Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Alright, sweet. Is along the lines of what I was expecting when you said you were going with a flying drone design. I am seriously glad that you put blade-guards on it.

As a roboticist who is also a gamer I've had decades to grow my window of acceptability with this stuff, this fits within that window just fine, better than most actually. Robots in video games make my eyes roll 90%+ of the time. I'm used to it but at least this is far better than most. My eyes stayed put, win.

Would it fly? Ha, no, end of story. How different would a flying one look from this? Mostly needs more fans, at least one, and with larger blades for adequate lift. 3 fan minimum for decent control too, this would be a mess to fly irl. You honestly could take those 2 now move them forward and inward a bit, then add a third in the back in the middle. That would make me happy, er. But I'll concede this is a rather minor detail.

Your lore could actually near remedy the existing drawbacks tbh. If it is near-future then there is a strong possibility that better motors and better batteries exist, since those are the bane of drone anatomy irl, or at least they did before the apocalypse hit. Yes that could honestly be enough to make this heavy-ass double bladed(4 actually, 2 in each) drone fly. That's saying a lot right there.

So ok, good enough for gaming work. You could consider the practical drawbacks to this design mere minor details in this respect, and that is saying a lot by comparison to most robots in games. Even as someone with a strong bias for it to make actual sense, since making such things real and practical is what I do irl, I will gladly play along with this in-game with a smile on me face. Kudos.

Two fans perhaps if the center of "gravity" can be adjusted by shifting the arms? I just want to see whether it flies back when it shoots!!!

Maybe its just the 4x4 sound. It feels like a honda civic with a huge muffle mod. All show and no go lol....

Everyone in my group feels like the sound is faster then it really is.

The 4x4 over-revved sound while driving without sprint is absolutely aweful.

I understand that speed control is seen as too complex.... and therefore not fun... but really I wish I can just have some control so I can cruize slowly and adjust the speed according to whether I'm on an easy road or crossing difficult terrain. Even if I could just select a "gear" from 1st to 4th ....

Two fans perhaps if the center of "gravity" can be adjusted by shifting the arms? I just want to see whether it flies back when it shoots!!!

Making the rotors able to move a little off the vertical plane will give the same control system as a Chinook although if it fired those guns it would likely do a front-flip. :-)

Making the rotors able to move a little off the vertical plane will give the same control system as a Chinook although if it fired those guns it would likely do a front-flip. :-)

Yup! I seem to recall that the Yamato could not fire all of it's guns simultaneously for the same kind of reason....

Edit: After a bit of googling around it seems this it not true.

What vehicle do you prefer?

I'm really liking the gyro copter; so rewarding when you learn to fly it well. It's also way faster than any vehicle because you can travel in a straight line while also avoiding difficult obstacles and terrain. It's funny it only looks slow because you're so far off the ground, good ol' parallax.

I like them all to be honest, but late game I use the gyro for quick trips to the trader, but if I find a new town or something with a lot of pois to clear, I'll take the 4x4 so I can fill it with stuff.

I'm gone til the 16th. Longer if my cruise gets quarantined.

Man you are just asking for it. I guess if you get it and beat it, you don't have to worry about it. 4 weeks of hell doesn't seem like its worth it to have the immune to Corona perk.

MM, show us the third tier sniper rifle please! If this is possible, of course =) You said that you would show it at the end of last month, but you showed a gun and a drone. The gun and drone look cool. Maybe I misunderstood you, but when will we see the concept of a sniper rifle?

I hope so! I'm pretty hyped about the new weapons and the specialized traders.

I think the updated player animations is something I'm looking forward to the most to up my immersion....?

...oh and the junk drone and sledge as they are completely new mechanics.

Okay... I was going to leave RWG as a dead donkey and ignore it until it became a problem. Half a bottle of Polish Vodka and a smattering of Jim Beam has led me to ask...

Do you not think you've crippled RWG with a four biome limit? Let's face it, there are about seven distinct biomes on the planet, could you not incorporate them all plus an extra artificial biome for the sake of another shader pass? I've seen you use more system resources for less of an excuse.

There are 5. RIght now there are only 2 good biomes, desert and forest. Nobody likes the rest. I'd like to see all the biomes interesting, visually compelling and useful, why add more we can't actually make interesting?

IS there no way to include some of the amazing POI's people are making into the game, like the malls, the huge prison and the like. Would any modder say no if asked to use their stuff.

Hopefully steam workshop allows users to add modded pois to the list and populate their RWG with them.

I think this can be solved without making a single new biome. Within a biome the denisty of trees, grouping of the types, grouping of size, and combinations of which shrubs / grasses / trees are found, can emulate "sub biomes".

So basically some areas of the forest biome will have sparce trees while others have thick forrests. Clumps of trees on an area with only genrty rolling hills, other areas may be more hilly and trees spread out more evenly, other places may be very hilly with mostly grasses and shrubs, etc.

Also trees should be affected not only by the angle / steepness of the ground but definitely by the altitude - certain types of trees likes growing on steep slopes!

This is what I am saying. The plains didn't warrant a biome, it can be done better with just a bit of code allowing for sub biome size to be determined, the rest is just decorations which are already supported.

I think the updated player animations is something I'm looking forward to the most to up my immersion....?

...oh and the junk drone and sledge as they are completely new mechanics.

Oh! That's right, I forgot about the animations, and the new models look amazing too. Everything looks amazing actually!

Trees aren't voxels any more.

I'm pretty sure you have seen this already but it's crazy how far people are pushing voxels now. I have high hopes for the 7d2d sequels :drunk:. [video=youtube_share;aAgVSTrqNOc]

You mentioned that you'd like to be able to choose quest tiers at the trader. Like if you maxed him out but you're still able to take tier 1 quests if you want. Did that make it for A19?

Archived