Weapon Attachments

andrewcu

I started messing with weapon attachments finally yesterday and realized that there is no actual way to figure what is compatible with what weapon. I have several attachments that will not attach to anything i have so i have no idea what they go to. Is there a guide to these? I tried looking on the wiki but i was not successful in finding a dedicated page to it

When you open the modify interface for a tool, weapon, vehicle, or armor the mods in your inventory that can be used with that item will indicate it by having their little gear icon glow green. So just have your mods equipped and then open the interface and you will know.

In most cases it should be obvious, like not being able to use a silencer with a blunderbuss or revolver or a large scope with a pistol that is smaller than the scope.

it's not obvious at all; plenty of incompatible items SHOULD work together, but don't. OP is correct: the user interface/UX for this particular feature is bare bones at best and requires trial and error.

When you open the modify interface for a tool, weapon, vehicle, or armor the mods in your inventory that can be used with that item will indicate it by having their little gear icon glow green. So just have your mods equipped and then open the interface and you will know.

I do see this, and this is the problem. A few of the attachments i have do not glow green for anything. I dont remember which ones off the top of my head. I will get the names and report back tomorrow. Maybe im just missing something.

It's also not clear what mods can't be added together. For instance, I can't have rad remover and weighted head in my sledgehammer at the same time. I don't know if one of these mods are taking up more than 1 slot, or if they simply can't be used together. They both flash green, but they aren't both usable. I don't know why, and the game doesn't tell me why.

I do see this, and this is the problem. A few of the attachments i have do not glow green for anything. I dont remember which ones off the top of my head. I will get the names and report back tomorrow. Maybe im just missing something.

Not all extensions are for weapons. Some are for armor or tools.

Not all extensions are for weapons. Some are for armor or tools.

I know one of them off hand is a pocket extender essentially. What is this supposed to go on? I tried everything i could think of besides clothing, is this where it belongs?

Is there any chance that these things can be consistently called Attachments in the in-game text, so we're not using the word Mod for two different things?

I'm partial to "Customizations", but otherwise a big +1 to this idea.

-Morloc

If you look at it you can see the retractable stock.

You've not taken any classes in user experience design, have you? There are certain little things TFP could do to make the game experience smoother, easier to understand, and less "figuring things out." Your responses seem to suggest that TFP are firmly in the camp of "figure our game out through trial and error and squinting at icons" vs "let's make the interface so smooth and easy to use, so obvious, that it's not a distraction to the game itself."

I work with one of the best UX designers on the planet imho, so I tend to fall into the second camp. But it never ceases to amaze me how TFP could, easily, just do little tweaks and noodles, but don't want to ... because it's not "math enough" or something. Like a cleaner, easier, UX isn't man-enough or is a sign of weakness.

You've not taken any classes in user experience design, have you? There are certain little things TFP could do to make the game experience smoother, easier to understand, and less "figuring things out." Your responses seem to suggest that TFP are firmly in the camp of "figure our game out through trial and error and squinting at icons" vs "let's make the interface so smooth and easy to use, so obvious, that it's not a distraction to the game itself."

I work with one of the best UX designers on the planet imho, so I tend to fall into the second camp. But it never ceases to amaze me how TFP could, easily, just do little tweaks and noodles, but don't want to ... because it's not "math enough" or something. Like a cleaner, easier, UX isn't man-enough or is a sign of weakness.

That has GOT to be the ONLY possible explanation. Dang! GG TFP.

No, I wasn't talking about the icon. The model of the weapon has a retracting stock.

Purposely ignoring a very fair point. SMH.

- - - Updated - - -

That has GOT to be the ONLY possible explanation. Dang! GG TFP.

She's assuming because of the responses she's receiving. When people make good, fair suggestions and have them ignored because "look at the model, duh"...what other course is left?

Gazz was saying the gun already has a retracting stock which is why it won’t take the folding stock which is the direct answer to the question that was asked. I don’t think his answer was that ambiguous and it had nothing to do with whether they will eventually get everything all tool tipped up and well documented in the future.

Shaking my own head more vigorously than you...

Considering there are still many attachments that are not even active yet I assumed this was just the downside of playing when the game is not released and (more importantly really) this particular feature is woefully incomplete. They just have not finished it yet.

I imagine that at some point the descriptions will be more complete and give us more of an idea what we are dealing with as well as refinements in what attachments can be used in conjunction with each other.

As far as the SMG goes - I think it is rather odd to think that a gamer will look at the model of the smg and glean anything out of it at all. A stock should be able to be applied to any weapon that reasonably has a stock. Making a weapon that already has it on but no real indication that is the case (as well as reducing our utility with the attachments we find) just does not make sense.

- - - Updated - - -

You know, I actually agree with your point in general. It is a poor answer as to why the stock does not apply to the smg.

However, why do you expect anything other than an outright rejection of your point when you start with:

"You've not taken any classes in user experience design, have you?"

That is rather insulting tbh and, if I were the target of the statement, I would not give you the time of day either....

Archived