Electric Fences Bug Out in Horde Night

Guppys Fur

Guys i got a Bug, but no idea how to reproduce it for the Bug Forum. Maybe you can help before i report there.

In Hordenights i use electric Fences., 8 of them on 1 Generator, that does nothing else then powering those.

Without reason (that i know of) those fences bug out during the night. The sound would play on if a Player or Zombie walk through, but no damage, no Stun, no Light effect plays.

The Problem why i cant post it yet in the Bug Forum is, i cant reproduce it.

Sometimes its 1h into BM, sometimes 3h, sometimes it doesnt happen at all.

Any idea how i can tackle that problem? would like to contribute solving that nasty bug.

(Renders my else perfectly fine Hordebase fairly useless)

So far, I've only been able to replicate this by continuing an old save/world between A19 B180 to A19.1B8, and I've rectified this on a small-server that carried over and a test world I made for this issue by deleting power.dat and power.dat.bak. This will wipe ALL electric wiring, not the electric items, so you'll have to re-wire it. But on both experiments, no more weird zapping/null errors/planar errors.

Or you could just make a new world. But if you did make a brand new world on a new save and still have this issue, post your log files.

Cheers.

Hey, thanks for the help. didnt dare to file a proper report with so little details :)

The Fence posts are allright so i dont think its what Diragor mentioned.

Tourist, sounds we have the same issue

I run a No-Wipe Server and want to try to stick to my words or they gonna roast me^^

However, it was not brought in with A19.1. It happened before too.

I kow because i remember recording such a night 1 week before A19.1 to file a bug report. At that night, where i did record it.... no bug :D But on BMs before and after it occured. Frustrating.

Jugginator, those are helpful instructions. I will try deleting the power.dat and dat.bak.

I will keep you updated :)

Its not a bug its intended, each time a electric fence pole pair shocks a zombie one of them loses a bit of durability, and once they get to 50 it esssentally shuts itself off, you have to repair them mid blood moon horde to keep them going. Its like dart traps and turrets, you need to resupply them with ammo, the ammo for the electric fence poles is its own durability. Its been like this for a while now, so I doubt its a bug. What is a bug though is when you run the wire and for some reason it drops down to the base of the pole randomly, then randomly goes back to its proper position.

The sparking is basically TFP's way of going "hey, that electric fence pole needs repairs or its going to stay disabled"

A possible "fix" (I say fix loosely as its tech cheating/modding) is to go into the xml where it is, and up its durablity or lower the damage recieved assuming thats how much dmg it takes per shocked zombie.

in blocks.xml

<block name="electricfencepost">
    <property name="CreativeMode" value="Player"/>
    <property name="Class" value="ElectricWire"/>
    <property name="UnlockedBy" value="perkAdvancedEngineering,electricfencepostSchematic"/>
    <property name="Material" value="Mmetal_weak"/>
    <property name="StabilitySupport" value="false"/>
    <property name="Shape" value="ModelEntity"/>
    <property name="Mesh" value="models"/>
    <property name="MaxDamage" value="200"/>
    <property name="DamageReceived" value="0.5"/>

Damage recieved I am going to assume is the durability loss per shocked zombie, so with 150 loss before it shuts off it can shock something 300 times. Increasing MaxDamage, might up its HP allowing it to function longer.  You could also modify the damage recieved value as well. 0.1 would let it shock 1500 things before it disables for example if it works how I am thinking it does from looking at the xml entry for it.

Nah mate, durability was not the problem.

as Jugginator suggested, i deleted the Power Files and that bug is gone since then.

(not only wiring was gone, but all Cells, Batteries, Engines and Ammo in electric devises too, that gave a @%$#storm on my server :D )

Im now happily slaying Zombies :)

2 hours ago, Guppys Fur said:

Another update: The bug re-occured 😕 seems i need to wipe eventually.

That sucks.  I'm looking for a way to stop my server from updating so I don't have to worry about the world breaking whenever the devs decide to put out an update.  19.1 has been great so far. I love the extra two hotbar slots and the new zombies, plus who doesn't love some good titty jiggle, but having my world screwed up has been pretty annoying.  So far 19.2 doesn't look like it has any interesting changes or fixes so I'm hoping I can just wait until a patch comes out I actually want.  

I've had this happen fairly regularly as well. Pretty simple horde base design, 2 sets of electric fence & dart trap ran off camera. One of them frequently stops working, no damage, wiring all correct, camera properly aimed and set. Re-wiring seems to fix it for a little while.

Oh and this is pre-jiggle physics update (I haven't played lately, around here looking for inspiration that I'm not finding)

I've had this happen randomly, too.  Even on things I've just built.  Periodically, electric fences just don't work.

I've noticed it more often when I place a fence upside-down.  Game doesn't seem to like that.  But it happens when right-side up, and when sideways, too.

I even convinced myself it happened when wires ran through other blocks (even open space of blocks, like in front of ladders), but eventually disproved that, too.

