Bolts and arrows

Dimpy

Considering the recent streamling of inventory items, what are your thoughts on arrows and crossbow bolts being combined into the same item? Is that consistent with TFP's design principles? Is that something you would want?

I'm not particularly supportive of this kind simplification, but I have been annoyed a few times at having to leave bolts behind, so I'd be willing to see them go if it meant saving something else.

(Full disclaimer, I have not played A18)

Technically, you could use the same arrow for both if they only have two flight stabilizers. The only significant difference between the two is length.

You can certainly use an arrow on a crossbow, but you can't really get a good draw on a crossbow bolt on a bow.

Other than that, the difference is negligible.

With that said, if I was in a survival situation, and I had a crossbow and a bow, I would ONLY be making Arrows with two flights.

I would agree except when you get into higher powered/compound crossbow bolts should be different lengths. I would never dare try the bows longer arrow on my horton 225, I'm afraid it would rip itself apart when I pulled the trigger and something went wonky. Also like you said a compound bow would likely not engage the wheel/pulleys with the shorter quarrel.

Honestly I hope they keep bolts/arrows separate. No reason to completely cater to the xbox crowd and oversimplify everything.

Hmm. They don't need to be the same item, but it'd be nice if scrapping arrows/bolts gave you both the arrowhead and the feathers/polymer back, so you could quickly turn them into the type of ammo you need.

Scrapping an arrow and getting a bit of iron is annoying. Especially if it was a steel one.

I'd love to be able to pull the head off a steel arrow and just fit it onto whatever I need at the time.

I wouldn't doubt that this already crossed their mind.

I'm going to guess that it was brought up, but they said no to their own thoughts because of some stats being tied to ammunition.

For example, a stone arrow has gravity of -4 and a projectile velocity of 45

A stone bolt with gravity of -3 and a projectile velocity of 67.5

There's also the base entity and block damage differences.

Hmm. They don't need to be the same item, but it'd be nice if scrapping arrows/bolts gave you both the arrowhead and the feathers/polymer back, so you could quickly turn them into the type of ammo you need.

I agree with that in theory, but in practice that would immediately turn into an XP exploit.

Archived