7 Days of Ammo Crafting

Tordur77

Iron Spikes will one-shot Screamers at no cost and won't activate them.

I've been leery of using iron spikes because of the time/energy/resource cost - wooden ones are so flimsy and I worry that these are too. The devs got rid of the large log-shaped ones, but I have to ask: Are the Iron spikes the new version of those heavy-duty spikes from A15 (I think it was then)?

I've been leery of using iron spikes because of the time/energy/resource cost - wooden ones are so flimsy and I worry that these are too. The devs got rid of the large log-shaped ones, but I have to ask: Are the Iron spikes the new version of those heavy-duty spikes from A15 (I think it was then)?

They aren't as good, but all you need is 1 ring of them around where screamers come. They tend to follow the same path.

My initial 4 SMG turrets keeps tabs on all the screamers this creates, so no problem.
Again, allowing zombies to hit your base from any side means you need 4 times the defenses...and most of the time, 3 of those sides aren't even doing anything.

one zombie-accessible entrance means only 1 direction of defense, which means 1 turret/blade trap/spikes/junk turret for dealing with screamers. Simply aim a single junk turret at the open entrance and your chemstation/workbench-only ammo cost for screamers is 0

The log spikes were removed for multiple reasons (too good, problematic with prone zombies, immersion problems and filling the same niche as spike traps).

Damn, it is so long ago that I don't even remember what type of spike traps were in A15. I thought there was an iron spike trap as well that never got used because of the log spikes, but the longer I think about it the more I doubt my memory.

The log spikes were removed for multiple reasons (too good, problematic with prone zombies, immersion problems and filling the same niche as spike traps).

Damn, it is so long ago that I don't even remember what type of spike traps were in A15. I thought there was an iron spike trap as well that never got used because of the log spikes, but the longer I think about it the more I doubt my memory.

Another reason they were removed/changed was because they were highly OP upside down...😂

Another reason they were removed/changed was because they were highly OP upside down...

I know. I liked using them that way for some spots, but others, nope the pointy side out. (just looked more badass that way)

3 rows upside down around the production base kept the wandering idiots away, AND it was much easier to repair them when upside down.

They are still there in creative mode, so can easily be modded back in. (or open creative, toss in 2 stacks of wood, grab 1 stack of log spikes)

there, fair trade.

They are still there in creative mode, so can easily be modded back in. (or open creative, toss in 2 stacks of wood, grab 1 stack of log spikes)

there, fair trade.

I wish they would add them back in the game at least as a decorative element. I like the look of the spikes.

A15 had those thick ugly textured spikes if memory serves me correctly. I do kinda miss those, they lasted longer than the limited selection we have now in A18.

EDIT:

spike.png

A15 had those thick ugly textured spikes if memory serves me correctly. I do kinda miss those, they lasted longer than the limited selection we have now in A18.

EDIT:

spike.png

Yes, those are the "log spikes" we are talking about. Nothing wrong or surprising in players missing and reminiscing about OP items. They are popular BECAUSE they are OP.

Barbed wire is a good stand-in in my view, does do damage only in homoeapathic doses, but lasts a while and slows the zombies.

Yes, those are the "log spikes" we are talking about. Nothing wrong or surprising in players missing and reminiscing about OP items. They are popular BECAUSE they are OP.

Barbed wire is a good stand-in in my view, does do damage only in homoeapathic doses, but lasts a while and slows the zombies.

IMLTHO, the Log Spikes weren't OP. They cost a LOT in resources - especially if you upgraded them fully - but they lasted more than contact with one damn zombie.

They were also realistic. You could use them to make a genuine palisade fortress (i.e. 13th Warrior Style).

One reason we put them in upside down, is zeds would hop UP on the spikes (like they do the wood spikes now) when pointy bit was up.

Targeting for repairs was easier too.

yes, ripping their legs off to make'em crawlers was nice, it slowed them down. Killed the weaker ones.

Oh, and you could paint amusing patters on them. (mostly bullseyes) :)

Try speccing into junk turrets, they're even much better than SMG/shotgun turrets after you've upgraded them. I have like 10 junk turrets near me on horde night and they get through 2/3 of the night before they're all empty. With drum magazine mods they can hold over 200 rounds. The ammo is cheaper, faster and less annoying to craft and doesn't involve needed to go to 3-4 different mines to find stuff which saves a huge amount of time between hordes. After they're all empty on horde night I just refill my best turret at that point.

When you get to the demolishers just make sure they're facing the back of the zombies. Alternatively, you can make it so that the junk turrets have a very limited range. They always shoot for the head but if you let them start shooting at max range the spread can strike zombies in the chest but limiting their range or area of visibility solves that.

Archived