Weapon/Hands FOV (camera distance) changer

ivailogeimara

(at 00:19 onwards it's demonstrated how to use the command and what it does)

Long time ago TFP locked the hands/weapon FOV and set it to extremely low (45, lower than console games) because the hands model looked bad. Now they fixed the hands model (Magnum holding anim still looks bad but w/e) but the FOV is still locked to 45. I couldn't find other mods doing this so I decided to create this mod to be able to set the hands/weapon FOV to something more reasonable like 60.

This mod adds a console command:

wfov
wfov <number>
wfov 58

that changes the hands/weapon FOV. When executed without arguments (like wfov) it gets the current WeaponFov (by default I made it 60). When given a number (like wfov 60) it sets it to that number.

More technical info:

This mod is actually separated to 2 mods.

1) First is 0-FieryRiderCore which has the code for managing and storing custom options (Maybe it'll be useful to someone else). It creates a customPrefs.xml file inside <GameDir>/Data/Config where it stores the custom options.

2) Second is FOV Changer which adds a custom option and using it to set the WeaponFov.

GitHub(0-FieryRiderCore): Link to the mod

GitHub(Fov Changer): Link to the mod

Bonus mod:

Pistols AAA Aim Fov - Not a DMT mod. Just vanilla. Moves the standard pistols (that are normally in the game) away from the camera while aiming like it is in many AAA games. I think it looks better.

Downloads:

0-FieryRiderCore

Fov Changer

Pistols AAA Aim Fov (Bonus mod)

Edited by ivailogeimara
New mods versions (see edit history)

5 hours ago, caatalyst said:

Do we just copy the folders to the 7 days / mods folder? I've tried doing that but the console commands are not recognised

This mod is used with the DMT modding tool. You put it into the DMT mods folder and compile it with DMT modding tool. It will place the necessary stuff in your game folder automatically.

Notice how the thread has DMT label. It also doesn't work with EasyAnticheat as any other DMT mod.

Edited by ivailogeimara
spelling (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/26/2020 at 8:38 AM, Pritch said:

This doesn't seem to work with the latest build A19.3(b6) and the latest DMT (DMTv2.2.7623.23873).  
I had this working last week.  I had to update DMT today and its not working anymore.  

UPDATE: For some reason the way that was used for adding console commands is not working anymore. I'm looking for another way. BTW if you've used this mod you'll most likely have a file called customPrefs.xml in <GameDir>/Data/Config with the following content:

<preferences>
  <preference name="WeaponFov">60</preference>
</preferences>

You should be able to change the FOV from there (it requires reloading the game). If you don't have the file you can create it.

Edited by ivailogeimara
grammar (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2020 at 8:38 AM, Pritch said:

This doesn't seem to work with the latest build A19.3(b6) and the latest DMT (DMTv2.2.7623.23873).  
I had this working last week.  I had to update DMT today and its not working anymore.  

It should be working now. There was a bug in DMT. Make sure to download the latest version of DMT (DMTv2.3.7703.26414) and the latest version of my mod.

Edited by ivailogeimara (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello!  Ok, I just need the FOV part.  Is the MOD working for 19.5.  I need the FOV set at 95 so I'm not getting motion sick.  Is making the customPrefs.xml with the code you posted enough to make the change or do I need to get DMT and install your modlet?

On 6/2/2021 at 12:28 AM, Ianua said:

Hello!  Ok, I just need the FOV part.  Is the MOD working for 19.5.  I need the FOV set at 95 so I'm not getting motion sick.  Is making the customPrefs.xml with the code you posted enough to make the change or do I need to get DMT and install your modlet?

I just tested it on 19.5 and it's still working. What do you mean only the FOV part? Changing the hands FOV is the main thing. The Pistols AAA Aim Fov (Bonus mod) is just another mod that changes the pistol FOV while ADS (pulls it further from the screen) and does not require the main mod. To change the hands FOV (while not aimed) with the console command you need the main mod (0-FieryRiderCore and Fov Changer) and DMT mod loader to load it with.

8 hours ago, Pra3t0r 0f R0m3 said:

Heya...is there a way to accomplish this without scripts?

Would be great if we could use this in overhaul mods such as DF, as well as vanilla.

No. You can't change weapon hands' FOV without modifying the game code. I would've done it otherwise. That's why I'm trying to create my overhaul mod with ideas I like from others because I can't stand the normal FOV but I also want to play heavily modded 7dtd (also because I don't closed source stuff that's free).

If you want to play overhauls with my mod try asking the people that make the overhaul to include my mod. There is nothing I can do about it

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2021 at 12:26 PM, caatalyst said:

Is this mod compatible with other mods? I wanted to use it while playing Undead Legacy.

I love that this is possible as I hate the current FOV for weapons and tools. It feels like the gun is pointing out of your face.

This mod requires DMT to compile it and insert it into the game code (Assembly-CSharp.dll) and insert it into Mods.dll. DMT can't do that if the Assembly-CSharp.dll is already modified (which is the case with overhauls).

I plan to make my mods use BepInEx instead of DMT which theoretically will make them compatible with some "already compiled" mods. But I'm busy right now making my own overhaul.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+ 1 to an A20 update:)

Also, is there anyone here that has a compiled copy of the 0-FieryRiderCore mod and the FovChanger mod from their mods folder for A19? I'm not looking for the mod download link itself, I can get that from the main post. I'm looking for the mods from the actual "mods" folder after they've been built by DMT. If anyone can throw me a link to that I'd be quite grateful.

Here you go, guys. Made A20 adaptation, without FieryRiderCore dependency and console command. Now the value is read from xml config once per game start.

https://github.com/RagnarHbUa/7d2dWeaponFovChanger/releases/tag/v1.0.0

Well, one may create command to re-read value from file in the future. But I don't have time currently to mess with previous custom values storage from FieryRiderCore.

13 hours ago, Ragnar said:

Here you go, guys. Made A20 adaptation...

You sir, are a hero. Thank you!

EDIT: Whoa there, that default fov setting is a bit crazy lol! Everything really looks great but I would suggest making the default weapon fov just a little more sane of a number. 60 is what I went with.

Edited by ate0ate (see edit history)