod and seeing if there were any server errors when attempting to bring him into play. There were errors and these were related to changes made in A19 when the Snufkin characters were modelled using A18 code. I did a crash course of both trying to restore the mod and also learn about each character. In your case I would recommend:

1. Examine all of the Snufkin files to learn about what each character depends on.
2. Attempt to extract a single character until it is functional without errors.
3. Attempt to modify that character as much as possible to see where you can customise it to your own specifications.

4. Emulate the coding format with your own ideas to make a completely ground up entity.

What programs do you use to do all of this? New to all of this

Personally, I haven't used any programs. Any learning came from analysing the cumulative offerings from the assortment of modders who have shared their techniques and creativity. In all cases I have used base code from the default or modded XML files to achieve things I wanted to do so far. I began last October and am slowly piecing things together. My initial step was to restore a mod from A18 to A19 and this forced me to trawl through the code looking for conflicts based on server error output. It was an intensive introduction but worth it. I am also very fortunate to be supporting oakraven on some fun mods; oakraven has coding depth and I can support with QC and elementary coding. Snufkin and oakraven are sophisticated and talented modders who carefully give credit to their predecessors regardless of how far they have taken a concept away from any originals. The vast majority of modders do the same.

There is a section in the forum called Tools and there are a variety of applications to assist us with creating XML files. Unfortunately it's not categorised beyond that and is in date order which means some precious applications are hidden away. In addition the Tutorials & Guides assisted with some of the most important XML commands for allowing mods to take precedence as the game/server loads out. XML has some fixed patterns as well as more flexible ones. The tutorials really help with learning the fixed ones at first.

7 hours ago, LordCorellon said:

What programs do you use to do all of this? New to all of this

And halfway decent text editor will be able to edit XML files. Most people use Notepad++. I personally use Visual Studio Code (it also handles C#), and have used Atom extensively in the past. All of these are very good, and also free (open source), so try one to see what you like.

Just don't use Word. :)

12 hours ago, khzmusik said:

personally use Visual Studio Code (it also handles C#), and have used Atom extensively in the past. All of these are very good, and also free (open source), so try one to see what you like.

Seconded :)  I use Atom for this game. It’s a bit heavy (slow to load, memory) but seems to work a little better overall on non windows systems. Visual Studio Code I use at work on windows and it’s solid.  The “secret” to using either IMHO is:

- load up the plugins you need to color code the text/XML :).  It’s not much, but it really helps see everything.

- learn how to open other mods (and your own) as well as the /Data/Config game folder (where all the XML is) as “a project” in these editors. This helps a lot when working with a lot of files. 

- learn how to “find something in the file I’m looking at” and “find something in the entire project”. once you start modding this game, you’re going to want to search the games XML A LOT for a word or a number (“where is loot id 546?” Or “I know drinking water gives back a glass jar, is that in the XML somewhere, because I would like to make eating meat give back a bone”. 

there’s a lot of other little pitfalls, but making XML mods for this game is relatively easy, just starting out is a bit rough if you’ve never done it before.  I would recommend how I started modding (also mentioned above):  find some small, simple mods others have made and play them in the game (and learn how to go into god mode in the game, for testing). Then make changes to these mods and see how it all fits together.  The forums have a lot of information/help but you will spend more time trying to understand it (because there is so much, covering a lot of areas, and older info from earlier versions of the game) from reading the forums than you will trying to make your own mod and then asking/reading the forums when you have a specific thing that you are trying to do.  Just jump in and give it a shot!  I have made a lot of mods where I had an idea and .... it failed to work :) so I put it aside after I cannot find an answer and try something else (some other mod idea) and hopefully I will learn enough to go back and finish those older mods, or learn what I wanted to do was way too much work/time for me to put in. 

good luck!  These forums are pretty good with answering questions and helping, as are most people on the forums.

Also: be aware the game is still “in alpha” so every release that comes out may break your mod(s).  Usually it’s not a big deal, but try to use it as a learning experience. I have heard that UMA is getting changes.  Even if this happens, and you did a lot of UMA work (which I believe snufkins zed mods are a lot of) learning how to repair/retool your mod to work with the new changes can be a great learning opportunity, if not a bit frustrating:)

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

On 1/5/2021 at 7:00 PM, LordCorellon said:

I'm wanting to build a "zombie" from the ground up using XML like you do here. What do I need to go about doing it?

Specific to UMA zombies - you might want to check out the old Bad Company thread on these forums: 

It has lots of information about the various UMA slots and items that are available.

But be forewarned: this was for A16 so the information may be out of date. But when I was creating my own UMA zombies, I found it very informative.

I can see just how overwhelming this can all get!

I have a picture of what I want to make in my mind, and can actually build it in the 7D2D world. Now just getting it to come to life. Ive got no experience aside from editing some xmls for stat changes.

getting it to move and actually walk about the world is still alien to me.
EDIT: Watched a video on editing and creating. Looks like i"ll have to create a whole new Archetype for what I want to do.

Edited by LordCorellon
Update (see edit history)

Added a small update 'lite' version of the entitygroups.xml in the main folder so server hosts can utilise it where appropriate for new Worlds.

https://github.com/arramus/SnufkinCustomZombiesPLUS-A19-2021Jan21

In a new World it appears to be common for a higher density of custom zombies to roam in the limited number of open regions, whereas in a developed World the custom zombies are typically more spread out in a lower density. The 'lite' version allows server hosts to begin their World without being overwhelmed and then switch to the regular entitygroups.xml when the World is more established. (Please make a back up if you rename the 'lite' version and replace the default)

In addition, this update was tested with the latest 19.4(b3) experimental build and no issues were apparent.