I've also had it ignore zombies completely, but then zap me when I try to go through it.

I've had it happen in a pure 19.0 map, when moved from 19.0 to 19.1 w/o wiping (though fences we re-wired), and in a map that started in 19.1.

Bottom line is, it happens pretty frequently, I can't test ahead of time on myself, and I can't reliably reproduce it or notice any particular reason it happens.  The only thing in common has been always on MP servers (but I don't really play SP except to test a design in creative)

oh interesting. i too got some of them upside down. But it occurs on all of them. Still it might be the upside down one that trigger a global bug.

And yes, i had it on a fresh A19.0 map too, the fact we updated an existing map to A19.1 didnt trigger it.

Got too problems with the reliable reproduce. I will try to record a video soon, maybe testers can have a look.

On MP Server too.

Two things, the first as others have said is they need repair once they get down to 49 health. They usually have damage only on the end of the trip wire, the one opposite of the one getting the power. I try an place those ends in areas that I can safely and easily get to during horde night. Second. not sure if others are having the same problem, for some reason, randomly when I'm out of the chuck they are in, the end that gets the damage also drops the connection to half way down the fence pole. As the electric fence poles are a block and half high. dogs and spiders can walk under them without getting zapped. So I drop mine down one block so they only stick up a half of a block the zeds walk through. This gets everything walking past them. The problem when the random power wire drops down on the one end, it will drop below that half block height and and if the zombies walk through that area, no zap. It doesn't happen to often, but enough that I make sure to check those before the blood moon.

i appreciate the tries to help, but im getting tired to repeat that HP of Fence is not the deal.

As stated, the work for a While (e.g. during BM) bug out ( electric noise still playing, no shock whatsoever) and on a nother day ( probably chunk reload ) they work again. Has NOTHING to do with HP or durability.

I just went through another horde night, still happening to me in SP. It really sucks.

The fences cross each other but are at 90 degrees. So like an L shape. That is my trap corridor.

The first fence died at 139 durability on the outer post, the inner post vanished.

The second fence never worked at all, the outer post just vanished at some point before the first fence died (because they can't get to the 2nd until then). The inner post had no damage. The camera and dart trap worked normally.

Yes everything is hooked up properly. Yes the generator has plenty of gas. This is most certainly a bug.

Spoiler

is the design. I'll get some screens in a minute.

Yes, this was a 19.0 game, today was the first time I played in 19.1 but it was already happening before.

Game just crashed out of nowhere on me, which is extremely rare.

@Jugginator

20201007220153_1.jpg

20201007220159_1.jpg

See now I just replaced those posts, haven't even turned it on again and the wire on the left one is drooping already. I replaced it and then took off for airdrop and a treasure map that day and just got back.

20201007220217_1.jpg

20201007220238_1.jpg

It's a cheap and fairly effective base design, especially when the electric fences work properly and you actively defend. Suitable for melee and ranged weapons.

1 minute ago, Jugginator said:

I'll make something similar and test it in clean builds but, like the others, I can safely assume this is a carried-over world issue. I'll have some testing done by tomorrow... I think

No, you can't assume that. Safely or otherwise. I thought I was pretty clear the issue existed in 19.0 which the world was created in.

Honestly the layouts really shouldn't make a difference. Wire goes to post, wire goes to next post. Wires powered. Zeds fry.

Todays (day 49) horde and so far it looks like both fences are working properly. Fence 1 just failed around 1:45. Fence 2 is actually working for a change and should get me through the rest of the horde.

yeah i think so too, just giving the infos that QA might need and to rule out stuff. Also to point out im clearly under the maximum power-strength given by generator :)

Hope to catch the bug on tape the next days. It kinda renders my else really neat hordebase semi-useless.

1 hour ago, Guppys Fur said:

yeah i think so too, just giving the infos that QA might need and to rule out stuff. Also to point out im clearly under the maximum power-strength given by generator :)

Hope to catch the bug on tape the next days. It kinda renders my else really neat hordebase semi-useless.

Nice base.

Oh, yeah, I didn't think of mentioning it. I have 2 engines in generator, which is plenty for my setup. I just turn the gen on for horde night and then power it back down so no external switches. Total of 2 cameras, 2 darts, 4 fences. Probably need a better base for next horde, but wanted to see how far I could take this one. Surprised it has held out this long. I ran out of darts and personal ammo, the iron spikes were all destroyed, but the fence held until dawn.

Day 57 BM. For some reason I had an easier time this horde. Sat back mostly popping them in the head with the 9, switching to DV for radiated big boys.  The first fence actually held out, was at 12 health at dawn but still working. Only lost about 8 iron spikes. The second fence got a very little bit of action from spiders who jump the line (they really are annoying cunts).

So here is the kicker, the outer second fence post vanished at the end of horde. Just gone. It simply is not possible it took enough damage from use. It was also a fresh pole because it had gone MIA last BM too so it isn't like it had pre-existing damage I forgot to fix. Quite the head-scratcher.

Archived