Where do you get mechanical parts from when you're starting a new game ?

Grolbu

You need a wrench to get mechanical parts from things you take apart. But you need mechanical parts to make a wrench. Are there any common hiding places for mechanical parts ?

I've checked every sink I've found but no sign of a wrench yet, and I can't find any mechanical parts. I've found a full set of working crafting tables in my travels and I have the skill so I could make one if I had mechanical parts, but ..... I have however accumulated almost a full chest of things worth selling so I'll head to the Trader when he opens and I'm not leaving until he finds me a wrench, but surely there is a better way ?

It'll be more of a problem without a wrench. In A18 I rarely find mechanical parts in "common loot" and as far as I know nothing scraps to them.

My tip, and it's indirect, is to keep looting houses and you'll find a wrench. They seem in even more plentiful supply (albeit of low quality) than A17, imo.

wrench those swiveling leather office chairs instead of picking them up and scrapping (place em back down and wrench em if you grab and go from a POI) Also the filing cabinets

Half the fun of a wrench is the "does this wrench or does this pickaxe" game.

Half the fun of a wrench is the "does this wrench or does this pickaxe" game.

And A18 added a twist (at least I don't recall this being in A17) where if you're a bit too far away, the wrench attacks (and hits) on left-click. Get closer and it wrenches. So make sure you're close enough for the test before you break out the pick-axe!

And A18 added a twist (at least I don't recall this being in A17) where if you're a bit too far away, the wrench attacks (and hits) on left-click. Get closer and it wrenches. So make sure you're close enough for the test before you break out the pick-axe!

Yeah, that happened in previous alphas too.

to the original point of the thread, if someone else comes looking for the answer:

Easiest way to get mechanical parts is with a wrench, which are BEST found in sinks or working stiffs boxes.

It is possible to just find mechanical parts, but they're MUCH rarer...working stiffs boxes can have them.

Archived