Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Having more than 5 biomes doesn't offer anything. I'd rather have 5 unique ones that look amazing, than 10 watered down ones. Currently the burnt forest and wasteland are still pretty ugly and don't offer enough game play or incentive to be there. We need to add better loot to the radiated biome and add unique resources to all biomes.

The burnt forest doesn't need to be a separate biome. Make it a small sub-biome of the forest.

It was the best I could do. :p

Since we are sharing, here is a quick video tour (should be done uploading in 5 minutes) of my WIP air base / horde base on our MP dedicated server.

[video=youtube_share;K_wRIEqP_3U]

• 2 x Sub Floors
  • 1 x Motion Sensor controlled Powered Door
  • 1 x Pissed off Screamer

I'm gone til the 16th. Longer if my cruise gets quarantined.

Be sure to take note of any vegans when you board.

If you end up having to eat each other to survive they'll probably be the first to drop and you know they're corn-fed and free-range :-)

Dear Pimps,

why do we get "lighter" if we move in the game? standing player are less light than walking and running player at night are lighter than standing at day.

Another thing is - 2 different crafting outputs - please; I dont know how I should be able to craft a drone but I would love to be smart enough to dont cook my bottled water in a pot and eat it after (or get it magical back).

keep going with ya work ?

Dear Pimps,

why do we get "lighter" if we move in the game? standing player are less light than walking and running player at night are lighter than standing at day.

Another thing is - 2 different crafting outputs - please; I dont know how I should be able to craft a drone but I would love to be smart enough to dont cook my bottled water in a pot and eat it after (or get it magical back).

keep going with ya work ?

Are you referring to the book that lowers encumbrance at night?

A full biome is not the right way to do an open field of grass. We need larger sub biomes so we can do it properly. Its only interesting if its a contrast to another space that has more trees, etc. An entire biome that is just nothing but grass doesn't offer much of interest or game play, you could see everything coming for a mile.

Okay... I was going to leave RWG as a dead donkey and ignore it until it became a problem. Half a bottle of Polish Vodka and a smattering of Jim Beam has led me to ask...

Do you not think you've crippled RWG with a four biome limit? Let's face it, there are about seven distinct biomes on the planet, could you not incorporate them all plus an extra artificial biome for the sake of another shader pass? I've seen you use more system resources for less of an excuse.

IS there no way to include some of the amazing POI's people are making into the game, like the malls, the huge prison and the like. Would any modder say no if asked to use their stuff.

Yes, just go to "game modification/prefabs". I know at least Stallionsden has them in modlet form so its easy to add.

The "refreshing" of a POI in a fully destrucable world is probably the best solution in order to ensure the quest can still be completed. Without the "refreshing" I am sure it becomes programmically more difficult to maintain available quest integrity. If too much loot abundance is the issue, perhaps a good alternative is to implement some type of cooldown before that given quest can be given again (e.g. similar to loot respawn timer)...OR perhaps a setting that allows a quest for a given POI to be only given out 1 time only! (e.g. similar no loot respawn but for quests) :)

How about if the POI reset simply reset everything except the respawn timer on the loot boxes?

Seems like best of both worlds...

How about if the POI reset simply reset everything except the respawn timer on the loot boxes?

Seems like best of both worlds...

I do not think it is that easy. The reset actually remakes the entire POI block by block, including air (which is why all world spawned and player placed blocks are erased when it happens). This also causes all placeholder blocks to reset and reroll, which controls a lot of the varied content in a POI, including if some block actually is a loot container or not (open and closed cupboards etc). So they would need to change their system to make something like that work, since this reset also actually causes the quest container to spawn (the satchel), which otherwise does not spawn.

I am sure its possible for them to create a light reset, where just a couple of things are reset to place the quest satchel and the sleepers are reset. The resetting of the entire POI is probably the easiest solution they implemented when they added these quests, but it would be nice if they would invest some more dev time to improve it and make it more immersive and less abusive.

A full biome is not the right way to do an open field of grass. We need larger sub biomes so we can do it properly. Its only interesting if its a contrast to another space that has more trees, etc. An entire biome that is just nothing but grass doesn't offer much of interest or game play, you could see everything coming for a mile.

I think this can be solved without making a single new biome. Within a biome the denisty of trees, grouping of the types, grouping of size, and combinations of which shrubs / grasses / trees are found, can emulate "sub biomes".

So basically some areas of the forest biome will have sparce trees while others have thick forrests. Clumps of trees on an area with only genrty rolling hills, other areas may be more hilly and trees spread out more evenly, other places may be very hilly with mostly grasses and shrubs, etc.

Also trees should be affected not only by the angle / steepness of the ground but definitely by the altitude - certain types of trees likes growing on steep slopes!

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived