What is wrong with melee?

Viktoriusiii

I agree with you completely but just wanted to add...

Baseball Bat >> Re-enforced Metal Club.

My tier 2 (found) Bat with 1 mod does much more damage than my tier 6 Club with 4 mods and is much more effective

Wish I could find a better one.

Baseball bat counts as a club so it was included in club.

Killing floor 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 do melee weapons right. In 7 days to die it just seems off.

Dead Island and Dying Light as well, to stay within the genre. But Fallout and Skyrim do it better as well, and their systems weren't even particularly good. Hell, even Minecraft feels better from what I remember, at least I knew what I was gong to hit when I swung my weapon.

I really don't get why 7DtD has to do it both differently and worse than any other melee combat I've ever played. Makes melee totally unfit for the later gamestages.

For me Melee is nearly the best its ever been .

Shamway Factory with a Baseball bat = no probs

What difficulty though? if your on adventurer or nomad, its not surprizing as both are rather jokes difficulty wise, nomad a little less so, as at least on nomad zombies do their full damage and the player doesn't get a huge damage bonus vs zombies. Mind you sledge/clubs (including baseball bat) are really the onyl viable melee weapons later on, not just because of the weapon itself, but because of sex t-rex being in the same tree, and when you get 5/5 in that, you can power attack 1 hit kill things with a sledgehammer for 0 stam cost, as the kill shot refils the 25 stam or so it cost for the power attack. Assuming you 1 shot with it.

I did a couple tests on a row of Zeds in DM .. (press alt when spawning 25, makes for a nice row)

It's pretty .. undescribable. Fun, while testing, but ... ouch :)

Zeds 1,2,3,4 standing in a row. Swing a sledge between 2 and 3, missing both intentionally. 1 and 4 lose their heads to the glancing blow, 2 and 3 are unaffected.. :)

In the actual game, couple issues

- it feels like there's a minimum range, especially when you get a rager in your face, it's not registering any hits. This could also be a short timing issue with hit boxes, as the timing from "getting enraged" to "getting in your face" is pretty standard 0.1 seconds or so, so maybe the animation change messes up hit boxes entirely. Would need to test properly, but not the easiest to set up

- a zombie that is getting up doesn't seem to register head hits.. plenty of grass and clay gathered from behind the head. I miss some myself of course, I know I think I miss less than I do - :) - but I don't miss THAT much on a mechanic that seems identical to A17.

I checked this out trying to find out more of A18, skip forward to 9:41 and ignore the rest I guess. Maybe this is not what is brought up here but it seems to be about the same as A17

and the zombies are getting knocked off their feet.

I do not see this issue with the sledgehammer in this video but then again I have not played A18 yet and maybe this guy is playing on the easiest level too, I don't know.

This video has made me want to try it out.

I agree with the OP. The weapons feel like they have no "weight" behind them, as if they are made of paper. It's a weird phenomenon that swings that are supposed to connect don't and the ones that miss hit. I remember having my crosshairs on a zombies head, then power attacking and the club hit his arm first and completely missed his head. Even thought my crosshairs were directly on it. This happens a lot.

I wonder if your first contact is a glancing blow then any other hit is negated. Like only one hit per entity - per swing.

Edit: Gotta say, I'm not a fan of the new animations either. They look unnatural and a lot of them cover up a large portion of the screen when performed. Don't know what could be done about this though.

Agree to most of the criticisms here. Should be looked over again by the pimps.

Machete is pretty cool now tho. It's the exact opposite here. Both attacks have a nice swing and impact to them now with okay range and staggering Zs at cost of hit frequency, which gets canceled out fast with 2 or 3 perks. Bleeding damage seems to have more of an impact as well.

Guess most people are trying out the new spear/ bats, or disregarding the blade weapons because of being used to them sucking :]

I agree with the OP. The weapons feel like they have no "weight" behind them, as if they are made of paper. It's a weird phenomenon that swings that are supposed to connect don't and the ones that miss hit. I remember having my crosshairs on a zombies head, then power attacking and the club hit his arm first and completely missed his head. Even thought my crosshairs were directly on it. This happens a lot.

I wonder if your first contact is a glancing blow then any other hit is negated. Like only one hit per entity - per swing.

Edit: Gotta say, I'm not a fan of the new animations either. They look unnatural and a lot of them cover up a large portion of the screen when performed. Don't know what could be done about this though.

Yep i agree. My thoughts are there's 2 systems in place regarding how a hit is registered. The first is the original hit detection from A17, the other is the new glancing blow system. If one engages then the other is canceled out and hence a body shot occurs when aiming for the head so it really is a hit and miss system. If a glancing blow is registered then along the arc there are only a certain number of points that will "engage" before a time out is initiated and it's also missing depth from the hitting position it occurred from.

The animations are quite good imo, but they just need follow through and animation cancelling for feedback which will add weight behind the hit. Its all about how your mind perceives movement based on physics. Most likely all this is reasonably difficult to implement though and its a matter of dev time vs other important factors, or its just too difficult and deep to flesh out period.

The glancing system was actually suggested by a forum member and was then implemented into A18 so its only the first iteration. It was then realised with this system you could now multi hit zombies with a power attack(during experimental from feedback) so there's a lot of new info and mechanics that were never fleshed out.

i play most of the time melee only. Mostly out of habbit from past alphas where ammunition was spare and rare.

Not with the sledge , as i feel it is too slow. I use the clubs.

Already in Alpha 17 there where complains that clubs animation looks and feels horrible. It got worse in Alpha 18. Already in 17 zombies had same/more range then clubs, specially if you had a lag/bad connnection. In A18 it feels even worse. I died already 5 times on day 1 to 2 zombies. Never happened ever before.

You don't actually know the range from the animation, you hit a zombie behind a zombie even you target the front one. You hit elbows even your marker is on the head and zombie veeery close etc etc etc....

I think there is a sound bug too. I am using a Baseball bat, and find that quite often even when I hit directly, even when the target is staggered or knocked down, the sounds of the impact is either non-existent, or is the sound the bat would make if I had hit some wall or furniture. Pretty sure this is not helping.

We fixed a glancing blows bug and a bug where some hits didn't even register.

Nice! I was a little bummed at first when I couldn't hit with the sledge or a club, but once I found the fortitude build I'm having an insane amount of fun "chuck norris"ing stuff :D

I think there is a sound bug too. I am using a Baseball bat, and find that quite often even when I hit directly, even when the target is staggered or knocked down, the sounds of the impact is either non-existent, or is the sound the bat would make if I had hit some wall or furniture. Pretty sure this is not helping.

There is 2 distinct sounds now for a solid hit and a glancing blow on all weapons, but considering it was buggy you would try for a direct hit but on some occasions it would commence a glancing blow and hence the sound you hear. It will be interesting to see how its fixed in the next patch.

Archived